The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 21, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #15,857 of 19,652
  Has anyone compared the sound from FiiO X5 vs Light Harmonic Geek Wave? They seema´s to be in about the same league!?

/ Mikael Markstrom

The entry level Geek Wave Flex is approximately the same price as the X5, but none of the Geek Wave players are currently in production and therefor not widely available to the public. There may possibly be some beta testers out there, but I don't think so. The Geek wave's latest tentative release date is July 2015, but the original release date has already been pushed back several times so the likelihood of it being pushed back again is very high.

There is another thread currently that addresses the Geek Wave players and specifically how many Head-Fi members are taking issue with how Light Harmonic, the company behind the Geek Wave is conducting their marketing of the various Geek Wave players. Just look at the ad at the top right of this page.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #15,859 of 19,652
  i totally disagree with their marketing. it does not even matter if their player is better. they should never do a marketing like they do.

x5 is an amazing device nevertheless.

i agree.
All it does is put me off Geek Wave.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #15,860 of 19,652
  Hi guys
I have a problem with my device that is a little weird. I'm kind of sure that the volume from right side is more than the left side. Sometimes it is solved by just a socket movement, sometimes it isn't.
Does anyone else who has [size=12.8000001907349px]the same [/size]experience?

No, it's not the case.
I've tested for that problem too, I've tested with different headphones and I wore headphone inversely. At the end, I listened via line out. The weirdest thing is that the problem doesn't occur at a consistent rate. Sometimes [size=12.8000001907349px]it's obvious[/size], sometimes it is subtle and sometimes [size=12.8000001907349px]there is no problem at all.[/size]

Hey guys, I'm quoting my post from more than three months ago to report something.

After assuring about my problem, I gave my player to authorize dealer of Fiio in my country. After a while, they approved the problem and gave me a new device. The whole process took around 5 weeks. Here are some interesting facts:
1- Touching the scroll feels differently and pressing main button feels differently too.
2- I think that screen has better picture quality.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #15,861 of 19,652
But what if you used the Geek Wave with a BALANCED CABLE??!!

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #15,863 of 19,652
50 shades of balanced cables

One flew over the balanced cable
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #15,864 of 19,652
hi guys
So after 4 months of use the headphone output of my X5 start making problems.
if i plug my headphones i hear the clicking sound of the relay but no sound comes out
but when i try several more times to plug-out and then plug-in after 40-50 times it suddenly start producing sound..and than as long as the X5 in on and the headphones connected i will hear just fine.. 
but when the battery is over or I turn Off the X5 the problem return.

anybody had similar problem?
FW ver 2.4

thanks in advance   

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #15,865 of 19,652
  The entry level Geek Wave Flex is approximately the same price as the X5, but none of the Geek Wave players are currently in production and therefor not widely available to the public. There may possibly be some beta testers out there, but I don't think so. The Geek wave's latest tentative release date is July 2015, but the original release date has already been pushed back several times so the likelihood of it being pushed back again is very high.

There is another thread currently that addresses the Geek Wave players and specifically how many Head-Fi members are taking issue with how Light Harmonic, the company behind the Geek Wave is conducting their marketing of the various Geek Wave players. Just look at the ad at the top right of this page.

Ok, thank´s for that information. It´s strange Light Harmonic claim they has the most selling HiDef player if it´s not even in production!?

I also agree the X5 is a lovely unit, and well worth the price! Not at least now with the new firmware 2.4, when the 5800 file limit has gone and it´s possible to play songs in a row through different folders - that was what I asked for most to Joe at FiiO here at Head-fi, so they really listen us users.

/ Mikael Markstrom

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #15,866 of 19,652
  Ok, thank´s for that information. It´s strange Light Harmonic claim they has the most selling HiDef player if it´s not even in production!?

Precisely the reason I question their marketing and doubt their product. If it turns out great then all the power to them, but I won't be a customer because of their vibe alone.

On the other hand FiiO has worked very hard at ironing out the bugs and brought great players to market at a great price.

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #15,867 of 19,652
mikaelmar said:

/ Mikael Markstrom

Well, the Geek Wave is a fundraising project and as such investors agree to pay up front for a unit, usually at a discounted rate and usually months, or in the case of the Wave, well over a year in advance of the actual release of the product. Technically there is no deception here. A sale is a sale whether or not the product is actually in production or not.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #15,869 of 19,652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back