The discovery thread!
Nov 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #16,501 of 102,913
  @ericp10 - Easily convincing people to spend money since 2009.

beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #16,502 of 102,913
But I spend my own money too caracara08. I don't share in the profits when I tell people enthusiastically about the products I've heard (no judgmental chart action here) and like.

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #16,504 of 102,913
I just purchased an Earth, Wind & Fire Greatest Hits cd!
Inspired by all this Monster Gratitude talk around here...

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #16,505 of 102,913
Speaking of the devil! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I hope it's worth the 3 weeks wait!
Impressions coming soon...

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #16,506 of 102,913
those look yummy and sleek 

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #16,507 of 102,913
So my saga with the gratitudes have reached an end. It was the seal. My god. Punchy ass bass. Awesome. Thanks all for the advice. Now I just need a good source from the computer. My sound card sucks ass. Recommend me a usb amp/DAC. I'm ready to order right now. This is dangerous territory but I've been drinking.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #16,508 of 102,913
  So my saga with the gratitudes have reached an end. It was the seal. My god. Punchy ass bass. Awesome. Thanks all for the advice. Now I just need a good source from the computer. My sound card sucks ass. Recommend me a usb DAC. I'm ready to order right now. This is dangerous territory but I've been drinking.

HifimeDIY Sabre U2. Cheap, awesome sound, and it can power most in-ears and headphones just fine on its own without needing an amp. Once you decide on an amp, the $60 SMSL sAP II pro is great.

The O2+ODAC and Modi+Magni are also great first amp/dacs. Still, the Sabre and SMSL is my preferred setup, and I used to have the $300+ Audio-GD NFB 11.32. That's another great value in an amp/dac.

Then it starts getting nutty into the $999 and up range.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #16,509 of 102,913
  Ya they have almost an overly forward sound signature on open box. I can confirm the treble is somewhat hidden on open box. My pair has been burning since I got them. The whole sound tightens up and while I should be posting this on the 480 thread. I will later.

I just did an A/B against my now burned in 480 vs my Onkyo headphones and I was very surprised but the Onkyos have a very flat sound compared to the Panas..

I know them Panasonics sound a bit off on open box but you can't really hear them in what they can do on just open box impressions of them.. I know we are all in a hurry to be impressed by initial listening of a phone but I can assure anyone that is willing to give these a try. You have to burn them in..The drivers have zero burn in on them from factory..

But if patience is not an option. I would just return them.

Patience not an issue, since Amazon is now in its long-term return window (until Jan. 31 on all purchases). I'll let them burn in over the weekend and see what gives. I did manage to EQ them a bit and they sounded better, and they do have a very nice wide sound, and the bass is impressive. So not giving up yet, OTOB impressions are often not accurate. I was just surprised at the sound is all. Will check back later with my POV.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #16,510 of 102,913
  HifimeDIY Sabre U2. Cheap, awesome sound, and it can power most in-ears and headphones just fine on its own without needing an amp. Once you decide on an amp, the $60 SMSL sAP II pro is great.

The O2+ODAC and Modi+Magni are also great first amp/dacs. Still, the Sabre and SMSL is my preferred setup, and I used to have the $300+ Audio-GD NFB 11.32. That's another great value in an amp/dac.

Then it starts getting nutty into the $999 and up range.

+1 on the HifimeDIY Sabre dac.

I haven't tried the SMSL, but I'll throw in a big recommendation for the C&C BH2 amp ($100).

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #16,512 of 102,913
  So my saga with the gratitudes have reached an end. It was the seal. My god. Punchy ass bass. Awesome. Thanks all for the advice. Now I just need a good source from the computer. My sound card sucks ass. Recommend me a usb amp/DAC. I'm ready to order right now. This is dangerous territory but I've been drinking.

Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII with ADA4627 opamp. Portable to boot!

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #16,513 of 102,913

+1 on the HifimeDIY Sabre dac.

I haven't tried the SMSL, but I'll throw in a big recommendation for the C&C BH2 amp ($100).

No portable amps for me. 1000mW minimum at 32ohm or bust. The SMSL hits that (more powerful than the O2), and has a nice aluminum shell for $55.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #16,514 of 102,913
Got some Comply TSX200 (Comfort Plus) tips for the Gratitude's and while it does lower the bass impact it clears up everything else and makes these some of the airiest yet cleanest headphones that I have ever heard. I would actually say I enjoy them more than I did the Turbine Pro Coppers. If anyone wants a comparison with the VSD1 classics (Cardboard ©) I'll try my hand at writing one.

Listening to James Arthur's debut album and it's pretty great sounding on these headphones. KEF 200 are now high priority after all the great things I'm reading in this thread.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #16,515 of 102,913

Told you :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back