The discovery thread!
Nov 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #16,516 of 101,729
  No portable amps for me. 1000mW minimum at 32ohm or bust. The SMSL hits that (more powerful than the O2), and has a nice aluminum shell for $55.

I actually use my Fiio E12 off of the HifimeDIY. I see that it is 880mW at 32ohm - close! But even though the C&C BH2 is less powerful, it sounds great off of the HifimeDIY as well (although I do mainly use it off of the Colorfly C3).

Anyway, I'm going to look into the SMSL myself - thanks.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #16,517 of 101,729
So my saga with the gratitudes have reached an end. It was the seal. My god. Punchy ass bass. Awesome. Thanks all for the advice. Now I just need a good source from the computer. My sound card sucks ass. Recommend me a usb amp/DAC. I'm ready to order right now. This is dangerous territory but I've been drinking.

Dude the eartips included... About 1 out of the 12ish pairs fit properly lol

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #16,518 of 101,729
Generally, when the bass is MIA on a known iem, fit is likely to be the culprit.
Am away for the weekend, was using logitech 700's, which are supposed to be a poor man's triple-fi 10,and I've liked them because they are an easy fit. Was using iPad, watching Supernatural, and found dialog unclear with the Logitech. Changed to the Gratitudes, dialog cleared up, sound much better, impressive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #16,519 of 101,729
What I'd like is a lightweight, comfortable over-ears set of headphones with roughly the sound signature of the Gratitudes. I'm striking out lately on headphones. I bought a set of DJ100's because they were cheap and loved by some on here. I found them lacking in bass and excessively bright. Then I got the Panasonics HT480s and found them too muddy and veiled. If only I could have crossbred those two!

No offense meant to anyone who loves the Koss or Panny. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #16,521 of 101,729
  What I'd like is a lightweight, comfortable over-ears set of headphones with roughly the sound signature of the Gratitudes. I'm striking out lately on headphones. I bought a set of DJ100's because they were cheap and loved by some on here. I found them lacking in bass and excessively bright. Then I got the Panasonics HT480s and found them too muddy and veiled. If only I could have crossbred those two!

biggrin.gif

Alpha dogs for you! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #16,523 of 101,729

I guess that's what I get for not mentioning a price range! $600 headphones are a bit... beyond my current level of addiction. 
ksc75smile.gif

I was considering Amperiors now that they are in the $150-ish range, but I'm worried being on-ears that they wouldn't meet the comfort requirement.

I kinda thought you might come back with a response like that!

One set of quasi-portable, good looking, comfortable and yet not too horribly expensive headphones (ie $250) that are on my radar are the AKG 545's. If the notoriously picky dweaver is enjoying them as much as he is, then they gotta be good, right? 
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/670709/akg-new-headphone-k545

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #16,524 of 101,729

biggrin.gif

No offense taken..I like more styles of sound more than most so I can understand..I didn't care too much for the DJ100s myself.. Ended up selling mines a long time ago.
  Gentlemen. How is the Nuforce Icon uDac-3?

Really good little and powerful dac amp..A bit under the radar with the Geek stuff that will be out soon but the Geeks will cost much more now for people that didn't know anything about them..There is a used uDac-2 on the sales forums for something like $50. I have no doubt it should sound excellent for the price. I would go for that as a starting point and save some money..http://www.head-fi.org/t/687954/nuforce-udac-2#post_9931748

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #16,525 of 101,729
1)anyone have experience with Creative Aurvana 3? Marked down significantly on Amazon, found 1 thread that really liked it.
2)Bought 3 over/on ear headphones recently...Did a comparison some pages back. Martin Logan Mikros 90, on ear, incredibly revealing, detailed, large soundstage, bass there, but would like to feel it more. I find them not bad comfort wise, my wife hates them. Breyer DT1350 similar, not quite as wide or detailed (but more than enough), good bass, again, on ear, many find uncomfortable, pobably best sounding of the three. Last, Pioneer HDJ 2000, softer/warmer mids, less detail, over ear, incredibly comfortable! Put on Hifiman pads, taped some vents, sharper,,,I'm not a modder, but may open them, add some damping material, they're so comfortable, worth the trouble to get most out of them IMO, DS has the 1500, same drivers, were on sale Best Buy $79, probably be available discounted again at some point, he liked them very much. (Beyer 770 on sale Best Buy, haven't heard them, but if they sound like 1350 and as over ear more comfortable, may be good bet @ $150...

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #16,526 of 101,729
So I just had one of those Aha moments. I was messing around with my X3 today and I have no idea why I have never messed with the simple treble and bass boost on this player..I was messing around with the Panasonics with the X3 and I was thinking maybe I need to try this treble and bass out..I added 2 clicks of treble and lowered 2 clicks of bass and lo n behold. I got a completely new sound from the Panas..I also have my Shure pads on and I think I will stay with these pads on here as it gives more room for the sound.

As for the sound? Kinda like a more mid forward X1.. I like it!

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #16,527 of 101,729
  So I just had one of those Aha moments. I was messing around with my X3 today and I have no idea why I have never messed with the simple treble and bass boost on this player..I was messing around with the Panasonics with the X3 and I was thinking maybe I need to try this treble and bass out..I added 2 clicks of treble and lowered 2 clicks of bass and lo n behold. I got a completely new sound from the Panas..I also have my Shure pads on and I think I will stay with these pads on here as it gives more room for the sound.

As for the sound? Kinda like a more mid forward X1.. I like it!

I'm not sure if you caught my post about me liking the Gratitudes more than the AD900X. If you did, do you have any idea if the X3 will quell my gripes with the AD900X?

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #16,528 of 101,729
I haven't been listening to my AD900X in a while but I will try them out with the player. Let you know when I get a chance tomorrow. I am thinking the sound signature of the X3 will do better for the AD900X over the DX50. 

The bass end of the X3 is more emphasized over the DX50 so this should help the AD900X even more so..

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #16,529 of 101,729
  I haven't been listening to my AD900X in a while but I will try them out with the player. Let you know when I get a chance tomorrow. I am thinking the sound signature of the X3 will do better for the AD900X over the DX50. 

The bass end of the X3 is more emphasized over the DX50 so this should help the AD900X even more so..

I know the X3 will be better for the AD900X for sure. And I also know that the DX50 would sound better with the Gratitudes. I think the AD900X's need for an amp is a lot more crucial than with the Monsters though.

On another note you've got me very excited for those over-ears by Philips that are coming out. $300 is a decent price tag, but after reading that review I'm definitely tempted.

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #16,530 of 101,729
On another note you've got me very excited for those over-ears by Philips that are coming out. $300 is a decent price tag, but after reading that review I'm definitely tempted.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back