The discovery thread!
Jun 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #11,359 of 100,551
Quote:
are those the controversial headphones i've been reading about?

Not controversial, it's just that that company tried to do some shady stuff here on head-fi by making threads/ impressions to hype them up so they can have more sales. (And failed horribly at that cuz they were lazy as sh!T with replies/ inquiries, etc) I mean if you gonna do that at least be ready to ship them out ASAP for international requests/orders, so it was a totally stupid and nonsensical move.

I don't want to give them any attention so i will just refer to them as the Corecool lookalikes if they indeed end up sounding the same. From Lifted's impressions so far, i think they are the same iems.

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #11,362 of 100,551
Quote:
Not controversial, it's just that that company tried to do some shady stuff here on head-fi by making threads/ impressions to hype them up so they can have more sales. (And failed horribly at that cuz they were lazy as sh!T with replies/ inquiries, etc) I mean if you gonna do that at least be ready to ship them out ASAP for international requests/orders, so it was a totally stupid and nonsensical move.

I don't want to give them any attention so i will just refer to them as the Corecool lookalikes if they indeed end up sounding the same. From Lifted's impressions so far, i think they are the same iems.

ah ok thanks

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #11,364 of 100,551
Quote:
What would be considered next level upgrade to the cks1000? Something with equal or better bass.

Maybe the ASG-2???
triportsad.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/664613/review-aurisonics-asg-2-1plus2-tg334-senn-ie800-flat-4-rdb-2v1-in-2nd-post

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #11,365 of 100,551
Quote:
What would be considered next level upgrade to the cks1000? Something with equal or better bass.

I'm sure that eric will say the $250 H-200's. And he will say that the next level upgrade from the H-200's would be the $550 ASG-2. And the next level upgrade from the ASG-2's would be the various +$1000 options lol.

Which is why the H-200's are gonna have to be my end game!

Jun 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #11,367 of 100,551
So I'vee been A/Bing the CKN70 (with about 50 hours burn-in) to the RE-400 (with about four hours burn-in):

CKN70: A noticeably wider soundstage than the RE-400 (not significantly wider, but it's noticeable). Notes are a bit more thicker than the RE-400 (but not by much). Definitely more bass and treble is on the verge of being too harsh. This is marvelously refined sounding earphone (although the cable still bugs the hell out of me).

RE-400: A bit smaller soundstage, but the RE-400 clearly wins hands down in refinement, clarity, and details details details!! Someone described these as microscopic earphones. That person didn't lie. The RE-400 seems to slice right down to the heart of the notes. Female vocals (and male) are some of the most natural sounding I've heard. Notes are just a little bit shy of the 3-Dism of the CK70, but not by much. Yes, the CKN70 has the wider soundstage, but the RE-400 win in depth back and forth. I mean the notes are so rich, but detailed and clear, unlike the CKM500. There is better instrument separation in the re-400. And with all the clarity , the bass is still there and goes deep enought to hear every note. While these aren't bass monsters, the earphones is nowhere near bass deficient. Plenty of audible bass in this balanced and neutral earphone. I didn't want to like the Re-400, but it's irresistible! The timbre and imaging are mindblowing. This earphone belongs here in great finds, but you will be hard pressed to find a better sounding earphone at original $100 MSRP. I know some of you may be reluctant to try it because of fear of lack of bass, but it's there (about as much as the GR-7, but of better quality) 

waynes world this is like a mixture of the HD70 with more weight and bass, better instrument separations, and way more detail. I hope more of you give this (and the H-200) a chance. 

Both earphones are worthy, but even with the CKN70 being cheaper by $30, the Re-400 is clearly technically better.

Nice impressions on the hifiman. May pick up an re400 soon to compliment my re262

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #11,368 of 100,551
Hey fellas,

any bassheads who have $20 and a best buy/target close should definitely check out the MDR-EX37 "bumpin' buds". I've had them burning in for the better part of the past few days and they've become quite neat. easily the cleanest bass i've heard for this price, and this includes the fx101 from last year.

the bass tightened up and apparently settled down with the jlabs burn in, allowing the highs to come back through.

Any of the fidelio S2 owners out there, how well do they isolate - being semi open-backed? would they be useable say in a train/subway or out on a bustling city street?

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #11,369 of 100,551
Quote:
So we will(in the fall) have a whole new series from AT. The Sonicfuel series topped off by the CKX9...
http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2332

We'll see how much they are and how good they turn out to be
popcorn.gif

so these'd be the upgrade from the old CKX35 ...

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #11,370 of 100,551
Quote:
so these'd be the upgrade from the old CKX35 ...

Doubt that they are related. I think maybe even AT forgot they made those, lol.

I found the EU announcement that introduces them:

"Audio-Technica is introducing its SonicFuel headphones at CEA Line Shows 2013 – a range of six in-ear models designed to take musical enjoyment to greater sonic heights. All the headphones feature ergonomic C-tip earpieces that nestle in the ear for a stay-in-place fit, and the three “iS” models have a built-in microphone for call answering and controls for music playback. Other features including innovative 360-degree rotating ear tips, flat tangle-free cord and useful accessories are also featured on various models throughout the line. The new SonicFuel headphones comprise the ATH-CKX9iS, ATH-CKX9, ATH-CKX7iS, ATH-CKX7, ATH-CKX5iS and ATH-CKX5, with suggested retail prices ranging from £35 inc VAT to £75 inc VAT."

“We named these headphones SonicFuel because they’re created to fuel listeners’ passion for enjoying their favourite music wherever they go,” said Harvey Roberts, Audio-Technica European consumer marketing manager. “They offer all the value, comfort and features people look for in high-quality in-ear headphones, including three models with in-line mic and controller for smartphone compatibility. They also incorporate new drivers and design innovations to deliver outstanding sound.”

Anyway, the talk of new drivers, outstanding sound, value, immersive, etc. All $100 and lower. The price seems low but if the value talk is true( in the same sense of the CLR, CKN) then they should be quite good even if they are cheaper(The lowest price 9 series top model earphone we've seen from AT ). I could see giving the CKX9 a try since it is $100 price point and possibly the new 13.5mm driver is intriguing and might see it tweaked and used in later models like the CKS1000 replacement/upgrade model. They talk of immersive the same way as the CKS but the CKX9 don't have a big housing or extra sound chambers. Interesting to see if and how they accomplish that.

http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=38&prodID=4427

Users who are viewing this thread

Back