The discovery thread!
Jun 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #10,801 of 100,526
Quote:
Just for you Gee. I have my CKN70 hooked up with my CKS1000 I have been listening to all day on my Audinst MX2..

I like to think the CKN70 is a mish mash of older and newer tech from AT. What I mean by this is while it is using some state of the art carbon nanotube Micro HD drivers. The way it was tuned is more traditional in approach over the Solid bass offerings by AT. The CKS1000 on the other hand is using older tech in traditional dynamic drivers but also utilizing some new dual chamber tech in combination with a high resolution large 13mm dynamic. Then added to that some really nice balancing that is nothing short of higher end newer tuning by AT.

I noticed AT goes for 2 types of sound that is attenuated on many of their headphones and earphones. For vocals and one for balance. Both these earphones represent some of the newer type tuning AT has been doing yet the the CKN70 has some similarities to some of their older models more so in sound from any of he newer AT offerings.. When doing this A/B I had a realization that the CKN70 has some similarities in tuning to their old flagship CKM99. The forwardness of the mids with a complete and dynamic full bass end of the CKN70 combined with the fact that it is using Carbon nanotubes in Micro HD form means detail is a plenty for the CKN70..

Listening to the CKN70 now on some vocal tracks..Vocals have a highlighted almost brightness to them because of upper frequency attenuation..This of course would make not only vocals stand out but also instruments stand out which is good for some and not for others. Ie Rock, metal. .So while the mids are forward enough to represent the newer AT balancing they are doing on all their recent offerings..These have vocal enhancement. Especially female vocals and make male vocals sound a bit higher pitched than they actually are or lower based on what part of the frequency the vocal hits. So a bit uneven.  Many enthusiasts want that instrument clarity and separation and while the CKN70 certainly does this well enough this attenuation is also the negative factor for many guys that want something with a bit less enhancement in that region.

Don't know if it is a carbon nanotube thing or not but the highs seem to reach extension with ease on these which is another negative or positive pending on how you like your highs. Treble energy and extension is as dynamic as the bass end on the CKN70s and guys that love a complete bass end sometimes don't feel the same way about the highs. It is a fine line that guys will either love or hate.. Admittedly it has been a while since I listened to the CKN70 and these do sound great but lacks smoothness and better balance of higher end AT sound. So with that said..

Enter the CKS1000. Vocals have much better fullness as well as the instruments you hear around them vocals. More natural? Yes. Better balanced? Yes. Better more refined treble extension? Yes. One of the best I have ever heard at any price without being peaky or fatiguing.. The highs to mids not only have a better refined presence but also has a greater sense of depth and space not too many earphones can match.. The stage, depth is smaller on the CKN70.. And stage is not one of their weaknesses. Why would you pay this much for a higher end AT? Simple.. More refinement my friend. The scale of music is greater more fuller while actually tuned better on the CKS1000.  So while the mids can and does have a bit of brightness on the CKN70 it does have some sweetness and good depth to them as well which makes female vocals sound amazing.  The CKS1000 replaces that with warmth smoothness and better more even balanced and deeper mids.

I have been listening to my CKS1000 all day today for a reason. I can listen to classical to jazz to trance to vocals and these don't skip a beat. I absolutely love these earphones. I can't wait to see what AT does next to top these. A new CKM model perhaps. CKM700 or CKM900???

Wow. Thanks for the great in depth reply, Dsnuts
smile.gif
I think I'll be purchasing the CKS1000 in the next month or so then
biggrin.gif

@ ericp - Those T-PEOS H200's sure sound interesting, but unfortunately I can't find them anywhere online here, only 1 obscure Singaporean site has them.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #10,802 of 100,526
Quote:
Wow. Thanks for the great in depth reply, Dsnuts
smile.gif
I think I'll be purchasing the CKS1000 in the next month or so then
biggrin.gif

@ ericp - Those T-PEOS H200's sure sound interesting, but unfortunately I can't find them anywhere online here, only 1 obscure Singaporean site has them.

Yea Gee, you can't order in the States. I actually had mine sent directly from S. Korea. It was fast and shipping is not that expensive. And that Singapore site is an authorized dealer. It's safe and there should be discount going on once you put it in your basket.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #10,803 of 100,526
The good news here though is I think the difference in sound is enough to keep both around. Different flavors of sound. More AT goodness.

I am eager to hear the CKS77X will report back once I give them a good listen. I think the other phone I am getting will interest many of you guys. We will see.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #10,804 of 100,526
Quote:
I am eager to hear the CKS77X will report back once I give them a good listen. I think the other phone I am getting will interest many of you guys. We will see.

Torture us much? 
size]

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #10,805 of 100,526
So I checked to see the prices for each and the T-PEOS H200 would cost £150.62 ($236.53) with shipping costs included and the CKS1000 would cost £104.28 ($163.76) with shipping costs included.

Oh, and yeah I don't think I would sell my CKN70's anyway as I really like them but I want to go to that next level in sound. This place is infectious that way for relative newcomers to the audio world
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #10,806 of 100,526
Quote:
Oh, and yeah I don't think I would sell my CKN70's anyway as I really like them but I want to go to that next level in sound. This place is infectious. PERIOD! 
size]
size]
size]

Fixed that for you!

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #10,807 of 100,526
Quote:
i think by now its pretty much clear that the corecools v2 with the amazing SFWALCER STELLAR MOD absolutely obliterate the cks1000, right sw ? 
deadhorse.gif
cool.gif

Guess you're trying to be sarcastic, but not really. The corecools does not even best the FXZ200 in the mids and highs, but the less extended highs makes these a more smooth listen cuz it isn't as aggressive as the FXZ200s. Where these cools have that the FXZ200s doesn't have is the massive wide soundstage and transparency. The big soundstage plus amazing big/deep bass of the cools, combined with the pretty great transparent mids and highs makes their sound really addictive to me.

I have no idea about the CKS1Ks since i never heard them before, but from WAYNEs impressions of them sounding like a mix of his WS99 (the solid and deep bass) and his AD900X (huge soundsatge) these CKS1Ks must have a similar sound signature to the corecools. Thought i am sure the mids and highs on the CKS1Ks are more refined and forward than the cools.

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #10,809 of 100,526
Quote:
Guess you're trying to be sarcastic, but not really. The corecools does not even best the FXZ200 in the mids and highs, but the less extended highs makes these a more smooth listen cuz it isn't as aggressive as the FXZ200s. Where these cools have that the FXZ200s doesn't have is the massive wide soundstage and transparency. The big soundstage plus amazing big/deep bass of the cools, combined with the pretty great transparent mids and highs makes their sound really addictive to me.

I have no idea about the CKS1Ks since i never heard them before, but from WAYNEs impressions of them sounding like a mix of his WS99 (the solid and deep bass) and his AD900X (huge soundsatge) these CKS1Ks must have a similar sound signature to the corecools. Thought i am sure the mids and highs on the CKS1Ks are more refined and forward than the cools.

well not fully sarcastic but i was referring more in a fun-addictive way, thanks for the quick comparison though, for the price and the soundstage i think they would make a perfect pair of gaming and gym iems for me, my next purchase combo: cks1000 + corecool v2. thanks mate.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #10,811 of 100,526
Quote:

Happy fathers day for all you dads that follow the thread. Happy fathers day to me cus I got my package today..This AAANND

Thanks, from a sad dad...
My daughter is going off to France for a month (Sad for me, happy for her) but worse, my dog of 14 years is sick and probably not going to make it...

On the other hand, there is the new cks-77x to cheer me up. They are still sealed, when I can pull myself away from the Peos H-200's I'll given them a burn in and listen.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #10,812 of 100,526
Aha sorry to hear that Carlsan. Both my kids and the wife are in Korea right now. Wish I was with them but I have to be in school..But for now I am able to enjoy my weekend with some new phones.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #10,813 of 100,526
^ oh dare. 
triportsad.gif

Yeah happy daddies day head-fi peps.

Quote:
well not fully sarcastic but i was referring more in a fun-addictive way, thanks for the quick comparison though, for the price and the soundstage i think they would make a perfect pair of gaming and gym iems for me, my next purchase combo: cks1000 + corecool v2. thanks mate.

The cools does stick out and is probably not ideal for running, with etc. But since they don't isolate crazy well, they should be good for gym use. For $100 they are still a pretty good buy, but Danny said his new 77Xs are really similar to the cools, might even be better so you might want to wait it out a bit longer. They sell these cools in China for $50 USD retail so..... you do the math.

On that note i still need to contact those peps at 385, and if those $30 newegg 385s are the same as these cools, then my god they are a steal indeed.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #10,814 of 100,526
Quote:
Aha sorry to hear that Carlsan. Both my kids and the wife are in Korea right now.

Ask them to bring you back some T-Peos H-200.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back