The discovery thread!
Apr 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #8,612 of 100,413
Quote:
But ghost only one of the drivers in the FXZ200s has CNT, the other two are just carbon methinks. How consistent are they now after so much burn-in???

2 out of 3. The stream woofer is just carbon
smile.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #8,616 of 100,413
Quote:
OMG!! TIME TO KICK THE HYPE TRAIN BACK INTO GEAR A BIT!!

So I recently sold my W4 (which surprisingly was the hardest thing for me to do out of all of my universals). It wasn't that the W4 was my favorite universal (although it was up there), but it signature just hit a lot sweet spots for me. But I found that the BA200 did about 94 percent of what the W4 did for me (sans the W4's mid-bass hump and a bit less instrument separation than the W4). 

So I was thinking that the CKS1000 is the best universal I own (until I get a ASG-2) and the BA200 ran a second as the best universal I own (before you ask, the FXZ00 is about 5 or 6 right now), but I was curious about A/Bing the CKN-70 against the BA200. I've been burning in the CKN-70 slowly but steady, and now have about 80 hours on it. I'm thinking It come close but not destroy the BA200 (especially not the BA200's bass - great and full with deep inserting tips - or this balanced armature luscious refined mids (the TDK does something magical with piano). 

Well with 80 hours burn in, the CKN-70 has left me with my mouth with open! The AT micro carbon nanotube driver annihilates the BA200's bass in texture, sub-bass and clarity! It has a more natural tone with vocals and guitars than the BA200 (and the TDK is wonderful in this area too). The BA200 holds an ever so slight edge with the timbre of the piano, but doesn't runaway with it at all. And this really pisses me off! Why? Because I abhor the CKN-70s cable! I hate it with a passion! ... lol. But I can't argue with the sound. Taking both IEMs as a whole, the BA200 isn't too far behind, but the cheaper At edges out as the winner in sound. If you consider the sound and the build, I would give the edge to the BA200. But is the BA200 worth almost double price than the CKN-70? Let me put it this way, the BA200 is an excellent deal for about $140 to $150, and I would happily pay that for the CKN-70 if it had a better cord. But at about $80 with the cord it's a steal!

Oh, as far as treble, the BA200's highs are a lot smoother than the CKN-70, but has only a little less extension than the AT. The AT wins. It stops just short of being too hot for my ears. I never thought I would like AT phones this much, but the CKN-70, CKS1000, and A900X have done a great job in converting me.

Great impressions, nice to see you finally got yourself some CKN70s. I knew you would like them.

I gotta say, now that I've burned mine in and found the right tips, these are hands down my favorite sounding IEMs. Guys you gotta make sure you experiment with tips on these. I thought I was getting the best sound with Sony Hybrids til I popped some TripleFi tips on. Whoa. TripleFi tips do something magical for these. They make the bass very linear and bring out the sub bass more. It's also stronger. When the track calls for it, these have some serious rumble. Basshead level IMO. Definition is improved as well. Mids and highs are clearer and smoother. The highs used to be a little too sizzly for me, but not anymore. Soundstage grows wider and imaging is more precise too. The improvement in the sound is what I would expect going up to the CKN90, if it existed.

You can get the TripleFi tips here (link for medium size)

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #8,617 of 100,413
Quote:
Guys you gotta make sure you experiment with tips on these.

I find the same to be true with the XBA-30, but I'm sure you've tried a variety of tips on your XBA-30 already. I've found that wider bore tips produce better sound for me (currently using Auvio tips, but the TF10 ones are an improvement over stock as well).

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #8,618 of 100,413
Quote:

Great impressions, nice to see you finally got yourself some CKN70s. I knew you would like them.

I gotta say, now that I've burned mine in and found the right tips, these are hands down my favorite sounding IEMs. Guys you gotta make sure you experiment with tips on these. I thought I was getting the best sound with Sony Hybrids til I poJustpped some TripleFi tips on. Whoa. TripleFi tips do something magical for these. They make the bass very linear and bring out the sub bass more. It's also stronger. When the track calls for it, these have some serious rumble. Basshead level IMO. Definition is improved as well. Mids and highs are clearer and smoother. The highs used to be a little too sizzly for me, but not anymore. Soundstage grows wider and imaging is more precise too. The improvement in the sound is what I would expect going up to the CKN90, if it existed.

Just ordered some TripleFi tips... you sold me. Did you say these install easily onto the CKN70s in another post? Hopefully they mount more easily than the Sony hybrids.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #8,621 of 100,413
Quote:
But ghost only one of the drivers in the FXZ200s has CNT, the other two are just carbon methinks. How consistent are they now after so much burn-in???

I dunno, man !

I'm re-thinking everything I know about these CNT material, I ran my entire EDM collection (300+ tracks) in a loop, plug in the FXZ200 for 2 weeks and there is a very noticable differences.

In the past, I was quite happy to blast a brand new phone with a bass and drums loop for 300hrs and call it quits, the bass certainly tightens up with this but what about the mids and high ? do we need to loosen the drivers for these freqs as well ? I am thinking we need to play vocals and trebles notes to smoother these out.

I was listening and comparing the fxz200 with the fxz100 and suddenly it strucked me !
it wasn't just the bass that has improved (deeper subs extentions) but the lower mids have clearly distinct themself from the bass as well as the lower highs from the upper mids.

Previously, I preferred the fxz100 over the fxz200 for their distinct low, mid and high freq separation, only wishing it had the fxz200's bass   .....but now after the 'second-phase' burn in, the fxz200 for me are above the fxz100 at all levels.

...looks like I got to re-burn all my cnt iems to see if there's any improvements to be gain. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #8,622 of 100,413
Quote:

I gotta say, now that I've burned mine in and found the right tips, these are hands down my favorite sounding IEMs. Guys you gotta make sure you experiment with tips on these. I thought I was getting the best sound with Sony Hybrids til I popped some TripleFi tips on. Whoa. TripleFi tips do something magical for these. They make the bass very linear and bring out the sub bass more. It's also stronger. When the track calls for it, these have some serious rumble. Basshead level IMO. Definition is improved as well. Mids and highs are clearer and smoother. The highs used to be a little too sizzly for me, but not anymore. Soundstage grows wider and imaging is more precise too. The improvement in the sound is what I would expect going up to the CKN90, if it existed.

Glad you guys are starting to hear them as I did in February.
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #8,623 of 100,413
Quote:

Ohm I've had them for awhile, but just been into the CKS1000 and some other more. But thank you sir. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #8,624 of 100,413
Apr 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #8,625 of 100,413
Quote:

I dunno, man !

I'm re-thinking everything I know about these CNT material, I ran my entire EDM collection (300+ tracks) in a loop, plug in the FXZ200 for 2 weeks and there is a very noticable differences.

In the past, I was quite happy to blast a brand new phone with a bass and drums loop for 300hrs and call it quits, the bass certainly tightens up with this but what about the mids and high ? do we need to loosen the drivers for these freqs as well ? I am thinking we need to play vocals and trebles notes to smoother these out.

I was listening and comparing the fxz200 with the fxz100 and suddenly it strucked me !
it wasn't just the bass that has improved (deeper subs extentions) but the lower mids have clearly distinct themself from the bass as well as the lower highs from the upper mids.

Previously, I preferred the fxz100 over the fxz200 for their distinct low, mid and high freq separation, only wishing it had the fxz200's bass   .....but now after the 'second-phase' burn in, the fxz200 for me are above the fxz100 at all levels.

...looks like I got to re-burn all my cnt iems to see if there's any improvements to be gain. 

^ Say it ain't so ghost say it ain't so..............................
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back