The discovery thread!
Jan 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #6,631 of 102,967
Right now with the AD900X back on.......piano notes are not telling me they are from a real piano, Billy Bragg & Wilco, "California Stars", "Mermaid Avenue", and violins are not convicing me they are violins, Loreena McKinnet, "Santiago", "Nights From The Alhambra", which was recorded live!  Soundstage is doing it, but something takes away the presentation and mastering that is there with the AD900X...............burn in continuing!  Lots of little details like that need to be a whole lot better!

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #6,632 of 102,967
Quote:
Right now with the AD900X back on.......piano notes are not telling me they are from a real piano, Billy Bragg & Wilco, "California Stars", "Mermaid Avenue", and violins are not convicing me they are violins, Loreena McKinnet, "Santiago", "Nights From The Alhambra", which was recorded live!  Soundstage is doing it, but something takes away the presentation and mastering that is there with the AD900X...............burn in continuing!  Lots of little details like that need to be a whole lot better!

Dang, cute!

You definitely have high standards about this stuff!

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #6,633 of 102,967
Welp, seems like there are some real interesting developments. But man that ebay somic seller suck!!! To raise the price like that is pretty uncalled for. 

Yeah like Ds said Cash, cute is a sound freak so you know how they roll. Never satisfied!!! Hey Cute make sure you sell me your fully modded set of S500s 1st if you plan on doing it, you and doc are the worse. Can't ever material any deals with you two it seems. So keep trollin' him Cash, I mean playing him like a violin.
biggrin.gif

Hmmm, looks like pirate week is officially over since the fearless leader has walked the plank and fell into the abyss of DARKNESS!

Back to my old sexy boxy self!

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #6,634 of 102,967
Quote:
Welp, seems like there are some real interesting developments. (1.) But man that ebay somic seller suck!!! To raise the price like that is pretty uncalled for. 

Yeah like Ds said Cash, cute is a sound freak so you know how they roll. Never satisfied!!! Hey Cute make sure you sell me your fully modded set of S500s 1st if you plan on doing it, you and doc are the worse. Can't ever material any deals with you two it seems. (2.) So keep trollin' him Cash, I mean playing him like a violin.
biggrin.gif

1.) Raising prices in accordance with an increase in demand? How dare they!

Kidding, kidding. That is a bit uncool to raise prices like that. At the $50 mark, there's a lot more competition than the $37 mark. Money's tight, and they might have lost a purchase or two for doing that.

2.) LOL! That violin sure was trying to convince him, but I don't think he believes the poor thing.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #6,635 of 102,967
Quote:
1.) Raising prices in accordance with an increase in demand? How dare they!

Kidding, kidding. That is a bit uncool to raise prices like that. At the $50 mark, there's a lot more competition than the $37 mark. Money's tight, and they might have lost a purchase or two for doing that.

2.) LOL! That violin sure was trying to convince him, but I don't think he believes the poor thing.

Price is $44 with free shipping from China, didn't think that was unreasonable. Granted, not $37, but not $50 either.

At $44, worth a jump on the hype train...

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #6,636 of 102,967
Quote:
Price is $44 with free shipping from China, didn't think that was unreasonable. Granted, not $37, but not $50 either.

I'd plop a good $150 on them, easily.

Excellent sound in a not-so-excellent package. 

The good news is that you can't see them when they're on your head.

The bad news is that other people can.

But when they sound this nice, I really stop caring.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #6,637 of 102,967
Quote:
I'd plop a good $150 on them, easily.

Excellent sound in a not-so-excellent package. 

The good news is that you can't see them when they're on your head.

The bad news is that other people can.

But when they sound this nice, I really stop caring.

Yeah, looking forward to hearing them, silly as they may look, can't wait for the wife's comments....

Too many headphones lately, burning in new pair of AD900x, just got them in the mail, XBA-30'S, IE800's, ECMA600's, and CKS1000.
Amazon Japan pricing and Tenso combo are deadly... and if you wait on your Tenso orders, to combine and save some money, you really get quite a package when it arrives
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #6,638 of 102,967
Quote:

Yeah but still it was like $36 before the hype train, and it was like $39 last night so just over night it suddenly jumped up to $44, i mean c'mon make up your mind on the price seller. If you want to milk it milk it without being so obvious. I can understand this jump in price if it is over the course of a week but just over night??? You ain't no Amazon.com LoL

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #6,639 of 102,967
Quote:
Yeah but still it was like $36 before the hype train, and it was like $39 last night so just over night it suddenly jumped up to $44, i mean c'mon make up your mind on the price seller. If you want to milk it milk it without being so obvious. I can understand this jump in price if it is over the course of a week but just over night??? You ain't no Amazon.com LoL

To be fair, this is still cheaper than the closest AliExpress cost.

Also, one has to believe that considering all the R&D that has been done on these, they have to cost a solid amount to produce. Profit margins aren't huge here by any means, so it's great that they're able to get purchases in such a large volume.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #6,640 of 102,967
Quote:
Yeah, looking forward to hearing them, silly as they may look, can't wait for the wife's comments....

Too many headphones lately, burning in new pair of AD900x, just got them in the mail, XBA-30'S, IE800's, ECMA600's, and CKS1000.
Amazon Japan pricing and Tenso combo are deadly... and if you wait on your Tenso orders, to combine and save some money, you really get quite a package when it arrives
bigsmile_face.gif

Hah. The bad news is, they are semi-open.

You'll be able to hear everything she says due to the lack of isolation.

Rats!

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #6,641 of 102,967
Quote:
Huge props to gibosi for getting this whole eBay thing sorted out! 

Now that they're back on eBay, people don't really have much of an excuse! 
biggrin.gif

NinjaCat, how do they sound with the ELE DAC?

They sound a bit dark and there's more depth to be desired, but that's more of a knock on the ELE because when I plug my Somics into my stereo receiver/amp all of those problems are gone. I have to say that vocals sound great on the Somics and the bass, it isn't a bass monster, but it'll show that punch when the song calls for it.

Oh to answer the question is that they sound pretty good with the ELEs, but they do have those problems I listed and they don't sound as clear as I want them to that I know the Somics are capable of sounding.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #6,642 of 102,967
Quote:

They sound a bit dark and there's more depth to be desired, but that's more of a knock on the ELE because when I plug my Somics into my stereo receiver/amp all of those problems are gone. I have to say that vocals sound great on the Somics and the bass, it isn't a bass monster, but it'll show that punch when the song calls for it.

Mhmm! "Selective thumpers" I call 'em.

When you get the time, it'd be awesome if you could post your impressions on this thread. You don't have to, but it'd definitely be cool! I think that only 4 people on Head-Fi them now, and a lot of people bought them, so it'd be great to have another voice on the forum to let these people know what they're getting into.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #6,644 of 102,967
Ds,

How are those CKN50s treating you? Don't recall seeing a full on review\ impression on them as the ES700 seem to have gotten most of the love. I do remember you saying that AT has really upped their game so maybe some of that will be translated down to their two newer and cheaper offerings CLR100 and COR150 at $15 and $20 MSRP respectively. CLR is clear while COR is Core Bass. Seems like something to put out on the radar. 

ath_clr100bk_1.jpg
CLR100      
ath_cor150bk_1.jpg
COR150

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #6,645 of 102,967
Quote:
Mhmm! "Selective thumpers" I call 'em.

When you get the time, it'd be awesome if you could post your impressions on this thread. You don't have to, but it'd definitely be cool! I think that only 4 people on Head-Fi them now, and a lot of people bought them, so it'd be great to have another voice on the forum to let these people know what they're getting into.

Hey Cash,  Have you looked under the cloth on the cups of the Somic's?  I'd like to get rid of the red cable, and I need to know if there are screws under the cloth, to remove the drivers for access to the wires!  Looking at some type of black cloth sleeving to fit over the cable as well!  Not sure if I am keeping these or the AD900X, leaning towards these, but need to give the AD900X more burn in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back