The discovery thread!
Jan 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #6,661 of 106,497
Quote:
If your gonna buy a iem online. These will cost a bit more but I can recommend the ATH-CKN50. For the price they are a steal.

and if you´r going for the CKN50 ,pls buy mine 
redface.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #6,662 of 106,497
Quote:

Hey Cash,  Have you looked under the cloth on the cups of the Somic's?  I'd like to get rid of the red cable, and I need to know if there are screws under the cloth, to remove the drivers for access to the wires!  Looking at some type of black cloth sleeving to fit over the cable as well!  Not sure if I am keeping these or the AD900X, leaning towards these, but need to give the AD900X more burn in!

I have not, but I can check after class! (it'll be about 4 hours. Ouch!)

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #6,663 of 106,497
Quote:

With the BD extension cable and the little mod to the cups, they are close to where I was hoping.  I cut dampening material, a real find for me, cut it the shape of the white tape you see on the cups.  So it's a ring of 1/8" material about 1/2" wide, center cutout the size of the driver circumferance, I think it absorbs resonance in the highs, and gives a more rich sound. 

Perfect, IMO!  Have to wait and see if more improvements come, they should.......don't really sound like a cable upgrade may be needed right now! 

Am hearing very good female vocals, on par with the Somic's!

Whew! I was starting to think that I would have to give mine away once I got them!
wink.gif

Btw, has sfwalcer sent you that camera yet? Hint hint lol!
deadhorse.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #6,664 of 106,497
Ya I agree with this. Lets make a new rule. You gonna post here you gotta show it in color. I think everyone has a camera on their phones. At least by now you should.. A guy or gal that logs onto this thread and post impressions especially..

A camera.. Not too much to ask.. It gives some visual stimulation for the fellas..

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #6,665 of 106,497

Quote:
Ya I agree with this. Lets make a new rule. You gonna post here you gotta show it in color. I think everyone has a camera on their phones. At least by now you should.. A guy or gal that logs onto this thread and post impressions especially..

A camera.. Not too much to ask.. It gives some visual stimulation for the fellas..

Never even gave my cell camera a thought, giving it a try til I get my camera from my daughter, stuck in ice storm.

I apoligize for the poor quality, bad camera, did the best with what I had!

OK, this is for Sfwalcer, just to show my HM5 pad modd!

Bad photo, but the full S500 modd!

Cup modd on AD900X, same material as above!

Somic's, red cable has black techflex, but this pic does not show it as dark as it should be.....connected to Moon Audio Blue Dragon Extension Cablel

Below are left, center, right, pics of my gears from my listening position!

Left shows, DAC, Tube amp, left speakers, sub behind, bass traps above!

Center, shows my computer monitor 46" Panasonic Plasma, with amps, receiver, Blu Ray Player, my HP Notebook to the right of the center speaker!  jRiver Media Center 18 player up on screen!

Right side speaker, sub behind, bass traps above, the plant behind on left and right side are really bass traps, pot stuffed with dampening material!

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #6,667 of 106,497
Quote:

Never even gave my cell camera a thought, giving it a try til I get my camera from my daughter, stuck in ice storm.

I apoligize for the poor quality, bad camera, did the best with what I had!

OK, this is for Sfwalcer, just to show my HM5 pad modd!

Cup modd on AD900X, same material as above!

Somic's, red cable has black techflex, but this pic does not show it as dark as it should be.....connected to Moon Audio Blue Dragon Extension Cablel

Below are left, center, right, pics of my gears from my listening position!

Left shows, DAC, Tube amp, left speakers, sub behind, bass traps above!

Center, shows my computer monitor 46" Panasonic Plasma, with amps, receiver, Blu Ray Player, my HP Notebook to the right of the center speaker!  jRiver Media Center 18 player up on screen!

Right side speaker, sub behind, bass traps above, the plant behind on left and right side are really bass traps, pot stuffed with dampening material!

OMG OMG OMG!!! What is this I DON'T BELIEVE MY EYES!
..................................................................................................

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #6,668 of 106,497
Lol! All good things comes to those who wait!

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #6,670 of 106,497
Quote:
Let me ask you cute. How do you keep that cut out on there.? Use some type of tape?

Nice camera pics. See now we know what your talking about.

I used double back tape, 2", same stuff I use for golf grips!  I just laid two pieces of tape on the modd material, and cut around the hole and diameter, perfect fit.  The OD of the mod matches the white tape on the cup!

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #6,671 of 106,497
Quote:

I used double back tape, 2", same stuff I use for golf grips!  I just laid two pieces of tape, and cut around the hole and diameter, perfect fit.  The OD of the mod matches the white tape on the cup!

You don't notice a decrease in stage or air when doing that? I can see that bringing the sound even more forward.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #6,672 of 106,497
Quote:
You don't notice a decrease in stage or air when doing that? I can see that bringing the sound even more forward.

I think the stage and air is about the same, but the resonance in the highs are taken away, giving the notes better tone and texture.  There are no vent holes under the modd.  I learned this technique from a guy that sells a foam modd for the tweeters on bookshelf and full size speakers.  It puts a little focus on the sound coming out, instead of letting it roll off the side of the speakers.  Similar concept here.  I think the AD900X just naturally has too much effect in the highs, my last pair were similar in the highs, but closed back! 
It brought back a more natural tone to instraments, and vocals, more emotion in the sound.  These were too laid back for me without this mod and the Blue Dragon Cable!

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #6,673 of 106,497
I've been really persuaded to purchase the AD900x based on impressions by you guys
Not entirely convinced though, haha, i'm really picky... 
I'm wondering if they can compete with the likes of HE-400/HD650 (not expecting much but I'm curious)
Those headphones were next on my to buy list until I came across this thread and the praise being heaped on the AD900x
Thanks

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #6,674 of 106,497
Cute -- I was going to send a PM, but it occurs to me that I might not be the only one who might be curious.....  

You put "Techflex" on your Somix cable....

Googling this, it appears that there are several different products, such as Techflex Cleancut, Techflex F6, Techflex Flexo PET and so on. Which do you recommend? And what size? 1/4 inch? Smaller?

And what is the material you are using inside your pads? I used to build speakers, and in a similar way, I glued a layer of foam on the front panel of my satellites with cutouts for the tweeters and mid range drivers.  But I don't think the material I used would work well inside earphone pads.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #6,675 of 106,497
Quote:
So Wayne when is the ETA of your AD900X? 

Not soon enough lol! It left Tokyo yesterday, so I'm hopeful that I'll get them this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back