The discovery thread!
Nov 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #4,861 of 100,551
as to the previous HM5 pads mod, does that just involve changing the pads? Have already changed to ATH pleathers and taped the vents, some increased bass, could live with it, not what you hear with some phones, though. And, has anyone compared the different pads, HM5 and ATH?

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #4,862 of 100,551
Looking around I saw that AT tipped their hand again. A thumbnail pic is up but nothing till probably later on (tomorrow for us in NA anyway)...

ATH-CKN50

N series?? Will it end up above the M series. Looks like micro drivers if that is a med. tip on them. AT finally on the micro-driver bandwagon?

Keep an eye out for more info which should be showing up shortly.

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #4,865 of 100,551
Quote:
Looking around I saw that AT tipped their hand again. A thumbnail pic is up but nothing till probably later on (tomorrow for us in NA anyway)...

ATH-CKN50

N series?? Will it end up above the M series. Looks like micro drivers if that is a med. tip on them. AT finally on the micro-driver bandwagon?

Keep an eye out for more info which should be showing up shortly.

hmmm, that's interesting. they need to do something unique though with their microdrivers, something like jvc did with their carbon nanotubes....

Quote:
So how do the MH1C compare to the XB90EX?
And wheres the cheapest place to get the MH1C?

I asked the same question some pages ago and from the replies I got, XB90EX is an upgrade in bass and soundstage and presentation...

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #4,866 of 100,551
Quote:
Seriously, this has been debated a lot. I was talking to a guy who was completely sure that all hdmi cables are the same and it doesn't matter how much it costs - then I connected my ps3 to his tv using two different hdmi cables and I shut him up. The one was a $5 regular hdmi cable the other was a $20 flat hdmi cable and not only the quality was different but the contrast of the picture.

edit: I'm not saying that all those insane $100+ cables are worth it but something around 20 bucks is always better than the generic cheap stuff

I want to know more about this.  All of my cables for analog signals have a sound of their own.  Differences range from not so small to very small, but they are always there.  How about digital signals?  My thought is that, if a few zeros and ones are missed by some cables that are NOT missed by others, there could be a noticeable difference in the sound and video quality.  Does this make sense?  Can somebody give a sound cause and effect explanation as to why there are or there are not differences in output quality of analog and digital cables?

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #4,867 of 100,551
Quote:
I want to know more about this.  All of my cables for analog signals have a sound of their own.  Differences range from not so small to very small, but they are always there.  How about digital signals?  My thought is that, if a few zeros and ones are missed by some cables that are NOT missed by others, there could be a noticeable difference in the sound and video quality.  Does this make sense?  Can somebody give a sound cause and effect explanation as to why there are or there are not differences in output quality of analog and digital cables?

These two links should give you the answers you seek. They do omit most of the intricate technical details and explain the rest quite understandable. If you have some follow-up questions, send me a PM. This thread is not considered the right place for this discussion.

Quote:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056502-1/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57540275-221/still-more-reasons-why-all-hdmi-cable-are-the-same/

I have no opinion on this matter. Just putting it up since you mentioned it :-D

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #4,868 of 100,551
FXZ100 has been ordered from Amazon Japan for $172 USD. I'll wait awhile on the FXZ200. I'l let you guys know when I have it! :
deadhorse.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #4,869 of 100,551
Quote:
hmmm, that's interesting. they need to do something unique though with their microdrivers, something like jvc did with their carbon nanotubes....

Not really. All they have to do is sound good. My CX985 sound great and are boast no special materials in their "miniature transducers" or the IE800's or other quality sounding micro drivers like in the older MH1C or EPH-100 or the upcoming VC02. No actual proof yet that the CNT actually makes their micro's any better outside of a good marketing/selling point. Just like in the past, good drivers are good drivers whether CNT, biocellullose, titanium, mylar, wood, or whatever. 

Here is the info...

Released on December 14, 2012

Earbuds
ATH-CKN50 BK (¥ 4,500. Before tax) ¥ 4,725. ATH-CKN50 BL (¥ 4,500. Before tax) ¥ 4,725. ATH-CKN50 BW (¥ 4,500. Before tax) ¥ 4,725. ATH-CKN50 WH (¥ 4,500. Before tax) ¥ 4,725.

Φ5.7mm driver with a dynamic history of our smallest,
Model first of "PREMIUM COMPACT" series.
img_14980.jpg

img_14980.jpg
BK (Black)
img_14981.jpg
BL (Blue)
img_14982.jpg
BW (Brown)
img_14983.jpg
WH (White)
img_14984.jpg
Image winding code
img_14985.jpg
Installation image

1. Achieve the playback sound, full force in the ultra-compact body, with newly developed driver φ5.7mm.
    With a strong magnetic force magnet driver φ5.7mm newly developed high-performance, you can enjoy playback of force than it looks with a sense of size, such as balanced armature.
  2. Fit and stable "(the next loop support structure) NLS" new structure.
    Evolutionary mechanism "(loop support) LOOP SUPPORT" our own. Adopted a new ring-shaped circle, I realized the design that may fit a certain originality and coupled with ultra-compact body.
  3. adopt a code 1.2mU type the code does not get in the way.
    U type code adopted code be turned to the back of the neck. When not using the headphones, such as over the neck definitive, it can be used conveniently.
  4. holder comes with a convenient cord take-up earpiece / 4 sizes to choose from.

detail.gif

t_spec.gif

Model Dynamic type
Driver φ5.7mm
Output sound pressure level 103dB/mW
Play frequency band 10 ~ 25,000 Hz
Maximum input 200mW
Impedance 16Ω
Weight (without cord) About 3.7g
Plug Fri-plated stereo mini φ3.5mm (type L)
Code (Type U) 1.2m
● Accessories: earpiece (XS, S, M, L), holder winding code
● Optional: ER-CKM55 replacement earpiece

@ Eric; Nice one, Eric! Taking one for the team. Look froward to the impressions. If early limited reports are true it seems the 100 is more neutral(meaning less bassy) than the 200. Kinda worry the 200 is too warm for my tastes and that the 100 has a better sound balance but falls short on technical ability.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #4,871 of 100,551
Quote:
^ WoW really?!!! The stupid ring looking thing is attached to the IEMs? LMAO Thought they were display rings to hold the IEMs up, kinda funky looking that's for sure.

Definitely different! Those rings might actually work well. I wish I had them on my 70's lol!

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #4,872 of 100,551
Quote:

Definitely different! Those rings might actually work well. I wish I had them on my 70's lol!

haha looks like a space station or something with those ring thingys. It's different for sure, not sure how well it works though.

Man it's official WAYNE, I like these cheapo sony MH1Cs over my FXD70s. The 70s are just too thin sounding, with less and less body the more you burn them in it seems. :frowning2:
Straight from my ipod nano/ classic on flat setting they are still kinda harsh even with so much burn in. Have to use it with my rockboxed sansa clip+ with bass boosted and treble reduced to get a enjoyable sound. But those auvio tips helps a lot when worn over the ears so try that out WAYNE if you have gotten them already.

edit:hmmmmm, set my ipods to treble reducer makes these 70s a lot less harsh/ fatiguing but you have to crack the volume up a little bit more. The sound is less thin on this setting due to the increase in volume/ hence increased bass as well. Definitely a different animal than these sony MH1Cs that's for sure. Just a heads up WAYNE, not bad not bad these 70s can handle EQing pretty well.
beerchug.gif
But my S500s still owns haha

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #4,873 of 100,551
Quote:
haha looks like a space station or something with those ring thingys. It's different for sure, not sure how well it works though.

Man it's official WAYNE, I like these cheapo sony MH1Cs over my FXD70s. The 70s are just too thin sounding, with less and less body the more you burn them in it seems. :frowning2:
Straight from my ipod nano/ classic on flat setting they are still kinda harsh even with so much burn in. Have to use it with my rockboxed sansa clip+ with bass boosted and treble reduced to get a enjoyable sound. But those auvio tips helps a lot when worn over the ears so try that out WAYNE if you have gotten them already.

I got the auvio tips today actually! I tried them on the 70's, but they seemed to thin out the sound and make the treble harsher than the tips that I had on the 70's before - the R1's foam tips. With the R1's foam tips, the 70's treble is very nicely controlled - not harsh now at all - and the bass seems to be brought out more. And they stay in my ears much better. I quite enjoy the sound out of the 70's with these foam tips actually! I'll have to do some more a-b'ing between them and the mh1c's, but they are sounding good. If you have foam tips, try them out.

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #4,874 of 100,551
Quote:

I got the auvio tips today actually! I tried them on the 70's, but they seemed to thin out the sound and make the treble harsher than the tips that I had on the 70's before - the R1's foam tips. With the R1's foam tips, the 70's treble is very nicely controlled - not harsh now at all - and the bass seems to be brought out more. And they stay in my ears much better. I quite enjoy the sound out of the 70's with these foam tips actually! I'll have to do some more a-b'ing between them and the mh1c's, but they are sounding good. If you have foam tips, try them out.

Oh really??? Send me a set ASAP!!! LoL Just joking. Yeah I read that from your previous impressions, so i tried the FX40 foam tips on the 70s. Made it less bright but something about the sound doesn't seem right to me so I went back to using the auvio tips (guess it's the less deep insertion with foam tips?), was using the smaller orange ones before, but changed to the slightly bigger red one, much better fit. Yeppp the auvio tips does open up the sound more, and that's why I like them. Have you tried the FX40 foam tips on your 70s and are they different from the R1s foam ones?

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #4,875 of 100,551
Quote:

@ Eric; Nice one, Eric! Taking one for the team. Look froward to the impressions. If early limited reports are true it seems the 100 is more neutral(meaning less bassy) than the 200. Kinda worry the 200 is too warm for my tastes and that the 100 has a better sound balance but falls short on technical ability.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back