The discovery thread!
May 14, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #101,461 of 103,542
May 14, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #101,462 of 103,542
Man, I know I am so far behind on this thread but I was scrolling through the pages trying to catch up and I knew I needed to reply to this one. I am so sorry for that, brother, that absolutely sucks. I can only imagine if something like that were to happen to my Monarchs.... I would cry lol

I am glad you found such a quick and relatively affordable solution though!
Thanks for the kind words, brother.
It was very stressful and traumatic, tbh.
I would sell multiple others sets to fund this if needed.
That's how much I missed them the instant they broke.

May 14, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #101,463 of 103,542
Just got on the train. Ordered the ST7 for £22 on Ali X. Can't wait to pit it against the Trio.
I spent the better part of a restless night (post car accident fallout, but nothing my wife and I can't handle) listening to the Trio and ST7, and as a steadfast championer of the CCA Trio, I'm completely surprised that I ended up preferring the ST7. The technicalities, treble extension, and sonic landscape being fairly equal or close to being equal, the tipping point for me is the bass. The bass on the ST7 is just better produced, has a tad more natural warmth in the mids (the most consensus complaint with the Trio are the relatively thin mids, and dry and I can't argue against that), where as, though nothing considered hefty mids on the ST7, there's enough mid bass that it's not thin or dry. With the nice punchiness and decent speed (they aren't the most articulate, but they aren't slow either, just resolving enough), I found myself sticking with the ST7 for the rest of my restlessness, until I finally did doze off, rather than the CCA Trio. I will be curious @Nimweth, to read your comparison, and see if it matches my own ear dynamics?

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #101,464 of 103,542
Just another day at work with my CCA Hydro.

I'm still uberly impressed with this IEM and eagerly waiting on others opinions. Just got around to using it with my iFi iDSD Signature and Divinus Velvet tips. I think anybody who owns any iFi signature gear is going to be very happy with this IEM. 3D/Xspace and Xbass has tremendous synergy with the IEM to my ears with the UUDD configuration. The sub bass sounds like it goes deep, has a lot of authority, mid bass absolutely slams, just very high quality. What an absolute unit. The bass reminds me a lot of my TSMR X set. I'm still playing with settings but the 3D setting on my iDSD Signature also gives a nice boost to the treble to make things sound just right with the UUDD configuration. The iFi iDSD Signature DAC is a bit more detailed and less soft treble compared to my iFi Zen air DAC, i'll have to try my zen air stack out when I get home to see if i get a similar experience, that and get that TSMR X out to make sure I am not imagining things, but I guess what does this say about the Hydro here? Xbass is the secret sauce.

May 14, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #101,465 of 103,542
Just another day at work with my CCA Hydro.
That's pretty much me. It's my work iem, as I dont' want to bring expensive items to work. This guy fits the bill very well.

May 14, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #101,466 of 103,542
@FreeWheelinAudioLuv2,

Seriously,

What is the point of your post? Have you heard both, and done systematic side-by-side tests or are you......................well never-mind. I only recommend IEMs that I have actually heard in person. Since 2008 I may have recommended one IEM I haven't heard. Cheers :)

Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 4.12.26 PM.png
The POINT is I'm not connected to any company, and I also don't do reviews (I used to, and I also used to get free samples as well as discounted samples), so my SPIRIT in this room is to point out MY VISION OF WHAT A DISCOVERY VALUE IS, and for those who might be new, living on a hard budget, or looking for top value to performance, can use all bits of information to make an educated decision on what IEM will best fit their aural blueprint.

Another thing, and you shouldn't get so offended when someone offers differing opinions of your blind allegiance to Penon or any other company, or ask a question in regards to a product you "advertise" on the thread? Also, I don't need to hear every IEM that is released to have an opinion on it. WHY? Because of the job you reviewers are doing. So if you aren't internally a "shill", and if you are doing "God's work" in a truly honest way, then any one of us laymen can learn exactly what an IEM is about. Multiple honest reviews, read by someone with experience and knowledge, pretty much can get the foundation of what an IEM "sounds like", without having to personally try them all out. Many of us aren't fortunate enough to get free samples sent our way, or get them at a great discount, or for those who say "but I buy all my gear!", that's fantastic you're wealthy enough to buy everything released, or foolish enough to rack up credit card debt? Either way, I judge you not for it, and salute whoever is in that position, or the person getting the free samples for review purposes. I know that feeling, and it's rad. But back to what I was saying, I don't need to hear them all to know what something sounds like. If so, reviewers and impressions would be USELESS and INEFFECTIVE, and so what would that make you?

Lastly, I'm presenting a HIGHLY RESPECTED AND POSITIVELY REVIEWED IEM that is less than half the cost of the Penon Voltage with almost the same technical specs. So for someone who is looking for that kind of rig, and is on a budget, or looking to get a taste of summit fi at a mid fi price, then based on an overwhelming response from respected reviewers, the Volare definitely should be presented alongside the Voltage at $1,300 with taxes. Did I say the Voltage sucked and shouldn't be purchased or considered? That's never been said or shared. I'd never do that. Twice I've posted the Volare side by side with the Voltage, as a price comparison based on the similar tech. So unless you are a Penon representative and we don't know about this, there shouldn't be any reaction at all to a low key alternative? Right?

May 14, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #101,467 of 103,542
I spent the better part of a restless night (post car accident fallout, but nothing our wife and I can't handle) listening to the Trio and ST7, and as a steadfast championer of the CCA Trio, I'm completely surprised that I ended up preferring the ST7. The technicalities, treble extension, and sonic landscape being fairly equal or close to being equal, the tipping point for me is the bass. The bass on the ST7 is just better produced, has a tad more natural warmth in the mids (the most consensus complaint with the Trio are the relatively thin mids, and dry and I can't argue against that), where as, though nothing considered hefty mids on the ST7, there's enough mid bass that it's not thin or dry. With the nice punchiness and decent speed (they aren't the most articulate, but they aren't slow either, just resolving enough), I found myself sticking with the ST7 for the rest of my restlessness, until I finally did doze off, rather than the CCA Trio. I will be curious @Nimweth, to read your comparison, and see if it matches my own ear dynamics?
Well, I was convinced by your description of the ST7 and bought it. Reading your posts, it seems our tastes align pretty well. The Trio is an excellent IEM, but at times I feel I need just a little more excitement and often hybrids can provide that where DDs tend to err on the safe side. Much has been said about the natural timbre of DDs but I think this is partly due to the fact that we are exposed to dynamic drivers much more in TVs, radios, home speakers and so on. Live music always has more immediacy than recorded music and I feel BAs and planar have a bit more of that element in their presentation than DDs (at least in the 130 or so IEMs I have owned!). When I get the ST7 I will conduct a shoot-out and report back. Thank you for the recommendation!

May 14, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #101,468 of 103,542
Some pleasant warm synths for you bass lovers.

This was a fun listen with the ST7. That Orbital stage really shines with the swirl and placement of the sounds. Thanks.

May 14, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #101,469 of 103,542
TRN ST7

How do I feel about the ST7 ?
Admittedly, I only have about 15 hrs. of break in and I may be jumping the gun. But in my experience, if an IEM doesn't show some semblance of that visceral thump (that I crave) in the early stages, it's not going to magically appear. That being said, the ST7 is for the masses, that appreciate some low end, but lean more towards mids and upper frequencies.

The ST7 checks off more boxes, than the one or two (for my tastes) that it misses.
:ballot_box_with_check: Wide presentation
:ballot_box_with_check: Vocals are forward, but not in your face
:ballot_box_with_check: Bass has the everything, but the Chest Thump
:ballot_box_with_check: Upper treble well represented, without being fatiguing

:negative_squared_cross_mark: No Boom Boom. The sub bass doesn't go low enough, for Basshead recognition.
:negative_squared_cross_mark: Male vocals are missing some of their low end timbre

TRN ST7.jpg

I find the factory graph to be very accurate, to what I hear. Vocal forward, with an emphasis on the upper half of the frequency response range. But attention to the low end is not necessarily discarded.
1715690634326.png
Right! See, I do know something about sound LOL All my impressions stated that the sub bass is rolled off, and it lacks that umph, which is exactly how I see it, but I feel that with enough mid bass warmth, it provides enough bass to be satisfying for most genres that aren't oozing with bass and bottom end drops. Yeah! Cheers! We hear this very similarly.

May 14, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #101,470 of 103,542
Well, I was convinced by your description of the ST7 and bought it. Reading your posts, it seems our tastes align pretty well. The Trio is an excellent IEM, but at times I feel I need just a little more excitement and often hybrids can provide that where DDs tend to err on the safe side. Much has been said about the natural timbre of DDs but I think this is partly due to the fact that we are exposed to dynamic drivers much more in TVs, radios, home speakers and so on. Live music always has more immediacy than recorded music and I feel BAs and planar have a bit more of that element in their presentation than DDs (at least in the 130 or so IEMs I have owned!). When I get the ST7 I will conduct a shoot-out and report back. Thank you for the recommendation!
Your description of the Trio hits home, so I await your impressions patiently, and have a good feeling you'll enjoy the ST7. You're welcome and cheers!

May 14, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #101,471 of 103,542
What are the mods for 3T-154?? I recently got one
Put some 3M Transpore over the front vent holes for a dynamic bass increase and make this set much more balanced

May 14, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #101,472 of 103,542
The POINT is I'm not connected to any company, and I also don't do reviews (I used to, and I also used to get free samples as well as discounted samples), so my SPIRIT in this room is to point out MY VISION OF WHAT A DISCOVERY VALUE IS, and for those who might be new, living on a hard budget, or looking for top value to performance, can use all bits of information to make an educated decision on what IEM will best fit their aural blueprint.

Another thing, and you shouldn't get so offended when someone offers differing opinions of your blind allegiance to Penon or any other company, or ask a question in regards to a product you "advertise" on the thread? Also, I don't need to hear every IEM that is released to have an opinion on it. WHY? Because of the job you reviewers are doing. So if you aren't internally a "shill", and if you are doing "God's work" in a truly honest way, then any one of us laymen can learn exactly what an IEM is about. Multiple honest reviews, read by someone with experience and knowledge, pretty much can get the foundation of what an IEM "sounds like", without having to personally try them all out. Many of us aren't fortunate enough to get free samples sent our way, or get them at a great discount, or for those who say "but I buy all my gear!", that's fantastic you're wealthy enough to buy everything released, or foolish enough to rack up credit card debt? Either way, I judge you not for it, and salute whoever is in that position, or the person getting the free samples for review purposes. I know that feeling, and it's rad. But back to what I was saying, I don't need to hear them all to know what something sounds like. If so, reviewers and impressions would be USELESS and INEFFECTIVE, and so what would that make you?

Lastly, I'm presenting a HIGHLY RESPECTED AND POSITIVELY REVIEWED IEM that is less than half the cost of the Penon Voltage with almost the same technical specs. So for someone who is looking for that kind of rig, and is on a budget, or looking to get a taste of summit fi at a mid fi price, then based on an overwhelming response from respected reviewers, the Volare definitely should be presented alongside the Voltage at $1,300 with taxes. Did I say the Voltage sucked and shouldn't be purchased or considered? That's never been said or shared. I'd never do that. Twice I've posted the Volare side by side with the Voltage, as a price comparison based on the similar tech. So unless you are a Penon representative and we don't know about this, there shouldn't be any reaction at all to a low key alternative? Right?
Couldn't have been said better!

May 14, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #101,473 of 103,542
OMH I'm listening to Halley's Comet by Billie Eilish with my KZ D-fi (non-switch version that I got on Aliexpress for like $4) and my jaw is on the floor. how can these be this good?!
compared them to the ZS10 PRO 2 and while the details are better, the vocals are about the same, and the bass is simply less impactful. Adequate is the best I can say.

May 14, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #101,474 of 103,542
Not exactly cheap, but I got these mainly for the design. Don't be fooled though, they sound pretty good. TRN azure dragon.
They come with a modular cable and three nozzles (not these though, as I bought the demo from HighEnd).
Planar magnetic.
1000027773.jpg

May 14, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #101,475 of 103,542
Put some 3M Transpore over the front vent holes for a dynamic bass increase and make this set much more balanced
Thanks man. Saw your video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back