The discovery thread!
Mar 11, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #96,826 of 99,968
Whatever comes out of those music app would be resampled by Android to 48kHz (or 44kHz?) if you listen via the built-in DAC. I think HiBy App can overcome this and output hi-res lossless, but YouTube and others would be resampled.

IMHO, it does not matter.

I’m more concerned about the weak amp of this device, though I guess it would handle something like AFUL P8 just fine. Likely not the Magic One and definitely none of those FatFreq bass cannon. On the other hand, 10+ hour battery for an Android DAP is a great thing, assuming that Hiby can deliver that promise.
192kHz in the case of the M300, not the usual 44 / 48kHz. And this via a high quality algorithm.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 11, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #96,827 of 99,968
In so many ways I still don’t know what those $1000 and $2000 cables sound like?
Me neither :)

But I also know that I can't hear as well as people with absolute hearing or my friend who has a music studio.
I used to hang out a lot with him, and often, when I dropped by his studio,
I'd have no clue what he was doing when testing sound with his colleagues when they would measure sound in the room.

I would notice absolutely nothing when they commented on the sound.
Also...he had lots of cables...I just loved that part, too :wink:

I simply returned them, and he told me later they were way too bright.
But some folks love bright, not a bad thing.

These Annorum cables are brighter than the Dynavox I had, but man, they make my speaker punch harder, and it's not just that.
They are leagues above in excitement!

I don't have any preferences regarding sound, but I have noticed that I do not like studio monitor sound when enjoying listening to music.
It's just soulless and dull, and that's, for example, The Composer from AA. But obviously, some folks are crazy about these headphones.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #96,828 of 99,968
Shown here the new OFC Copper Plug

DSC_0060.jpegqcx.jpeg
DSC_1096.jpegqd.jpeg
Note design on bottom

The Rhodium Plated Plug
The Palladium Purple Plug
The Oxygen Free Copper Plug
The Totem Adaptor Plug 3.5mm
The Totem Adaptor Plug 4.4mm

The OS133 Adapter Cable

The Rhodium Plug review:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-penon-rhodium-plated-modular-plug.26746/reviews#review-31868

https://penonaudio.com/penon-purple-copper-plug.html
https://penonaudio.com/PENON-OFC-Plug.html

Of the three adapter cables, they can be put before your regular cable, as note each is 4.4mm to 4.4mm or 3.5mm to 3.5mm.

DSC_1094.jpegx2.jpeg

Laughably I even have more Plugs than photographed here........so confusing at times. :)

As such the The Palladium Purple plug and palladium 2Pin plugs are used with the new ASOS+ to completely change the tone from the original ASOS.
DSC_1089.jpegqxq.jpegDSC_1085.jpeg1221.jpeg
The cable construction is slightly different too.
DSC_1092.jpegwe1.jpeg
DSC_1078.jpegxw.jpeg
The ASOS+ Palladium Purple plug permanently attached.
Say, one measurement on cable that we could do is the resistance level. in a simpler understanding, the lower, the better.
Do modular plug have effect on the resistance level?

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #96,829 of 99,968
Say, one measurement on cable that we could do is the resistance level. in a simpler understanding, the lower, the better.
Do modular plug have effect on the resistance level?
Each material that the signal passes through affects the tone. Yet that is why some hear a difference with Palladium Plugs compared to Rhodium Plugs. The thing is listeners all over the world hear these plugs the same even if not told what they do beforehand. I have not done much play with the OFC copper yet. But the Rhodium makes the signal brighter and almost a thinner enhancement of treble energy. The Purple Palladium Plugs add image density. Each metal used has effects that generally are accepted by everyone. Graphene component in the actual cable wire can change the treble and midrange to be not as bright as silver but still enhanced, offering a smoother take on the sound. Graphene enhances soundstage with thicker images, and trims the bass a little when used. It’s fine if you don’t perceive this as not everyone does, doesn’t make the other half wrong? We all perceive (the ones that hear it) these affects the same. We are pretty much all on the same page what materials do to a signal. Sure there are tests but some things are outside of the ability to test. Can you measure soundstage no. Can you measure imaging no. We can get an idea as to the speed of a driver with waterfall graphs, but most of this is undocumented, as it is too subtle to detect.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #96,830 of 99,968
In so many ways I still don’t know what those $1000 and $2000 cables sound like? But I do have some antique power cables I purchased 2nd hand. So there is that. But I’ve never heard a $1000 IEM cable?
Yes you do. Totem is at that level. I can vouche for them and are easily comparable to 1K plus level cables. That is the level of cable that costs about that much.

In other news. I want to put up a question for discovery folks. Whats your favorite at the moment.

For me it is simple. I haven't been able to unhear the TSMR-X since I got them. I have done a few reviews in between but I can't stop listening to them.

Though I have to admit the new NiceHCK Himalayas are doing a damn good job taking my attention away from the lush bass of the TSMR-X.

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #96,831 of 99,968
If I don't have to cut collecting somewhere...I would be so into collecting cables, too :)
And not because of the sound, but simply because they look cool! And, if they make a noticeable change in sound, that's even better.

Perhaps when my wife and I move to a bigger place/home, I will start collecting cables, too :wink:

Hmm, it's weird that some people hear differences and some don't, but some people have better hearing, and some don't, right? And I don't think about losing hearing; I am talking about better hearing genetically. There are people with absolute hearing, right? But they fall into a rare group—like unique—and often they are musicians.

But there is one thing that is common to all of us...and that's ego...it's hard to admit that I can't hear what others can...then I'd rather believe it's not there at all :)
The thing is it is not the physical ear. It is the mind/sound connection. That’s why those that heard differences are often musicians, they have two styles of mind training. One they know what real instruments sound like, and two they have an ability to hear small changes, not from the physical hearing, but the neurological pathways. Obviously this is an over generalization, but these are the basic concepts.

Part of it is obviously that if you had correct spaghetti, then you understand the concepts. That would be knowing and understanding musical instruments. You know when they are recorded and played back correctly. The second sound thing is simply mind hearing. It doesn’t matter because half of sound perception is inside the mind, it has nothing to do with the actual physical mechanisms of hearing.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #96,832 of 99,968
It doesn’t matter because half of sound perception is inside the mind, it has nothing to do with the actual physical mechanisms of hearing.
Hahaha that's obvious...the brain is the master, not the ear drum...it would be alarming that it's not. :)

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #96,833 of 99,968
Hahaha that's obvious...the brain is the master, not the ear drum...it would be alarming that it's not. :)
That is interesting where absolute pitch comes from, as some are born with it, and some learn to do it. Still it is rare like 1 in 10 000. But it is identified musical notes, I really don’t know much about it, but it has to do with understanding and playing a perfect note.

My Mother was a piano teacher and we had a baby grand in the living room, then whole groups of people at the house every weekend playing all styles of instruments, but I rebelled against it, mainly because it had nothing to do with rock and roll, therefore useless.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #96,834 of 99,968
@fidgeraldo,
The weirdest thing is when you start to put confirmation bias onto different cables. We try to be open minded, except you will do it anyway.... no avoiding it. Then you start to have favorite cables, and off wild toned fixer cables which align the sound more to your liking. But of the regular cables, they get often more love because they don’t alter the IEMs personality too much, so they are easy going. But you know you are in trouble when you start putting cables inside of independent individual box’s.....then start referring to them by thinking about what personality they do or carry.
So, Redcar,
How did the SR 5 and the ASOS+ sound together?

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #96,835 of 99,968
So, Redcar,
How did the SR 5 and the ASOS+ sound together?
Obviously the SR5 is still burning in. And I have gone back to it a few times. In a nutshell I view the SR5 as the definitive Hybrid. Meaning it is a mixture of one DD and 4 BAs. So the sound is in many ways the opposite of a full-range DD. The ASOS+ is nice yet I’m still coming to terms with the SR5. Meaning I like it and it is good for the money, those 4 BAs really put out the dislocated image. Hah.....dislocated in a good way. Where the ASOS by itself may show more BA timbre (which is unavoidable) yet the + is slightly darker and thicker imaging, more real? I actually need to do more cable rolls to know if it is best or not for that? Maybe?

But really you can’t loose with getting the ASOS+, as it goes with really anything..... some maybe better, and others slightly less best, but still great? But the + is very different from the original ASOS, so much that the two are complementary. They both travel different ground, with that said the SR5 is also as you know (maybe) very middle of the road, so it may go with either cable? But both ASOS and ASOS+ are both polite and yet dynamic sounding, it is hard in a way to describe them. Where the ASOS is slightly brighter, yet it was never hot or anything, and this new + gets more density to the notes and thicker imaging. I still need to spend more time with both cables and the SR5.............

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #96,836 of 99,968
2DD + 2BA + 2 planars - presumably the BA size/shape planars for highs
Blessing 3 is 2DD + 4BA
I'm glad that they are doing something different, but it's almost more confusing as there is a Blessing 2 Dusk, now a Dusk 2. It's a little much tbh.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #96,837 of 99,968

FiiO M23 DAP and K19​

777F297E-B74C-4140-B18C-9BE9519604C3.jpeg1510B0B3-7E06-4E32-B93E-CC8E58EFB8B4.jpeg
IMG_6825.jpeg

Hopefully this release is not as boring as this film 😂

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #96,838 of 99,968
Some totally like it and some are on the fence about it.
@AmericanSpirit special. Bought it under his recommendation, but the fit was atrocious for me. Loved the sound, and it had excellent mids and a very punchy bass, but that shell was massive, and just wasn't comfortable to wear, so I sold them, and the head-fi'er who bought them loves them, so it turned out great in the end.

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #96,839 of 99,968
Mar 11, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #96,840 of 99,968
Yes you do. Totem is at that level. I can vouche for them and are easily comparable to 1K plus level cables. That is the level of cable that costs about that much.

In other news. I want to put up a question for discovery folks. Whats your favorite at the moment.

For me it is simple. I haven't been able to unhear the TSMR-X since I got them. I have done a few reviews in between but I can't stop listening to them.

Though I have to admit the new NiceHCK Himalayas are doing a damn good job taking my attention away from the lush bass of the TSMR-X.
The TSMR-X is on my long range radar. But my current go to for the desktop, is one of your prior recommendations, the Penon 10th Anniversary. Just not comfortable walking around with a plus $500 IEM. For on the go iKKO OH10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back