The discovery thread!
Mar 11, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #96,811 of 101,088
Here is my latest find: the Tangzu Xuanwu Gate! It's supposed to be a flagship model with a neutral sound, but for me, it was a bit too spicy. The detail retrieval and 3D soundstage are impressive though. If you're curious, I'll drop a link to my video review. Here are a few pics.

IMG_20240311_145657.jpg
IMG_20240311_145227.jpg
IMG_20240311_145247.jpg

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #96,812 of 101,088
Finalising my review of Maestro Mini and Scarlet Mini when I came across this arrangement by Samuel Kim:

Goosebumps all over with the drums of liberation. I have been repeating this track many times already. This type of music is what the Maestro Mini was designed for.

Edit: the final scoring of FatFreq pairs are available on my database

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #96,813 of 101,088
Moondrop Golden Age
(TWS, Planar, LDAC+LC3+AAC, $79)

---
regardless whether its true planar or pseudo planar, the packaging seems nice and LDAC capable TWS, with "exotic driver", tuned by moondrop at $80 is pretty good deal
the driver is apparently a 13mm "super linear planar driver", but the design diagram calls it an "annular planar driver" so it looks like it's a pseudo-planar

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #96,815 of 101,088
Shown here the new OFC Copper Plug

DSC_0060.jpegqcx.jpeg

DSC_1096.jpegqd.jpeg

Note design on bottom

The Rhodium Plated Plug
The Palladium Purple Plug
The Oxygen Free Copper Plug
The Totem Adaptor Plug 3.5mm
The Totem Adaptor Plug 4.4mm

The OS133 Adapter Cable

The Rhodium Plug review:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-penon-rhodium-plated-modular-plug.26746/reviews#review-31868

https://penonaudio.com/penon-purple-copper-plug.html
https://penonaudio.com/PENON-OFC-Plug.html

Of the three adapter cables, they can be put before your regular cable, as note each is 4.4mm to 4.4mm or 3.5mm to 3.5mm.

DSC_1094.jpegx2.jpeg

Laughably I even have more Plugs than photographed here........so confusing at times. :)

As such the The Palladium Purple plug and palladium 2Pin plugs are used with the new ASOS+ to completely change the tone from the original ASOS.
DSC_1089.jpegqxq.jpeg
DSC_1085.jpeg1221.jpeg

The cable construction is slightly different too.
DSC_1092.jpegwe1.jpeg

DSC_1078.jpegxw.jpeg

The ASOS+ Palladium Purple plug permanently attached.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #96,816 of 101,088
Shown here the new OFC Copper Plug

DSC_0060.jpegqcx.jpeg
DSC_1096.jpegqd.jpeg
Note design on bottom

Rhodium Plated Plug
The Palladium Purple Plug
Oxygen Free Copper Plug
Totem Adaptor Plug 3.5mm
Totem Adaptor Plug 4.4mm

OS133 Adapter Cable
Silver plug:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-penon-rhodium-plated-modular-plug.26746/reviews#review-31868
https://penonaudio.com/penon-purple-copper-plug.html
https://penonaudio.com/PENON-OFC-Plug.html

Of the three adapter cables, they can be put before your regular cable, as note each is 4.4mm to 4.4mm or 3.5mm to 3.5mm.

DSC_1094.jpegx2.jpeg

Laughably I even have more Plugs than photographed here........so confusing at times. :)

As such the The Palladium Purple plug and 2Pin plugs are used with the new ASOS+ to completely change the tone from the original ASOS.
DSC_1089.jpegqxq.jpegDSC_1085.jpeg1221.jpeg
The cable construction is slightly different too.
DSC_1092.jpegwe1.jpeg
DSC_1078.jpegxw.jpeg
The Palladium Purple plug
I wish I can understand your passion for Penon cables. I would "retire" from this hobby if I have to reviews and be excited about cables all the time.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #96,817 of 101,088
I wish I can understand your passion for Penon cables. I would "retire" from this hobby if I have to reviews and be excited about cables all the time.
I did something really wild. A box arrived and my wife came upstairs and handed it to me. It was the ASOS+ and the SR5 IEM. So it’s did something silly I hooked up the ASOS+ to the SR5, never heard either. And yes it was different than trying the ASOS normal with the SR5.

Still I don’t know why I’m into it so much, except getting a new cable is like getting 50 new IEMs at once? It changes the individual IEM sound.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #96,818 of 101,088
I did something really wild. A box arrived and my wife came upstairs and handed it to me. It was the ASOS+ and the SR5 IEM. So it’s did something silly I hooked up the ASOS+ to the SR5, never heard either. And yes it was different than trying the ASOS normal with the SR5.

Still I don’t know why I’m into it so much, except getting a new cable is like getting 50 new IEMs at once? It changes the individual IEM sound.
I weep for the 2 pin connectors of your IEMs :dt880smile:

Well, you do you. I rarely hear difference between cables, and when I do, there seem to be no discernable theory that is not easily disproved, unlike the stability to subjective-to-graph mapping. The lack of explainable and predictable theory drives me mad. Maybe that's why I can't understand your love of cables.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #96,819 of 101,088

Well, you do you. I rarely hear difference between cables, and when I do, there seem to be no discernable theory that is not easily disproved, unlike the stability to subjective-to-graph mapping. The lack of explainable and predictable theory drives me mad. Maybe that's why I can't understand your love of cables.
Normally the 2Pins are OK, but yes, I have hurt 2 IEMs in the 2Pin dept where they are not totally loose but modified by changing so much, but only two out of a bunch. Still it is the Noble Audio Encore and the Penon Serial. So they are not loose or anything, but not tight either. I figure that is a pretty good track record?

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #96,820 of 101,088
Still I don’t know why I’m into it so much, except getting a new cable is like getting 50 new IEMs at once?
If I don't have to cut collecting somewhere...I would be so into collecting cables, too :)
And not because of the sound, but simply because they look cool! And, if they make a noticeable change in sound, that's even better.

Perhaps when my wife and I move to a bigger place/home, I will start collecting cables, too :wink:

Well, you do you. I rarely hear difference between cables, and when I do, there seem to be no discernable theory that is not easily disproved, unlike the stability to subjective-to-graph mapping.
Hmm, it's weird that some people hear differences and some don't, but some people have better hearing, and some don't, right? And I don't think about losing hearing; I am talking about better hearing genetically. There are people with absolute hearing, right? But they fall into a rare group—like unique—and often they are musicians.

But there is one thing that is common to all of us...and that's ego...it's hard to admit that I can't hear what others can...then I'd rather believe it's not there at all :)

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #96,821 of 101,088

There are more things not explainable than explained. Every sunset is different. What is the difference from import wine from domestic wine. Try to fully explain it, you can’t. Best to ride along if you’re into it or find something else to get into as there are multifaceted aspects to this hobby. It’s personal perception, so no one is wrong.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #96,822 of 101,088
@fidgeraldo,
The weirdest thing is when you start to put confirmation bias onto different cables. We try to be open minded, except you will do it anyway.... no avoiding it. Then you start to have favorite cables, and off wild toned fixer cables which align the sound more to your liking. But of the regular cables, they get often more love because they don’t alter the IEMs personality too much, so they are easy going. But you know you are in trouble when you start putting cables inside of independent individual box’s.....then start referring to them by thinking about what personality they do or carry.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #96,824 of 101,088
I recently bought Supra XL Annorum speaker cables and changed the old Dynavox ones.
It's night and day difference...so I might be tripping :)

I liked the sound before (I am not picky anyway), but now it's...sublime! :)
In so many ways I still don’t know what those $1000 and $2000 cables sound like? But I do have some antique power cables I purchased 2nd hand. So there is that. But I’ve never heard a $1000 IEM cable?

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #96,825 of 101,088
I recently bought Supra XL Annorum speaker cables and changed the old Dynavox ones.
It's night and day difference...so I might be tripping :)

I liked the sound before (I am not picky anyway), but now it's...sublime! :)
My very first cable test was in 2008, a buddy had some pure silver interconnects that he was trying to parlay over (to me) and I tried them with my CD Player and Woo 5LE. Yet they were way to bright and too much energy. So my first expensive cables were replaced back with $15 Monster Cables. It was a no-go. I simply returned them, and he told me later they were way too bright. To only be used for tweeters in a 3way amplified speaker system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back