The discovery thread!
Mar 11, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #96,841 of 101,312
The thing is it is not the physical ear. It is the mind/sound connection. That’s why those that heard differences are often musicians, they have two styles of mind training. One they know what real instruments sound like, and two they have an ability to hear small changes, not from the physical hearing, but the neurological pathways. Obviously this is an over generalization, but these are the basic concepts.

Part of it is obviously that if you had correct spaghetti, then you understand the concepts. That would be knowing and understanding musical instruments. You know when they are recorded and played back correctly. The second sound thing is simply mind hearing. It doesn’t matter because half of sound perception is inside the mind, it has nothing to do with the actual physical mechanisms of hearing.
Bro, DS is asking about favorites at the moment? I might be wrong, but this might just be a way to change the subject of cables, so we don't go down the rabbit hole we often go down in this thread about cables, which not so ironically, is usually originating from a post you make about cables? So are you still high on the Quintet? Or has that been replaced by something more audiolicious?

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #96,842 of 101,312
Yes you do. Totem is at that level. I can vouche for them and are easily comparable to 1K plus level cables. That is the level of cable that costs about that much.

In other news. I want to put up a question for discovery folks. Whats your favorite at the moment.

For me it is simple. I haven't been able to unhear the TSMR-X since I got them. I have done a few reviews in between but I can't stop listening to them.

Though I have to admit the new NiceHCK Himalayas are doing a damn good job taking my attention away from the lush bass of the TSMR-X.
It's been a bounce back and forth between the OD200 and the CCA Trio. If I'm in the mood for musicality, I drop the OD200. Technicalities? The Trio. Though honestly, the OD200 is no slouch in the technicalities, but the Trio has a wider and deeper audio field, but the OD200 has better overall resolution and I like the timbre on the OD200. Just feels fuller to my ears.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #96,843 of 101,312
Review for Aune AR5000 is up. True Reference Tonality and effortless highs. Fun things can be run at full potential with a decent dongle only.
Lastly premium look and feel. Read more here,

- https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aune-ar5000.26908/reviews#review-33245

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-12 at 00.45.22_3b475a44.jpg

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #96,844 of 101,312
Mar 11, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #96,845 of 101,312
NightS4EVA Amp.png

If I am not wrong, someone wrote that this amp's output power is only 1.5W ($100k).

So...the output power is not as important as we (I) thought, better said, as I've heard.
Efficiency? What's the explanation?

I know that SS amps are different and that my tube amp has "only" 2W (for a tube, that's plenty).
I don't know how much power other tube amps bring to the table.
But 1.5W certainly doesn't look much...and I doubt that it wouldn't feed the most demanding headphones easily at $100k :)

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #96,846 of 101,312
I need to join a CanJam soon, sounds like an awesome experience. But its nice to read about the impressions from others also.
I am understanding I need to save up some cash, the Elysian Pilgrim and also the Symphonium Titan is maybe what is the most interesting for me.
Pilgrim with Elysian treble at the rumoured $400 price point, or the Titan being perhaps the first vented Symphonium that also have a DD for the bass.

For now I'm finishing my work on my Campfire Bonneville review. Perhaps my new faovorite IEM when I'm craving a full sounding and lush experience, I love the thicker and visceral bass paired with the lush low midrange. Price is fairly high at $1400, but I would have bought it again if I lost it.

I want to put up a question for discovery folks. Whats your favorite at the moment.
So right now its clearly the Campfire Bonneville.

DSCF4559.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #96,847 of 101,312
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #96,848 of 101,312
FatFreq Maestro Mini
I read a man's impressions of CanJam, and the man was not impressed at all with the bass of Maestro Mini or Scarlet.
He said that he expected more, because of what everyone else talked about.
I remembered your comments about Scarlet instantly. :)

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #96,849 of 101,312
I read a man's impressions of CanJam, and the man was not impressed at all with the bass of Maestro Mini or Scarlet.
He said that he expected more, because of what everyone else talked about.
I remembered your comments about Scarlet instantly. :)
I think the Mini can be too mild for some, but the Scarlet would be too boomy. The Mini is more like a well tuned IEM like Monarch with 20dB subbass boost. The Scarlet is just crazy. 30dB subbass monstrosity but not as clean (maybe impossible to be)

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #96,852 of 101,312
He said that he was not impressed with the amount of bass...he expected more impact :)
I see. Let me elaborate a bit: the Scarlet is kinda like a much crazier version of Monarch II woofer (not Monarch III dual DD). It rumbles a lot but the bass punch is weak, kinda swallowed by the rumble. The Mini has snappier and more defined punch, but it does not rumble as much as the Scarlet. So I can totally see why the person find both FatFreq lacking in bass.

I personally like the Mini. It sounds natural but with very defined bass line. Resolution is just alright, but the imaging is superb. I’m eyeing the Maestro SE.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #96,853 of 101,312
192kHz in the case of the M300, not the usual 44 / 48kHz. And this via a high quality algorithm.
Wait, so everything is upscaled automatically on the M300? That’s neat. I missed that info.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #96,854 of 101,312

Users who are viewing this thread

Back