The discovery thread!
Jan 16, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #93,151 of 102,967
Oh ho! I was hoping 2024 could be the year of budget iems. It can still be of course. (Late last year budget market really began to bloom). To be fair, with your reecho dawn and even pulapa02 and nicehckf1 pro this year has started brightly I guess for over-performing budget iems. May that continue.

One look at your signature tells me the depth of that rabbit-abyss. And in a much much way smaller way (as compared to you) but considering that I live in a non-dollar country and can't really afford to splurge non existing money, I am afraid I am beginning to plunge into the rabbit hole. I was taking a peek, someone pushed me from behind . Trying to hold on to something to get out. Haha. Losing cause it seems.

True story: earlier today I was really calculating if I can end smoking and regular cafe visits coffees and assorted, can I get one 150 dollar or thereabouts iem every month. Haha... Win win situation!
All joking aside, it really is fascinating to go and look through the (other guy’s) reviews from 2016-2017. I remember a few of those and still have a few and it is monumental to take them out and discover just how far we have come, quality wise. I think this year is going to be strong in the under $50 realm. Now none of them are perfect, but it’s kinda like what traits are you going to accept and what are the traits that are going to move your emotions. Probably the number one test of the under $50 realm is to go for prolonged listening runs. Because a bunch of under $50 IEMs are fun for 20 minutes, yet how many can you find yourself with for an entire evening and not want anything else..........there is the test. Because all the under $50 IEWs are going to have some issue with technicalities and maybe tone, but what can you live with?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #93,152 of 102,967
Probably the number one test of the under $50 realm is to go for prolonged listening runs. Because a bunch of under $50 IEMs are fun for 20 minutes, yet how many can you find yourself with for an entire evening and not want anything else..........there is the test. Because all the under $50 IEWs are going to have some issue with technicalities and maybe tone, but what can you live with?
Well put. I am still fine with the Dunu Titan S (60$) that i pull out now and then. described rightly as "vanilla' by @o0genesis0o , but it's a good-quality vanilla. Clears my head space off all the reverbs and blooms that go on with the other iems.

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #93,153 of 102,967
Well put. I am still fine with the Dunu Titan S (60$) that i pull out now and then. described rightly as "vanilla' by @o0genesis0o , but it's a good-quality vanilla. Clears my head space off all the reverbs and blooms that go on with the other iems.
I’m seeing that sell actually for $79, but that does look balanced and still fun! I think a lot of this game is also learning to like stuff that you may think is boring at first, like you keep focusing and trying, then you start to learn to like the sound more. Though where that place has been for me has been at the $150.00 mark, where IEMs that I thought were boring in that range start to prove their worth more somehow with bringing them back, back from the sea of lost causes... so to speak. I am hopping that 2024 is the year of the fabulous $49.99 IEM?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #93,154 of 102,967
I’m seeing that sell actually for $79, but that does look balanced and still fun! I think a lot of this game is also learning to like stuff that you may think is boring at first, like you keep focusing and trying, then you start to learn to like the sound more. Though where that place has been for me has been at the $150.00 mark, where IEMs that I thought were boring in that range start to prove their worth more somehow with bringing them back, back from the sea of lost causes... so to speak. I am hopping that 2024 is the year of the fabulous $49.99 IEM?
Oh it was on a discount when I got it last year, then, i guess. It's pretty decent IEM - tonally, timbre, soundstage, clarity, detail-retrieving above average (better than simgot 500 for that matter, prefer Titan S over EA500). I recommend that as the first IEM to friends in fact; particularly when they aren't sure what they like in an IEM; it has the 'audiophile' tuning covered and will let you know which spectrum you need more to identify your future purchases.
Cheers to the 2024 wish of yours!

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #93,155 of 102,967
I can give give you his verdict now: the best budget iem ever, coloured but great? Sub bass less, more mid bass? With change of cable, the soundstage opened up dramatically? (Code insert) With ear tips mids changed more full bodied? (Code insert) Something in the treble causes fatigue, that pinna gain? But ear surgery helped? (Surgeon contact)

Just kidding @Redcarmoose :) hope you don't mind! will await your feedback!
LMAO

This was hilarious

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #93,156 of 102,967
My humble takes on LETSHUOER S15 ╮(╯▽╰)╭

(1) IN-DEPTH REVIEW
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/letshuoer-s15.26842/reviews#review-32728
(2) VS 7hz TIMELESS FEAT. KINERA LEYDING.

IMG_20240112_181852.jpg
IMG_20240112_183136.jpg

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #93,159 of 102,967
Ha, I’m just like you, only Vivian sends me emails with codes? So then I post them here? So, hopefully people may like the DB2........I don’t know haven’t heard it yet? It just came out.
Any new codes for the NiceHck F1 Pro? I see they've changed their cable bundles offers - now one with the FirstTouch cable for a small-ish uplift in price and one with the MoonGod cable that doubles the price. Don't know what those cables are like but people spoke well of the bundle with the Cyan cable (including you I think?)

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #93,160 of 102,967
Any new codes for the NiceHck F1 Pro? I see they've changed their cable bundles offers - now one with the FirstTouch cable for a small-ish uplift in price and one with the MoonGod cable that doubles the price. Don't know what those cables are like but people spoke well of the bundle with the Cyan cable (including you I think?)
Stock cable with f1 Pro isn't bad fyi. Easily a 30-dollar cable to the point I didn't feel a need to cable swap.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #93,161 of 102,967
Stock cable with f1 Pro isn't bad fyi. Easily a 30-dollar cable to the point I didn't feel a need to cable swap.
But don't you know cables change EVERYTHING!!! (allegedly)

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #93,162 of 102,967
But don't you know cables change EVERYTHING!!! (allegedly)
I don't think they change anything, well so minor I can't tell a difference. But I love them! It is like clothing with iem, very important.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #93,163 of 102,967
I don't think they change anything, well so minor I can't tell a difference. But I love them! It is like clothing with iem, very important.
Agree that the right pairing can change the iem but for me it's the fit and look not the sound. Guess my ears aren't good enough to pick it up

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #93,164 of 102,967
Agree that the right pairing can change the iem but for me it's the fit and look not the sound. Guess my ears aren't good enough to pick it up
lol same, My ears are old, I don't think can tell anything.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #93,165 of 102,967
First weekend with the Szalayi was a total joy.

- the soundstage on this set is huge for an IEM. Something tells me planar drivers are the secret sauce for staging in IEMs, after this and the MP145.

- the bass on the Sza continues to impress. It’s so full and accurate, yet the bleed into the mids is basically non-existent. I can easily separate out what is where doing what, even when the bass is going absolutely nuts.

- the included cable rules. It’s so simple, fabric but not microphonic, keeps no memory of knots at all. I want one for all my IEMs.

- crazy source dependent. The better your chain is, the more you will get out of these. I cannot use these with BT, and audio not mixed well isn’t great. it sounded way less dynamic when using a standard 3.5mm cable.

- the real magic of this set is how full the sound is for how non-fatiguing it is to wear. The shells are quite large even, but I will still forget they are in my ears, playing music. They are just so natural, the treble shines just enough but that is easily the part taking the biggest hit in the balance of the tuning.

- I did notice a couple micro scratches on the faceplates. Unsure if that is my fault or what, I can’t imagine what caused it but meh! It’s not that big of a deal.

IMG_6409.jpeg

Edit - meant to say this too. “Planar timbre”; this set doesn’t have it to my ears. I quite like that tonality, you can tell by my signature how much I like planar drivers but to me, this set doesn’t have that “planar zing” people talk about in other sets utilizing a planar. It’s very natural.
Own a pair of these beauties and they sound so beautiful. My search for basshead iems ended with Sza. Enjoy yours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back