The discovery thread!
Jan 7, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #92,521 of 100,030
What would be the least expensive set-up that you could truly live with? Now I’m not asking for exactly your preferred set-up, but the minimum you could possibly get by with?

Here is mine.

Shanling UA3 Dongle $109.00
7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM $19.99............maybe?

Or

Dunu Vulkan IEM $379.99
Shanling UA3 Dongle $109.00..........probably.

+old phone $Free

The minimum I could possibly live with.

Good question. Does used gears count? If so, I would say the beat up Gaea that I got for a very good price + Hiby R3II.

Otherwise, maybe MagicOne and Hiby R3II.

A well tuned single DD from the - what in Chifi world feels like - ancient times is always going to make us question all our later purchases at 5-100x the price. Detailed listening and obsessing over minutiae is what gets us audiophiles into trouble. I felt the same when I last listened to my Wan'er a week back. I do that now and then just to keep my eager fingers away from any Buy buttons.

Nah, I need my technical performance to be at least 4/5 across the board. Maybe I’ll accept 3/5 resolution only if the stage is 4/5 or above and the tuning is excellent . My Aria is pristine because I everytime I listen to it for more than a few songs, I get irritated by its overall pillowy transient :dt880smile: but credit where credit dues, the tuning was excellent, and resolution was fair for the price. Newer DD IEM I have tried are either more expensive, tuned not as good, or merely at the same technical performance level, thus I question the progress of this particular kind of IEMs.

Edit: you have some kickass Penon and AuR IEMs already, what do you want to buy?

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #92,522 of 100,030
What would be the least expensive set-up that you could truly live with? Now I’m not asking for exactly your preferred set-up, but the minimum you could possibly get by with?
[...]
The minimum I could possibly live with.
With a smartphone, my Ibasso DC03Pro and the Simgot EW200, but for a real "standalone mode" maybe my Hiby R3Pro with the Simgot EA500

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #92,523 of 100,030
For me the biggest issue is I am not comfortable using my Phone for Music. So I atleast need a dedicated DAP. Possibly Wm1A used or maybe used QP2R(which I recently acquired for a really good deal). Along with it I would pair a decent single DD, maybe EA1000. That would be my at the very least setup with the best sound possible.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #92,524 of 100,030
New Year and expenditures are just not stopping by any means, I have craved long enough for a CD player and then I saw this today available at a local retailer. The Shanling EC Mini and now I have ordered some CD's as well. Currently using the left over CD's from my childhood days(which are probably 15+ years old and sstill work. Shanling EC Mini sounds really good btw. It has that analogish character(while using CD). And for other uses we also have USB DAC, BT functionality as well.

1704635074769.png

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #92,525 of 100,030
I was told it will be sold at $199. At that price these are going to fly off the shelves. They will be accessible to everyone. I know it's not exactly cheap but considering the level of sound these things are throwing out. Ya it is very aggressively priced.
@ 200$ they're not cheap, neither expensive. I might be able to sneak that amount by my wife. Otherwise, I'm looking into more "HiFi" prices that would need savings, sales, or a second market to make them more accessible/appealing. Looking to November 11/11, Black Friday, and my Birthday :) If I manage to contain myself, lol

I've never spent this money on any iem in a few months, and now I'm hooked on Penon. I didn't hear or know of them until recently, and I can't fathom being in the hobby for quite some time now, not hearing or seeing them before.

I'm just happy I landed on the forum.

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #92,526 of 100,030
Nah, I need my technical performance to be at least 4/5 across the board. Maybe I’ll accept 3/5 resolution only if the stage is 4/5 or above and the tuning is excellent . My Aria is pristine because I everytime I listen to it for more than a few songs, I get irritated by its overall pillowy transient :dt880smile: but credit where credit dues, the tuning was excellent, and resolution was fair for the price. Newer DD IEM I have tried are either more expensive, tuned not as good, or merely at the same technical performance level, thus I question the progress of this particular kind of IEMs.

Edit: you have some kickass Penon and AuR IEMs already, what do you want to buy?
I would agree. I'm listening to Wan'er again and the softness and imaging imprecision is noticeable. Vocals are very forward due to reduced bass and treble, but note weight and resolution are subpar. Serves as a brain reset for when I reach for my delicious midrange reproducing Aure.

I do and I love all of them. Not much on my radar currently besides the Ascension and potentially OD200 or EA1000.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #92,527 of 100,030
Jan 7, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #92,528 of 100,030
Is $200 the price Mr. Hui is shooting for if so that sounds like a very competitive candidate in a very busy price point.
Will you be getting one? I'll be interested to know how they fare against the Pula PA02. I bought them by the way, the PA02. The curve seems highly promising (as I am enjoying the OH700VB immensely), and I was missing a competent hybrid iem under $200, hence pulled the trigger.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #92,529 of 100,030
So I figure I would post my early impressions on the new NEO3 on here first. Believe me these are definitely discovery material. So here it is. It is a bit of a longer read but these imo are special at the price Penon will sell these things for. The RP will be toward the conclusion. Take a read.
ISN NEO3
DSC01510.JPG
NEO3 is the newest creation from ISN, a sister company of Penon. If you have never heard a ISN IEM before. A lot of what Penon does for their house sound shows up for ISN IEMs but the ISN IEM has its own flavor sort to say. Lets dig into the new NEO3 and why I consider this one significant for ISN.

Penon had some big success with their first 3DD IEM in the Penon serials. Recently that IEM has been updated in a new model as you all know in the new Quattros. Shortly on the heels of the Quattro which has been delayed a bit due to big demand. Will be launched officially very soon. We see a new ISN coming up with what is essentially another 3DD well 2DD+planar in the NEO3
DSC01508.JPG
The new NEO3 is technically a hybrid design using two types of drivers. A 5.8mm planar handling the highs, 6mm dynamic for mids, 6mm dynamic for the lows. All included in a very nice to look at, an all translucent orange resin finish. A first for me anyways but a cool colorway for this IEM. The physical size of the IEM is surprising considering it has 3 essentially 6mm drivers. All tucked away inside the resin shell nicely separated with each driver via sound tube to the nozzles. Overall in looks ,is a densely engineered presentation in a smaller/ medium size shell. These will fit most with no issue due to its smaller compact medium physical ergonomic shape.

Generally ISN IEMs are the more budget friendly version of the Penon sound but then they have their own sound angle vs Penon branded IEMs. Generally are more bass driven vs the more balanced and mids emphasized tunings for Penon IEMs. As pricing goes you will see Penon branded IEMs to be more premium in all things Penon but the ISN brand benefits from the know-how and in house tuning and development from Penon. ISN IEMs are much less about being highly technical but more about getting you into your music. We call it musicality. The great thing about musicality in IEMs is that you don’t need 10 premium drivers per side to achieve musicality. For me anyways, it is either it has it or it doesn't. A lot of IEMs benefit from such a tuning where vocals send shivers down your spine. You get a full impact of the bass emphasis and trebles shimmer in all the right places. This can be called musical. Not to be confused with the Broadway presentation of Phantom of the Opera.

This being said the NEO3 is a supreme example of this musical tuning angle.
DSC01514.JPG
Now here is what you all want to know. What is the NEO3 about. How do they sound? The good news on these is that they are definitely easier to drive. I would say it is similar to the Penon Serial and not the new Quattro. Which is a good thing. They have decent passive isolation as well as it is an all resin build. These utilize mostly dynamics for their sound. They do benefit from some power. But sounds dang good from even your phone.

I did burn them in for a good 50 hours before this impression so I got a good idea of what sound it is going for. To me these share some similarities in how the old classic ISN H40 was tuned. It is a colored sound meaning it's not anything overly neutral but most Penon made IEMs are not neutral. It seems to be a variation of a w shaped tuning angle where you get rich slightly forward mids. Sparkly treble and dedicated punchy bass dynamic handling the lows. Now if you’re wondering if a single 6mm dynamic will have enough grunt for a full bass end. I wouldn't worry so much about that. To this day I have yet to hear an ISN IEM minus one ISN H30 that does not have it in the bass department. In fact it is a part of the ISN tuning angle. The H30 was an outlier due to ISN trying their version of a neutral tuning on it. Otherwise the most recent line up of NEO branded IEMs are all bass driven. NEO3 is not as bassy as the NEO5. I will get that out of the way, it has a bit less mid bass and sub bas extension. Little known NEO1 is a bassy single dynamic set and is true to how these NEO IEMs are tuned. I would say the NEO3 and NEO1 share similar bass presentations. The good news is that the NEO3 still kicks like a mule that has been messed with too much.
DSC01516.JPG
Quattro next to the NEO3

Don't know about what you consider musical but bass has to be a part of that makeup for one of the most basic fundamental aspects of what musical is for an IEM. Music is not music without its rhythm, hence bass being such an integral part of what musical truly means. Some may describe it as a fun tuning. Fun to me is listening to your bassiest IEMs with bass boost on top of that. These are not that.

NEO3 makes sure you're getting proper bass emphasis but not overly emphasized from what I am hearing. I am not hearing any bass bleed but just know the NEO series of IEMs includes bass in the mix. You can say it is a more accurate full flavored depiction of bass or a moderate bass emphasis but to my surprise the single 6mm dynamic does a great job at handling the low end for a NEO branded IEM. Where the NEO3 will make a name for itself is not necessarily the bass which is very capable and digs deep when called upon. It will be its mids.

Mids to me sound slightly forward in the mix. Vocal tracks are what I tested the mids with and they sound marvelous. Both male and female vocals shine, has excellent vocal projection hence Imaging is superb. The plus and minuses of a slightly mid forward vocal projecting sound is that its sound stage can suffer a touch. In comparison, both the Serial and the Quattro both have wider stages but both of those IEMs mids are more closer to neutral than being slightly forward or are their mids recessed. However this is where the sound immersion really kicks into another level on the NEO3. Especially if you're into your vocal music, these are superb. As crazy as this may sound. These remind me of the tuning and tonal balancing of Penons own flagship, the Impacts. However these will not cost even at the price for a set of the ESTs alone used for the Impacts.
DSC01512.JPG
The 6mm mids dynamic handling the mid bands are focused to bring dynamism, accurate timbre, a lush full bodied flavor that ultimately surrounds with a fullness that feels a bit more intimate, definitely more immersive. A bit romantic even in presentation.

Mids don't have the Holography of lets say multi kilobuck IEMs with 4 drivers doing the mids or anything like that but what is presented is a natural rich slightly forward projecting sound that allows one to close their eyes and absolutely enjoy music in its purest form. If the timbral or tonality is skewed, has too much in the upper mids or not much in the lower mids then you can kiss this aspect goodbye but the mids just sounds sooo right. Atmospheric and engrossing the mids presentation of the NEO3 is the real trump card on the NEO3 presentation.

Note weight has been talked about when it comes to IEM sound in reviews and here we are getting it in spades. Penon and ISN IEMs don’t have this issue. There is nothing thin about the sound on the NEO3. Actually the opposite you are getting a heavy dose of mids that don’t overstay their welcome in any parts of its sound. Don't know if the rich tonal character or the slightly forward mids projection that is a win for the NEO3 a bit of both aspects as music sounds full bored, full bodied and has good separation imaging and details for your music to come full and correct.

To be immersed in your music is the reason why we use our earphones is it not? That is the best way to describe what the NEO3 is doing here. NEO3 also has something rare that not too many IEM manufacturers have done. Is the use for a Planar driver for the highs in conjunction of dynamic drivers handling the rest of the sound.

If you ever owned a Planar based IEM. Treble is not an issue with a Planar IEMs. I have yet to hear a Planar IEM that can’t articulate the treble aspects of its tuning. Bass and mids for Planar IEMs can be a hit or miss. I suppose based on how they are tuned the trebles can be a bit much as well but Trebles for a planar is actually a strong suit of the Planar IEM driver.

It was brilliant on ISNs part to use a 5.8mm micro planar for the highs. The crisp sparkly treble on the NEO3 enhances just how musical the sound is. Treble is clean with a transient quality that is more closer to a treble BA for treble presentation than a dynamic. Presents with a speedy snappy agility, tightness and sparkle that all comes into play with the NEO3 trebles. There was a slight disjointment from the treble presentation out of the box but I no longer feel that way after about 50 hoursDSC01506.JPG of burn-in and listening. Burn in is highly recommended.

Technicalities.
Higher end multi BA sets will be more technical. Some dynamic IEMs can be more technical. But how's about trading in a bit of that technical quality for musicality and realism? This to me is a nice trade off because you can have the most detailed technical sound on the planet but how does that translate to music immersion? NEO3 has a certain “ feels right” quality to the sound. There is no other way to describe it.

NEO3 has a clean sparkly treble end to compliment the full bored sound it's going for. This to me is the perfect type of treble in both presence and ability for the type of presentation the NEO3 is going for.

NEO1 had a bit too much trebles, which was mitigated with an included tuning filter. Sounds fine after the nozzle filter change and is more of the classic V shaped tuning for the NEO sound. NEO5 has a balanced L shaped tuning where trebles are a 2ndary to the bass bringing a warm dynamic ISN sound. NEO3 to my ears sounds the most balanced out of the 3. It shows in its tonal character that it has a balanced tuning. Not warm and certainly nothing cold in tone. Somewhere right smack in the middle. Which means it has one of the most natural tonal characters for a NEO IEM.

Its stage is moderately wide but somehow more spacious sounding if not just bigger than it should be coming from these smedium shells. I find myself taking them out of my ears and inspecting them due to the sheer sound authority from these things.. Its imaging is quite good if not amazing at times, sound separation and macro details are above average here for dynamic presentations at its price. The benefit of a different drivers taking over for the highs. mids and the bass. Everything in the sound presentation seems to have equal breath, equal footing on the sound. Micro details level is also quite good here especially for its treble region. It is not going to be leaving you with that not so fresh feeling like you're missing some layers or details to your music let me put it that way. Other IEMs does technical better but these usually are missing out on the full bored sound the NEO3 represents and that is the best aspect of the NEO3. Its the type of IEM you plug into your ears to hear your music in full glory.
DSC01515.JPG
Overall
Here we go again. I never saw this one coming but now I can understand why the NEO1 had such a quick launch that mostly went under the radar. It was because these guys have been working on the NEO3. Out of all the ISN IEMs and there has been some really good ones. ISN H40, EST50, ISN H50, ISN NEO5, if you are curious about the ISN sound. THIS is the one to go with. Not only due to its very cool unique hybrid design but because I feel these are exactly what an ISN IEM should sound like. If you're a dynamic fan you owe it to yourself to get a set. This set I am willing to bet you will be surprised what your hard-earned money will get you nowadays. Penon now has 3 multi dynamic IEMs under their belt and this experience making these have come full circle for the NEO3. Ultimately it comes down to how these IEMs are tuned and how they sound. These sound imo fantastic and to my surprise. They will be retailing for $199! This puts the NEO3 in a very unique spotlight. No BA based hybrid quite sounds like these, no single dynamic or planar IEM sounds quite like these.

I am gonna predict as much a demand as there are for the Penon Quattros. These will take off to an even greater demand. Sure they are not exactly a Quattro or a Serial light. But what they are is musical immersion in its purest form having an entirely different ISN sound to them.
Penon has not let me know when they will have these for sale but this could be another reason why the Quattro release has been delayed a bit. Same factory is frantically making a grip of these things. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up from me. These are worth owning in your collection and I don't care just how expensive your current IEMs are. These I am willing to bet will surprise you.
wow , sounds like just what i am searching for 👍

just curious to know the shells are filled with resin or empty ???

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #92,532 of 100,030
Do you get any distortion with these? I just bought a pair and there's crazy distortion, but if I plug the IEMs back into their wires, the distortion is gone and they sound good again.
As mentioned in the link in that post you replied to, it is solved by having a negative preamp.

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #92,533 of 100,030
Jan 7, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #92,535 of 100,030
childhood days(which are probably 15+ years old
Hmm...childhood 15 years ago...very young chap :wink:
I don't like smartphones either for playing music.

EC mini;
I like the tray, but mechanisms like Shanling EC3 on the top look tempting.

I am looking to get a portable CD (smaller dimensions) player, and the EC mini was on my list and has a solid price, too.
I am not particularly fond of slot loading.

I hope you come up soon with more information.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back