The discovery thread!
Jan 7, 2024 at 12:51 AM Post #92,506 of 101,534

Working on the impressions of Neo5 made me bring out the ancient Aria 2021 for comparison. Anyone has a strong nostalgia seeing the Aria? Remember that waifu black box? Remember how every reviewers and their grandmas gushed over these IEM? Remember horror stories about paint chipping? These were my second IEMs ever. Despite all nitpicking, it was such a nicely tuned single DD IEM.

Now that I take these out for A/B again, it suddenly dawns on me: maybe the “industry” has not progressed as far as I imagined.

I never heard Aria but I do remember the hype. I feel like you have to go back further than that for the advantages of more recent eras to be obviously noticeable. I have also found if I go back and revisit IEMs from from three, four, five years ago, that they often still hold up reasonably well. Maybe instead of being one of the best IEMs in their price range like when they were new, they're now just average by today's standards, but still sound pretty good. I've found this to be the case a few times.

But listening to EX1000 lately makes the 10+ year advantage of modern flagships so much more obvious. I still enjoy it a lot, but its flaw(s) are just glaring in this day and age. And its strengths aren't as strong as they were relative to their competition at the time.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #92,507 of 101,534
I never heard Aria but I do remember the hype. I feel like you have to go back further than that for the advantages of more recent eras to be noticeable. I have also found if I go back and revisit IEMs from from three, four, five years ago, that they often still hold up reasonably well. Maybe instead of being one of the best IEMs in their price range like when they were new, they're now just average by today's standards, but still sound pretty good. I've found this to be the case a few times.

But listening to EX1000 lately makes the 10+ year advantage of modern flagships so much more obvious. I still enjoy it a lot, but its flaw(s) are just glaring in this day and age. And its strengths aren't as strong as they were relative to their competition at the time.
Some old stuff holds up quite well. UE600 for a single BA absolutely does. Tenore by Zero Audio is an excellent listen if you want neutral bright with wide stage, and the NX7 III is a detail monster with resolving bass, as long as you're not a stage monger. Going even further back, I enjoy pulling out my Monster Miles Davis Trumpets for a really good fun musical set that still holds up, but when put up against the EA1000 or OD200, or even the planar Wu Zetian, then get their butts stomped.

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #92,508 of 101,534
Has anyone mentioned when the Quattro will be listed for sale on the Penon web store?
About that. I asked myself and it was delayed for several reasons. Apparently these multi dynamic driver matching and tuning is not easy. Meaning each one has to be measured with each driver matching up correct to specs. Each Quattro and the new NEO3 has to be hand made with precision so no large-scale mass production going on. It seems they were planning on releasing the NEO3 shortly after the Quattro but there might be a very good chance both sets might be released for purchase about the same time.

The demand on the Quattro is at a new level for Penon is what I was told. There are companies that want to get them to sell at their shops. Increasing initial orders for them at the same time they are trying to make enough for initial release.

Penon did sell a handful to folks that messaged them so that is what is out on the wild. Mostly headfiers that frequent the Penon thread. From what I understand they are very close to having enough Quattros for pending release sooner than later was what I was told.

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #92,509 of 101,534
I've reached a point of zen in my aural collection. Not the Dunu kind, but after recently adding the Simgot EA1000 and Oriveti OD200, throwing Coreir Brass tips on the RE800 (at least until my IE600 come back home from the shop), as well as the Wu Zetian, I can say I am at a point where I'll probably pass last years record of 8 months without an IEM purchase (technically, it was more like 10 months, since the purchase that broke up the streak were TWS (Fiio FW3), so I don't count those in a way. The IEM purchase that broke up the moratorium were the HBB Z300 and crappy Kiwi Ears Quartet). I can almost assure you all my next purchase may not happen until Christmas time, or maybe 11.11? With my Sony NW-WM1A attached to my Q1 mk II, my A306 + Q3, A17 + DX170, I'm set. Been listening to them all day, while looking through headfi, and I can't think of anything that would compel me to cough up my hard earned dough to add? At least not at the moment. Maybe the Quattro, 10th Ann, or ISN Neo3 later in the year, but not right now.

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #92,510 of 101,534
About that. I asked myself and it was delayed for several reasons. Apparently these multi dynamic driver matching and tuning is not easy. Meaning each one has to be measured with each driver matching up correct to specs. Each Quattro and the new NEO3 has to be hand made with precision so no large-scale mass production going on. It seems they were planning on releasing the NEO3 shortly after the Quattro but there might be a very good chance both sets might be released for purchase about the same time.

The demand on the Quattro is at a new level for Penon is what I was told. There are companies that want to get them to sell at their shops. Increasing initial orders for them at the same time they are trying to make enough for initial release.

Penon did sell a handful to folks that messaged them so that is what is out on the wild. Mostly headfiers that frequent the Penon thread. From what I understand they are very close to having enough Quattros for pending release sooner than later was what I was told.
Same thing goes on with Aur. If you frequent their Facebook thread, you're more likely to secure their supply first, as they are limited in production.

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #92,511 of 101,534
F3609950-171B-4F92-BA1F-7342A07FAF00.jpeg

Working on the impressions of Neo5 made me bring out the ancient Aria 2021 for comparison. Anyone has a strong nostalgia seeing the Aria? Remember that waifu black box? Remember how every reviewers and their grandmas gushed over these IEM? Remember horror stories about paint chipping? These were my second IEMs ever. Despite all nitpicking, it was such a nicely tuned single DD IEM.

Now that I take these out for A/B again, it suddenly dawns on me: maybe the “industry” has not progressed as far as I imagined.

Haha I dug out the Aria from my dusty drawer and took a listen today.

Aria.jpeg

Well, it would deserve a 3/5 in today's context. Typical VSDF/Harmanish tonality, but the technicalities are pretty weak against some $50ish fare like for example the Simgot EA500.

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #92,512 of 101,534
Haha I dug out the Aria from my dusty drawer and took a listen today.

Aria.jpeg

Well, it would deserve a 3/5 in today's context. Typical VSDF/Harmanish tonality, but the technicalities are pretty weak against some $50ish fare like for example the Simgot EA500.

I don't think it's Harman-ish of latest Moondrop VSDF (the Blessing 3). If anything, Aria was ahead of its time and align with the 10dB target before the target was even discovered. I find the tonality rather beautiful, especially comparing to the Blessing 2 and the EM6L. Moondrop should have focused on this signature instead. But who knows, maybe Blessing 3 signature sells more in China.

I also found the technical performance merely adequate in the grand scheme and particularly lacking for my preference. Still, I'm writing about a 4+1 IEM that cannot strictly outresolve Aria. Can't stress how much I was in denial about this finding.

graph (9).png

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #92,513 of 101,534
I haven't seen anyone post here about the upcoming Elysian Acoustic Labs IEM: Pilgrim

Apparently, it's supposed to be more budget-friendly than the other IEMs in their lineup.

1704605004855.png
1704604889105.png
1704604900150.png
1704604910360.png
Definitely interested. But their iems are so expensive it's hard to justify.

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #92,514 of 101,534
Howdy folks,

My review of Penon Turbo is online on head-fi and my blog.

I must admit that I approached Turbo with a fair share of scepticism due to various factors. However, I was pleasantly surprised that not only my scepticism was overturned, my expectations were exceeded. Turbo is a well-crafted, versatile, and technically competent IEM that has been tuned with character. If you are looking for the “next step” IEM, Turbo receives a recommendation from this reviewer.

Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 4.5/5 (Tonality: 4/5; Resolution: 4/5; Spatial: 4/5; Bass and Dynamic: 5/5)

Bias Score: 4/5 (I like this IEM)

Value proposition: Very high

Turbo_value.png

Turbo_summary.jpg

Updated: January 7, 2024

Edit: one down, two more to go.

Jan 7, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #92,515 of 101,534
Jan 7, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #92,516 of 101,534
What would be the least expensive set-up that you could truly live with? Now I’m not asking for exactly your preferred set-up, but the minimum you could possibly get by with?

Here is mine.

Shanling UA3 Dongle $109.00
7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM $19.99............maybe?

Or

Dunu Vulkan IEM $379.99
Shanling UA3 Dongle $109.00..........probably.

+old phone $Free

The minimum I could possibly live with.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #92,517 of 101,534
F3609950-171B-4F92-BA1F-7342A07FAF00.jpeg

A well tuned single DD from the - what in Chifi world feels like - ancient times is always going to make us question all our later purchases at 5-100x the price. Detailed listening and obsessing over minutiae is what gets us audiophiles into trouble. I felt the same when I last listened to my Wan'er a week back. I do that now and then just to keep my eager fingers away from any Buy buttons.

Jan 7, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #92,518 of 101,534
Jan 7, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #92,519 of 101,534
What would be the least expensive set-up that you could truly live with? Now I’m not asking for exactly your preferred set-up, but the minimum you could possibly get by with?

Here is mine.

Shanling UA3 Dongle $109.00
7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM $19.99............maybe?

Or

Dunu Vulkan IEM $379.99
Shanling UA3 Dongle $109.00..........probably.

+old phone $Free

The minimum I could possibly live with.
Zishan Z4...$100-$110 (a monster of a DAP), but Hiby R2 ($100) would be just fine too.

CCA CRA+...$17-$18...7Hz Salnotes Zero, too.

Cheers!

Jan 7, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #92,520 of 101,534
Zishan Z4...$100-$110 (a monster of a DAP), but Hiby R2 ($100) would be just fine too.

CCA CRA+...$17-$18...7Hz Salnotes Zero, too.

Cheers!
I have the CCA CRA+ and Zero (obviously) too! And such value wasn’t a reality a few years ago, I don’t think, maybe some would argue, but I truly think the budget sector is thriving? Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back