The discovery thread!
Jan 6, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #92,491 of 101,563
IMG_6328.jpeg
…alright
I wish I’m friendly enough with ThieAudio to borrow and graph all three hype IEMs. I have a feeling that they are mostly the same. Would be interesting to hear explanation why they differ in technical performance given same-ish FR.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #92,492 of 101,563
Best write up impressions from you yet! Thanks for sharing I am intrigued sounds like I would like this set of the treble is 5db less than the Neo1. Thanks DSNUTS.

Penon asked me how much I think the IEMs will be. I was conservatively saying it would be in the $300 range. (Actually, I knew that it would be less than the NEO5, just based on naming scheme) But at $200? This type of sound just does not exist. All in due time. I predicted the ISN H40 back in the day would garner a following. I am going to do that again. This time for the NEO3. These are to me just as enjoyable as the Quattros to listen to. Which again took me by complete and utter surprise.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #92,494 of 101,563
Penon asked me how much I think the IEMs will be. I was conservatively saying it would be in the $300 range. (Actually, I knew that it would be less than the NEO5, just based on naming scheme) But at $200? This type of sound just does not exist. All in due time. I predicted the ISN H40 back in the day would garner a following. I am going to do that again. This time for the NEO3. These are to me just as enjoyable as the Quattros to listen to. Which again took me by complete and utter surprise.
Is $200 the price Mr. Hui is shooting for if so that sounds like a very competitive candidate in a very busy price point.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #92,496 of 101,563
Has anyone compared Mangird Top and Sound Rhyme SR7?

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #92,497 of 101,563
I'm thinking it's almost time to get "boned". But for my first foray into this "what's old is new again" technology, I want to keep the spending reasonable.

My current contender is the BGVP DMA, current pre-tax $284 USD
1704570150844.png 1704570343274.png
1704570387584.png
OK!
Ive promise myself being more active on headfi and this thread.

Im super blown away by the BGVP DMA lately...cant wait to get back the UM Mext, BQEYZ Wind and WInter that i loan impulsively....so i can compare real sound value but there you go for a wordy First Impression!
Ok, let’s begin by stating that if it wasn’t for bone conduction driver, I would consider DMA plain V shape but since their a mids bump bypassing ‘’rule of air transmission’’ with bone conduction driver I perceive it as bassy W shape, gently bright way, but this will depend the source matching you do since BC is very transparent to source and a hint bright, perhaps brightest BC I’ve heard. It don’t feel out of place, it’s very cohesive and not too in your head, less so than other BC tribrid like UM Mext (but I will need direct comparison). What I can firmly confirm against 3x pricier Mext is that bass performance including speed, control and layering, are superio with DMA.
This is the kind of magical bass where we have both thump and deep rumble, and not in a warm boomy way since it doesn’t lift or mix with lower mids. Its vast, resonant but controled in its sustain-release, it’s not loose or sloppy, as well the BC add a bit of attack edge improving texture and definition. It’s near basshead but don’t fatigue with too much sound pressure. It’s transparent too and very versatile because we have the dynamic impact that is weighty and the bass line are clean and easy to follow even in busy track. Sub bass is just slightly more elevated than mid but as noted, not in a muddy or sloppy way. Im extremly impress by this exotic bass, and I tend to be a warm and chunky bass lover, here it’s sure not thin, but it isnt meaty or juicy too. Double bass release go deep and realist, it’s not warmed nor compressed in vibrancy or grunt. It flow freely. We are int bass quality meet bass quantity here, so rap and big beat sound fabulous due to excellent layering, but as said, it’s super versatile...this kinda bass should be guilty pleasure if it was coming from a single DD IEM I feel.

Then the mids are something special, its forwards yet not shouty or fatiguing, its gently bright with superb resolution. Readibility of instrument are top notch while intelligibility of vocal are excellent. Thats something that always impress me with BC, how it suddenly make super easy to track vocal and improve word spelling in whatever langage. I tend to use UM Mext for movie cause of this, yet it doesn’t sound as clean and crisp as DMA so I don’t use it often for music (the bass issue again).
Mids are centered and patched above bass and treble without stoling the show or taming their dynamic.
Vocal while clear aren’t very lush nor wide, as say, its centered and very well layered. Timbre is plain neutral, their no bass coloring or extra lushness warmth going on, that’s again the magic of BC.

And now for BAs upper mids and treble, this is well done again. I do think the DMA is a bit sensitive to source output impedance and this is why I use Questyle QP2R DAP.
The highs are speedy and snappy, a hint crunch and nt very sparkly but we have minimal brilliance to percussion still, these are good BAs.
I don’t struggle to follow percussions even with busy track, it seem its what it extract the best in term of micro details because as well resolve it can be, it’s not an analytical IEM and the treble don’t extend up to 20HZ in a boosted way.

Yet, their something...is it a BC spike adding this snap sharpness to BA? Can’t tell right now...but it’s a refined treble in term of tribrid balalance...it have nothing to do with a GeekWold GK100 for ex, it don’t pick up nise artefact you don’t want yet you don’t feel details are lacking or air isn’t opening up spatiality enough….

Damn its quite a long first imprresions What...hum, OK….and its hardest part: Soundstage!
OK, hum, next level holographic? I mean, it feel like you have 4 speakers.
1 in your head. Another in front not far of your head then 2 other one at left-right, not too far too.
Your are in middle of music to the point music feel like coming out of your head too.
I over analyze surely...or magnify. But it’s super immersive for sure even if not as distracting as UM Mest MK3 which is even more intimate.
Imaging is excellent too, but perhaps not the most realistic. Sound layering prevail over static stereo separation….

Ok, it seem I like those for now, we will see how it goes after deeper listening...always deeeeeeeeeeper.

1704562431352.png1704562445749.png1704562389024.png

ANy question feel free to ask.

They are still in my ears, with different dongle, Moondrop Dawn 4.4 now. bass is a bit less thumpy which underline the lean U shape balance of Dawn musicality....but it sound so open and holographic...i do have memories of UM Mest MK3 listening to it...

as well, the DD in these is special...it hook my attention at very first listen so i check 9.2MM Nickel plated DD....never hear this model before.
First impressions are quite positive.
https://primeaudio.org/bgvp-dma-review/

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #92,498 of 101,563
F3609950-171B-4F92-BA1F-7342A07FAF00.jpeg

Working on the impressions of Neo5 made me bring out the ancient Aria 2021 for comparison. Anyone has a strong nostalgia seeing the Aria? Remember that waifu black box? Remember how every reviewers and their grandmas gushed over these IEM? Remember horror stories about paint chipping? These were my second IEMs ever. Despite all nitpicking, it was such a nicely tuned single DD IEM.

Now that I take these out for A/B again, it suddenly dawns on me: maybe the “industry” has not progressed as far as I imagined.

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #92,499 of 101,563

Working on the impressions of Neo5 made me bring out the ancient Aria 2021 for comparison. Anyone has a strong nostalgia seeing the Aria? Remember that waifu black box? Remember how every reviewers and their grandmas gushed over these IEM? Remember horror stories about paint chipping? These were my second IEMs ever. Despite all nitpicking, it was such a nicely tuned single DD IEM.

Now that I take these out for A/B again, it suddenly dawns on me: maybe the “industry” has not progressed as far as I imagined.
ha ha! It has progressed in the hybrids world, no?

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #92,500 of 101,563

How does that Aria still have paint on it?

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #92,501 of 101,563
I haven't seen anyone post here about the upcoming Elysian Acoustic Labs IEM: Pilgrim

Apparently, it's supposed to be more budget-friendly than the other IEMs in their lineup.

1704605004855.png

1704604889105.png

1704604900150.png

1704604910360.png

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #92,504 of 101,563
Jan 7, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #92,505 of 101,563
I was told it will be sold at $199. At that price these are going to fly off the shelves. They will be accessible to everyone. I know it's not exactly cheap but considering the level of sound these things are throwing out. Ya it is very aggressively priced.

Has anyone mentioned when the Quattro will be listed for sale on the Penon web store?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back