The discovery thread!
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #92,461 of 103,543
F1 Pro is pretty tempting however my appetite for planar in ears is waning as my collection grows, probably going to wait till Timeless 2 comes out and see how that one does before splurging on this one.
I hope they don't take the Letshuoer route and charge the Timeless 2 3x of it's predecessor.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #92,462 of 103,543
CVJ BiDong is coming, had quite a few of their models. While build and shell not be the best, the sound often been very good for the price. But the name? 🤔

Copied from FB:

This Valentine's Day, let's meet it - "BiDong", let's sow all the sweetness together and harvest all the romance.

Through headphones and music, we feel the connection with our hearts, making our hearts warm like sunshine.

Let's look forward to the romance that Valentine's Day limited edition headphones "BiDong" and music bring us !💌

#CVJ #new #iems #BiDong #ValentinesDay

1000021304.jpg
I did a little googling aaand

Attachments

• IMG_20240107_001256.jpg
    IMG_20240107_001256.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #92,463 of 103,543
Not only is this helpful but it is absolutely appreciated!

Thanks for making me aware of this coupon, definitely tipped the scales on my end as I was looking at about $155 for IEM+cable in the 4.4mm flavors but after coupon, it was knocked down to $113, much more appetizing!
Great, yes maybe going to 4.4mm cost the extra $ a plug? Really the F1 Pro is my favorite Planar so far, yet the signature is very close to the TANGZU Zetian WU, so close that it may not make sense for a person who had the TANGZU Zetian WU to also get the F1 Pro. Except the Original WU has been discontinued. Still I think you will like the F1 Pro, they have really done well on this one. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #92,464 of 103,543
Congratulations! Awesome!
Thanks, man! I just overlooked it because of the photo and the link...
I ordered it, but it wasn't for $1...it was for an additional 13€.
The final price was 135€.
Still not bad. Discount was 45€

Cheers!

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #92,465 of 103,543
A/Bing sources for AüR Aurora and Neon Pro

Fiio M15S on high gain vs Venture Electronics RA2B-FE + Prime DAC

1000011459.jpg

This one is way overdue from my side since I rarely find time to listen to music anyway, so I usually tend to just let myself sail away instead of comparing endlessly.

There is lots to be learned by comparing, though, especially when trying to put it into words. Words that, at least for the most part, make sense and can be visualized.

But this was quite a revelation. With Aurora the battle was very one-sided. Same with NP. Is it the same source that won? Let's find out!

I first took the Aurora and I tried the following songs:

• Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox feat. Haley Reinhardt (🥰) - Creep
• Emeli Sandé - Summer
• Ben L'Oncle Soul - Witchcraft
• Tool - The Pot

In Creep what immediately stood out to me was the difference in stage perception which felt much larger on the Fiio especially in the left and right extremities. Haley's voice was more forward while the details seemed about the same on piano and brass. Stage also feels a bit more 3D-like on the Fiio. Venture Electronics presentation feels much drier in comparison and the stage is not as layered. I also felt like brass had a timbral advantage on the Fiio. Bass has more body on the Venture Electronics.

Summer has a rich atmospheric background which was much better on the Fiio, but once bass came in, the layering, depth and texture are more satisfying on Venture Electronics. Overall, I still preferred the way Fiio presented the song.

In Witchcraft bass' eagerness to attack seems about the same between the two, but the feeling of spaciousness is much better on Fiio. In ultimate detail retrieval these do not seem far apart. It comes down to your preference if you like a more dry, skinny and clear presentation or a slightly more musical/more potent one. Vocal has more body on the Fiio while still leaving lots of space for other instrumentation.

In Tool the differences become even more noticeable, because of required speed and agility without sounding too clinical or lacking meat. Fiio delivers again with all the necessary aggressiveness in the right spots.

1000011482.jpg

Aurora gels better with the M15S. All of the added coloration M15S adds when compared to the VE Stack is a welcome addition on Aurora and tastefully done.

Neon Pro's findings were much, much different. Here are the songs I used:

• Tool - The Pot
• Leprous - Castaway Angels
• Jesse Marchant - Stay On Your Knees
• Armin Van Buuren - God is in the Soundwaves
• 1200 Micrograms - Alien Alert

The tonal differences can only be described as extreme. Fiio seems to try to push everything forward. Very unapologetic and in your face. Bass feels boomier with worse attack and less control, mids seem forward with vocalists taking up plenty of room (either a pro or a con), treble is way sharper and more pronounced. Everything just seems less controlled.

VE Stack approaches things much differently and to my ears in a much more grown up fashion. Nothing seems out of place. Bass gets as close to a solid DD as you'd want while maintaining BA speed which in turn allows the first three mentioned songs to have an incredibly microdetailed low register - unlike anything I've heard before. Mids don't try nothing silly either. All the notes have crisp edges which can only be described as highly resolving. VE Stack also blows the M15S out of the water in all technical chops. Just how much information is packed into one's headspace while being so well discernable and layered is incredible.

1000011479.jpg

Something about the synergy of VE Stack and NP is so gorgeous. Only time that I'd recommend the M15S over VE Stack is in tunes such as Alien Alert and only when you're fully in party mode since M15S delivers more bass and treble but of lower quality. Soundstage width seemed bigger on Fiio too, but I'd hazard a guess it's just my mind playing tricks due to additional treble. Lower quality than on VE 'all-the-headroom-with-3W' Stack.

This has opened my eyes to the 'Synergy is king' world.

And to anyone who needs to hear it: swap sources first, only then cables. #sourcerolling

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #92,466 of 103,543
Got a hypothetical for the Discovery gang this AM.

If you could buy any set right now, the price being completely left out of the equation, what ONE set would you be buying?

I’ll start, Vision Ears VE10
IMG_6294.jpeg
EE Odin.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #92,467 of 103,543
Got a hypothetical for the Discovery gang this AM.

If you could buy any set right now, the price being completely left out of the equation, what ONE set would you be buying?

I’ll start, Vision Ears VE10
IMG_6294.jpeg

NGaudio Erebus - I had a set on loan for a few weeks and probably my favourite set I’ve heard.

IMG_8471.jpeg

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #92,470 of 103,543
NGaudio Erebus - I had a set on loan for a few weeks and probably my favourite set I’ve heard.

IMG_8471.jpeg
Mr Scuba, that's also a very pretty set! Probably looks even better in real life.

Off topic, but how do you feel about the Dita Project M now after a while?

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #92,471 of 103,543
A/Bing sources for AüR Aurora and Neon Pro

Fiio M15S on high gain vs Venture Electronics RA2B-FE + Prime DAC

1000011459.jpg

This one is way overdue from my side since I rarely find time to listen to music anyway, so I usually tend to just let myself sail away instead of comparing endlessly.

There is lots to be learned by comparing, though, especially when trying to put it into words. Words that, at least for the most part, make sense and can be visualized.

But this was quite a revelation. With Aurora the battle was very one-sided. Same with NP. Is it the same source that won? Let's find out!

I first took the Aurora and I tried the following songs:

• Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox feat. Haley Reinhardt (🥰) - Creep
• Emeli Sandé - Summer
• Ben L'Oncle Soul - Witchcraft
• Tool - The Pot

In Creep what immediately stood out to me was the difference in stage perception which felt much larger on the Fiio especially in the left and right extremities. Haley's voice was more forward while the details seemed about the same on piano and brass. Stage also feels a bit more 3D-like on the Fiio. Venture Electronics presentation feels much drier in comparison and the stage is not as layered. I also felt like brass had a timbral advantage on the Fiio. Bass has more body on the Venture Electronics.

Summer has a rich atmospheric background which was much better on the Fiio, but once bass came in, the layering, depth and texture are more satisfying on Venture Electronics. Overall, I still preferred the way Fiio presented the song.

In Witchcraft bass' eagerness to attack seems about the same between the two, but the feeling of spaciousness is much better on Fiio. In ultimate detail retrieval these do not seem far apart. It comes down to your preference if you like a more dry, skinny and clear presentation or a slightly more musical/more potent one. Vocal has more body on the Fiio while still leaving lots of space for other instrumentation.

In Tool the differences become even more noticeable, because of required speed and agility without sounding too clinical or lacking meat. Fiio delivers again with all the necessary aggressiveness in the right spots.

1000011482.jpg
Aurora gels better with the M15S. All of the added coloration M15S adds when compared to the VE Stack is a welcome addition on Aurora and tastefully done.

Neon Pro's findings were much, much different. Here are the songs I used:

• Tool - The Pot
• Leprous - Castaway Angels
• Jesse Marchant - Stay On Your Knees
• Armin Van Buuren - God is in the Soundwaves
• 1200 Micrograms - Alien Alert

The tonal differences can only be described as extreme. Fiio seems to try to push everything forward. Very unapologetic and in your face. Bass feels boomier with worse attack and less control, mids seem forward with vocalists taking up plenty of room (either a pro or a con), treble is way sharper and more pronounced. Everything just seems less controlled.

VE Stack approaches things much differently and to my ears in a much more grown up fashion. Nothing seems out of place. Bass gets as close to a solid DD as you'd want while maintaining BA speed which in turn allows the first three mentioned songs to have an incredibly microdetailed low register - unlike anything I've heard before. Mids don't try nothing silly either. All the notes have crisp edges which can only be described as highly resolving. VE Stack also blows the M15S out of the water in all technical chops. Just how much information is packed into one's headspace while being so well discernable and layered is incredible.

1000011479.jpg
Something about the synergy of VE Stack and NP is so gorgeous. Only time that I'd recommend the M15S over VE Stack is in tunes such as Alien Alert and only when you're fully in party mode since M15S delivers more bass and treble but of lower quality. Soundstage width seemed bigger on Fiio too, but I'd hazard a guess it's just my mind playing tricks due to additional treble. Lower quality than on VE 'all-the-headroom-with-3W' Stack.

This has opened my eyes to the 'Synergy is king' world.

And to anyone who needs to hear it: swap sources first, only then cables. #sourcerolling
Would be curious your results if you swapped in the megatron and compared the fiio. You may find them more similar…the megatron is more resolving than the prime dac where I find the prime dac to be very analogue and intimate like a good r2r dac. Where megatron is the Delta sigma equivalent.

Great comparison write up! I enjoyed it and agree with your all your data points on the VE stack.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #92,472 of 103,543
Mr Scuba, that's also a very pretty set! Probably looks even better in real life.

Off topic, but how do you feel about the Dita Project M now after a while?

I’ve been listening on and off over the last few days - will share some thoughts tomorrow but a very impressive set.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #92,473 of 103,543
I’ve been listening on and off over the last few days - will share some thoughts tomorrow but a very impressive set.
Been waiting for your impressions!

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #92,474 of 103,543
Kinera Plutus Beast.

This is an exotic setup, featuring 1 x bone conduction driver, 1 x BA and 1 square planar driver.

Platus 3.jpg
Platus 4.jpg

8 kHz is a coupler peak. Listening impressions soon.
Kinera Platus Beast.jpg
I'm thinking it's almost time to get "boned". But for my first foray into this "what's old is new again" technology, I want to keep the spending reasonable.

My current contender is the BGVP DMA, current pre-tax $284 USD
1704570150844.png
1704570343274.png

1704570387584.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back