The discovery thread!
Nov 18, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #89,086 of 106,832
*Haven’t had any experience with Rose Technics but the RT-5000 is quite a looker with solid specs. $477 on ali site.
IMG_6112.jpeg

*Not iem, will delete if not allowed

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #89,087 of 106,832
There is an option though.
Uninstall the offending app and install an older version via apk, then make sure that auto update is disabled for that app.
Should work well enough until the li-ion battery is toast.

Cheers
Not sure this would work. The music streamers keep updating their security/login requirements and the older versions of the apps -- or older Androids -- don't have the updates. So you can't even get to your account.

My old A&K AK70 stopped playing Tidal long ago and if you look at their website, they basically say, sorry, you're screwed, your $600 player just won't do what we promised any more and we're not going to work out a solution with Tidal.

https://theinvixion.com/blogs/news/update-on-issues-with-embedded-tidal-app-on-astell-kern-players

Which is why I'd never get another A&K -- once you've bought it, they're done with you.

Oh, 2021 update: If you have Tidal on your phone you can send it to the AK70 via Bluetooth -- wonky useless lossy workaround. You might as well just play Tidal from your phone.

https://www.astellnkern.com/aknews/akNews_detail.jsp?newsNo=12

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #89,088 of 106,832
Not sure this would work. The music streamers keep updating their security/login requirements and the older versions of the apps -- or older Androids -- don't have the updates. So you can't even get to your account.

My old A&K AK70 stopped playing Tidal long ago and if you look at their website, they basically say, sorry, you're screwed, your $600 player just won't do what we promised any more and we're not going to work out a solution with Tidal. Which is why I'd never get another A&K -- once you've bought it, they're done with you.
Granted this is not everyone's cup of tea, but I have done so for years. Even on an outdated Android device, I can run anything I set my mind to.
I agree though that the common practice to update Android only for the next two major versions (Samsung does that and others followed that 'idea') is downright wrong and is designed to rip off customers. Some customers are smart enough to say thanks, but no thanks after their first encounter with that practice.
The only way to get those companies attention is to sue their a$$ off.
And don't even get me going with my right to repair things.... sigh.

Cheers.

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #89,089 of 106,832
I really will have to buy OD200 soon - you have me absolutely intrigued!
Nice, I will like to know what you think about the switch's impact on sound. 🤣
I find it cleaner and transparent than EJ07M.
It's not bassy yet delivers deep and rumbly bass. Quantity isn't high but the quality is very good.
It's V shaped alright but as you said vocals have the right amount of emphasis and instruments are lively and sparkly.
Treble has to be the most engaging part here. Superb separation and individual note definition.
20231115_212643.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #89,091 of 106,832
Top 5 DAPS in terms of usage :

1 ) Sony NW-WM1A
2 ) Sony Walkman A306
3 ) Sony A17
4 ) iBasso DX170
5 ) Cowon J

Now I wouldn't say they are ranked in terms of sound quality, but preferred sound signature as preferred to my ears. I'll even spend time with the Fiio X3, A55, and Sansa Fuze, when the fancy strikes.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #89,092 of 106,832
Probably been done many times in this thread, but I’ll ask anyway 😜 What are people’s top choice single DDs up to say $300? Maybe even up to $200 & $300

For me I’d say BQEYZ Autumn up to $200, and Final A5000 up to $300 from my current collection.

OD200 might shake that up by the sounds of it!

Nov 19, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #89,093 of 106,832
Probably been done many times in this thread, but I’ll ask anyway 😜 What are people’s top choice single DDs up to say $300? Maybe even up to $200 & $300

For me I’d say BQEYZ Autumn up to $200, and Final A5000 up to $300 from my current collection.

For me Venture Electronics SiE, Simgot EA1000 and QDC Superior.

All provide different tunings and excellent sound and build quality.

But one within 200 then QDC Superior 🤔 even if it's closer to 100.

1000003184.png

1000016028.jpg

1000012570.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #89,094 of 106,832
Howdy folks!

My review of 7th Acoustic Supernova is online on head-fi and my blog. YouTube video is below.

So, should you buy supernova?

Let’s look from the other direction and ask why you SHOULDN’T add this IEM to your collection. If you want the midrange to be thin and clean, Supernova isn’t for you. If you want you IEM to have razor sharp instrument placement and separation, you might also want to avoid supernova. If you want your IEM to have exaggerated bass response, look else where. Finally, if you want your IEM to present music with substantial colouring, such as very thick lower midrange or spiky, sparkly treble, you wouldn’t find that presentation in Supernova.

If you preference does not fall into those cases, supernova is worth a listening. It is one of the few IEMs that make me say “what a beautiful tonality.”

Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 4

Bias Score: 4

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #89,095 of 106,832
IMG_8652.jpeg

Ordered straightaway after I demoed @Ace Bee unit couple of days back. These arrived today. Oriveti OD200. Amazing amazing iems. Any nitpicking in these iems is plain stupidity, so I shouldn’t/won’t be mentioning any such thing. On the default black module, it’s kickass. These are keepers, for sure.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #89,096 of 106,832

These are my go-to single DDs under $300:

1) DUNU Falcon Ultra - 2 tuning nozzles to furnish a Harmanish tone versus a bassy L-shaped one. Decent technicalities and quite warm and pleasant tone. Superbly accessorized.

2) Simgot EA1000 - well this is cheating a bit as it ain't a pure Single DD per se, there is an added Passive Radiator inside to add some bass heft. But it functions mostly as a single DD and is downright one of the most resolving sets under $300 for DD tech. 3 tuning nozzles to boot, but can be a bit bright in the lower treble/upper mids for treble sensitive folk.

3) Tanchjim Oxygen - the legend. Harmanish tuned with good melding of technicalities, timbre and tonality. A bit weird in fit though, due to short stubby nozzles.

4) Final Audio E5000 - extremely dark, smooth and warm IEM. Bullet-shaped. Very thick note weight and syrupy mids. However, one of the hardest IEMs to drive due to low sensitivity. Not a matter of volume, but poor dynamics and a one-noted bloated bass is heard if underpowered.

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #89,097 of 106,832

Around $200, Oriveti OD200 is the best, period. Nothing comes close to it.

Around $300, my choice is 634EARS Miroak-II. The stage is slightly smaller than OD200, but the notes have a slightly better body and definition, and the background is also a tad bit cleaner.

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #89,098 of 106,832

My 2 cents in that topic is look for 2-3 DD too. Knowing the tuning you are looking for. A tweeter driver bring more sparkle and technicalities while not going to metallic timbre territory (an exception would be Star River, lets ignore that zing monster).

Weirdly, my current favorite 2DDs are wireless (Soundpeats Engine4). Bass is satisfying (for wireless) + band EQ so I can juice the most of the hardware (Cant save genre specific profiles, though. The app needs improvement). Still, its being enjoyable times for a DD timbre lover.

Anyway, just wanted to add a perspective.

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #89,099 of 106,832
Around $200, Oriveti OD200 is the best, period. Nothing comes close to it.

Around $300, my choice is 634EARS Miroak-II. The stage is slightly smaller than OD200, but the notes have a slightly better body and definition, and the background is also a tad bit cleaner.
💯

I didn't mention Miroak-II as I thought it was to expensive, but for me is my favorite single DD I have listened. Just pure musical enjoyment.

The Japanese maker Musashi do such good work.

DSCF3457.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #89,100 of 106,832
These are my go-to single DDs under $300:

1) DUNU Falcon Ultra - 2 tuning nozzles to furnish a Harmanish tone versus a bassy L-shaped one. Decent technicalities and quite warm and pleasant tone. Superbly accessorized.

2) Simgot EA1000 - well this is cheating a bit as it ain't a pure Single DD per se, there is an added Passive Radiator inside to add some bass heft. But it functions mostly as a single DD and is downright one of the most resolving sets under $300 for DD tech. 3 tuning nozzles to boot, but can be a bit bright in the lower treble/upper mids for treble sensitive folk.

3) Tanchjim Oxygen - the legend. Harmanish tuned with good melding of technicalities, timbre and tonality. A bit weird in fit though, due to short stubby nozzles.

4) Final Audio E5000 - extremely dark, smooth and warm IEM. Bullet-shaped. Very thick note weight and syrupy mids. However, one of the hardest IEMs to drive due to low sensitivity. Not a matter of volume, but poor dynamics and a one-noted bloated bass is heard if underpowered.
And what about the bqeyz wind? I also want to buy a new dynamic iem up to 300-400 USD. I have a jvc Fw10000, fw01, fdx01, mirror HZ, blon 03.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back