The discovery thread!
Nov 17, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #89,087 of 101,621
Greetings everyone, could you please recommend the top IEMs currently available in the $500 price range? My tuning preference leans towards warm or warm-neutral sound, prioritizing a fun and musical experience over analytical precision. I'm looking for vivid, sparky treble that's not harsh or fatiguing, along with forward, thick vocals for both male and female voices. Additionally, I appreciate authoritative, fast, rumbly, and punchy bass, as well as a wide soundstage and good detail retrieval. I believe a W-shaped tuning would suit my preferences best. Thanks in advance!

Take a look at the Penon thread. The 4 DD iem that is coming soon might be in budget, and should be what you want.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #89,088 of 101,621
Hard to say, don't have the Legato anymore 🤔

Looking at measurments Legato has that extra sub bass extension.

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I was looking for a completely different IEM to my Tri Starsea and I think the Legato's are the most different and maybe the most musical, but I still need to see some more reviews to make a final choice. Thank you very much for your time.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #89,089 of 101,621
Greetings everyone, could you please recommend the top IEMs currently available in the $500 price range? My tuning preference leans towards warm or warm-neutral sound, prioritizing a fun and musical experience over analytical precision. I'm looking for vivid, sparky treble that's not harsh or fatiguing, along with forward, thick vocals for both male and female voices. Additionally, I appreciate authoritative, fast, rumbly, and punchy bass, as well as a wide soundstage and good detail retrieval. I believe a W-shaped tuning would suit my preferences best. Thanks in advance!
From the $500 IEMs I've listened to, the Penon 10th AE would be the one that fits your preference like the others mentioned. Treble is smooth and non-fatiguing, but I wouldn't describe it as sparkly.

The Timsok TS-316 is a new $500 IEM that may also fit the bill. I'm interested in getting one myself.

@twister6 has impressions and measurements on their site.
https://twister6.com/2023/10/30/canjam-socal-2023-impressions-from-musicteck-tables/2/

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #89,090 of 101,621
Revisitng some old gems!!

Today I felt like revisiting an old gem which was out of loop from my regular listening track for quite sometime. Just pulled out my Z1R, plugged it into the M15S, booted up Tidal, searched for Muse, and played the first track there was on their top tracks. Tonight's gonna be a long long night. I started a few hours ago and this is like 3:20AM in my country, i just can't put the setup down!!

Muse.jpg

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #89,092 of 101,621
Anyone able to compare the SoundRhyme SR5 to Juzear 41t?

Nov 17, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #89,093 of 101,621
SR5 is detailed neutral Bright and the 41t adds in more sub bass and balances that out.

Nov 17, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #89,094 of 101,621
Both are quite neutral.
SR5 is W-shaped, 41t is almost smooth, just a little emphasis on high-mids.
SR5 is warmer, with bigger midbass, 41t has deeper subbass.
SR5 has brighter treble, treble of 41t is more airy.
SR5 due to his treble seems more detailed, but 41t has slightly better resolution.
Shells of SR5 is bigger and can be out of ear.

Nov 17, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #89,096 of 101,621
Thank you for your valuable opinions. As the SiE is more balanced, I would also enjoy other genres such as pop more, but the greater amount of bass from the Legato makes me very curious. How far apart are they in terms of bass quantity?
Consider ISN D10. Beats the Legato IMHO which I returned.
Never heard the SIE though.
Cheers

Nov 17, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #89,097 of 101,621
Appreciate you've probably not spent too much time with the S15 yet, but what's your initial view on the $329 price tag?

Is it doing anything obvious to justify a 2-3x price increase over the S12 pro, M145 and even NiceHCK F1, all which graph similarly enough?

Obviously it's got a passive radiator but so does their DZ4 triple DD at $90...
Wise question. I will never justify the price of a product. Only the sensations they provoke in me. If you are patient, in a few weeks you will have the answer. You must keep in mind that I'm just a humble reviewer, my opinion is not canon, it's just that, the product of the sensations that the headphones provoke in me at a certain moment of my life. Is there anything more volatile than that? I'm sure there is.
Don't hold on to my opinion, get your own, it will always be more valuable.

Although I agree that both MP145 and the unknown F1s are great products.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #89,098 of 101,621

Maybe you can read about the BQEYZ Wind.

It is fun sounding with a big subwoofer like sub-bass from a BC tech inside. Great timbre and huge soundstage (needs amplification though due to highish impedance).

Nov 17, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #89,099 of 101,621
I have been spending a few days with the Oriveti OH700VB now. Again, they are 1DD/6BA IEMs with a bass switch located on the bottom end of the faceplates, meaning you can play and experiment sound changes while listening to your music.

These IEMs and their driver structure are not revolutionary, but Oriveti took their time, coming up with a ever growing new line-up. After the release of the OD200 (single DD), which start getting pretty good reception, to say the least, among the community, the OH700VB are another effort from Oriveti to confirm their knowledge about their tuning competencies and understanding on how technical abilities can meet musicality.

The OH700VB with a bespoke 28awg gold plated pure silver cable from Clan Audio
IMG_6014.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #89,100 of 101,621
I have been spending a few days with the Oriveti OH700VB now. Again, they are 1DD/6BA IEMs with a bass switch located on the bottom end of the faceplates, meaning you can play and experiment sound changes while listening to your music.

These IEMs and their driver structure are not revolutionary, but Oriveti took their time, coming up with a ever growing new line-up. After the release of the OD200 (single DD), which start getting pretty good reception, to say the least, among the community, the OH700VB are another effort from Oriveti to confirm their knowledge about their tuning competencies and understanding on how technical abilities meet musicality.

The OH700VB with a bespoke 28awg gold plated pure silver cable from Clan Audio
IMG_6014.jpeg
Way out of my price range but after the OD200 would be very interested in hearing these plus they look gorgeous!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back