The discovery thread!
Aug 31, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #85,801 of 100,413
I would like to see your research first.

I would like to learn something today, if you don't mind sir

https://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-we-hear.html

dude. how can you be "into" audio and not know of the huge amount of work done by Dr Sean Olive and Dr Floyd Toole?! that's like being "into cars" and not know the basic principles of combustion engines

yes, that research was done on speakers. which has no bearing on what you so erroneously said.

the big problem is that there's pretty much no research done on IEMs [Harman's is nowhere near in the same realm of effort as what they did even for headphones, let alone speakers] so it's tough (i.e. impossible) to do any meaningful objective assertions in this domain. but to insinuate that because of lack of research "everything is subjective" is simply preposterous and wrong

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #85,802 of 100,413
dude. how can you be "into" audio and not know of the huge amount of work done by Dr Sean Olive and Dr Floyd Toole?! that's like being "into cars" and not know the basic principles of combustion engines

yes, that research was done on speakers. which has no bearing on what you so erroneously said.

the big problem is that there's pretty much no research done on IEMs [Harman's is nowhere near in the same realm of effort as what they did even for headphones, let alone speakers] so it's tough (i.e. impossible) to do any meaningful objective assertions in this domain. but to insinuate that because of lack of research "everything is subjective" is simply preposterous and wrong
Welcome to my ignore list, I feel you ego is gonna fill it up 😂😂😂

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #85,803 of 100,413

HRTF, Equal-loudness contour, Hearing health/Age. And those are just from the person side.

Considering this and who knows the absolute BARRAGE of many hundreds of parameters from the equipment are very often discussed here. Can't help but point out how needlessly pedantic this sounds. As the who knows how many times I see someone attempt to undermine someone's knowledge based on what could be... A perfectly honest mistake.

I'm only 32 years old. But it seems to be already taking a toll on me seeing this pattern repeat endlessly.

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #85,804 of 100,413
HBB put the Hype2 ahead because it's better, that's all. They are both similar in ways, but the Hype2 is more natural.......to sum it up. :)
So the Quintet hype is over? LOL Beaten by the Hype 2? NEXT!

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #85,805 of 100,413
Entonces, ¿se acabó el revuelo por el Quinteto? LOL ¿Vencido por el Hype 2? ¡PRÓXIMO!
No para mí. El quinteto es más técnico.
El hype 2 es algo más musical. más adictivo
¿Cuál me suena más real?
Quinteto.

Sinceramente son bastante parecidos y por 100€ menos el Hype2 no tiene sentido.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #85,808 of 100,413
Aug 31, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #85,809 of 100,413
So the Quintet hype is over? LOL Beaten by the Hype 2? NEXT!

Are they too similar to each other to get both?
The two IEMs, the Hype2 and Quintet are wildly different. I’m still reviewing the Hype2 and there will be a written comparison between the two in it. Short answer is yes, these two are almost complementary in that they are so different. The isobaric 10mm woofers in the Hype2 do a number to create a different style of bass than what the Quintet single DD does. Also the added styles of drivers in the Quintet gives it a more sculpted treble. There will most likely be people which prefer the Quintet, but the “one-ness” of the Hype2 offers an additional dimension of value. Just the fact that Thieaudio has tailored the Sonion (Hype2) BAs to seamlessly and smoothly join forces is a value here. Where I ask (while listening) if I need more treble interaction, and so far I’m fine with what the Hype2 does. Yet as we all know the treble details is what often separates the big dogs from the middle-Fi. Where the Quintet does offer that treble detail that is rare or never found in the under $250 price range. The Quintet will also still be one of the IEMs that 2023 will be remembered for, it’s just Thieaudio added another different one.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #85,810 of 100,413
Back in hospital again after picking up post-op infection. Decided against taking anything expensive and listening to a pair of KZ ZS10PRO X off Hiby R2. Way better than a few years ago when all I had to use was an old AM radio. :triportsad:

Also funny seeing people plugging the Magaosi V3, as that was the other option!:L3000:

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #85,811 of 100,413
How fast do Sonion ESTs discharge? Do they discharge over playtime or just time? There are so many good tribrids like Variations, Penon 10th, DTE900 and many more.
Baskingshark said maybe thousands of hours before total depletion but at that point you'll probably run into driver failure due to heavy wear and tear from use.

I don't think most people will care about this potential caveat unless they only daily drive a single tribrid IEM which let's face it, is unlikely as many people who own an EST IEM have other gear on hand.

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #85,812 of 100,413
Back in hospital again after picking up post-op infection. Decided against taking anything expensive and listening to a pair of KZ ZS10PRO X off Hiby R2. Way better than a few years ago when all I had to use was an old AM radio. :triportsad:

Also funny seeing people plugging the Magaosi V3, as that was the other option!:L3000:
Hope you get well soon. Sitting here late listening to DTE900 :beyersmile:
Modest setup of yours but its nice to have something your not afraid of when being at hospital, and music can be appreciated at all price points.

Some music to enjoy, no idea what you like. So as a all genre lover, some different stuff :D

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #85,813 of 100,413
The two IEMs, the Hype2 and Quintet are wildly different. I’m still reviewing the Hype2 and there will be a written comparison between the two in it. Short answer is yes, these two are almost complementary in that they are so different. The isobaric 10mm woofers in the Hype2 do a number to create a different style of bass than what the Quintet single DD does. Also the added styles of drivers in the Quintet gives it a more sculpted treble. There will most likely be people which prefer the Quintet, but the “one-ness” of the Hype2 offers an additional dimension of value. Just the fact that Thieaudio has tailored the Sonion (Hype2) BAs to seamlessly and smoothly join forces is a value here. Where I ask (while listening) if I need more treble interaction, and so far I’m fine with what the Hype2 does. Yet as we all know the treble details is what often separates the big dogs from the middle-Fi. Where the Quintet does offer that treble detail that is rare or never found in the under $250 price range. The Quintet will also still be one of the IEMs that 2023 will be remembered for, it’s just Thieaudio added another different one.
Hype2 (I was half sleeping when typing. Hype2, NOT Quintet. I have never listened to Quintet) is like Monarch II with better bass quality but worse detail retrieval. Very versatile and does not impose much if any colouring on the mid. If one finds Monarch II to be beautifully tuned, Hype2 is a bargain. If the Monarch II is boring like watching paint dry to you, this wouldn’t change.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #85,814 of 100,413
Hope you get well soon. Sitting here late listening to DTE900 :beyersmile:
Modest setup of yours but its nice to have something your not afraid of when being at hospital, and music can be appreciated at all price points.

Some music to enjoy, no idea what you like. So as a all genre lover, some different stuff :D

Saving this list for tomorrow

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #85,815 of 100,413
How fast do Sonion ESTs discharge? Do they discharge over playtime or just time? There are so many good tribrids like Variations, Penon 10th, DTE900 and many more.

Unfortunately I can no longer find the web page I had read about it.

Anyway I'll link you to some pages I've found now and that's the thing.

In essence, the fact is that these EST drivers for IEMs are not like those classic electrostatic drivers where there is a special power supply that generates a fixed electric field;
in the IEM there is no external power supply which maintains a fixed electric field within which the membrane 'stirred' by the audio signal moves.

The EST IEM drivers we are talking about are pre-energized at the source, and this energization decays over time.

I can't tell you how long, maybe years.

I believe the phenomenon also occurs when IEM is not used, and probably accelerates with use.

Probably @baskingshark has better info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/qtso15/q_re_electrostatic_iems/

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...here_deterioration_over_time_of_iem_electret/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thieaudio-legacy-9.927889/page-44

https://www.sonion.com/wp-content/uploads/ds-EST65DA01_v2.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back