The discovery thread!
Aug 21, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #85,261 of 103,003
What you've said is only true if you assume that your impressions and opinions are objective fact and the undeniable truth. But as with anyone in this thread would agree, nobody can claim that (and I myself have paragraphs on paragraphs of disclaimers on my pages as a result).

We disagree, and that's where I stand on this. However, YOU take this further and accuse me of being misleading, unreliable, whatever you want to say, as if my disagreement with you is wrong because only you hold the truth and facts on what is "better" and what is "worse".

Your tastes and opinions don't represent everybody, no matter how many breakdowns and columns you add into your spreadsheet. You are not God.

Good morning Crin.
Would you like to explain some IEM classifications that seem unusual to me?

For example in your ranking the B2 have rank A, as well as the U12T.

How is it possible that two products that occupy such different market segments are comparable?

Or am I just misunderstanding the classification?

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #85,262 of 103,003
Neither is it the goal for my taste or opinion to assign my rankings, but ultimately I acknowledge that there will always be a level of personal bias that affects them all. No matter how carefully one tries to "remove" it.

At the end of the day, claiming that your list is somehow better than mine is indeed the arrogance that "your bias" is better than "my bias", if you prefer the wording that way.
All IEMs, regardless of their rating by one reviewer or another, be it A rated, S, D, or any other system, and if they have good tonality, subjectively bad tonality, amazing technical chops or not, are ded if they cost under 3000 USD. Straight ded.

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #85,263 of 103,003
Neither is it the goal for my taste or opinion to assign my rankings, but ultimately I acknowledge that there will always be a level of personal bias that affects them all. No matter how carefully one tries to "remove" it.

At the end of the day, claiming that your list is somehow better than mine is indeed the arrogance that "your bias" is better than "my bias", if you prefer the wording that way.
So, because “my bias”, suddenly the Chu is less resolving, has smaller stage, less dynamic, than the Fourte, whilst if I am “unbiased”, they would sound the same on each and every single separate aspect in A/B?

I would love to learn that un-biased perception. It would save me a few grand, since I have a Chu right here.

Regretful that our first conversation ever turned out this way. I’ve always looked up to you as a reviewer.

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #85,264 of 103,003
So, because “my bias”, suddenly the Chu is less resolving, has smaller stage, less dynamic, than the Fourte, whilst if I am “unbiased”, they would sound the same on each and every single separate aspect in A/B?

I would love to learn that un-biased perception. It would save me a few grand, since I have a Chu right here.

Regretful that our first conversation ever turned out this way. I’ve always looked up to you as a reviewer.

Who said there was ever a such thing as a truly "unbiased" opinion? You came into this thread claiming to be unbiased and true in this subjective hobby, and then act offended when I say that nobody can represent everybody because everyone has their own biases.

Yeah, when your first conversation with me is accusing me of very serious things while claiming that you yourself hold superior "opinions", clearly I'm not going to be a nice guy about it.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #85,265 of 103,003
Both Andromeda and Chu are terrible earphones please don’t fight.

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #85,266 of 103,003
What you've said is only true if you assume that your impressions and opinions are objective fact and the undeniable truth. But as with anyone in this thread would agree, nobody can claim that (and I myself have paragraphs on paragraphs of disclaimers on my pages as a result).

We disagree, and that's where I stand on this. However, YOU take this further and accuse me of being misleading, unreliable, whatever you want to say, as if my disagreement with you is wrong because only you hold the truth and facts on what is "better" and what is "worse".

Your tastes and opinions don't represent everybody, no matter how many breakdowns and columns you add into your spreadsheet. You are not God.
Hello Crin, I've been meaning to ask you a question. If we consider that distortion, phase response, and frequency response are all identical, what is the specific technical performance that you place significant importance on when judging your iems.

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #85,267 of 103,003
Them's fighting words! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Chu II are very nice for the price though and I will die on that hill.

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #85,268 of 103,003
It’s not taste or opinion that assigns my ratings. It’s how an IEM does, side by side, against some benchmarks, in careful A/B, decides where it fits. And it’s not an sweeping test, but aspect by aspect. I carefully try to remove my “taste” and my “opinion” from the technical performance rating, and I actively recommend readers to disregard my assessment of tonality. So, no, it’s not the difference between “my taste” and “your taste”, and the arrogance that “my taste” is better than “your taste”, as you accuse.

You are significant in this hobby. Your ranking list is significant. Therefore, it would subject to scrutiny. And I pointed out questionable points. There were not so many contentious points in the past.
Unfortunately for us readers, technical performance is susceptible to a mere eartip choice (a potential explanation for differing tech scores between reviewers). In another occasion, I recall Precog using 3rd party tips/cables to augment IEMs he ranked favorably, while not doing so for other IEM reviews he seemed to rush through. While I don't doubt his honesty, I'm also hesitant about whether some IEMs had an advantage.

I agree with @MudEnjoyer that the main concern is too little known info is provided for us. For example, when I click on an IEM on Crin's list, I expected to be directed to Crin's review (for example, to understand why a mid-tier might tie with a top-tier IEM). It seems the current issue I face is that they all redirect to a graph instead of a review so I cannot attempt to figure out the rankings by myself, which means crin needs to explain it in the forums, on twitter, etc.

@crinacle do you think this is something that has need to be addressed in the future?

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #85,269 of 103,003
A discovery that I for sure am not going to pursue:

1692610814838.png

Spirit Torino Twin Pulse

Dual Beryllium (plated, as far as I can interpret from their description) Driver in isobaric formation. My biggest peeve is the faceplate, which completely disturbs the continuity of the design. It looked quite fine, an industrial sort of design, up till that, and then it feels that suddenly Spirit Torino remembered that they had a signature design element that they forgot to implement, and in haste just slapped on that faceplate that aesthetically does not come within miles of the rest of the design.

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #85,271 of 103,003
Thats biased! (joking here)

1692610814838.png

Spirit Torino Twin Pulse

Dual Beryllium (plated, as far as I can interpret from their description) Driver in isobaric formation. My biggest peeve is the faceplate, which completely disturbs the continuity of the design. It looked quite fine, an industrial sort of design, up till that, and then it feels that suddenly Spirit Torino remembered that they had a signature design element that they forgot to implement, and in haste just slapped on that faceplate that aesthetically does not come within miles of the rest of the design.
The weird design is why I got one haha

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #85,272 of 103,003

Spirit Torino Twin Pulse

Yeah, those and the headphones were disappointing.

I really wanted to like their stuff, especially given that there are precious few European manufacturers making their own gear in-house nowadays.

The iems were not comfortable for me at all with the chunky metal faceplate not helping, magnified with the Valkyria headphones that just were unwieldy and heavy.

Thought the planars sounded pretty decent, pricing none withstanding (edit: I guess the Centauri pricing is less egregious considering construction etc. but the twin pulse and Valkyria are definitely in the wrong price bracket)

When Austrian Audio is making their own headphones within Austria for £300 region the Spirit prices were pretty eye-watering.

20230819_131818.jpg

Attachments

• 20230819_131818.jpg
    20230819_131818.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #85,273 of 103,003
Aug 21, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #85,274 of 103,003

1692610814838.png

Spirit Torino Twin Pulse

Those faceplates look like they're designed to spin and trim any excess hair sticking out of your ears!:fearful:

Aug 21, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #85,275 of 103,003
You were the one vsg28 mentioned?
Yes! I have them with me right now actually.

I enjoyed their sound a lot because it reminds me of some of my favourite tonalitys ive found in earbuds. They were dark, but still enjoyable to me! I got then to fit very well, and it stayed in my ears so I hope to use them more when I get back home.

Definitely not something people after the best are for. They have slightly low resolution, and the general tonality is quite different from what youd see. Pretty sure if i measured them it won't be smooth but I love their design coming from abstract art and unique sounds. Im never after the best, im after what I personally like.

VSG may slightly have judged me though when he saw me buy them haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back