The discovery thread!
Aug 21, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #85,276 of 106,705
A discovery that I for sure am not going to pursue:

1692610814838.png

Spirit Torino Twin Pulse

Dual Beryllium (plated, as far as I can interpret from their description) Driver in isobaric formation. My biggest peeve is the faceplate, which completely disturbs the continuity of the design. It looked quite fine, an industrial sort of design, up till that, and then it feels that suddenly Spirit Torino remembered that they had a signature design element that they forgot to implement, and in haste just slapped on that faceplate that aesthetically does not come within miles of the rest of the design.

I like them ... moreover, the company is 50km from my house .. but with that price there is little room to 'play', unfortunately.

Aug 21, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #85,277 of 106,705
First impressions, not burned, but this iem is at least, astonishing

Have to say I received with a fan discount, but anyways, for the retail price (299€) I could compare them to more pricey options like MANGIRD TOP.

MVIMG_20230821_120918-01.jpeg

KOVABUNGA
FEBOS (HISENIOR) OKAVANGO

✅ Suitable for low volume
✅ Bass is delicious, treble is on point
✅ TOTL build quality
✅ Switches are really useful
✅ Deep scene with a nice sense of height…

🟡 …although its on intimate side
🟡 Packaging is beautiful, but complements are not at same level

⭕ With some tips, driver flex could be an issue

🔈 Driver Setup. 1DD 9.5mm Dual Magnet BioCellurar – 4 Sonion BA - 2 Knowles Ba – 4Way Crossover

@gadgetgod

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #85,279 of 106,705
Unfortunately for us readers, technical performance is susceptible to a mere eartip choice (a potential explanation for differing tech scores between reviewers). In another occasion, I recall Precog using 3rd party tips/cables to augment IEMs he ranked favorably, while not doing so for other IEM reviews he seemed to rush through. While I don't doubt his honesty, I'm also hesitant about whether some IEMs had an advantage.

I agree with @MudEnjoyer that the main concern is too little known info is provided for us. For example, when I click on an IEM on Crin's list, I expected to be directed to Crin's review (for example, to understand why a mid-tier might tie with a top-tier IEM). It seems the current issue I face is that they all redirect to a graph instead of a review so I cannot attempt to figure out the rankings by myself, which means crin needs to explain it in the forums, on twitter, etc.

@crinacle do you think this is something that has need to be addressed in the future?
I think it is time to move on from those FR graphs showing only the macro properties of IEMs. It is that these graphs containing not enough information yet being regarded as objective measurements which keep misleading many readers and the reviwers themselves out there. It is important for any significant reviewers to understand FR graphs are not the holy grail and they should convey this message to their readers.

Aug 21, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #85,280 of 106,705
If you're serious, you make me happy.
Compared to the TOP (memory, I don't have at work right now)

- Bass is more concentrated, fastest, and more textured on the KOVABUNGA (Okavango). The TOP gor a little bit more impact, but decay is on loosy side.
- Mids, and voices with both switches on, are a little bit recessed. But can be adjusted easily turning off the bass.
- I prefer relaxed highs, so OKAVANGO suits my better. But they are closed on this part.

Maybe for technicalities, but just a marginally point, TOP got more details, but I prefer the scene on the OKAVANGO

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #85,281 of 106,705
Some surprises on the mail today.

So much time since I've been so exited to test an iem (last one was the MARGARITA)

FEBOS (Hisenior) OKAVANGO and 5P ultra (a SR5 side-grade)

MVIMG_20230820_210426-01.jpeg
Nice!

Aug 21, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #85,282 of 106,705
100% true.

The only things you can get from this list is:

- Crin got 100% more picky.
- Crin still hates mid bass.
- Max Viento-B shill.
- Rip u12t and SA6 owners.
Hahahaha. Top post of the month.

Remember, that list is a personal one, so just forgot it. Its not a reference for me long time ago. Clearly he doesn't listen/like the same music than me.

And "off-topic" my ublock colapse when enter on that spam-webpage he has.

Thats why we should care more about pages like https://squig.link/ made for the community over other more "personal" pages.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #85,283 of 106,705
Has anyone else heard these? i would love to hear other impressions as well,
From what he's saying I would really love these and what's more? I can just about afford them!
It seems that they might be somewhat similar to the VE SIE
Personally I love the fun tuned iems, I just want to enjoy the music 😉

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #85,284 of 106,705
What you've said is only true if you assume that your impressions and opinions are objective fact and the undeniable truth. But as with anyone in this thread would agree, nobody can claim that (and I myself have paragraphs on paragraphs of disclaimers on my pages as a result).

We disagree, and that's where I stand on this. However, YOU take this further and accuse me of being misleading, unreliable, whatever you want to say, as if my disagreement with you is wrong because only you hold the truth and facts on what is "better" and what is "worse".

Your tastes and opinions don't represent everybody, no matter how many breakdowns and columns you add into your spreadsheet. You are not God.
You are exactly right about the undeniable truth. I used to take your reviews the wrong way. But you never meant them to be the "Gospels". And you have been clear about preferences. I have not seen you review as many iems lately. Any particular reason?

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #85,285 of 106,705
20230821_165152.jpg
20230821_173139.jpg

Give credit where credit's due...

Suprisingly, this is quite a good sounding set. Probably this is one of the best dual DD set-up out there. To think that I have some reservation on dual-DD set-up sets but this one has a remarkable tuning like this has an almost "neutral" sounding of all CCA and even KZ. Quite tip dependent though as stock eartips (the silicone ones) tends to have a tad shrilly and instances of sibilance. Find a better tips that simulates the sonic performance of stock memory foam ear tips. Im using the Sancai (balanced) ear tips as it has the closest sound quality with the stock foam ear tips mode.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #85,286 of 106,705
Not sure who they're hunting when a large portion of the community has essentially boycotted the brand due to recent PR disasters.
The community is such a small percentage of their audience though, it's kinda laughably cute to think the boycott will actually do anything

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #85,287 of 106,705
First impressions, not burned, but im impressed with this iem

Have to say I received with a fan discount, but anyways, for the retail price (299€) I could compare them to more pricey options like MANGIRD TOP.

MVIMG_20230821_120918-01.jpeg
KOVABUNGA
FEBOS (HISENIOR) OKAVANGO

✅ Suitable for low volume
✅ Bass is delicious, treble is on point
✅ TOTL build quality
✅ Switches are really useful
✅ Deep scene with a nice sense of height…

🟡 …although its on intimate side
🟡 Packaging is beautiful, but complements are not at same level

⭕ With some tips, driver flex could be an issue

🔈 Driver Setup. 1DD 9.5mm Dual Magnet BioCellurar – 4 Sonion BA - 2 Knowles Ba – 4Way Crossover

@gadgetgod
Thanks man, this one surely looks interesting.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #85,288 of 106,705
Has anyone else heard these? i would love to hear other impressions as well,
From what he's saying I would really love these and what's more? I can just about afford them!
It seems that they might be somewhat similar to the VE SIE
Personally I love the fun tuned iems, I just want to enjoy the music 😉

I have a pair on the way!:L3000:

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #85,289 of 106,705
What kind of process to create such misleading and unreliable ranking list?
In your opinion. Not agreeing with his list shouldn't mean you actively talk down on it and try to invalidate his opinion. When I gave you feedback about your list that you took to heart, how would you have felt if I had just said "your list is incoherent, inconsistent with the new sets you've added to it, and you're misleading people by saying Blessing3 is a 4/5 and that's making every set be a 4/5 and that's not realistic?" Probably would've hurt your feelings and you would've been more resistant to taking my feedback with good intent, right?

Treat others how you'd want to be treated, bro!

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #85,290 of 106,705
In your opinion. Not agreeing with his list shouldn't mean you actively talk down on it and try to invalidate his opinion. When I gave you feedback about your list that you took to heart, how would you have felt if I had just said "your list is incoherent, inconsistent with the new sets you've added to it, and you're misleading people by saying Blessing3 is a 4/5 and that's making every set be a 4/5 and that's not realistic?" Probably would've hurt your feelings and you would've been more resistant to taking my feedback with good intent, right?

Treat others how you'd want to be treated, bro!

Note taken. Should have kept a more level head. I’ll try better next time.

Edit: to be fair, I did receive that sort of feedback like you mentioned, and re-do the whole list to implement the advice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back