The discovery thread!
Jul 11, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #82,891 of 102,990
Just received the DUNU Falcon Ultra. Graph via IEC711 coupler, 8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.
DUNU Falcon Ultra.jpg

It utilizes a unique 10.7mm Lithium-Magnesium alloy dome DD, with two tuning nozzles. Also comes with a modular cable for 3.5mm or 4.4mm termination.

351167962_974391660383951_2269900680494818434_n.jpg

So the two tuning nozzles do change the sound signature - and they ain't gimmicks unlike some other "tunable" IEMs that have minimal changes. Comfort and ergonomics are impeccable too.

So far, i've have spent the past few hours with the blue nozzle installed. This furnishes a really nice Harmanish tonality, extremely well balanced and suited for most music genres. Timbre is very organic in keeping with its single DD roots.

Some single DDs veer too much to being "musical", sounding analoguish with sub-par technical chops, whereas, some go to the other extreme of being too technical and sterile/artificial sounding. The Falcon Ultra is a technical yet musical single DD, melding these 2 elements adeptly. In fact, the Falcon Ultra has pinpoint imaging, decent soundstage and great micro-details for a midFI single DD. Instrument separation and layering is well done, music is very spacious, and transients are quick. And the Falcon Ultra manages this without artificially boosting the treble, which is what some CHIFI do to game the system and add "fake resolution".

At this price bracket, my benchmark for the past 3 years for midFI single DDs is the venerable Tanchjim Oxygen. The Oxygen has been dethroned, with the Falcon Ultra beating the Oxygen in technicalities, in addition to providing better fit, and greater versatility (2 tuning nozzles).

Will do further A/B tests and burn in and report back, but initial impressions are that the Falcon Ultra is a special midFI single DD.
This is quite a surprise that Oxy was finally dethroned.

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #82,892 of 102,990
Just received the DUNU Falcon Ultra. Graph via IEC711 coupler, 8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.
DUNU Falcon Ultra.jpg

It utilizes a unique 10.7mm Lithium-Magnesium alloy dome DD, with two tuning nozzles. Also comes with a modular cable for 3.5mm or 4.4mm termination.

So the two tuning nozzles do change the sound signature - and they ain't gimmicks unlike some other "tunable" IEMs that have minimal changes. Comfort and ergonomics are impeccable too.

So far, i've have spent the past few hours with the blue nozzle installed. This furnishes a really nice Harmanish tonality, extremely well balanced and suited for most music genres. Timbre is very organic in keeping with its single DD roots.

Some single DDs veer too much to being "musical", sounding analoguish with sub-par technical chops, whereas, some go to the other extreme of being too technical and sterile/artificial sounding. The Falcon Ultra is a technical yet musical single DD, melding these 2 elements adeptly. In fact, the Falcon Ultra has pinpoint imaging, decent soundstage and great micro-details for a midFI single DD. Instrument separation and layering is well done, music is very spacious, and transients are quick. And the Falcon Ultra manages this without artificially boosting the treble, which is what some CHIFI do to game the system and add "fake resolution".

At this price bracket, my benchmark for the past 3 years for midFI single DDs is the venerable Tanchjim Oxygen. The Oxygen has been dethroned, with the Falcon Ultra beating the Oxygen in technicalities, in addition to providing better fit, and greater versatility (2 tuning nozzles).

Will do further A/B tests and burn in and report back, but initial impressions are that the Falcon Ultra is a special midFI single DD.

The only Falcon series that I've tested so far was the older one, Falcon-C.

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #82,893 of 102,990
DUNU Falcon Ultra.jpg

Great post and great news. Had been keeping my eye on this one, can't wait to see the detailed write up. Dunu is killing it.

Jul 11, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #82,894 of 102,990
Fit is quite personal due to individual different ear anatomies, so it is quite YMMV. But this IEM is like one of those Shure bean shape shells, so I find the comfort quite good.

For the 5 kHz, that emphasis gives good resolution and clarity. Most people aren't sensitive to this area, but more at the 1 - 3 kHz band. So personally I think this area is quite well-dosed (and I consider myself treble sensitive). Quite a few IEMs actually boost the 4/5 kHz band, so this is not uncommon. FWIW, first impressions are that the Kailua is quite excellent in technical chops, it can keep pace with even faster/complex tracks. Will do some more testing and report back!
Wikipedia:”The human auditory system is most sensitive to frequencies between 2,000 and 5,000 Hz”
From +6dB at 2,000Hz to +10.5dB at 4,600Hz then we going down again - 9 dB at 5,800Hz it doesn't look good let's be honest.
Fit is quite personal due to individual different ear anatomies, so it is quite YMMV. But this IEM is like one of those Shure bean shape shells, so I find the comfort quite good.

For the 5 kHz, that emphasis gives good resolution and clarity. Most people aren't sensitive to this area, but more at the 1 - 3 kHz band. So personally I think this area is quite well-dosed (and I consider myself treble sensitive). Quite a few IEMs actually boost the 4/5 kHz band, so this is not uncommon. FWIW, first impressions are that the Kailua is quite excellent in technical chops, it can keep pace with even faster/complex tracks. Will do some more testing and report back!
Wikipedia:”The human auditory system is most sensitive to frequencies between 2,000 and 5,000 Hz.”
+10.5dB at 4,600 Hz then drop by -9dB and we are at

Wikipedia:”The human auditory system is most sensitive to frequencies between 2,000 and 5,000 Hz”
From +6dB at 2,000Hz to +10.5dB at 4,600Hz then we going down again - 9 dB at 5,800Hz
This will be lot of resolution and clarity Kailua must be true „excellent in technical chops” a masterpiece!

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #82,895 of 102,990
Moondrop Starfield 2 incoming:

359259076_583539987274877_5107931676802212411_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/.../pfbid0TimPq4Dt27cPwqU9GSDQ6s...

Seems like Moondrop is trying to rehash sequels of crowd-favourites like here and in the CHU 2. Hope this turns out good.

From +6dB at 2,000Hz to +10.5dB at 4,600Hz then we going down again - 9 dB at 5,800Hz it doesn't look good let's be honest.

Wikipedia:”The human auditory system is most sensitive to frequencies between 2,000 and 5,000 Hz.”
+10.5dB at 4,600 Hz then drop by -9dB and we are at

From +6dB at 2,000Hz to +10.5dB at 4,600Hz then we going down again - 9 dB at 5,800Hz
This will be lot of resolution and clarity Kailua must be true „excellent in technical chops” a masterpiece!

Measurements above the 8 kHz coupler peak in a IEC711 coupler are not accurate.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #82,897 of 102,990
no creativity in marketing these days, it seems everything is 2 - Electric Boogaloo

People love sequels and remakes. That combo of nostalgia + NEW is a helluva drug.

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #82,898 of 102,990
Do you experience any driver flex with the RE800 ?
Umm...not with the Xelastec tips I use, but I've had them on for a long time now, so tbh, if I did, I don't remember?

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #82,899 of 102,990
The reason I'm asking about the sr 5 so much is to avoid a second audiosense t 800 error. Sometimes I don't even want to listen. i have a plan for sr 7 this week but sr 5 is getting too much praise. If I repeat the t 800 error, I cannot return the sr 7. there is a $150 difference, sr 5 seems like a safe way. I like models that don't have recessed mid frequencies and are slightly fun, of course the resolution has to be good too.
Here's the thing. The SR5 has excellent mids, punchy bass that's also very articulate and fast, BUT the highs lack air and extension. Does that affect the resolution? Maybe a little, but I don't think too much, because the mids come to the rescue, but the treble is blunted, and they are BIG. If you got small ears, you will not find them comfortable. The shells are LARGE, which is why I got them at a discount. The previous owner didn't find them comfortable, and neither did I, and I got huge ears!

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #82,900 of 102,990
And thanks for the beautiful measurement on squiglink! That’s awesome💎💎

Yea the added energy in treble of SR5 is a talented coloration of them👍
I'm sorry. but there is no energy in the highs. I really don't know what you and DeafMonk are talking about? I usually hear in his ballpark, and you were the one who told me the treble was inoffensive, and indeed it is. There is no energy in the Sr5's treble. At all. It's their weakness. Not much air, and the extension is very blunted. It's there. It's present, but it's brief. Much like the IE200.

Jul 11, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #82,901 of 102,990
Wondering if this is a "rebadged" GK100...

-1088372542-529650134.jpg
If it is, will it be cheaper? That would be cool. -*******************************

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #82,902 of 102,990
DUNU Falcon Ultra.jpg

Very interesting mate!! Hmmm shall wait for your full review!

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #82,903 of 102,990
I'm sorry. but there is no energy in the highs. I really don't know what you and DeafMonk are talking about? I usually hear in his ballpark, and you were the one who told me the treble was inoffensive, and indeed it is. There is no energy in the Sr5's treble. At all. It's their weakness. Not much air, and the extension is very blunted. It's there. It's present, but it's brief. Much like the IE200.
I was A/B the Mega5P and SR5 tonight compared to the Mega5P the SR5 sounds bright. Yes not the most extended air but the highs on the SR5 are one of my favorite things about them.

Attachments

• 20230711_153654.jpg
    20230711_153654.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 12, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #82,904 of 102,990
Jul 12, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #82,905 of 102,990

I was A/B the Mega5P and SR5 tonight compared to the Mega5P the SR5 sounds bright. Yes not the most extended air but the highs on the SR5 are one of my favorite things about them.

The treble "energy" are lies on 5-6khz aka lower treble. Its where we can hear splash, hi hats, cymbals, busy trebles are there

I don't have SR5 but from The SR5 FR, seems like they have big valley but not overdone until ehatbi always called "valley of trap" (cut lower treble but too much).
+5db on these frequencies are great to me, but the SR5 still having +3 or +4db from neutral point and having big air boost 8khz, so it won't have intense treble energy but certainly doesn't lack anything too.

Something that have 6khz boost, like Z1R, Mest mk1, moondrop S8 will have this treble energy, depend on the implementation and damper system they can sounded detailed intense but smooth or harsh.

7khz is the danger treble area, sibilances are there.

But on higher register past 10khz, they rolled off too soon and too much, here they will lose much air, end trail of the hihats (not the hi hat sound itself).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back