The discovery thread!
Jul 11, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #82,861 of 106,660
Jul 11, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #82,862 of 106,660
Another listener who backs up what I've been saying for over a year now LOL The RE800 silver is great value and sounds awesome! @FranQL also recently purchased the RE800 silver, and also enjoys them, and at the price they are selling them at, it's a no brainer to add to your collection with limited fundage.
Do you experience any driver flex with the RE800 ?

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #82,863 of 106,660
Thanks!
In order to keep price as competitive as possible, I surrendered all of my commissions on this project, so basically I’m conducting a volunteer from designing to tuning.

Making an IEM to my ideal is not a simple “throw FR and call it done”, each drivers has their unique inherited sound and altering those beyond what’s possible will make a bad timbre, so we had to build it from the scratch. All those time, I’ve spent is free of charge, the benefit I want is an ideal sound.

First model will be 10BA, 2 tuning switches, full Knowles /Sonion. With my ideal qdc-family (Anole VX, Neon Pro, Bravery) sound.

bedd05e877f6c8dddfad471a81d60aff.jpeg
Butastur logo:
IMG_8870.jpeg

The hardware model is finalized, we are completing the shells.

My motto is
Finest Sound for the “rest of us”
as I grew up in one of poorest era of communist China while Soviet Union was present, and moved to world’s one of richest nation, Japan, then USA.

I know how is it feel to be on the “rest of the world” feeling, so I’m still negotiating with the stakeholder to keep the price low.

Hope we can reach to an agreement on pricing upon release.
That sounds brilliant, and i am really looking forward to them now. You defiantly got a buyer here.

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #82,864 of 106,660
Hmm, since HEXA is like an anomaly, I’d say an average $80-100 cable models.

One exception is Jabra Elite 65t which is not an ANC model but the diaphragm used on that model is very nimble, so it does have great transients. You can get it $97 new, and $39 used, I got the used one and extremely satisfied with the sound quality and the performance.

It has multipoint connectivity that‘s almost a must-have for modern TWS.
IMG_8457.jpegIMG_8456.jpeg

Most of TWS are B-grade, with maybe Momentum 3 and XM4, hitting on A-, where I still see SR5 hitting A+, so there are small gaps, but when comparig to HEXA (A), that maybe purely depending on personal preference. S12Pro meanwhile I feel is A-grade, same to Timeless, a properly solid tuned, best implemented planar with technical focus in to mind.

From my experience, if there is a grade gap between the sound performance, personal preference may impact less in making decision on “which one has a better sound”. (like comparing S-grade to A-grade)

But when it comes to same grade, comparing A- to A or A+, personal preference weight can flip the valuation, so it’s more of up to your call.
The reason I'm asking about the sr 5 so much is to avoid a second audiosense t 800 error. Sometimes I don't even want to listen. i have a plan for sr 7 this week but sr 5 is getting too much praise. If I repeat the t 800 error, I cannot return the sr 7. there is a $150 difference, sr 5 seems like a safe way. I like models that don't have recessed mid frequencies and are slightly fun, of course the resolution has to be good too.

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #82,865 of 106,660
Thanks!
In order to keep price as competitive as possible, I surrendered all of my commissions on this project, so basically I’m conducting a volunteer from designing to tuning.

Making an IEM to my ideal is not a simple “throw FR and call it done”, each drivers has their unique inherited sound and altering those beyond what’s possible will make a bad timbre, so we had to build it from the scratch. All those time, I’ve spent is free of charge, the benefit I want is an ideal sound.

First model will be 10BA, 2 tuning switches, full Knowles /Sonion. With my ideal qdc-family (Anole VX, Neon Pro, Bravery) sound.

bedd05e877f6c8dddfad471a81d60aff.jpeg
Butastur logo:
IMG_8870.jpeg

The hardware model is finalized, we are completing the shells.

My motto is
Finest Sound for the “rest of us”
as I grew up in one of poorest era of communist China while Soviet Union was present, and moved to world’s one of richest nation, Japan, then USA.

I know how is it feel to be on the “rest of the world” feeling, the rich nation’s rich people playing with expensive toys that costs $$$$ which only 0.001% of world population is fortunate enough to enjoy with.

Music has no boundaries but IEM‘s fine sound has such boundaries, at least up till couple of years ago, so I’m still negotiating with the stakeholder to keep the price low.

Hope we can reach to an agreement on pricing upon release.
where to buy this iem?

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #82,866 of 106,660
The reason I'm asking about the sr 5 so much is to avoid a second audiosense t 800 error. Sometimes I don't even want to listen. i have a plan for sr 7 this week but sr 5 is getting too much praise. If I repeat the t 800 error, I cannot return the sr 7. there is a $150 difference, sr 5 seems like a safe way. I like models that don't have recessed mid frequencies and are slightly fun, of course the resolution has to be good too.
If you like an engaging sound the SR5 might be the IEM for you. I love mine, but mind you, get ride of the original cable and get an after market. My advice is to get the NiceHCK BlackSoul cable and some Tangzu Sancai eartips or some TRN T tips or the TRI e
Clarion tips...

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #82,867 of 106,660
If you like an engaging sound the SR5 might be the IEM for you. I love mine, but mind you, get ride of the original cable and get an after market. My advice is to get the NiceHCK BlackSoul cable and some Tangzu Sancai eartips or some TRN T tips or the TRI e
Clarion tips...
yes, even if it's technical, I'm in favor of more fun sounds instead of sounds like hexa. I got good wires, ah. I guess I
ll try it, thanks for the advice

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #82,868 of 106,660
yes, even if it's technical, I'm in favor of more fun sounds instead of sounds like hexa. I got good wires, ah. I guess I
ll try it, thanks for the advice
SR5 and SR7 are tuned by different philosophy, I feel Sound Rhyme is very talented in tuning, not “gifted” level that Abel of AuR, but certainly Moondrop‘s tuner should learn from Sound Rhyme.

SR5: powerful bass great dynamics, inoffensive but very crisp resolution

SR7: warmer bass presence, monitor style or instrument oriented neutral

Both are great IEMs
IMG_8880.png

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #82,869 of 106,660
SR5 and SR7 are tuned by different philosophy, I feel Sound Rhyme is very talented in tuning, not “gifted” level that Abel of AuR, but certainly Moondrop‘s tuner should learn from Sound Rhyme.

Both are great IEMs
A.S. I think your Impressions of the two are bang on. I prefer the sound of the SR5 tuning over the SR7 personally and like the added energy in the highs. I was a bit worried as I am a bit treble sensitive but no worries for me and at volumes I should not be listening to.

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #82,870 of 106,660
A.S. I think your Impressions of the two are bang on. I prefer the sound of the SR5 tuning over the SR7 personally and like the added energy in the highs. I was a bit worried as I am a bit treble sensitive but no worries for me and at volumes I should not be listening to.
And thanks for the beautiful measurement on squiglink! That’s awesome💎💎

Yea the added energy in treble of SR5 is a talented coloration of them👍

Jul 11, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #82,871 of 106,660

Both are great IEMs
IMG_8880.png
Didn't know you had the SR5... Can you compare it with the Xenns Top? From what I've been reading, the tuning should be similar...

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #82,873 of 106,660
I know this thread is mostly talking about IEM-related stuff, but the HD660S2 is on sale for a good price ($379.95) right now if you have Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRT1ZN7Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Back