The discovery thread!
Jun 19, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #81,301 of 106,784
Right the bore size is only 1 aspect / 1 part of big portion that affecting sounds. Material also affecting lot, then the shape of the umbrella and insertion depth, nozzle length also affecting the sound.

Generally small bores eartips will reduce 4-7khz area, with 5-6khz area affected the most. So this will reduce lower trebles thus will lead to resolution and the balance with lower end (will perceived as bigger bass because of actually reduced treble, also at the same time make the "bass tube" through the eartips smaller that leads to more higher pressure of mid bass.
While wide bores eartips as oppose to the former, will increase 4-7khz area with 5-6khz area affected the most, higher resolution, more detailed lower trebles and reduce bloated bass (aka reduced mid bass) with same sub bass.

DynamicEars Eartips Measurement.jpg

then materials like foam absorb the trails, or muffled the resonance that leads to upper treble reduce. so foam with small bore and foam with wide bore will sounded different too. Even silicone, hard silicone, soft silicone, rubbery like silicone also affect difference resonances.
This can be measured as impulse response. and mostly are inline with what I'm hearing

eartips impulse - JVC spiral dot original.jpg

eartips impulse - JVC spiral dot++.jpg

See the middle left like edge of the leaf thingy, the harder material, they will shaped like rough zigzag lines (on original spiral dot), so the material is harder, they will resonance the edge more edgy, plus points is sharper mid bass, minimum smears, with more edgier or detailed micro details transients. Then the overall bushes like lines to the right are the macro dynamics, Original spiral dot have more macro dynamics, contrast resonance.

Compare with the lower impulse response of Spiral Dot ++ that made from softer and more rubbery like materials. The edge of the leaf thingy (left, mid) is more smoothen of, this will sounded less edgy, soften presentation, then to the right the macrodynamics are still there but less than original spiral dot. Can be plus or minus depends on what IEM you're going to pair with. To tame edgy and bright IEMs, the spiral dot++ is better. It's all about pairing ecosystem.

Same goes with dampening IEMs, if the manufacturer think deeply, they will have great match for their driver setup and tuning. But mostly, they never think this deep, just put the common nylon filter on the nozzle to chase the target that given by someone, or the collab partner.

I agree, just save and upgrade to IE600, IMHO the IE600 is the best among Senn's modern IE line ups. Even with IE900, I feel the IE600 have better tuning, and more value than the flagship.

Measurabation is strong with this one :dt880smile:

And how about a teaser of.. umm, limited IEMs with :

-non bleeding bass, tight and impactful with 2DDs
-tribrid multidriver setup (many drivers) with great extension end to end
-non shouty mids, safe pinna gain but non recessed mids
-lot of dynamics
-properly dampened, with good airflow
-airy and detailed trebles
-priced below $170?

!!warning : need juice to drive these!!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DynamicEars collaboration teasing.jpg

That 1.5kHz scares me :dt880smile:

The whole graph reminds me of certain multi-kilobuck but I can’t quite put my fingers on it. That 1.5Khz is reminiscent of the VE EXT to a degree. That 8k region also raises questions. But who knows, maybe everything would just click together into an interesting signature.

How hard to drive are we talking about? Btr5 via balanced output or portable amp only?

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #81,302 of 106,784
i think it came last week, tangzu gave me one as a gift for me to review. The bass is quite good, it has a sound character that is not bright and far from tiring. A headphone as successful as the waner, although I don't like the bullet type, it looks very comfortable. technically it shows its price, but still seems to be worth it for 20 dollars.

IMG_20230615_173633.jpg
IMG_20230615_173629.jpg

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #81,303 of 106,784
Measurabation is strong with this one :dt880smile:

That 1.5kHz scares me :dt880smile:

The whole graph reminds me of certain multi-kilobuck but I can’t quite put my fingers on it. That 1.5Khz is reminiscent of the VE EXT to a degree. That 8k region also raises questions. But who knows, maybe everything would just click together into an interesting signature.

How hard to drive are we talking about? Btr5 via balanced output or portable amp only?
Right the 1.5khz is too forward little bit, it is more than my target
And the 8khz isnt that scary as it looks, i tried to dampen it but the driver native is bit wild to tame. I could lower down that 8khz with more foams but sacrifice the bass quality, i don't intend to do that.

BTR5 on balanced will take almost full power. This really quite hard to drive, harder than single planars, harder than Z1R from my comparison.
Well it got Bone conductor too like quintet

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #81,304 of 106,784
And the 8khz isnt that scary as it looks, i tried to dampen it but the driver native is bit wild to tame. I could lower down that 8khz with more foams but sacrifice the bass quality, i don't intend to do that.

BTR5 on balanced will take almost full power. This really quite hard to drive, harder than single planars, harder than Z1R from my comparison.

Haha most important question bro, when are you gonna sell it?

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #81,305 of 106,784

Where can I buy it? I want to review it when you are done with it. Bone conduction makes me excited (since I can’t afford the MEST III)

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #81,306 of 106,784
He didn’t change his mind. He always said his first impression was poor but they were growing on him.

And grow, they did
The first post on youtube didnt say that.

Anyways good to know, because warm-relaxed iems are suitables to my taste.
It reminds me to EST112

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #81,307 of 106,784
I am absolutely in awe with these Softears Studio 4. But not for the reason you may think.

These aren't the most dynamic or the most articulate set I've tried. Transients are fast but not very incisive. They have a smoother than snappier attack. Heck, I'd say the technicalities of this set match closer to $300 than $400 in some aspects. Instead, these are one of the most neutral sounding IEM's I've tried, bar none. This means that from bass to treble, it sounds very smooth and natural without the feeling of something being off.

The Studio 4's playback of Laufey is absolutely immaculate and probably the best that I've heard Laufey's vocals on besides actually hearing her sing in real life.

Absolutely insane tuning and thought deserved an extra post before I post my first impressions

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #81,308 of 106,784
1687182378074.png

Fiios M15S. I have been using the old Fiio M15 for the past 3 years. Ever since it came out. It was my reference sound for testing IEMs due to its neutral accurate uncolored sound depiction which allows me to hear what my IEMs are doing. The M15S brings more functionality, more power and most importantly an upgraded sound. The M15S costs $1000 which is $300 less but to me there is no question the M15S is superior in sonics. My take on the M15S. Sound just don't get much better in the price range. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-m15s.26483/review/31063/

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #81,309 of 106,784
It feels like a waste of money to try something from the 0-100 band after starting to slide into mid-range products. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it just a temporary feeling? Spending money on non-upgrade products makes me feel weird. I have dozens of products in the 0-380 dollar band. After ordering the latest audiosense t800, most budget ci fi iems no longer interest me. I'm a bit demotivated, even the products that came for review are still waiting for review and I'm trying to get them to next week. Except for a few items, most of them are the same, most of them without details. Just a few months ago, I was ordering a new budget iems almost every day. I have over 20 of them and only listen to a few, most of them I've even forgotten their sound signatures.

For example, hexa has been attracting my attention for a long time, because of quality control issues, I turned away from most ci fi brands. Except for a few solid brands, I stopped ordering products from chinese companies, especially from small and unknown companies. It's strange how people's minds have changed so much in just a few months.

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #81,310 of 106,784
It feels like a waste of money to try something from the 0-100 band after starting to slide into mid-range products. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it just a temporary feeling? Spending money on non-upgrade products makes me feel weird. I have dozens of products in the 0-380 dollar band. After ordering the latest audiosense t800, most budget ci fi iems no longer interest me. I'm a bit demotivated, even the products that came for review are still waiting for review and I'm trying to get them to next week. Except for a few items, most of them are the same, most of them without details. Just a few months ago, I was ordering a new budget iems almost every day. I have over 20 of them and only listen to a few, most of them I've even forgotten their sound signatures.

For example, hexa has been attracting my attention for a long time, because of quality control issues, I turned away from most ci fi brands. Except for a few solid brands, I stopped ordering products from chinese companies, especially from small and unknown companies. It's strange how people's minds have changed so much in just a few months.

Yep so budget gear is useful to get a taste of different sound signatures. Once you know what you want, it is best to upgrade to midFI and call it a day. You save much money in the long term.

Unless you are a reviewer, or wanna collect many IEMs (the journey rather than the destination kind), or have an obsession to collect all the latest flavour of the week sidegrades, then otherwise, it is best to upgrade up the line and enjoy your "PAUSE GAME" IEM for a few months before coming back to the forums.

Spoiler: there is no end game.

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #81,311 of 106,784
I am absolutely in awe with these Softears Studio 4. But not for the reason you may think.

These aren't the most dynamic or the most articulate set I've tried. Transients are fast but not very incisive. They have a smoother than snappier attack. Heck, I'd say the technicalities of this set match closer to $300 than $400 in some aspects. Instead, these are one of the most neutral sounding IEM's I've tried, bar none. This means that from bass to treble, it sounds very smooth and natural without the feeling of something being off.

The Studio 4's playback of Laufey is absolutely immaculate and probably the best that I've heard Laufey's vocals on besides actually hearing her sing in real life.

Absolutely insane tuning and thought deserved an extra post before I post my first impressions
Yeah definitely underrated IMO as it's up there with great tuned IEMs 👍👍

Attachments

• graph (19).png
    graph (19).png
    312.4 KB · Views: 0
Jun 19, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #81,312 of 106,784

I don't think hexa is that good the detail is there but the volume kinda isn't like they're boring

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #81,314 of 106,784
Yep so budget gear is useful to get a taste of different sound signatures. Once you know what you want, it is best to upgrade to midFI and call it a day. You save much money in the long term.

Unless you are a reviewer, or wanna collect many IEMs (the journey rather than the destination kind), or have an obsession to collect all the latest flavour of the week sidegrades, then otherwise, it is best to upgrade up the line and enjoy your "PAUSE GAME" IEM for a few months before coming back to the forums.

Spoiler: there is no end game.
This is so true. Honestly if I had just stayed a casual user, I probably would have stuck with the $40 Heart Mirror and never looked back. But because I always strived for something better or different (and also got into reviewing) I got curious and jumped into this massive rabbit hole. But I agree with all of your thoughts. Once you know what you want, go mid-fi and you'll be satisfied.

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #81,315 of 106,784
Yeah definitely underrated IMO as it's up there with great tuned IEMs 👍👍
They sound so smooth! They playback vocal-centric tracks so well, but not so much if I wanted an engaging or thick sound. Definitely another banger release from Softears however

Users who are viewing this thread

Back