The discovery thread!
Jun 19, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #81,286 of 106,795
IE100, and no, the cables are completely different. The IE100 does not have the memory flex wire at the ear, but it's not that uncomfortable either, though the IE200 cable SUCKS. I owned both. Sold the IE200, and still use my IE100, BUT the caveat is do you like bass and specifically sub bass? The IE200 has blunted highs, so treble extension is suspect, while the IE100 has beautifully extended highs and crisp mid range, but the bass and sub bass are neutral and subdued. So IE200 if you listen to modern pop and hip hop, EDM, or r&b, and IE100 is you're more into classical, jazz, acoustic, or rock music.
Thank you, interesting, i already have the IE100 and like it and was thinking about upgrading so i might just keep it.

Jun 19, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #81,287 of 106,795
Though a simplistic approach, I was under the impression that narrow bore reduces the treble and boosts the bass in ideal situations. However, tip size, tip material and insertion depth are as important in my limited experience. Just as an example the spiral dots give me a sense of better rumble and decay in the bass region while a similar bore tip with a different material does not have that effect for me.

Jun 19, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #81,288 of 106,795
What do you think of the Aful 8 cable?
I have zero idea about sonic quality, but it is a well behaved and good looking cable. Unfortunately, it is 3.5. Most of portable gear in my collection are designed to prioritise balanced output. Thus I bought a bunch of 4.4 cables.

Jun 19, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #81,289 of 106,795
Edit:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #81,290 of 106,795
Thank you, interesting, i already have the IE100 and like it and was thinking about upgrading so i might just keep it.
Direct pure upgrade from IE100 is the IE600, but you could get away with the IE300 if you can deal with it's bassy signature. It's classy, but bassy. The IE200 has less bass, but also less highs. Similar mids.

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #81,291 of 106,795
Though a simplistic approach, I was under the impression that narrow bore reduces the treble and boosts the bass in ideal situations. However, tip size, tip material and insertion depth are as important in my limited experience. Just as an example the spiral dots give me a sense of better rumble and decay in the bass region while a similar bore tip with a different material does not have that effect for me.

The individual ear anatomy also affects the resonances and final sound with eartips. So it is quite a YMMV situation.

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #81,292 of 106,795
The individual ear anatomy also affects the resonances and final sound with eartips. So it is quite a YMMV situation.

So true. Bore, length, material, shape. All have an impact on fit and therefore on sound. Even tips that are typically associated with an enhancing treble (for example) may produce better bass on some sets due to achieving a better seal.

Ultimately tip selection is kind of a volume game. I keep probably a dozen different kinds around to try with any new set, even though I typically land on one of the three or four main contenders.

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #81,293 of 106,795
My experience goes in the opposite direction. Wide bores open up the mids to higher frequencies and the more narrow bores handcuff the same range, which gives the perception of a bass boost.

clipped from the Amazon description for the FiiO FD5:

Interchangeable sound tube​

Great sound comes from a great fit. FD5 comes with interchangeable sound tubels in small and large size to best fit your ear.The large sound tube is balanced,white the small sound tube present a lively, more bass-focused sound.

From my review of the Azla Crystal Standard, on my Blessing 2 Dusk:
I recently stumbled across the less sticky (than the Xelastic), thick walled, AZLA SednaEarfit Crystal Standard and figured why not; they immediately resolved the lower mids issue, but also brought forward the treble. Enter the NiceHCK screen filters. 🥳
The wide bore does open up mid and treble, the open could mean to increase in overall quantity but at same time easing out the sibilant spikes, while narrow bore ones decrease the overall quantity but the peaks could get echoed inside the small tube (e.g. 10khz~15kHz gets re-amplified while 5khz-10khz get compensated)

By the way if you like Sednafit Crystal Standard, you may find H570 is an advanced version, the wall material is between super sticky xelastec and Sednafit Crystal, while the design is very similar, so overall sonic products share a certain degree of open airiness while retaining bass resonance that’s hard to reproduce with harder silicone materials.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #81,295 of 106,795
Just to let you know...

Super*Reviews make a video about the 41t.
5 stars, he changes his mind about this iem...

Im thinking about getting it
He didn’t change his mind. He always said his first impression was poor but they were growing on him.

And grow, they did

Jun 19, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #81,296 of 106,795
See this little post I made of how eartips affect the frequency response: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-5412#post-17607459

Stellaris_Various_Tips.jpg

However, eartips are also influenced by ear anatomy, so the sonic difference between individuals with the same eartips is subjective. So YMMV.

So true. Bore, length, material, shape. All have an impact on fit and therefore on sound. Even tips that are typically associated with an enhancing treble (for example) may produce better bass on some sets due to achieving a better seal.
Ultimately tip selection is kind of a volume game. I keep probably a dozen different kinds around to try with any new set, even though I typically land on one of the three or four main contenders.

The wide bore does open up mid and treble, the open could mean to increase in overall quantity but at same time easing out the sibilant spikes, while narrow bore ones decrease the overall quantity but the peaks could get echoed inside the small tube (e.g. 10khz~15kHz gets re-amplified while 5khz-10khz get compensated)

By the way if you like Sednafit Crystal Standard, you may find H570 is an advanced version, the wall material is between super sticky xelastec and Sednafit Crystal, while the design is very similar, so overall sonic products share a certain degree of open airiness while retaining bass resonance that’s hard to reproduce with harder silicone materials.

Right the bore size is only 1 aspect / 1 part of big portion that affecting sounds. Material also affecting lot, then the shape of the umbrella and insertion depth, nozzle length also affecting the sound.

Generally small bores eartips will reduce 4-7khz area, with 5-6khz area affected the most. So this will reduce lower trebles thus will lead to resolution and the balance with lower end (will perceived as bigger bass because of actually reduced treble, also at the same time make the "bass tube" through the eartips smaller that leads to more higher pressure of mid bass.
While wide bores eartips as oppose to the former, will increase 4-7khz area with 5-6khz area affected the most, higher resolution, more detailed lower trebles and reduce bloated bass (aka reduced mid bass) with same sub bass.

DynamicEars Eartips Measurement.jpg

then materials like foam absorb the trails, or muffled the resonance that leads to upper treble reduce. so foam with small bore and foam with wide bore will sounded different too. Even silicone, hard silicone, soft silicone, rubbery like silicone also affect difference resonances.
This can be measured as impulse response. and mostly are inline with what I'm hearing

eartips impulse - JVC spiral dot original.jpg

eartips impulse - JVC spiral dot++.jpg

See the middle left like edge of the leaf thingy, the harder material, they will shaped like rough zigzag lines (on original spiral dot), so the material is harder, they will resonance the edge more edgy, plus points is sharper mid bass, minimum smears, with more edgier or detailed micro details transients. Then the overall bushes like lines to the right are the macro dynamics, Original spiral dot have more macro dynamics, contrast resonance.

Compare with the lower impulse response of Spiral Dot ++ that made from softer and more rubbery like materials. The edge of the leaf thingy (left, mid) is more smoothen of, this will sounded less edgy, soften presentation, then to the right the macrodynamics are still there but less than original spiral dot. Can be plus or minus depends on what IEM you're going to pair with. To tame edgy and bright IEMs, the spiral dot++ is better. It's all about pairing ecosystem.

Same goes with dampening IEMs, if the manufacturer think deeply, they will have great match for their driver setup and tuning. But mostly, they never think this deep, just put the common nylon filter on the nozzle to chase the target that given by someone, or the collab partner.

Direct pure upgrade from IE100 is the IE600, but you could get away with the IE300 if you can deal with it's bassy signature. It's classy, but bassy. The IE200 has less bass, but also less highs. Similar mids.
I agree, just save and upgrade to IE600, IMHO the IE600 is the best among Senn's modern IE line ups. Even with IE900, I feel the IE600 have better tuning, and more value than the flagship.

Jun 19, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #81,297 of 106,795
And how about a teaser of.. umm, limited IEMs with :

-non bleeding bass, tight and impactful with 2DDs
-tribrid multidriver setup (many drivers) with great extension end to end
-non shouty mids, safe pinna gain but non recessed mids
-lot of dynamics
-properly dampened, with good airflow
-airy and detailed trebles
-priced below $170?

!!warning : need juice to drive these!!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DynamicEars collaboration teasing.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #81,298 of 106,795
In comparing with many more expensive IEM's, the one IEM that stands out significantly, is the Simgot EA500. It was fairly hyped at the time of it's release. AB 'ing with many more expensive IEM's shows how good the EA500 is. Re-cabling using the the Penon PAC480 Cable and Spiral Dots, the Sigmot EA500 sounds exceptionally musical and organic. An IEM that those of you who have it, should revisit.

Jun 19, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #81,299 of 106,795
To me its looking like a single DD like EA500 is perfectly fine. I thought I needed more drivers in the case of busy songs with constant highs and heavy lows at the same time causing the single driver to get overloaded and stifle the dynamics. But maybe with the dual chamber and magnet design that doesn't occur. The chorus of Starlight by Babymetal is the greatest test of this occurrence I found.

If someone could test their EA500s and let me know if they notice it being congested with that song during the chorus at high volumes please let me know. I don't have that one yet
Well I listen to Lorna Shore on my EA500 so yeah it can definitely resolve metal very well 👍
And yeah I'm familiar with Baby Metal but man I just tried listening to Startlight without EQ and her voice pierced my ears 😅
So yeah I definitely don't recommend EA500 without EQ BUT it handles EQ extremely well!
The sub-bass even rumbles well!
This is the EQ profile I use now
Oh and I should also say the EA500 is the least isolating IEMs I've ever tried. Definitely not a good idea for a walk outside in the city or for use in a public gym!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230619-072658.png
    Screenshot_20230619-072658.png
    314.3 KB · Views: 0
Jun 19, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #81,300 of 106,795
In comparing with many more expensive IEM's, the one IEM that stands out significantly, is the Simgot EA500. It was fairly hyped at the time of it's release. AB 'ing with many more expensive IEM's shows how good the EA500 is. Re-cabling using the the Penon PAC480 Cable and Spiral Dots, the Sigmot EA500 sounds exceptionally musical and organic. An IEM that those of you who have it, should revisit.
100% agree, one of best releases lately when looking at 100usd bracket. I am awaiting a tuning kit from Simgot before I write much about it. Hope it can tame some of the upper mids for me, but at same time this would take away some of detailed nature ea500 has.

PXL_20230612_083714938.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back