The discovery thread!
May 1, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #77,882 of 102,864
Be careful with those code, I had terrible experience with Linsoul for that.

You need to login to your account to claim that, and the code supposed to be sent to you with instructions “separately” from the order conf email.

If you didn’t receive email contains code, check spam/junk, if not there, you will need to contact linsoul on their website’s chat app.
You get a email right away with the code this time should be a Non issue from Linsoul moving forward. I thi k they learned thier lesson.

May 1, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #77,883 of 102,864
Oh he said Quartet is close tuning to SA6 MKII?!

Nvm, just found his measurements

We need to subtract that the bass is 2DD, so it may appear more than the FR per se.

I can see it’s pretty mid bass rich or “bleed” depending on people’s preference. I shall like it.
A1AB84C4-82F9-402C-B6D7-9D05664C8CDB.png
I don't think you will hear or at least I hope on MB bleed if its anything like the FAN2 with its dual 6mm its just fast slam

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    193.5 KB · Views: 0
May 1, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #77,884 of 102,864
Hi. I also own M6U. When you wrote B3 benefits from amp vis-à-vis M6U, do the higher gain settings on M6U make an audible difference?
Good question. In my experience, gain =/= power, most of the time. However, let me try high gain and report back. I have been using mid gain.

May 1, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #77,885 of 102,864

We need to subtract that the bass is 2DD, so it may appear more than the FR per se.

I can see it’s pretty mid bass rich or “bleed” depending on people’s preference. I shall like it.
Yes, that is rock oriented mid-bass!

May 1, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #77,888 of 102,864
You get a email right away with the code this time should be a Non issue from Linsoul moving forward. I thi k they learned thier lesson.
I tried again…again no spam/junk, I only received the confirmation email for $1RC😞

Have you/anyone got the universal code already?

I recall last time it was Z300EARLYBIRD and only the one purchased the code could use it.

This time QUARTETEARLYBIRD?

May 1, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #77,889 of 102,864
Tripowin Altea - Does anyone recommend it for the SIMGOT EA500? Or Tin C21682980466224.png
Personally I like a pure copper cable on EA500 This one is hard to beat at $15 sale price!

C$ 128.44 45%OFF | NiceHCK PurpleSE Imported 8 Core FURUKAWA Copper Upgrade Cable 3.5/2.5/4.4mm MMCX/0.78mm 2Pin For Stardust M5 Starsea P1 MAX
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLZRCes

May 1, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #77,890 of 102,864
If (and this is a big if) the drivers and crossovers are implemented well, generally for a similar price, a multi driver IEM might be better at instrument separation and imaging than a single DD for example. Think of it as one driver covering one frequency band versus 5 drivers covering the entire range, generally the 5 drivers can split the workload compared to one lonely driver trying to cover everything.

The exception might be for single planars, which inherent to the driver, generally gives rapid transients and low distortion, so they generally have top notch technicalities for their price range, even as a single driver. There are some single DDs at the TOTL segment eg DUNU LUNA, Final A8000, Acoustunes, that have excellent resolution that can rival multi driver types, but their price is eye watering.

But of course we go back to the first point of tuning and implementation trumping driver type/brand/count. There are examples of companies like TRN and KZ trying to stuff as many drivers as they can into a shell, but the tuning and execution fails, and the high driver count is just a white elephant.

As for your query on multi BA. In general, BA bass that is not vented sounds quite unnatural in the bass, with a lack of decay and movement of air compared to DD bass. Therein hybrids with BA handling the higher frequencies and a DD covering the bass comes into play, to combine the best of both driver types (single DD tend to lack treble extension). There is a trend towards vented BA bass, that lets it come close to a DD bass, so that's something that may also help.

While the term EST (electrostatic) is commonly used, to be pedantic, the ones used in the budget segment (eg Shouer Tape, Shuoer Tape Pro) and even in the MidFi range (eg Mangird XENNS UP, DUNU EST 112, Moondrop Variations, ThieAudio Excalibur and Oracle) are usually that of a lower-voltage electret or magnetostatic driver, rather than a true electrostatic driver. The true higher voltage electrostatic drivers (for example, something like the Shure KSE1500 or STAX SR series) actually have their own energizer amp or high voltage amplifier to drive them.

So these electrets are already pre-charged, but they theoretically can lose their charge over time and may be inoperable once the charges are depleted (probably many hours later, and probably a new IEM will come in the mail way before that!). Anyways, these electrets bring good micro-detailing to the table, but are still generally quite smooth, say compared to a BA or piezo driver handling the same frequency band.

As spoken, all these are generalizations. Though for sure driver types have their pros and cons, but implementation and tuning is the most important. A Michelin Star restaurant cook can get the most premium ingredients but fail to cook up a presentable meal. Whereas a humble housewife can make a delicious meal with limited ingredients.

I personally love the EST implementation of both Monarch II and HiBy Zeta. My next personal purchase would have good EST implementation inside (not Dunu EST112 EST :dt880smile:

Quartet couldn’t be more different than SA6II, based on the graph?

The treble configuration reminds me to EA Gaea. The bass hump looks interesting though. I have no doubt it’s going to be decent, as most IEMs from skilful manufacturers nowadays.

May 1, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #77,891 of 102,864
If you're asking me. If you like that cable, just buy it. JUST DO IT.

Personally I like a pure copper cable on EA500 This one is hard to beat at $15 sale price!

C$ 128.44 45%OFF | NiceHCK PurpleSE Imported 8 Core FURUKAWA Copper Upgrade Cable 3.5/2.5/4.4mm MMCX/0.78mm 2Pin For Stardust M5 Starsea P1 MAX
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLZRCes
I only have two OCC cables and both sounded equally great on the EA500. In my opinion you need the slight warmer temperament to kind-of smooth out the highs and add depth to everything. The included cable was 3.5mm and I have better luck accessing my 4.4mm amplifiers. But both the Han Sound Zen 4 wire Litz was great and the FAAEL Hibiscus sounded great, and better than the included wire.

May 1, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #77,892 of 102,864
Not real news to many, yet I finally (really long tumultuous story) got my Truthear Hexa:
20230501_194429.jpg

Partially impressed, but not overall impressed at all would be a summary.
What is impressive - the resolving detail-oriented treble, one of the best I ever experienced.
Then, overall, the dry nearly lifeless signature is surprisingly not impressive and not engaging.
I am close to the "treble head", the bass on HZ Mirror was sufficient. I really liked Hola.

Yet, Hexa made a strong impression of being nearly lifeless, so lean in bass that even Dioko would feel as engaging and warm by comparison (Dioko is dear to me as a great reference point, and not so much an IEM that I would ever listen for hours).

I now totally understand the reports of many selling their Hexa, and those moving from Moondrop/Truthear "house tuning" overall.

Ironically, especialy dry the sound felt using the "updated" Shio - almost yikes...
E44 worked a bit better; warmer sources, especially emphasizing midbass, like Sonata III and BHD, may work even better, but I just already designated Hexa to the "depth of the drawer" for its tuning. "Burning" few hundred or thousand hours is not an option, sorry, especially after X7 fiasco.
Marked those "reviewers" that promoted/hyped Hexa.

Well, the hype of the past is thin as its sound, we can now "truth-ear- fully surmise...

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #77,893 of 102,864
Tripowin Altea - Does anyone recommend it for the SIMGOT EA500? Or Tin C21682980466224.png

Do you like the aesthetics? Does the weight look good for your preference (use plug and connectors for scale)? Braiding appears regular but loose. Earhooks don't appear weirdly curved. 6N OCC copper is good. Litz braiding may give slightly better retention of upper frequencies (reducing effect of copper attenuation). Lastly Tripowin makes decent cables.

TL DR: appears to be safe choice:ksc75smile:

May 1, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #77,894 of 102,864
Do you like the aesthetics? Does the weight look good for your preference (use plug and connectors for scale)? Braiding appears regular but loose. Earhooks don't appear weirdly curved. 6N OCC copper is good. Litz braiding may give slightly better retention of upper frequencies (reducing effect of copper attenuation). Lastly Tripowin makes decent cables.

TL DR: appears to be safe choice:ksc75smile:
The purity of materials and build make a difference. I swear I could hear a difference between my cheap Hibiscus cable and the $160 Han Sound? Though still it could be suggested bias? There is no way to tell without blind tests, though both cables did what I was after with OCC. As far as purity ratings they are a generalization and not always accurate.
1B82C3C9-0B7E-4869-AC6D-082AE75EF102.jpeg

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #77,895 of 102,864
Just to say that the Simgot EA500 has made an impression on me like the cheapo Blon 03 did years ago. It is a masterpiece of tuning, to me. Extremely musical, high quality bass, great vocals and even good technicals. Bargain. All from a DD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back