The discovery thread!
May 1, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #77,866 of 103,057
If (and this is a big if) the drivers and crossovers are implemented well, generally for a similar price, a multi driver IEM might be better at instrument separation and imaging than a single DD for example. Think of it as one driver covering one frequency band versus 5 drivers covering the entire range, generally the 5 drivers can split the workload compared to one lonely driver trying to cover everything.

The exception might be for single planars, which inherent to the driver, generally gives rapid transients and low distortion, so they generally have top notch technicalities for their price range, even as a single driver. There are some single DDs at the TOTL segment eg DUNU LUNA, Final A8000, Acoustunes, that have excellent resolution that can rival multi driver types, but their price is eye watering.

But of course we go back to the first point of tuning and implementation trumping driver type/brand/count. There are examples of companies like TRN and KZ trying to stuff as many drivers as they can into a shell, but the tuning and execution fails, and the high driver count is just a white elephant.

As for your query on multi BA. In general, BA bass that is not vented sounds quite unnatural in the bass, with a lack of decay and movement of air compared to DD bass. Therein hybrids with BA handling the higher frequencies and a DD covering the bass comes into play, to combine the best of both driver types (single DD tend to lack treble extension). There is a trend towards vented BA bass, that lets it come close to a DD bass, so that's something that may also help.

While the term EST (electrostatic) is commonly used, to be pedantic, the ones used in the budget segment (eg Shouer Tape, Shuoer Tape Pro) and even in the MidFi range (eg Mangird XENNS UP, DUNU EST 112, Moondrop Variations, ThieAudio Excalibur and Oracle) are usually that of a lower-voltage electret or magnetostatic driver, rather than a true electrostatic driver. The true higher voltage electrostatic drivers (for example, something like the Shure KSE1500 or STAX SR series) actually have their own energizer amp or high voltage amplifier to drive them.

So these electrets are already pre-charged, but they theoretically can lose their charge over time and may be inoperable once the charges are depleted (probably many hours later, and probably a new IEM will come in the mail way before that!). Anyways, these electrets bring good micro-detailing to the table, but are still generally quite smooth, say compared to a BA or piezo driver handling the same frequency band.

As spoken, all these are generalizations. Though for sure driver types have their pros and cons, but implementation and tuning is the most important. A Michelin Star restaurant cook can get the most premium ingredients but fail to cook up a presentable meal. Whereas a humble housewife can make a delicious meal with limited ingredients.
This was very nicely written and well detailed.

May 1, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #77,867 of 103,057
DD3C5A26-37C5-47FC-A300-E5C02A79E9F1.jpeg

So, I have been spending many hours today with this beauty Blessing 3, thanks to the generosity of a friend who loaned me the unit.

My impressions up to now can be summarised as “holy moly!”

Some main points in no particular order:
  • The whole presentation of Blessing 3 feels effortless. It’s not that the IEM spends less effort, but it is me who has to spend less effort to detect and distinguish all elements in the mixes.
  • Note definition and separation is way better than Blessing 2. The kinda-blobby musical notes, separated-but-not-quite-there presentation of B2 that annoys me is gone. B3 sounds pristine and crystal clear.
  • The soundstage is still flat (well, it’s still a Moondrop IEM after all). But it does not feel 2D like the B2. The stage width is carried over, but this time we have a stronger sense of height and layering. Instruments can jump around the stage now.
  • Bass is tight, but textured and detailed. It’s not the highlight, but not a disappointment when I focus to it. It feels almost like a high-end BA configuration rather than average DD.
  • The midrange is clean, open, and full of nuances. Vocals sound exceptional with B3, even more so than B2. Surprisingly, I don’t hear any shoutiness or harshness.

Yup, we are back to the equilibrium from a couple years ago but with new players: Moondrop Blessing 3 at $350, Dunu SA6II at $550, Monarch II at $1000, and U12T at $2000.

Now, if only ThieAudio release Monarch III and 64 Audio follows up with U12TII (U12S?).

Edit: get your amps out. These B3 want more than than a dongle can provide. Even my M6U benefits from the amp stage of G5 to push these B3 to full potential.
Hi. I also own M6U. When you wrote B3 benefits from amp vis-à-vis M6U, do the higher gain settings on M6U make an audible difference?

May 1, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #77,868 of 103,057
Don't think they are the same. I tried a prototype version of the Project Red at Singapore Can Jam and it looks totally different:

Project_Red.jpg

The Project Red looks similar in shell design to the Truthear Zero, so I suspect they are from the same factory (cable is also from Truthear)?

FWIW, the Project Red is supposedly dual DD and is cheaper than the B3. The Project Red has a huge mid-bass scoop out, and the bass is mostly focused at the sub-bass (haha I think the B3 is similar in this aspect), but the Project Red is quite weak in technical chops. Folks who listen to mid-bass forward genres like hip hop and EDM best skip it, the bass sounds anemic for these genres. But it comes with an impedance adapter which can boost the bass, and it is also not the final tuning, so YMMV.
Yea as hardcore truthear stan, that project red cable does look like the ones comes with their products✌️

I wonder when would TE be releasing their new line ups, it’s May already😭

May 1, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #77,869 of 103,057
If (and this is a big if) the drivers and crossovers are implemented well, generally for a similar price, a multi driver IEM might be better at instrument separation and imaging than a single DD for example. Think of it as one driver covering one frequency band versus 5 drivers covering the entire range, generally the 5 drivers can split the workload compared to one lonely driver trying to cover everything.

The exception might be for single planars, which inherent to the driver, generally gives rapid transients and low distortion, so they generally have top notch technicalities for their price range, even as a single driver. There are some single DDs at the TOTL segment eg DUNU LUNA, Final A8000, Acoustunes, that have excellent resolution that can rival multi driver types, but their price is eye watering.

But of course we go back to the first point of tuning and implementation trumping driver type/brand/count. There are examples of companies like TRN and KZ trying to stuff as many drivers as they can into a shell, but the tuning and execution fails, and the high driver count is just a white elephant.

As for your query on multi BA. In general, BA bass that is not vented sounds quite unnatural in the bass, with a lack of decay and movement of air compared to DD bass. Therein hybrids with BA handling the higher frequencies and a DD covering the bass comes into play, to combine the best of both driver types (single DD tend to lack treble extension). There is a trend towards vented BA bass, that lets it come close to a DD bass, so that's something that may also help.

While the term EST (electrostatic) is commonly used, to be pedantic, the ones used in the budget segment (eg Shouer Tape, Shuoer Tape Pro) and even in the MidFi range (eg Mangird XENNS UP, DUNU EST 112, Moondrop Variations, ThieAudio Excalibur and Oracle) are usually that of a lower-voltage electret or magnetostatic driver, rather than a true electrostatic driver. The true higher voltage electrostatic drivers (for example, something like the Shure KSE1500 or STAX SR series) actually have their own energizer amp or high voltage amplifier to drive them.

So these electrets are already pre-charged, but they theoretically can lose their charge over time and may be inoperable once the charges are depleted (probably many hours later, and probably a new IEM will come in the mail way before that!). Anyways, these electrets bring good micro-detailing to the table, but are still generally quite smooth, say compared to a BA or piezo driver handling the same frequency band.

As spoken, all these are generalizations. Though for sure driver types have their pros and cons, but implementation and tuning is the most important. A Michelin Star restaurant cook can get the most premium ingredients but fail to cook up a presentable meal. Whereas a humble housewife can make a delicious meal with limited ingredients.
I had stax IEM and not impressed with it as it had silky highs, great mid imaging but that’s it.

It’s a fixture that you’ll need huge dedicated amp and it basically has unrealistic bass presentation thin and pale.

The modern tribrid electret handles highs very neatly, especially for DTE500, so I’d like to add note “don’t expect too much from true electrostatic IEM”.

I’d rate Stax old IEM with tonality C, Tech A-, overall C+. Hard to recommend to anyone.

May 1, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #77,870 of 103,057
Really? I didn't even know that about EST in mid-tier IEMs.

May 1, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #77,871 of 103,057
Okay I am sold, watched the HBB review of Kiwi Ears Quartet. I have been interested in a new hybrid for work.
Tuned similar to SA6 MK2, that I don't mind 😁

Screenshot_20230501-174628.png

May 1, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #77,872 of 103,057
Okay I am sold, watched the HBB review of Kiwi Ears Quartet. I have been interested in a new hybrid for work.

Any idea what this “special super early bird discount” is going to be…???
I mean apart from it making me feel like a pensioner having dinner

EDIT: $10 (well $9 after $1 reservation fee) off MSRP apparently

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #77,873 of 103,057
It's just that you get to buy it for 99usd, nothing spectacular. Sales later will be better most likely.

May 1, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #77,874 of 103,057
Linsoul seems to offer yet another TRN BT20 variation - this time XS.
https://www.linsoul.com/products/trn-bt20-xs

Does anyone have a clue how would it differ from BT20S or 20S PRO?

From my findings:
- Bluetooth 5.3 vs 5.0
- the battery life is slightly worse: 40h on XS vs 72h on S PRO (even though both the case and the hooks have the same battery capacity).

If only they made the case a little bigger so that CIEMs would fit in..

May 1, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #77,875 of 103,057

Be careful with those code, I had terrible experience with Linsoul for that.

You need to login to your account to claim that, and the code supposed to be sent to you with instructions “separately” from the order conf email.

If you didn’t receive email contains code, check spam/junk, if not there, you will need to contact linsoul on their website’s chat app.

May 1, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #77,876 of 103,057

Oh he said Quartet is close tuning to SA6 MKII?!

Nvm, just found his measurements

We need to subtract that the bass is 2DD, so it may appear more than the FR per se.

I can see it’s pretty mid bass rich or “bleed” depending on people’s preference. I shall like it.
A1AB84C4-82F9-402C-B6D7-9D05664C8CDB.png

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #77,879 of 103,057

Screenshot_20230501-174628.png

I’m curious to read/hear impressions on these. Honestly, at this point the HBB brand is a tick in the negative box for me unless the set is somehow exceptional.

May 1, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #77,880 of 103,057

Count 3 likes from me 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back