The discovery thread!
May 1, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #77,896 of 106,566
Not real news to many, yet I finally (really long tumultuous story) got my Truthear Hexa:
20230501_194429.jpg
Partially impressed, but not overall impressed at all would be a summary.
What is impressive - the resolving detail-oriented treble, one of the best I ever experienced.
Then, overall, the dry nearly lifeless signature is surprisingly not impressive and not engaging.
I am close to the "treble head", the bass on HZ Mirror was sufficient. I really liked Hola.

Yet, Hexa made a strong impression of being nearly lifeless, so lean in bass that even Dioko would feel as engaging and warm by comparison (Dioko is dear to me as a great reference point, and not so much an IEM that I would ever listen for hours).

I now totally understand the reports of many selling their Hexa, and those moving from Moondrop/Truthear "house tuning" overall.

Ironically, especialy dry the sound felt using the "updated" Shio - almost yikes...
E44 worked a bit better; warmer sources, especially emphasizing midbass, like Sonata III and BHD, may work even better, but I just already designated Hexa to the "depth of the drawer" for its tuning. "Burning" few hundred or thousand hours is not an option, sorry, especially after X7 fiasco.
Marked those "reviewers" that promoted/hyped Hexa.

Well, the hype of the past is thin as its sound, we can now "truth-ear- fully surmise...
Not a burn in believer, but i guess burn in might improve the bass? My first impression of Hexa is bass sound like BA, but after awhile it sound more dynamic (to my ears of course). You might want to try a deeper insertion.

May 1, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #77,897 of 106,566
Tripowin Altea - Does anyone recommend it for the SIMGOT EA500? Or Tin C21682980466224.png
I have no idea? I don't have either, but I have this one strapped to my Vsonic VS3 because it tends to tame the treble some. The VS3 can be a bit energetic, but it's really well synergized with the Altea, which is an absolutely fantastic budget cable.

May 1, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #77,898 of 106,566
The purity of materials and build make a difference. I swear I could hear a difference between my cheap Hibiscus cable and the $160 Han Sound? Though still it could be suggested bias? There is no way to tell without blind tests, though both cables did what I was after with OCC. As far as purity ratings they are a generalization and not always accurate.
1B82C3C9-0B7E-4869-AC6D-082AE75EF102.jpeg
The resistivity difference is nearly non-existent past 4N.
Surely, "hearing palladium cables", which are so much worse in their electrical properties compared to 2N or 3N may develop "special" reviewer/promoter/sh...er abilities - understandably any blind tests would be suicidal...

After all, with the recent so positive impressions of "lanthanides" and brass, thisee provervial hangcoater wires would be indeed even more special alloy besting the best :)

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #77,899 of 106,566
Just to say that the Simgot EA500 has made an impression on me like the cheapo Blon 03 did years ago. It is a masterpiece of tuning, to me. Extremely musical, high quality bass, great vocals and even good technicals. Bargain. All from a DD.
The EA500 wins on so many sectors of replay. The briskness of its nature, the stage....and that memorable bounce it performs daily with out hesitation!

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #77,900 of 106,566

Akros comparison of XSL X-One vs Tipsy TTROMSO vs Reecho SG03s vs Hakugei SEAELF​

This caused me to get out my TTROMSO today. They really are a great set. The Legato has basically superseded these as a bass focused set in my collection but I must say that the TTROMSO has a bit more mellow and controlled sound. Legato sounds more open and has bigger sub-bass but TTROMSO has the edge in mid and upper mid presentation.

I wonder what if anything Tipsy is up to these days? These had a lot of promise. No follow up, Tipsy??

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #77,902 of 106,566
Not real news to many, yet I finally (really long tumultuous story) got my Truthear Hexa:
20230501_194429.jpg
Partially impressed, but not overall impressed at all would be a summary.
What is impressive - the resolving detail-oriented treble, one of the best I ever experienced.
Then, overall, the dry nearly lifeless signature is surprisingly not impressive and not engaging.
I am close to the "treble head", the bass on HZ Mirror was sufficient. I really liked Hola.

Yet, Hexa made a strong impression of being nearly lifeless, so lean in bass that even Dioko would feel as engaging and warm by comparison (Dioko is dear to me as a great reference point, and not so much an IEM that I would ever listen for hours).

I now totally understand the reports of many selling their Hexa, and those moving from Moondrop/Truthear "house tuning" overall.

Ironically, especialy dry the sound felt using the "updated" Shio - almost yikes...
E44 worked a bit better; warmer sources, especially emphasizing midbass, like Sonata III and BHD, may work even better, but I just already designated Hexa to the "depth of the drawer" for its tuning. "Burning" few hundred or thousand hours is not an option, sorry, especially after X7 fiasco.
Marked those "reviewers" that promoted/hyped Hexa.

Well, the hype of the past is thin as its sound, we can now "truth-ear- fully surmise...
If you think Hexa is dark, the Hexa is bright compared to how I EQd my BL-03.

May 1, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #77,903 of 106,566
Not a burn in believer, but i guess burn in might improve the bass? My first impression of Hexa is bass sound like BA, but after awhile it sound more dynamic (to my ears of course). You might want to try a deeper insertion.
IMHO, if you listen for the whole day, go to bed, listen again the next day, and you still hate an IEM, then there is nothing to change it, unless you didn’t manage to get a good seal with stock ear tips.

May 1, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #77,904 of 106,566
Personally I like a pure copper cable on EA500 This one is hard to beat at $15 sale price!

C$ 128.44 45%OFF | NiceHCK PurpleSE Imported 8 Core FURUKAWA Copper Upgrade Cable 3.5/2.5/4.4mm MMCX/0.78mm 2Pin For Stardust M5 Starsea P1 MAX
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLZRCes

Personally I like a pure copper cable on EA500 This one is hard to beat at $15 sale price!

C$ 128.44 45%OFF | NiceHCK PurpleSE Imported 8 Core FURUKAWA Copper Upgrade Cable 3.5/2.5/4.4mm MMCX/0.78mm 2Pin For Stardust M5 Starsea P1 MAX
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLZRCes
Wow that cable is to expensive...

Check this store instead

€ 19,42 89%OFF | NiceHCK PurpleSE Imported 8 Strands FURUKAWA Copper Earphone Replace Cable 3.5/4.4mm MMCX/0.78mm 2Pin For Timeless S12 Zetian
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mL6lhQk

May 1, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #77,905 of 106,566
I used Clarion tips, I now switched to wide-bore stocks - even more distinctive treble that totally dominates. So the seal with the arion is there; deeper insertion is scary/hurtful for my fairly narrow ear channels.

I have so many all-,BAs that sound so more bassy than Hexa: T800, AST, ASX, AS12, AS16 pro, etc.
Also not that much present deep bass with my Hexa based on my organ reference music (OK, but nothing special).

My Hexa is the "second batch", after it was sold out and placed on the backorder, if it matters.

If you think Hexa is dark, the Hexa is bright compared to how I EQd my BL-03.
Prominent treble and lacking bass would be the epitome of a brighter signature.
Where did I made an impression that Hexa is "dark"?
BL-03 is definitely warmer due to its midbass, and can be enjoyed for hours :)

May 1, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #77,906 of 106,566
This caused me to get out my TTROMSO today. They really are a great set. The Legato has basically superseded these as a bass focused set in my collection but I must say that the TTROMSO has a bit more mellow and controlled sound. Legato sounds more open and has bigger sub-bass but TTROMSO has the edge in mid and upper mid presentation.

I wonder what if anything Tipsy is up to these days? These had a lot of promise. No follow up, Tipsy??
I totally agree with the above statement. Where the 7Hz Legato is just more, and slightly diffuse and wild in the bass department. Yet both are offering the same general experience. Yes, Tipsy is missing in action, and they offer such a spectrum of products?

The TTROMSO offers a more controlled environment, yet the pure size of everything with the Legato seems to tug on my emotions more?

But both need to be catered to as far as cables and source playback, at least to hope and discover a level of balance due to left alone both IEMs tend to go off the deep end bass-wise? Yet when corralled into place, both are totally fun and offer a vacation from the Harman Corporation.

May 1, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #77,907 of 106,566
I used Clarion tips, I now switched to wide-bore stocks - even more distinctive treble that totally dominates. So the seal with the arion is there; deeper insertion is scary/hurtful for my fairly narrow ear channels.

I have so many all-,BAs that sound so more bassy than Hexa: T800, AST, ASX, AS12, AS16 pro, etc.
Also not that much present deep bass with my Hexa based on my organ reference music (OK, but nothing special).

My Hexa is the "second batch", after it was sold out and placed on the backorder, if it matters.

Well. You tell me. What signature do you think this EQ has from looking at it yourself?

graph (9).png

May 1, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #77,908 of 106,566

yup, sound sig preference matters.
and sometimes your preference might be a bit different with some of the "big name" in audiophile review world.

Personally prefers good bodied, a bit warm (need for that growl), focal forward with good but not overwhelming bass slam and natural if a bit polite treble.
its closer to what HBB like but a further away from some others like Timmy like.

i was on the fence with Hexa, afraid that it might be abit anemic, fairly thin and sparkly for my taste.
might find time for auditioning it when stores open again, there is a big holiday here.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #77,909 of 106,566
Well. You tell me. What signature do you think this EQ has from looking at it yourself?

graph (9).png
what the hell is this, warm bassy like your blon

May 1, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #77,910 of 106,566

graph (9).png
I do not do equalizing and do not leverage my judgement on the linear sweep frequency responses, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back