The discovery thread!
Jan 21, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #71,551 of 101,589
Haha, the bad news (or maybe good news depending on which side of the fence you sit on?) is that in a few days time, it is Chinese New Year. Factories and logistics are closed for a couple of weeks for a massive holiday in China.

So we probably will not see any KZ pokemons hatching from their eggs for some days. These few weeks might be the DROP JVC Pokemon spam release though, so maybe Japan-FI for a change?

Yep, also brings us to the next point, it might be wise not to buy gear from China these couple of weeks. The orders won't flow thru till much later, and there will be a mega logistics backlog thereafter.
GouLou.jpg

First year I didn't mind (too much) waiting a couple hours for my order, for Chinese New Year.

Took out the LZ A7 and the Xenns Mangird Tea 2, with my FiiO BTR7. While the A7 can hold it's own, in an A:B, the Tea 2 wins hands down, for:
Soundstage (width & height)
richer, a good analogy is the difference between a Solid State & Tube amp.
What do you guys think of these sites that purport to put a recording signature of an IEM that you can listen to?
I mean we all use different sources and transducers while trying to listen to these site's recording signatures, so that in itself will skew the FR and give different colouration.

Considering how many potential washes occur between the author's rig and the host site's compression and our individual audio chain; I wouldn't give this anymore merit than a frequency response chart. It can get you to the show, but it doesn't put you in the car or allow you to experience the torque.

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #71,552 of 101,589
QKZ x HBB Khan review is out:

I read both his english blog (linsoul affiliated) and original Japanese blog (HifiGo affiliated), and noticed there is a difference in review “tonality”. On English blog it had “so-so” ish safe coverage with adequate wordings. But in original Japanese context, I read”you’d better off on DQ6 (actually DQS, the $12 one latest gen Single DD of KZ ) than Khan” from this author.

Context: It’s a free sample provided for review, and this author has tendencies not disclosing bad impression on those, except something utterly far from his preference such as TRN X7.

I know this author is highly monitor sounds lover, and from that aspect I probably would pass Khan off my radar from the comment “you’d better off for DQS“ from someone presumably very far from liking DQS’s tuning🤔

TL; DR

Given the context that is a commercial blog that can’t say “nay” to free samples, I bet the wording “There is almost no need to choose” is a “nay”
Another QKZ Khan review is out.

Wow! Very rare to see “hard to recommend “ type critical comments from this reviewer.

He hardly give any critical review comments on most of his reviews.

quote for TL;DR
=============================
The low range produces a rich and thick sound. The mid-bass is slightly warm and somewhat reverberant, but there is a large valley between the two drivers, giving the impression that the sound is completely separate from the mid- and high-range. I'm out. Heavy bass also has a heavy feeling, but the depth is a general impression. Nonetheless, it has a tight and speedy feel overall, and since it sounds in harmony with the cool mid-high range, I think it's a tuning that can be enjoyed mainly for vocal songs such as rock and anime songs. As for fidelity to the original sound and HiFi, some people say, "What's so good about that?" (laughs).

■ Summary

QKZ x HBB Khan ” was an earphone that was difficult to evaluate personally. If KZ/CCA had a sound like this, I might have written something completely different, but I think, ``Well, it's QKZ, and considering the character, this kind of perversion is more convincing.'' What I can say for sure is that you shouldn't expect it to sound like "Trutear x Crinacle ZERO".
It's true that this is not a product for everyone, but enthusiasts who want to enjoy 2DD sound that is a bit out of the ordinary with low-frequency richness will buy it for the time being and enjoy the transformation.
============================

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #71,553 of 101,589
Just saw that set for $159 on Drop.
Peaked my interest.
Normally I don't look nor do I really care about graphs and yet here I am looking at the graphs on crin and started to compare with sets I own.

Now, I am most likely ignorant or seeing things differently from those who live and breathe FR...

I own the TRN V90 and that graph is a spitting image of the OH10 --- at least my ears would not detect those fine differences.

Then again, maybe it's just me...

Cheers.
The TRN V90 is outclassed by the OH10, many times over.

Sorry, my head is only thinking about tomorrow's feast, so my analogy is a clay pot, rice 😋
If you don't have an appreciation for the goodness at the very bottom, then stick with the V90. Now if you have soup spoon in hand and ready to dig in, get the OH10.

On AE (without a sale) the OH10 is $116.62 USD, from IKKO Lot Store; that's where I got my set from, a couple months back.

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #71,554 of 101,589
The yawn comes off incredibly condescending to me. The intent of my point is to advocate for more variety in the budget/beater bracket, now that companies are serious about tuning at a low price.

My point was not about being dismissive. If someone can/wants to only spend $50, that’s not some character flaw and they shouldn’t be low-key insulted for that.
The yawn comes from my boredom with this price bracket. You can buy whatever you want at any price bracket. What I do pick up is that you are a very sensitive commentor who likes to play "white knight" with companies. Quite often. I'm not attacking you whatsoever for your budget bracket choices. The YAWN was for my own boredom with the budget pokemon released weekly and daily.

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #71,555 of 101,589
The yawn comes from my boredom with this price bracket. You can buy whatever you want at any price bracket. What I do pick up is that you are a very sensitive commentor who likes to play "white knight" with companies. Quite often. I'm not attacking you whatsoever for your budget bracket choices. The YAWN was for my own boredom with the budget pokemon released weekly and daily.
That sure is going out of your way to miss my point. I am also very bored with the state of where the budget market is at, and I'm advocating for companies trying to be less safe. It's not about defending any company at all. You may not think it's important to advocate in this budget area because you're over it and don't want/need to buy from it anymore and that's absolutely valid. I don't want to buy the fifth (or tenth) Harman-neutral clone either. But I would love for a company to be bold enough to release a diffuse-field style tuning (and whether anyone else enjoys KBear Storm or not, I do enjoy it for that). I would love to see someone pull a warmer-neutral tuning like the Dark Magician or Fan 2 further down into the budget range, which is why I'm trying out the Simgot EA500 (which while not in the $20 budget mark is not really something you see in this range either). Considering how seriously companies took finding and exploiting a tuning that did work this past year, I don't see why they can't do that again in a less played-out target. If you somehow get "white knight" from that, you do you.

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #71,557 of 101,589
That sure is going out of your way to miss my point. I am also very bored with the state of where the budget market is at, and I'm advocating for companies trying to be less safe. It's not about defending any company at all. You may not think it's important to advocate in this budget area because you're over it and don't want/need to buy from it anymore and that's absolutely valid. I don't want to buy the fifth (or tenth) Harman-neutral clone either. But I would love for a company to be bold enough to release a diffuse-field style tuning (and whether anyone else enjoys KBear Storm or not, I do enjoy it for that). I would love to see someone pull a warmer-neutral tuning like the Dark Magician or Fan 2 further down into the budget range, which is why I'm trying out the Simgot EA500 (which while not in the $20 budget mark is not really something you see in this range either). Considering how seriously companies took finding and exploiting a tuning that did work this past year, I don't see why they can't do that again in a less played-out target. If you somehow get "white knight" from that, you do you.
I feel where your coming from, interested in hearing your impressions of the Simgot.
I asked for a sample to test but nope no YT chanel 😭 but I do like the fact it's trying to make a way less expensive DM.

KBEAR Rosefinch for sale:. - Just messing with you LOL!

No really I do.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1672625816502129/?mibextid=dXMIcH

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #71,558 of 101,589
Haha by buying that terrible IEM.
Not sure it is terrible. I have it and it has been previously discussed on this thread. Links below. It is the 2020 version that was previously discussed. The new version from last year's production is an updated design. Its sensitivity has increased from 101 db to 110 db and its treble peak at 2.2 k is now higher than the 4.2 k peak ( as shown on AliE graph). Treble dominated around 4k in earlier version.

I haven't heard the 2022 version but in the 2020 version, I thought the crossover had been done well and that bass was well-defined and better than other IEMs at the price. As Tzennn said, the treble is relaxed and laid back. I actually felt that it needed a BA to cover the treble better, but that's my taste, The DDs are LCP.

This review is on a new startup company I discovered on Taobao!
…Can this be the beginning of the budget take over?

Introducing Bamboo Forest Bird, ridiculous price for such Hi-Definition sound!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-16500889

Enjoy! :writing_hand::yum:

i have the Jinghong (Amazing if you will), i think my version is 2020.
it have peak around 2,2khz, 5khz, 8khz, not a harman iem as my first impression would be. it have a really good mid however, bass bleed to mid + early pinna make it quite foward in vocals and intimate soundstage, treble is too relax and laid back. Yeah not a bad iem, just not worth your money At the moment!
I think with some EQ, it will sound nice and it's driver is really capable
Also it don't sound like this, at all
graph.png

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #71,559 of 101,589
Not sure it is terrible. I have it and it has been previously discussed on this thread. Links below. It is the 2020 version that was previously discussed. The new version from last year's production is an updated design. Its sensitivity has increased from 101 db to 110 db and its treble peak at 2.2 k is now higher than the 4.2 k peak ( as shown on AliE graph). Treble dominated around 4k in earlier version.

I haven't heard the 2022 version but in the 2020 version, I thought the crossover had been done well and that bass was well-defined and better than other IEMs at the price. As Tzennn said, the treble is relaxed and laid back. I actually felt that it needed a BA to cover the treble better, but that's my taste, The DDs are LCP.

Looks like a wide diffusion style tuning🤔

The old 2020’s shell looks nice👀

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #71,560 of 101,589
Looking for a slight V-shaped signature in an affordable yet qualitative package? Even if the QoA Vesper are not « fresh news », this 1DD/1BA setup offers a warmish signature with the right amount of impact in the lower register and does not tickle your ears too much in the upper-mids region. It’s an USD 60ish set, but very well executed (special mention to the tight 2pin connectors). 40 hours of burn-in for the DD will do. Getting a good seal with appropriate tips is key and the stock cable does its job, even if an extra investment for a SPC or silver cable will enhance the experience. I repeat though, the stock cable is fine.

You can get the Vesper here https://qoa-audio.com/product/qoa-vesper/ or on AE (like I did)

QoA Vesper - aftermarket cable Satin Audio Hyperion 10x braid (not mandatory to enjoy the Vesper)
8F0C452B-603C-4AAD-8DE2-950FF9B5B2A5.jpeg
How does that Hyperion 10x sound? It is not too common to do an asymmetrical 10x as well as 4x and 8x and I only had one 10x cable.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #71,561 of 101,589
Looks like a wide diffusion style tuning🤔

The old 2020’s shell looks nice👀
2020 version isn't worth it, not sure about 2022 tho... It look really cool in real life, but cheap feeling sadly.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #71,563 of 101,589
The TRN V90 is outclassed by the OH10, many times over.

Sorry, my head is only thinking about tomorrow's feast, so my analogy is a clay pot, rice 😋
If you don't have an appreciation for the goodness at the very bottom, then stick with the V90. Now if you have soup spoon in hand and ready to dig in, get the OH10.

On AE (without a sale) the OH10 is $116.62 USD, from IKKO Lot Store; that's where I got my set from, a couple months back.
I am considering it...

...if it works with Jambalaya that is...

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back