The discovery thread!
Dec 30, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #70,141 of 102,958
EQ is definitely a very nifty option to have in the pocket, to improve on certain stock tuning flaws.

But I found that some drivers don't take to EQ too well, they distort with too much EQ. Better quality ones do take EQ decently though.

EQ can perhaps fix tonal flaws but unfortunately I don't think they can improve technicalities to make a $20 usd iem become a $2000 usd one?

Technicalities and timbre are partially related to the FR, but I don't think you can EQ away BA timbre for example. Or increase imaging tremendously via EQ. Micro details and soundstage perhaps can be changed with EQ to some extent.

But if EQ can fix all ills, why not just buy a $1 thrift shop IEM and EQ it to a TOTL IEM and call it a day?

Wow how is the battery life on this DAP?
It's standard Android battery life. About 12 hours with mp3 and about 9-10 with FLAC files? Not as good as my Sony A55 or Fiio, but certainly better than the Cowon, Opus, or Hiby.

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #70,142 of 102,958
Testing Quarks DSP
Personal purchase.

▶︎Confirmed DSP uses same driver as Quarks OG, not a mind blowing spec and not a Chu-class beater but certainly acceptable quality

▶︎When compared to Quarks OG, DSP has rounder upper mid gain, no specific female vocal emphasis that is noticeable from the OG. It also has sub-bass lift, however due to the physical limitations on the driver’s size, sub-bass could only reach to 50hz or so, below that it will be muffled. Not sure if this will be improved by burn-in. I didn’t burn Quarks OG as well so the impact is uncertain.

▶︎Good things about DSP are
① it can be directly hooked to PC/ any device that has USB-C port, and provide decent sound quality
②it has mic & play/pause, volume +/- in-line control, which works well, suitable for online meetings, chat, due to its shell size of a pea, the wearing comfort is better than already extremely comfortable airpods pro.

Play/Pause Glitch on some devices:
It could cause a hiccup of huge sine sweep to be produced when resumed playback (80db of huge spike).

③shell size, same to Quarks OG, the shell size is actually smaller than its ear tips. This enables Quarks as a gift option to one with small ears, aside from Quarks’s big sister Chu/Jiu.

The small shell size also enables side-sleeping, the spaces between housing and pillow surfaces is pretty secured. A battery worry-free sleeping chatter tool it would serve as well.

④It cones with carrying pouch! Great.

⑤ More pleasant tuning than Quarks OG, a gain spot dip type, so modern music with high gain and harsh electronic effects would sound more contained and neutralized than emphasized.

The USB-C cable finish is quite nice, hope Jiu and Chu to come up with same options, and hopefully lighting jack finish as well.

P.S.
It seems the series of off-topic discussions are moderated, thanks Mods!

My apology for derailing for off-topics, and going forward I’m not gonna waste my life on said youtube reviewers anymore, just let it be and time will decide justice/injustice.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #70,143 of 102,958
Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #70,144 of 102,958
Thanks. I am trying to better understand how the graphs relate to actual performance. So your comments relate to the graph for the "Amazing"? So with those dips at the top end, we lose a sense of detail and fullness at the top end and the peaks that occur don't compensate for that. This would fit my listening experience.
4:40, this man said it, emphasis 5k with de-emphasized treble make it harder to listen to

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #70,145 of 102,958
So in this last day before new year, i would like to share my memorable findings along 2022:

I didn't buy a lot of things, but the ones that i bought and happy with them are:
- Topping G5 - i bought this to replace my ageing Centrance BlueDAC, not that it needed replacing in the first place as it still sounds great and perform well, but i decided to buy a new unit to keep up with the new tech (usb c, newer codec, etc). Overall the Topping G5 is a great buy and I'm happy with it.

-Raptgo Hook X - i tested it before and really like it, but i didn't buy it initially because i don't want to add more to my collection. But in the end a friend of mine asked if i want to barter his Raptgo with my BlueDAC, so i did. It was definitely a win-win solution for the both of us. This ended up as one of my most used IEMs this year.

-KZ EDA pack - this is definitely a blind purchase, but ended up being surprised. I like all three of them, each for different uses, and tuning wise i even prefer this trio even to other budget heavy hitters like CRA and Salnotes Zero.

- CCA CRA and Salnotes Zero - Even if i preferred the EDAs more, i still think these two are exceptional, performing way up compared to the price i paid for.

Now for things that i found/auditioned and really like along this year are:
-ZMF Aeolus - might not be the most detailed sounding headphones, but the tuning i really like.
-Planar IEM gangs: Timeless, S12, S12 Pro, Hook X, P1 Max, Talos.. I like all of them. The only exception would be the Stellaris, and also some planars that i didn't remember (Kinera if i remember correctly).
-Sennheiser E600 - great sound and technical performance, regardless the driver count.
-7th Acoustic Supernova and Proxima - Supernova tuned similar to the M9 and also performed in similar class, while the Proxima is similar to the ER4XR while having a much better fitting. I haven't heard this company before and surprise that it is in fact from my own country.
- Truthear Hexa - one of the last find of this year. Clean and inoffensive tuning. I'd buy this in a heart beat if i don't have my collections already.
- KZ AS16 Pro - This is also a surprise find. It's one of those IEMs that most of my friends that tried it would guess the price higher than the real price. I'd say it has a "baby U12T" sound sig...Great for stage monitoring on a budget.

I think that's it for this year.. I did tried and tested some more, but mostly not something to my liking or good, but not memorable enough.

All in all, i would like to wish you all a happy new year, and hopefully a more exciting year in our audio hobby!

Dec 31, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #70,146 of 102,958
So in this last day before new year, i would like to share my memorable findings along 2022:

I didn't buy a lot of things, but the ones that i bought and happy with them are:
- Topping G5 - i bought this to replace my ageing Centrance BlueDAC, not that it needed replacing in the first place as it still sounds great and perform well, but i decided to buy a new unit to keep up with the new tech (usb c, newer codec, etc). Overall the Topping G5 is a great buy and I'm happy with it.

-Raptgo Hook X - i tested it before and really like it, but i didn't buy it initially because i don't want to add more to my collection. But in the end a friend of mine asked if i want to barter his Raptgo with my BlueDAC, so i did. It was definitely a win-win solution for the both of us. This ended up as one of my most used IEMs this year.

-KZ EDA pack - this is definitely a blind purchase, but ended up being surprised. I like all three of them, each for different uses, and tuning wise i even prefer this trio even to other budget heavy hitters like CRA and Salnotes Zero.

- CCA CRA and Salnotes Zero - Even if i preferred the EDAs more, i still think these two are exceptional, performing way up compared to the price i paid for.

Now for things that i found/auditioned and really like along this year are:
-ZMF Aeolus - might not be the most detailed sounding headphones, but the tuning i really like.
-Planar IEM gangs: Timeless, S12, S12 Pro, Hook X, P1 Max, Talos.. I like all of them. The only exception would be the Stellaris, and also some planars that i didn't remember (Kinera if i remember correctly).
-Sennheiser E600 - great sound and technical performance, regardless the driver count.
-7th Acoustic Supernova and Proxima - Supernova tuned similar to the M9 and also performed in similar class, while the Proxima is similar to the ER4XR while having a much better fitting. I haven't heard this company before and surprise that it is in fact from my own country.
- Truthear Hexa - one of the last find of this year. Clean and inoffensive tuning. I'd buy this in a heart beat if i don't have my collections already.
- KZ AS16 Pro - This is also a surprise find. It's one of those IEMs that most of my friends that tried it would guess the price higher than the real price. I'd say it has a "baby U12T" sound sig...Great for stage monitoring on a budget.

I think that's it for this year.. I did tried and tested some more, but mostly not something to my liking or good, but not memorable enough.

All in all, i would like to wish you all a happy new year, and hopefully a more exciting year in our audio hobby!

leaving out of this classification all my DIY:

Within what I tried this year, which were many gears thanks to @Charlyro222 , my favorites are these:

IEM: VE Grand Duke (DD), Rapgo Hook X (wonderful planar, thanks @samandhi ), also noteworthy Softears Volume.

headphones: AKG K702 in open (modify it) and Beyer DT150 in closed (modify it)

Buds: VE Asura pure white, for me the best bud I've heard and VE Zen SU which is in second place IMO.

Sources: the best tri TK2 and megatron, by 2023 I will have to look for a DAP, so I read your opinions of the ibasso DX170 carefully.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #70,147 of 102,958
new year.jpeg

New Year's Eve my friends with some of my favorite audio gear!!

Audeze Euclid, HiBy RS2, A&K SE200, Unique Melody Mext, and Oriolus Szalayi

Thanks to all the brands that have supported me this year!! To new beginnings now 🙂

Happy new year everyone!!

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #70,148 of 102,958
A wild Zeos Shilltera appeared!

https://www.linsoul.com/products/kinera-nanna-2-1-z-tune-edition/?sca_ref=234264.UaQArZ72na

900-950 Pokedollars is too much bro, also that branding on the left piece looks like a sticker sold on Zeos's merch store.

Wouldn't be surprised if the current product image is a placeholder of some sort, I don't think anyone is going to like that Zeos logo slapped on the faceplate

Yeah really easy hard pass good luck in selling out this one.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #70,150 of 102,958
Congrats to @ChrisOc, who has the AKG N5005 coming his way. My brotha, you are going to LOVE these! I know I do!
Count me in as another one who is in love with the AKG N5005's!
I have been following them since their release and always wanted to try them and then recently was able to steal them for the new 199 asking price.
They're amazing and get better and better as time goes by. I found that by using the FLC8s tips they get even better in the mids and treble region. This is as close to end game as I've ever found. I thought it was a myth but now I'm not so sure.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #70,151 of 102,958
. This was an interesting clip. He finally showed his face. Not trying to get him attention for his antics but rather feedback on his information he is discussing. Interesting but I am not informed enough. Looking for check on his facts.

Love him or hate him, the evidence is pretty damning against The Headphone Show. It's sad that he had to retort to stealing.

Dec 31, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #70,153 of 102,958
Count me in as another one who is in love with the AKG N5005's!
I have been following them since their release and always wanted to try them and then recently was able to steal them for the new 199 asking price.
They're amazing and get better and better as time goes by. I found that by using the FLC8s tips they get even better in the mids and treble region. This is as close to end game as I've ever found. I thought it was a myth but now I'm not so sure.
I have been tracking mine like a man whose wife is expecting a baby.

Out of his control, he did his part nine months ago and now there is nothing he can do but sweat it out and wait.
😓😓😓😓😓

Dec 31, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #70,154 of 102,958
Happy new year everyone, it's actually 2:30am on me already. Hello people from the past. My neon still don't know how long untill i get it, Tanchjim Zero is 2 days away

Dec 31, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #70,155 of 102,958
Yeah really easy hard pass good luck in selling out this one.
Good luck selling ANY. This is more ridiculous than the whole HBB + Yanyin Mahina for $700. I wonder how many of those they sold?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back