The discovery thread!
Dec 31, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #70,156 of 106,594
Anyone heard of this company?
Canpur? I posted about them back in April:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-16314349

I believe the Canpur Deep Blue IEM body is the same design as Reecho SG-03, so maybe they've sourced the body from the same company, or one is supplying the other? Driver must be different though, since I would not say the Deep Blue have excessive bass like the SG-03.

The Canpur website is based in the Netherlands, and part of the company is located there:

http://www.canpuriem.nl/front/gywm/index/4

Canpur In-ear Tec Bv is the new company which just registered in Netherlands. And also belonging to the Chinese factory Hearcad Hearing Technology Co.,Ltd.

The Canpur Bvmain function is to sell the Canpur brand in-ear monitor in Europe market and to make better communication of TEC cooperation with the Sonioncompany TEC office in Netherlands.

Our team absorb the research and development talents who have focused on medical product technology in the national well-known hearing aid companies for more than 10 years. As the distributor of German EnvisionTEC and Danish 3Shape products, we are proficient in master 3D printing and 3D scanning technology. By redefining the music earphones from the standpoint of 3D cavity design of the hearing aids and audiology, we protect customer’s hearing when they enjoy the melodious music.

Dec 31, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #70,157 of 106,594
. This was an interesting clip. He finally showed his face. Not trying to get him attention for his antics but rather feedback on his information he is discussing. Interesting but I am not informed enough. Looking for check on his facts.

So we have Sharur complaining about BS in another channel. ROFLMAO

The concept of him being plagiarized is hilarious, anyone with half a clue totally ignores him. Take note of the accuracy he is claiming on an extrapolation of someone else's FR graph. He is consistent though. Everyone else is a fool and only he has the answers. Frankly a reliable contraindicator of peer review consensus.:rolling_eyes:

Dec 31, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #70,158 of 106,594
So we have Sharur complaining about BS in another channel. ROFLMAO

The concept of him being plagiarized is hilarious, anyone with half a clue totally ignores him. Take note of the accuracy he is claiming on an extrapolation of someone else's FR graph. He is consistent though. Everyone else is a fool and only he has the answers. Frankly a reliable contraindicator of peer review consensus.:rolling_eyes:
I actually was curious as to why he would show himself.

Dec 31, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #70,160 of 106,594
Love him or hate him, the evidence is pretty damning against The Headphone Show. It's sad that he had to retort to stealing.

I don't get this feud. Did they offend each other with name calling?

When it comes to facts surrounding what they are talking about, I'm nothing like an acoustic engineer that could form an opinion. Old school, I generally EQ with knobs or sliders and not with targets anyway. Graphs are useful for me to consume before I start fiddling with knobs or sliders. I let my ears tell me what sounds best.

Dec 31, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #70,161 of 106,594
So in this last day before new year, i would like to share my memorable findings along 2022:

I didn't buy a lot of things, but the ones that i bought and happy with them are:
- Topping G5 - i bought this to replace my ageing Centrance BlueDAC, not that it needed replacing in the first place as it still sounds great and perform well, but i decided to buy a new unit to keep up with the new tech (usb c, newer codec, etc). Overall the Topping G5 is a great buy and I'm happy with it.

-Raptgo Hook X - i tested it before and really like it, but i didn't buy it initially because i don't want to add more to my collection. But in the end a friend of mine asked if i want to barter his Raptgo with my BlueDAC, so i did. It was definitely a win-win solution for the both of us. This ended up as one of my most used IEMs this year.

-KZ EDA pack - this is definitely a blind purchase, but ended up being surprised. I like all three of them, each for different uses, and tuning wise i even prefer this trio even to other budget heavy hitters like CRA and Salnotes Zero.

- CCA CRA and Salnotes Zero - Even if i preferred the EDAs more, i still think these two are exceptional, performing way up compared to the price i paid for.

Now for things that i found/auditioned and really like along this year are:
-ZMF Aeolus - might not be the most detailed sounding headphones, but the tuning i really like.
-Planar IEM gangs: Timeless, S12, S12 Pro, Hook X, P1 Max, Talos.. I like all of them. The only exception would be the Stellaris, and also some planars that i didn't remember (Kinera if i remember correctly).
-Sennheiser E600 - great sound and technical performance, regardless the driver count.
-7th Acoustic Supernova and Proxima - Supernova tuned similar to the M9 and also performed in similar class, while the Proxima is similar to the ER4XR while having a much better fitting. I haven't heard this company before and surprise that it is in fact from my own country.
- Truthear Hexa - one of the last find of this year. Clean and inoffensive tuning. I'd buy this in a heart beat if i don't have my collections already.
- KZ AS16 Pro - This is also a surprise find. It's one of those IEMs that most of my friends that tried it would guess the price higher than the real price. I'd say it has a "baby U12T" sound sig...Great for stage monitoring on a budget.

I think that's it for this year.. I did tried and tested some more, but mostly not something to my liking or good, but not memorable enough.

All in all, i would like to wish you all a happy new year, and hopefully a more exciting year in our audio hobby!

Happy new year, discovery folks! It was fun.

This year was interesting to me, hobby wise, since I started to receive some support from manufacturers in terms of samples and reviewer discount. Without their support, I would never be insane enough to go out and buy all multiple sources to try. The differences and, at the same time, similarities between sources were eye-opening. Best sources this year? Shanling M6 Ultra and Fiio K7.

Best IEM this year to me is the one that I expected to dislike, JD7.
Yes, this is a sample that I received from Fiio to review. No, there is no incentive to push this IEM since even Fiio does not advertise them. It’s like they don’t want people to know there is a weird single-DD-in-FA7s-shell IEM to avoid confusion. Heck I even sunk extra money for bling bling cable and case to make the most of these IEMs. Best IEM below the Monarch II, IMHO.

My most surprising discovery is modern flathead earbuds. You know how we try very hard to find soundstage, natural tonality, comfort, resolution, etc.? Good flathead earbuds can give you all that at a fraction of IEM price. In fact, $200 is already considered TOTL in buds world, and boy do they trade blow with TOTL in IEM world. Have a try in 2023! They might be your end-game. Keep your eyes on Fiio and TGXear (made by our fellow head-fier @tgx78).

Small surprise: TWS can sound satisfying. I’m reviewing Fiio FW5. Yes, software is annoying. Yes, the fit might not work for some. But boy of boy they sound like a good semi-open IEM attached to an AKM DAP. The sound is so spacious and 3D that I can almost forgive the annoying software. Just almost.

. This was an interesting clip. He finally showed his face. Not trying to get him attention for his antics but rather feedback on his information he is discussing. Interesting but I am not informed enough. Looking for check on his facts.

I have only skimmed Resolve’s video, but I have absolutely zero interest in hearing anything from the PoS ER2SE shiller (or whatever he fancies nowadays). Now, I’m usually a moderate guy (I hope), so I allow myself an exception here :dt880smile: Btw, on one hand, we have people who have skin in the game, who actually build measurement rig with genuine equipments, who get in touch with Sean Olive all the time. On the other hand, we have a guy with running mouth (and an empty head). I know who to listen to.

But yeah, target is closely tied to the measurement tool. You can’t compare the graphs from different rigs, so you can’t compare graph against target from a different rig either. That’s why you need to be careful when using the autoEQ function on squiglink.

Harman IE target, for example, was built on an IEC711 coupler, so they have no conclusion above 10k, thus they sloped everything down. Knowles redo the experiment with new coupler that is accurate to 20k and found that you need to add a big bump in air region (a.k.a. 64 Audio TIA treble style).

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #70,163 of 106,594
In my opinion, YT is over saturated with IEM reviewers.
&
This is all the fault of miniDSP Ears. Now every uncle (why no aunts ?) is throwing up (double entendre intended) a review. While more is usually a good thing, it's getting to the point that some of the new class is smelling of influencer hopefulness; which dilutes the reverence that we have for the platform.

For 2022 I've "discovered" (thanks google algorithm) GizAudio and HiFri Audio (in probation).

[ETA] thanks @Carpet, forgot to add Paul Wasabii

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #70,164 of 106,594
In my opinion, YT is over saturated with IEM reviewers.
&
This is all the fault of miniDSP Ears. Now every uncle (why no aunts ?) is throwing up (double entendre intended) a review. While more is usually a good thing, it's getting to the point that some of the new class is smelling of influencer hopefulness; which dilutes the reverence that we have for the platform.

For 2022 I've "discovered" (thanks google algorithm) GizAudio and HiFri Audio (in probation).

[ETA] thanks @Carpet, forgot to add Paul Wasabii
Hi-Fri fills a strong niche in the hobby: Opening IEMs.

Outside of Hi-Fi, the only other person that I've seen opening IEMs is Michael Bruce.

Dec 31, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #70,165 of 106,594
Almost happy new year from USA!

Hope 2023 will be a great year for you all.

As Moondrop is making a new segment of wired IEM to PC/phones with DSP finish, this probably could get some new followers. I’ve been using Quarks DSP for year-end trip with family and found this simple solution is just very convenient and has huge potentials.

Hopefully more IEM brands offer modulated cable with DSP options(2.5/3.5.4.4/lightning/usb-c) in 2023.
Pic by Moondrop for Quarks DSP
0530F577-60F7-4A93-8C72-B3B0925AEC27.jpeg
6F8AD580-F438-498A-B3D5-E32FF76A3C03.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #70,166 of 106,594
My team wins by one point and I get notice a package is delivered to the wrong address. It was delivered to Marietta, Georgia. I live in Pearl, Mississippi. You know what? I don't care. Glued to Georgia/Ohio State game when it turned 23 in New York. Not yet 23 here. Happy New Year everyone. I am just happy to be here.

Jan 1, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #70,167 of 106,594
My team wins by one point and I get notice a package is delivered to the wrong address. It was delivered to Marietta, Georgia. I live in Pearl, Mississippi. You know what? I don't care. Glued to Georgia/Ohio State game when it turned 23 in New York. Not yet 23 here. Happy New Year everyone. I am just happy to be here.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1672433683989.jpg
    FB_IMG_1672433683989.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
Jan 1, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #70,170 of 106,594
HAPPY NEW YEAR HEAD-FIERS AND DISCOVERITES!! CHEERS TO A FABULOUS 2023 AND AURAL NIRVANA FOR ALL!!

p.s. The Zero Audio Carbo Tenore is superior to the Salnotes Zero, CCA CRA, and KZ DQ6. 'nuff said.

Linsoul....HURRY UP WITH MY ORDER!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back