The discovery thread!
May 23, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #102,946 of 106,636
I wholeheartedly agree! After a way too brief listening session I have to admit the DaVinci is everything I wanted it to be. I'd characterize it as tasteful bassy with smooth vocals and just the right amount of treble presence. It's my #1 iem of the year so far.

Hmmn.. how does aful explorer compare and differ from this?

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #102,947 of 106,636
I wholeheartedly agree! After a way too brief listening session I have to admit the DaVinci is everything I wanted it to be. I'd characterize it as tasteful bassy with smooth vocals and just the right amount of treble presence. It's my #1 iem of the year so far.
Our esteemed founder Jude endorsed them, so they have to be good. I have rarely seen him just endorse something willy nilly just because, unless he actually liked what he heard. Though he did say they bordered on being too bassy for his preference.

May 23, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #102,948 of 106,636
I very much enjoy the Z300. Excellent treble and decent stage and imaging, but I find the bass a bit middling in texture and speed, and the mids lack resolution, but for hip hop. pop, or classic rock, I find them quite enjoyable, plus the fit is really comfy for heavy metal shells.
They are very controlled and a truck load of sound for the money. :)

May 23, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #102,949 of 106,636
Unfortunately, I haven't tried the FiiO FF3. I don't have much experience with earbuds, to be honest. I remember using them when I was a teenager, but since then, I've only listened to one or two a year. I don't think it's ideal to compare them to IEMs, as IEMs tend to isolate sound better and usually offer more vocal clarity and treble extension. How does the FiiO FF3 sound? I'd consider getting one if you recommend it.

@Leonarfd has reccoed to me Venture Electronics Asura 3.0 FE earbuds. Just a few hours back.
Maybe you can look that up.

May 23, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #102,950 of 106,636
May 23, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #102,951 of 106,636
Earbuds are mostly an unexplored frontier for me, I just never got into them much because they were uncomfortable and I liked how in ear monitors sounded better. The most recent pickup I had in recent years was the VE Monk Plus and now the Moondrop U-2 out of growing curiosity, so I'm not in a position to recommend any.

I don't dislike the U-2, it's a fairly musical sounding set but just lacked enough detail to do any critical listening and the treble felt a little too dark at times where I had to lean on certain dac/amp synergies to bring it out to an acceptable level for me and at louder volumes. I just feel like the U-2 isn't offering me anything special aside from maybe the soundstage. I'm not writing them off just yet, I plan on continuing to use them as they are rather okayish to wear with the foam covers on. As far as recommending the U-2, I just don't know, I wouldn't feel good about it.
From 1989 (when I bought my first earbuds, which were some Kenwood buds with metal body. and I absolutely loved them! Those were amazing for the time, and I never found them again, even after they accidentally broke, because I had worn off the model #) to 2007, I bought and wore buds almost exclusively. Now I would own the random Sony headphone, but I never liked the uncomfortable mobility of headphones, so I owned Sony, Kenwood, Philips, Sanyo, and I'm sure i'm forgetting other brands. Then in 2007, I went to a FYE at the mall, and they had Skullcandy earphones advertised for the first time on a rack right at the entrance, for $6.99 on sale. An employee let me listen, and I was blown away by the small size, but the expansiveness and the BASS (yeah, in those days I was a basshead)! I bought a pair of Skullcandy Ink'd and the rest is history. I never went back to buds. IEM's from that day forward, but that buds journey was a really long one for many years.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #102,952 of 106,636
Not necessarily. I have much much more expensive IEMs, and even superior budget IEMs, but I keep reaching for the TRN ST7. Damn I love these things. They have my fullest rec. Listening to Clash - London Calling, and SO MUCH FUN!
Since you also like the niche NX7, how the ST7 compared to them? Same 7 drivers 😄

I'll share the descriptions (obtained from the component datasheets I believe) on the various DAC filters that I have available on my XD05 PRO.
They may help you understand.

IMG_6354.pngIMG_6356.pngIMG_6355.png
Oh thanks for this, can be helpful @o0genesis0o this maybe help you with the option of the filter

On a golf trip with some buddies and feeling a little under the weather so I’m sitting this round out. Great views with my compadre, Juzear Clear. This single DD and a little Martin Sexton will help the mood!
Got eagles and listening to eagles, those are happiness sir!

Senn is releasing a new HD620S headphone soon.

FB_IMG_1716509679758.jpg
FB_IMG_1716509686204.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS
Wearing Style / Principle: Wired headband, Closed-back
Transducer | Size: Single Dynamic | 42mm w/ 38mm diaphragm
Ear Coupling: Over-ear (Circumaural)
Ear Pad Material: Artificial leather
Impedance: 150Ω
Frequency Response: 6 - 30,000 Hz
THD: <0.05% (1 kHz / 90 dB SPL)
SPL: 105dB (1 kHz / 1 Vrms)
Magnetic Field Strength: 6.25mT
Weight: 11.5 oz
Cable: 6' cable w/ 3.5mm plug (includes 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter)

https://bloomaudio.com/products/sennheiser-hd-620s
Finally sub bass focused oversize headphones from Senns.
Sub bass focused headphones are rarity, there are some, but always come with bleeding mid bass, this also have little mid bass bleed but maybe acceptable not like my MDR-1Am2 which has tuck in bass but the bass shelf is up from 200hz that make the 100hz too much.
The AKG K371 is well tuned, but this HD620s looks great 👍🏻

May 23, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #102,953 of 106,636
Since you also like the niche NX7, how the ST7 compared to them? Same 7 drivers 😄
That one is tricky, because I like the NX7 III more than the IV. The reason for that is the IV, for all the tech, is super SMOOTHED over, so the excitement they used to have and honestly, brought them notoriety and helped launch NiceHCK, is missing in the IV, plus the CNT 2 DD bass of the III is wayyyyyy better and punchier and digs deeper without bleed than the more cumbersome bass of the coated BE 2 DD of the IV. The III has exciting highs, but the mids are a bit thin. The III and IV both have better extension on both ends than the ST7, but the ST7 whoops both of them in stage, imaging, and instrument separation, while the NX7 edges the ST7 in detail retrieval (especially the III). The fit is also nicer and more comfy in the ST7, so overall, I reach for the ST7 more than the NX7, but honestly, when I first got the III, they were in my ears for quite a few months. Then the left side QDC started getting loose, and now they can at times crackle, so I rarely use them.

TRN ST7 > NX7

May 23, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #102,954 of 106,636
That one is tricky, because I like the NX7 III more than the IV. The reason for that is the IV, for all the tech, is super SMOOTHED over, so the excitement they used to have and honestly, brought them notoriety and helped launch NiceHCK, is missing in the IV, plus the CNT 2 DD bass of the III is wayyyyyy better and punchier and digs deeper without bleed than the more cumbersome bass of the coated BE 2 DD of the IV. The III has exciting highs, but the mids are a bit thin. The III and IV both have better extension on both ends than the ST7, but the ST7 whoops both of them in stage, imaging, and instrument separation, while the NX7 edges the ST7 in detail retrieval (especially the III). The fit is also nicer and more comfy in the ST7, so overall, I reach for the ST7 more than the NX7, but honestly, when I first got the III, they were in my ears for quite a few months. Then the left side QDC started getting loose, and now they can at times crackle, so I rarely use them.

TRN ST7 > NX7

Thanks! About the CNT DD in NX7 mkII / mkIII I'm very agree. That CNT is impactful and have great depth. The good reviews of ST7 is sure interesting but yeah I have to limit myself, maybe I'll shoot my once in a month bullet for TRN Medusa first next month, the 12mm 3rd gen DLC driver is interesting.

...self control...

May 23, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #102,955 of 106,636
Thanks! About the CNT DD in NX7 mkII / mkIII I'm very agree. That CNT is impactful and have great depth. The good reviews of ST7 is sure interesting but yeah I have to limit myself, maybe I'll shoot my once in a month bullet for TRN Medusa first next month, the 12mm 3rd gen DLC driver is interesting.

...self control...
Pretty sure DaVinci has been carved on my June bullet lol! After that I think I'll save my next 5 bullets for 11.11. I still have the Doscinco and ZS10 pro 2 inbound.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #102,956 of 106,636
Alright, I think I'm turning into a cable fanboy.

But this is my last standalone cable I ever buy (unless I get the Maestro Mini and then need a dedicated blue cable if I don't use the NiceHCK Luna for it)

But as die hard LA Lakers fan...

Purple and Gold Xinhs cable got me going.
Nice cable. I got the ivipQ version.
Good stuff!

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #102,957 of 106,636
https://audio46.com/collections/memorial-day

Audio46 is having a sale where there are items on sale for literally $300+ dollars off. These are the guys who I bought my Sennheiser IE200 and IE600 off of, and they were righteous with backing up that Sennheiser warranty when my IE600 went kaput. Fast shipping. Nothing I want atm, but hey, maybe you'll get your dream TOTL for "cheaper"?

May 23, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #102,958 of 106,636
Pretty sure DaVinci has been carved on my June bullet lol! After that I think I'll save my next 5 bullets for 11.11. I still have the Doscinco and ZS10 pro 2 inbound.
ZS10 pro 2 + Coreir brass tips = FUN TIME, SUNSHINE!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back