The discovery thread!
Jun 12, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #63,332 of 99,850
Both the BAX and TA1 Max appear to have been good releases, so TRN doesn't appear to be asleep at the wheel in terms of tuning. The only graph we have so far is the one provided by TRN, but it doesn't appear to be anything wildly outside of "normal" tuning. We can't see how good the technical performance is from that however, which is probably the main reason you want a planar anyway. It does come with tuning nozzles, but the effect on fit with different length nozzles remains to be seen. It will be their first planar release, so that makes for a bit of an unknown. That however applies to every recent release other than Tin Hifi. The technology is certainly mature after use in full sized headphones for almost five decades. TRN Kirin is also the cheapest release so far.

We are only about a week out from the AE summer sales so unless review samples were distributed earlier, it's a blind buy. What it comes down to is "are you feeling lucky?"

There is a new planar brother to the Timeless coming soon and I think there was mention of Muse being retweaked after it's lukewarm reception. If you already have Timeless I'd wait for feedback and comparisons. If you do get it. We'd love feedback since you already have something to compare it to!
I've been waiting for the upcoming 7hz Sub-brand planar IEM too. Hoping its more sensitive. I use the Timeless with Hipdac, need something that can be driven with Apple dongle.

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #63,333 of 99,850
Interesting...
1655069343885.png

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #63,334 of 99,850
Speaking of tribrids. The Moonlights are the best things I have put in my ears all year. These things are superb in so may ways. This one is a longer un but due to the many comparos I did on the end. Its got the goods as far as sound goes. One of the most complete cohesive extremely well balanced and highly technical sounds from the tribrid forumla. Stupid high end sound from Yanyin.

DSC09926.JPG
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yanyin-moonlight.25905/

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #63,335 of 99,850
Speaking of tribrids. The Moonlights are the best things I have put in my ears all year. These things are superb in so may ways. This one is a longer un but due to the many comparos I did on the end. Its got the goods as far as sound goes. One of the most complete cohesive extremely well balanced and highly technical sounds from the tribrid forumla. Stupid high end sound from Yanyin.

DSC09926.JPG
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yanyin-moonlight.25905/

There’s so much buzz around these that I can’t help but be curious. I’ll have to scheme on hearing a pair soon.

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #63,336 of 99,850
Oh yea these are the real deal. I own earphones that cost almost 3X as much as these and I can see many just outright preferring these. The laws of diminishing returns start from these. Your actually getting a Flagship level sound quality in every way from these. Yanyin themselves has an actual flagship the Rosemary that uses 8 BAs and a bio dynamic. But I am having a hard time figuring out how those could actually be better than the Moonlights for less. But who knows, those are the only Yanyin IEMs I haven't heard.

The EST implementation on these things are masterful and their cohesion seamless. One of the best IEMs I have the pleasure of reviewing.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #63,337 of 99,850
Oh yea these are the real deal. I own earphones that cost almost 3X as much as these and I can see many just outright preferring these. The laws of diminishing returns start from these. Your actually getting a Flagship level sound quality in every way from these. Yanyin themselves has an actual flagship the Rosemary that uses 8 BAs and a bio dynamic. But I am having a hard time figuring out how those could actually be better than the Moonlights for less. But who knows, those are the only Yanyin IEMs I haven't heard.

The EST implementation on these things are masterful and their cohesion seamless. One of the best IEMs I have the pleasure of reviewing.

Wow. High praise. My interest is piqued.

Jun 12, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #63,338 of 99,850
8 ohm impedance means they will sound full on with everything you throw them on. But due to that sensitivity you have to watch out what you throw them on otherwise something as simple as a cell phone can drive these with full dynamics. Their balancing means they have supreme versatility. I was expecting these to be on the good as I haven't heard anything these guys make that is even remotely bad. Very consistent in how they tune earphones. These guys are not as big as the front runners in the industry but they tune like they are frontrunners in the industry.

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #63,339 of 99,850
8 ohm impedance means they will sound full on with everything you throw them on. But due to that sensitivity you have to watch out what you throw them on otherwise something as simple as a cell phone can drive these with full dynamics. Their balancing means they have supreme versatility. I was expecting these to be on the good as I haven't heard anything these guys make that is even remotely bad. Very consistent in how they tune earphones. These guys are not as big as the front runners in the industry but they tune like they are frontrunners in the industry.
Are these the ones listed for $700?

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #63,341 of 99,850
My detailed review of the QUESTYLE M15 is up here on headfi and HERE on my No Borders Audiophile blog.
Simply put, its the new high end dongle benchmark in term of hi fidelity rendering with lively dynamic.
It sound like having a portable SMSL SU9 DAC+SMSL SH9 THX AMP but with weightier dynamic, yet lower power output.

Pros:
-Clear and neutral sound with lively dynamic
-Excellent Pace, rythm and timing (PRaT) performance
-Great imaging with open spatiality
-realist timbre with good transparency
-weighty dynamic
-clean linear current amping
-gain switch
-more powerfull than the specs suggest (75mw@32ohm)
-doesn’t get hot or drown battery too fast
-best ES9281C DAC implementation i heard
-great balance between technical and musical audio decoding
-versatile pairing with high sensitivity and high impedance IEM
-unique geeky design for circuit board lover

Cons:
-while powerfull, it will struggle to drive very low sensitivity IEM or Headphones
-micro-definition isn’t the cleanest nor the sharpest
-bass and treble seem just slightly tamed
-glass cover can be scratched and is worrysome for durability
-protective case make it hard to use gain switch
Great review! I love the glass and LEDs on this thing, though it warrants a screen protector. Will you be testing the Moondrop Dawn or Tanchjim Stargate? I'd be curious of your take on those in comparison despite their relatively low price.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #63,342 of 99,850
Really enjoying the Hifiman RE800 - I'm on holidays at the moment and brought a few sets of earphones with me but this is the one I'm reaching for the most. They fall into a more 'polite' and relaxed tuning category but with very good detail and resolution - perfectly suited for some of my electronic music library. Comfort is absolutely fantastic, barely feel them in my ears - really like this bullet form factor, which definitely has me hungry for more! 634ears on the radar and I see @Ace Bee took the plunge last year, I could only see your post on the fact you ordered them - how have you found them since?

20220612_100043.jpg

Jun 13, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #63,343 of 99,850
Really enjoying the Hifiman RE800 - I'm on holidays at the moment and brought a few sets of earphones with me but this is the one I'm reaching for the most. They fall into a more 'polite' and relaxed tuning category but with very good detail and resolution - perfectly suited for some of my electronic music library. Comfort is absolutely fantastic, barely feel them in my ears - really like this bullet form factor, which definitely has me hungry for more! 634ears on the radar and I see @Ace Bee took the plunge last year, I could only see your post on the fact you ordered them - how have you found them since?

20220612_100043.jpg
thanks to @Ace Bee, I took the plunge on the Loak-T (CL) as well, B-stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back