The discovery thread!
Jun 10, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #63,316 of 100,708
Disclaimer, I'm not an Apple user, but I'm just saddened that Apple likes to launch proprietary connectors, such that one needs to spend more on these aftermarket proprietary adapters. Smells like a cash grab?
Well, huzzah. at least in EU, apple phone will use USB-C connection~!

Lightning is overdue for upgrade which i'm not sure why apple won't do it after it got outclassed by USB-C.
I guess Apple doesn't think its necessary?

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #63,318 of 100,708
It depends on what you consider to be 'one step'. The price to performance relationship in the sub $100 bracket is blurring quite quickly and KZ/CRA have a technically competent driver/housing that is setting them in a very strong position. Technically I consider most of the newer single DDs I've tried (Chu, CRA, CRA+, SG-01 OVA) all competitive for the price. My point is, it's not a night & day difference in peformance between the SG-01 OVA and the CRA+ that justifies double the price IMO but it is very natural, expansive and the shell is tiny and I will take comfort over subtle (imo) differences in technical performance.

@DBaldock9 I have the SG-01 OVA on a balanced CEMA UPOCC cable and I'm using Moondrops Spring tips that soften the higher frequencies just a tad.

Depending on how comfortable they are, and whether I can install tips to provide good isolation, they may end up as one of my "sleeping" earphones.

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #63,319 of 100,708
Of course it’s a cash grab, it’s Apple we’re talking about. Integrity is for the little guy.

For me, Apple bashing is neither here, nor there. Thing is, whether Apple or Android, I'm faced with the burden of having to buy a different phone in the absence of a lightning version. I can tell you right now, I'm not buying a new phone just to be able to use a USB-C dongle, no matter how good it is.

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #63,320 of 100,708
For me, Apple bashing is neither here, nor there. Thing is, whether Apple or Android, I'm faced with the burden of having to buy a different phone in the absence of a lightning version. I can tell you right now, I'm not buying a new phone just to be able to use a USB-C dongle, no matter how good it is.
Tbh, I would consider getting an Android if the USB-C dongle has a good signal-to-noise ratio and has a unique enough sound signature. There's enough cheaper droids out there, just use it like a DAP.

Jun 11, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #63,321 of 100,708
So the new Moondrop Dawn dongle has been launched: https://www.facebook.com/MoondropLa...WSoEA8T6TCpTDJ8vakyrfGcAFhvB8WcNcfSRGH8Ad1Kcl

287327553_1205658343527460_6172650598269259636_n.jpg

287157317_1205658363527458_6023545452532311930_n.png

4.4 mm only, quite interesting they are eschewing the commoner 3.5 mm unbalanced output that perhaps more mainstream consumers use, and straight away going for a 4.4 mm balanced output.

Dual CS43131 and supports DSD256 and PCM 32Bit/ 768kHz.

$69.99 USD

Interesting. Fiio is making something very similar. Just announced KA2
1654868016219.png

Tempotec has had a similar model, the E44, on the market for some time and it is one of their best products, as well as being among the best in sound. Just read the expert reviews (not just my opinion, of course).
It seems that they have managed to make the product cheaper, but without volume control, at least, that's what it seems.

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #63,322 of 100,708
The Real Audio Airship:

HBB said if this was released by FiiO, it would be the best thing they EVER released! Just so you know, FiiO has 20 IEMs currently in production and being sold as we speak.

https://www.linsoul.com/collections/all/products/seek-real-audio-airship

580C5271-8282-4FB9-99A6-4FA9C3309DA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #63,323 of 100,708
Disclaimer, I'm not an Apple user, but I'm just saddened that Apple likes to launch proprietary connectors, such that one needs to spend more on these aftermarket proprietary adapters. Smells like a cash grab?
To be fair, when the Lightning connector was released it was legitimately a better connector. But those days are past, it’s really long in the tooth, and Apple should have voluntarily transitioned to USB-C years ago.

Jun 11, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #63,324 of 100,708
Hey! It depends, first and foremost on the kind of tuning you like. Technical performance will be appreciated more if you first get along with the IEM's sound signature enough to listen and enjoy it. If you like more mid-bass and fuller-midrange than the Harman Target, you'll probably like NE5 more than IEMs like Moondrop Variations and Tanchjim Prism, which are tuned closer to the Harman Target and are more sub-bass focussed with a cleaner, more neutral lower-midrange presentation in comparison. So, where Prism and Variations are tuned to be bass boosted reference IEMs, NE5 is a more V-shaped fun-tuned IEM. Below is a comparison graph between NE5 and Prism to get an idea.

There are quite a lot of good IEMs around the $500 price segment - BGVP NE5, Moondrop Variations, Tanchjim Prism, Dunu SA6, TRI Starshine, etc. With a bit more moolah, you can get the Moondrop S8, A8, Softears RSV, ItsFit Fusion, etc, which are all a step up from the IEMs listed above (IMO) and can be found for around $500 in the used market if you're lucky. There is a Moondrop S8 for $450 in HF Classifieds right now.

So, lots of good options. If you give me an idea of the kind of signature you like and the specific budget, I can recommend the IEMs with good technical performance as per your preferences accordingly.
hahaha to be honest, I have too many iems and I am just collecting and wanting something fun hahahaha, I am a reviewer too, and I just came across this sometime last month. wanted to know more about it so came here looking for answers hahahaa.

I almost bought it to be honest, but just wanted to know more info about it. I heard most of the other options you mentioned but was looking for something fun and technical hahaha, something like Andromeda but more exciting kind of theme. Just wanna know what the ballers here think

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #63,325 of 100,708
I just connected the Moondrops Chu to the Tempotec E44 and my jaw hits the floor, good (uncolored) synergy. I almost forgot about that dongl. Moondrop knows what it's doing :wink:

Jun 12, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #63,326 of 100,708
Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #63,328 of 100,708
Jun 12, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #63,329 of 100,708
I'm thinking about the TRN Kirin. I already have the 7hz Timeless and love it, but I haven't had much luck with TRN in the past.
I was lucky enough the purchase the Linsoul gift card. Think it's worth a try compared to the other planars out?

Both the BAX and TA1 Max appear to have been good releases, so TRN doesn't appear to be asleep at the wheel in terms of tuning. The only graph we have so far is the one provided by TRN, but it doesn't appear to be anything wildly outside of "normal" tuning. We can't see how good the technical performance is from that however, which is probably the main reason you want a planar anyway. It does come with tuning nozzles, but the effect on fit with different length nozzles remains to be seen. It will be their first planar release, so that makes for a bit of an unknown. That however applies to every recent release other than Tin Hifi. The technology is certainly mature after use in full sized headphones for almost five decades. TRN Kirin is also the cheapest release so far.

We are only about a week out from the AE summer sales so unless review samples were distributed earlier, it's a blind buy. What it comes down to is "are you feeling lucky?"

There is a new planar brother to the Timeless coming soon and I think there was mention of Muse being retweaked after it's lukewarm reception. If you already have Timeless I'd wait for feedback and comparisons. If you do get it. We'd love feedback since you already have something to compare it to!

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #63,330 of 100,708
My detailed review of the QUESTYLE M15 is up here on headfi and HERE on my No Borders Audiophile blog.
Simply put, its the new high end dongle benchmark in term of hi fidelity rendering with lively dynamic.
It sound like having a portable SMSL SU9 DAC+SMSL SH9 THX AMP but with weightier dynamic, yet lower power output.

Pros:
-Clear and neutral sound with lively dynamic
-Excellent Pace, rythm and timing (PRaT) performance
-Great imaging with open spatiality
-realist timbre with good transparency
-weighty dynamic
-clean linear current amping
-gain switch
-more powerfull than the specs suggest (75mw@32ohm)
-doesn’t get hot or drown battery too fast
-best ES9281C DAC implementation i heard
-great balance between technical and musical audio decoding
-versatile pairing with high sensitivity and high impedance IEM
-unique geeky design for circuit board lover

Cons:
-while powerfull, it will struggle to drive very low sensitivity IEM or Headphones
-micro-definition isn’t the cleanest nor the sharpest
-bass and treble seem just slightly tamed
-glass cover can be scratched and is worrysome for durability
-protective case make it hard to use gain switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back