The discovery thread!
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #61,006 of 99,839
Hey guys! Here is my review of Tanchjim Prism feat. comparisons with Oxygen and some IEMs from Moondrop. I had quite the fun time taking it through its paces with my music library, especially when comparing it to other Harman Target tuned IEMs. Have a read and let me know if you have any questions for me. Cheers!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #61,007 of 99,839
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 28, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #61,008 of 99,839
Just received a TRN TA2 review unit.

994e98c9-e159-4eeb-a31b-47fa1cfc868f.jpeg

Accessories are very generous for TRN standards, I've seen their previous flagships include less stuff, so this is a marked improvement.

Included are:
1) TRN TA2 IEM
2) Round hard case
3) 1/4 inch jack
4) Cable - 2-pin 4 core silver plated OFC cable, thin and microphonic. The L/R markings on the distal terminal are also very small, so those with poorer eyesight might have difficulty identifying the sides! The cable disappointingly has no chin cinch.
5) Array of silicone and foam tips

ee29103b-8a27-4d22-b3da-5646f420777f.jpeg

The TRN TA2 is easy to drive, no amping is required. Isolation is good. The shells are quite wicked looking, this set is comfortable and ergonomic.

TRN TA2 Graph.jpeg

Graph courtesy of KopiOKaya from Audioreviews (IEC711 compliant coupler). 8 kHZ area is probably a resonance peak.

In a nutshell, this is an L shaped basshead set. Quite a far cry from the usual banshee shouty steroid infused treblehead TRN multi driver behemoths.

Bass wise, this set is midbass focused. The bass quantities are at basshead levels, with the subbass extending quite deep with a big visceral rumble. Unfortunately, bass quality is lacking, with the bass slow as a snail and the midbass bleeding quite a fair bit. This bleed encroaches into the other frequencies. The bass is one-noted and lacks texture. In view of the copious midbass bleed, the tuning is quite incoherent as the bass seems to be a step or 2 slower than the upper frequencies handled by the BA drivers.

Mids are depressed, with the upper mids featuring a 9 dB pinna gain. This set is not shouty at the upper mids, and this is quite atypical from the usual banshee TRN upper mids.

Treble is dark on this set and veiled. It lacks extension, with clarity and sparkle missing. Sibilance is minimal as such, but the lack of air suffocates music and microdetails are missing, and the TRN TA2 sounds quite analogue-like. So treble-sensitive brethren will like this, but trebleheads best stay far away.

BA timbre is also present in the upper frequencies.

Technicalities wise, soundstage is below average in all 3 dimensions. Imaging, instrument separation and micro details are below average too, this is not aided by the compressed soundstage.

TLDR: TRN has tamed their usual shouty banshee tuning and gone 180 degrees with a basshead non-fatiguing dark set. Bassheads and treble sensitive folk will probably feel at home, but for the others, the tuning might be too niche. Between a sawtooth fatiguing inducing set and a dark analoguish midbass bleeding set, I'd still take the latter. Unfortunately, technical performance on the TRN TA2 is below average, and I think this model might be forgotten in a few weeks' time, such is the speed of how fast the budget CHIFI industry moves.

Off hand, a similarly priced competitor, the KBEAR Robin, is also a bassy set with midbass bleeding, but the Robin has more treble air and better technicalities. Nevertheless, will burn in the TRN TA2, do tip rolling and report back, will try not to give up on it yet.

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #61,010 of 99,839
Hey guys! Here is my review of Tanchjim Prism feat. comparisons with Oxygen and some IEMs from Moondrop. I had quite the fun time taking it through its paces with my music library, especially when comparing it to other Harman Target tuned IEMs. Have a read and let me know if you have any questions for me. Cheers!

Thanks Animagus (Twister6), I always enjoy reading your reviews. As usual very helpful comparrisons. You have a solid ear. By the way, the Prism is on sale, $509 (from 600) at shenzhenaudio Linked.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #61,011 of 99,839
Thanks Animagus (Twister6), I always enjoy reading your reviews. As usual very helpful comparrisons. You have a solid ear. By the way, the Prism is on sale, $509 (from 600) at shenzhenaudio Linked.
Thank you! Oh yes, they have great discounts on quite a lot of cool gear in their 11.11 x Black Friday sale, which is ending in 13 hours or so.

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #61,012 of 99,839
Nov 29, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #61,013 of 99,839
Nice looking case.
Don't own one, but thought I'd share as first time I've seen it.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPr7ctG
Looks really good. You just gave me a reason to buy sth on AE. I was planning to skip BF offers...

Additionally : I read one review saying it has mediocre quality meanwhile the rest is positive. It looks good though from the photos.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #61,014 of 99,839
11.11 Care package III & IV: The heavy hitters
20211127_190513_HDR.jpg

I've been wanting to try the Hana 2021 and Timeless for a while now so having both come in together when I was at work during this black Friday weekend was a welcome surprise. Oh and the ZEX is also there...

Yes, that is a 7Hz 4.4mm cable that is not sold separately atm. It was supposed to be a combo deal of a 7Hz Timeless and a TRI Through but that one was not in stock so they offered me this one instead. Call me crazy but I do prefer having this cable over the TRI Through even though it might be a slightly lower quality.

This is the last 11.11 care package update, I promise.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #61,016 of 99,839
F23BFC17-E9B1-4877-AF51-9D3153A44542.jpeg

TKZK Wave finally arrived tonight, along with a XINHS 2-core SPC cable. Very comfy, form-fitting shells, especially once the stock tips have been ditched for foamies. I think they’re rather pretty myself.

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #61,017 of 99,839
AIAIAI audio has been improving their TMA-2 series of headphones, with multiple versions, and I bring you my full written review about the AIAIAI TMA-2 Studio headphones! This is a pair of comfortable, flexible and modular headphones that come packaged as if they were sold by IKEA

They sport a strong bottom end, but a balanced midrange, and a clean treble! With a ton of detail and good dynamics. I included comparisons with other hot topic headphones in today's review of the TMA-2 Studio, the headphone to beat the mighty HD-25 and at their own game

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/11/aiaiai-tma-2-studio-more-modular-enlightenment.html

AIAIAI-AI-TMA-2-Studio-TMA2-Headphones-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Comfy-Affordable-Cans-18.jpg

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #61,018 of 99,839
Nov 30, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #61,019 of 99,839
I’ve spent the day listening to the TKZK Wave.

D15832BE-AC8E-40A4-8054-478926A29D6A.jpeg

Crin said on one of his recent videos that just like with spoiled milk, one does not need to listen to a bad set for a long time to know that it’s bad. The TKZK Wave is… not horrible, but it’s a set that - whether due to its tuning or otherwise - shows its flaws all too quickly.

The good
  • Cheap (30 USD).
  • Looks good.
  • Comfortable fit.
  • Above average isolation.
  • Neutral bass, with sub-bass extension
The bad
  • Thin mids.
  • Flat guitars.
  • Intense upper mids.
  • Tizzy cymbals.
  • No soundstage to speak of.
  • What instrument separation?
  • Incoherent.
I’d rather listen to the Pioneer CH3, to be perfectly honest. The CH3 isn’t great in the mids either, sure, but at least it doesn’t sound as flat and grating as these do.

Next contestant: KZ ZEX Pro

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #61,020 of 99,839
PSX_20211130_220232.jpg

Just received this - Smabat M3 Pro. Gorgeous looking 3D printed earpieces and a tuning similar to that of ST10s. Not as good obviously but plenty enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back