The discovery thread!
Nov 24, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #60,976 of 99,347
Just finished writing the review of the Symphonium Helios
Quite an amazing IEM from a local brand that not many people would know

https://banbeu.com/symphonium-helios-kilobuck-treble-contender/

Symphonium-Helios-32.png

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #60,977 of 99,347
I'm trying to restrain myself from buying a new pair of headphones this year. However, it is impossible to resist. I wanted to give a chance to 7hz Timeless, which has become quite famous lately and especially thanks to Crinacle. This is my first planar sets in my collection. I'm critical of all reviewers and the same was true for Crinacle. But in order to have an idea, you have to have it. I ordered from Linsoul with great deal on 11.11.

The accessories are great. Especially the case! For the first time, I'm planning not put the case aside but really use it, keep the IEMs in it. This is a solid aluminium case. Very heavy, very secure. The included tips are also great and they come with their nice cases as well. Everything touches my eyes gently. The presentation is great.

20211124_141107.jpg

My first impression right out of the box was confirmation. I was keeping in mind the highlights of other reviews whether positive or not. I can say that if you can buy it for under $200, I would definitely say buy it without thinking! Definitely such a planar set of IEMs should be in your kit.

20211124_141441.jpg

What catches my attention is that it locks me up while listening to music and makes me drift away. It has a very lively presentation and I can now understand how planar drivers sound like. You are really into the music. It has a very interesting presentation that I still feel a little strange to recognize. Its soundstage is unique and you definitely need to give some time to understand its depth. So, I'd say brain burn in is required here, you need to get used to these and how they convey the sound.

They are full of micro detail and resolution. Details are conveyed to the end. There is a harmony in the music, the consistency is quite good. The tone is just as good.

Bass is quite adequate. But not at a bass head level. It rumbles very well, it can go deeper, it can move from one to the other quite agile. The mids are a bit recessive, but it is sufficient for me. I like female vocals more than male vocals on these. The notes are complete. As for the treble, the technicality is very good, giving it to the last bit. I don't have such a high end headphone, but I found the ultra high end really successful.
20211124_141522.jpg

Imaging is great. Timbre is great. Tonality is great. Soundstage is the interesting part. It seems like it lacks depth at the beginning but you need to give it some time to make yourself get used to it. The vertical and horizontal dimensions are very well but the depth is the interesting part that it sounds like not deep but it's actually good. For the sake of having that imaging, detail capabilities, i guess you should be okay with some minor cons.

I definitely recommend it. I totally agree with Crinacle's review. You should have one in your set.

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #60,978 of 99,347
I'm trying to restrain myself from buying a new pair of headphones this year. However, it is impossible to resist. I wanted to give a chance to 7hz Timeless, which has become quite famous lately and especially thanks to Crinacle. This is my first planar sets in my collection. I'm critical of all reviewers and the same was true for Crinacle. But in order to have an idea, you have to have it. I ordered from Linsoul with great deal on 11.11.

The accessories are great. Especially the case! For the first time, I'm planning not put the case aside but really use it, keep the IEMs in it. This is a solid aluminium case. Very heavy, very secure. The included tips are also great and they come with their nice cases as well. Everything touches my eyes gently. The presentation is great.

20211124_141107.jpg

My first impression right out of the box was confirmation. I was keeping in mind the highlights of other reviews whether positive or not. I can say that if you can buy it for under $200, I would definitely say buy it without thinking! Definitely such a planar set of IEMs should be in your kit.

20211124_141441.jpg

What catches my attention is that it locks me up while listening to music and makes me drift away. It has a very lively presentation and I can now understand how planar drivers sound like. You are really into the music. It has a very interesting presentation that I still feel a little strange to recognize. Its soundstage is unique and you definitely need to give some time to understand its depth. So, I'd say brain burn in is required here, you need to get used to these and how they convey the sound.

They are full of micro detail and resolution. Details are conveyed to the end. There is a harmony in the music, the consistency is quite good. The tone is just as good.

Bass is quite adequate. But not at a bass head level. It rumbles very well, it can go deeper, it can move from one to the other quite agile. The mids are a bit recessive, but it is sufficient for me. I like female vocals more than male vocals on these. The notes are complete. As for the treble, the technicality is very good, giving it to the last bit. I don't have such a high end headphone, but I found the ultra high end really successful.
20211124_141522.jpg
Imaging is great. Timbre is great. Tonality is great. Soundstage is the interesting part. It seems like it lacks depth at the beginning but you need to give it some time to make yourself get used to it. The vertical and horizontal dimensions are very well but the depth is the interesting part that it sounds like not deep but it's actually good. For the sake of having that imaging, detail capabilities, i guess you should be okay with some minor cons.

I definitely recommend it. I totally agree with Crinacle's review. You should have one in your set.

It is a giant-killer!

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #60,979 of 99,347
Nov 25, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #60,980 of 99,347
20211125_135823.jpg

IMR Splash Of Red vs. Dunu Falcon Pro:

So I got the Falcon Pro today for a quick listen. The unit was well burnt-in I believe, whereas my SOR was a fresh out of the box unit.

Firstly, I could not settle for anything less than the Transparency nozzle and the Whirlwind L sized tips. Yup, I am a treble-head. But honestly, this combo sounds the best. I’m not saying the other combos are bad, but just not to my preference.

On Splash Of Red I chose the Grey Nozzle and Blue upper filter combination - moderate bass and most treble.

Now, coming to the sound, I am going to note it down pointwise:

• Low end is slightly fuller on Falcon Pro. Slams feel a tiny bit more physical and decay is slightly slower. Subbass rumbles stay longer in the scene. However, SOR is not far behind. Bass slams equally hard, just feels a tiny bit leaner and cleaner, decay is slightly faster. On Falcon pro the bass sometimes may hint at colouring the mids, but on SOR it absolutely stays out of the mids’ way. Make no mistake, Splash Of Red has a quite physical low end with a very satisfactory thump - it is certainly not weak.
  • Lower mid is a bit fuller on Falcon Pro with polished upper mids. The details are well reproduced, however, the notes are quite smooth. Smooth and comfortable listening is Falcon Pro’s motto it seems. Separation is nice for the price and for a single DD. On occasions the mids may sound a bit veiled and dark. However, Splash Of Red is polar opposite - it brings life into the music! Lower mid has a very nice and full body, whereas the upper mids are sparkling and energetic! Male vocals sound equally impressive on both Falcon Pro and SOR, but female vocals are preferred to a larger extent on SOR. SOR plays the female vocals with considerably more energy and emotions. In general, SOR has noticeably higher transparency and air in the mid region than Falcon Pro - which aids in the perceived separation as well. Splash Of Red is most definitely aiming for an active listening session where the listener feels engaged and enlivened, whereas Falcon Pro has its modus operandi set on providing the listener a comfortable listening session - to kick back and relax with a healthy dose of music and nice bourbon. SOR notes have a sharper edge to them compared to Falcon Pro, which might introduce occasional peaks in harsh or sharp passages - but it never becomes noticeably uncomfortable. Falcon pro obviously handles these passages better by smoothening the edges, but it also eats the air. Acoustic string instruments sound incredible on both - slightly cleaner on SOR, slightly more organic and fuller on Falcon Pro.
  • Treble is where I prefer Splash Of Red more than Falcon Pro. It took me the transparency nozzle to bring out a treble that at least hints at my preference. I prefer a sparkling and airy treble - which the Falcon Pro does not have either with reference or atmospheric immersion nozzles. Transparency nozzle makes it brighter, but still not as much as I would like, but better than the others. Dunu tuned the treble of Falcon Pro a bit too safely to complete the comfortable presentation. Splash Of Red has no such constraints - it goes with its guns blazing in the high frequencies also. Bright, sparkling, airy treble that makes the listener go WOW from the very onset. However, in case I want to smooth it down, the other upper filters are at my disposal, but I certainly prefer it this way. The extension is very good, notes are crisp and details are not held bac Well, frankly, in spite of the smooth treble, Falcon Pro also does not lack in the details section of treble. Just the extension and air are compromised a bit.
  • Stage is where there is a distinct difference between the Splash Of Red and Falcon Pro. Whereas Falcon Pro has more stage height, SOR wins in width. Depth is mostly comparable on both, however, due to the laid back treble, stage of Falcon Pro mightbe perceived having a bit more depth. Splash Of Red has a noticeably more clean and transparent presentation, which, coupled with the wider stage makes it a pretty impressive experience from the get go. Separation feels to be better as well. Falcon Pro is not lacking much behind though - the experience is not very muffled, but compared to SOR the feeling of less transparency definitely lingers there.
So, that’s all. Both Splash Of Red and Falcon Pro are equally impressive, but it seems SOR is most certainly favoured by my preferences more. Also, I might be biased to it as well since it is my personal unit, so cut me some slack there.

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #60,981 of 99,347
IMR haters, assemble!

In 3... 2... 1...

(one doesn't mention IMR outside its dedicated thread without fear of immediate retribution.)

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #60,982 of 99,347
IMR haters, assemble!

In 3... 2... 1...

(one doesn't mention IMR outside its dedicated thread without fear of immediate retribution.)

The Splash of Red is quite interesting and I found it worthy enough to add to my signature unlike the now discontinued R1 Zenith, R2 ATEN and RAH which I have and think are pretty much expensive crap.

To me the strength of the SOR is in the tactile, solid feeling, sub-bass and the positional cues it gives, both of which are unique in my collection. There is a peak in the lower treble which makes the highs feel occasionally unnatural and brittle to me but it isn't bad enough to be a show stopper. They are quite forward sounding and there is a bit of frequency masking that goes on due to it as I find with many of the boosted upper-mids sets. Finally, despite these being supposedly single DD units, I sometimes get the feeling they still sport integrated piezo tweeters (although much better behaved than in the older IMR models I've heard).

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #60,983 of 99,347
The Splash of Red is quite interesting and I found it worthy enough to add to my signature unlike the now discontinued R1 Zenith, R2 ATEN and RAH which I have and think are pretty much expensive crap.

To me the strength of the SOR is in the tactile, solid feeling, sub-bass and the positional cues it gives, both of which are unique in my collection. There is a peak in the lower mids which makes the highs feel occasionally unnatural and brittle to me but it isn't bad enough to be a show stopper. They are quite forward sounding and there is a bit of frequency masking that goes on due to it as I find with many of the boosted upper-mids sets. Finally, despite these being supposedly single DD units, I sometimes get the feeling they still sport integrated piezo tweeters (although much better behaved than in the older IMR models I've heard).
I sent you a message regarding this -

Can you give a brief comparison between the FD7 and SOR, and if FD7 is better than the SOR, in what ways?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #60,984 of 99,347
I sent you a message regarding this -

Can you give a brief comparison between the FD7 and SOR, and if FD7 is better than the SOR, in what ways?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah I know, I forgot, sorry about that. Not too keen on making comparos for just one person by PM anyway and making detailed comparisons/analysis isn't too much my thing either.

Let's say that the FD7 is much closer to the sound you describe for Falcon Pro than it is for SOG but I do think the FD7 is the superior/better one, no contest. The FD7 is a smooth operator and SOG is a rather edgy, energetic and, to me, sometimes brittle set by comparison.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #60,985 of 99,347
Yeah I know, I forgot, sorry about that. Not too keen on making comparos for just one person by PM anyway and making detailed comparisons/analysis isn't too much my thing either.

Let's say that the FD7 is much closer to the sound you describe for Falcon Pro than it is for SOG but I do think the FD7 is the superior/better one, no contest. The FD7 is a smooth operator and SOG is a rather edgy, energetic and, to me, sometimes brittle set by comparison.
Does the FD7 sound more expansive, with more width, height, and depth of sound field than SOR?

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #60,986 of 99,347
Does the FD7 sound more expansive, with more width, height, and depth of sound field than SOR?

Not too sure about that in details, not my forte at all, but I certainly perceive FD7 as having an ample sound field generally speaking.

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #60,987 of 99,347
Is that a DAC/Amp stack in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 😏

Just received the Tri TK-2. Will be putting these to the test.

Overall, pretty impressed. Powerful, neutral, punchy tight bass, speedy transients, not dry or cold sounding like I expected it to be (thanks to the dual ESS ES9038Q2M). Reminds me of the Topping l30 and a50s. This Tri TK2 sits right in between. Not as flat as the Topping l30, but not as "V shaped" as the a50s.

Topping a50s is punchier tighter with more sparkle up top, but it is also dryer and colder sounding in comparison to the Tri TK2.

Anyways, these are just my first impressions and comparisons made off memory. More testing needs to be done.

Thank you Hillaudio Malaysia for sending them over.

20211125_230908.jpg

Attachments

• 20211125_230841.jpg
    20211125_230841.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211125_230935.jpg
    20211125_230935.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211125_230740.jpg
    20211125_230740.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Nov 25, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #60,988 of 99,347
Just received the Tri TK-2. Will be putting these to the test.
Daaamn, it's pretty thicc! I honestly didn't expect it to be so big, but even knowing its dimensions I couldn't clearly picture its actual size.
Enjoy!

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #60,989 of 99,347
Daaamn, it's pretty thicc! I honestly didn't expect it to be so big, but even knowing its dimensions I couldn't clearly picture its actual size.
Enjoy!
yeap. I expected it to be much smaller too. This is a chonky thicc boi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back