The discovery thread!
Nov 6, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #60,796 of 101,272
I’ve been getting a ton of enjoyment from the Final A4000. I’m not a huge fan of abstract and over-the-top expressions so I’ll just say:
  • It’s a mid-centric, neutral-bright set with a slight bass lift.
  • No exquisite metals have been used in the construction of its single dynamic driver
  • Yet, the A4000 stands out as the fastest, most resolving pair of IEMs I’ve heard. The Aria sounds veiled next to these.
  • The width and depth of the perceived soundstage is seriously impressive.
  • Clarity and air are available in spades, and can even be on the intense side at times. However, I’ve not encountered sibilance.
  • Vocals are rich, forward, and extremely detailed. Pianos sound amazing, with a clean attack and reverberation. This is my favourite aspect of the sound.
  • The bass presentation isn’t the highlight of this IEM; it’s there more as a complement to the mids and treble.
  • Nonetheless, it’s not tremendously rolled off unlike some other mid-centric sets and there’s still some presence down there.
Funny, I read that and thought what the hell... That's not how I remember them. Then realised you said A4000 and not E4000 lol. Do deleted my original response 😁

Nov 7, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #60,799 of 101,272
Yeah, not sure why Ibasso of all people, still adamant on using attached cable and one balanced out. Unlike... i don't know, its major competitor?

Fiio KA3 ___________________________ Xduoo Link 2 Bal __________________ Hidizs S9 Pro ____________________ Luxury & Precision W1 + W2
1636259884800.jpeg
xduoo-link2-bal-300x300.jpg
images
4a4fce6c-33fc-438d-8786-c71642051358.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #60,800 of 101,272
Funny, I read that and thought what the hell... That's not how I remember them. Then realised you said A4000 and not E4000 lol. Do deleted my original response 😁
Yeah I suppose the E4000 would be significantly darker haha!
graph.png

Nov 7, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #60,801 of 101,272

KZ ZEX / TRN VX Pro / Cat Ear HITAM / Smabat Proto 1.0 - Unboxing and First Look​

Just received a few new IEMs. Here are my first impressions:

KZ Zex - $22usd, 1DD+1EST. Fun sounding. Thick punchy boomy bass, splashy thin treble. Coherency isn't the best (very noticeable separation from the DD and "EST" driver), timbre isn't the best, and technicalities are below-average. I also doubt that the "EST" driver used is real. Nonetheless, I find it fun-sounding and enjoyable for Hip Hop.

CatEar HITAM - $25usd, 1DD. Quite bad. lo-fi, boomy, hazy... eww. Left unit has driver flex. Packaging and accessories are cute though.

TRN VX Pro - $88usd, 1DD+8BA. V-shaped sound signature. Full-bodied punchy bass, forward intimate vocals, energetic treble, decent soundstage width, above-average technicalities (for the price). Not bad for $80usd. However, bass is slightly slow and bleeds into the mids, treble can come off as sharp and splashy, BA timbre, incoherencies between drivers.

VX Pro review done! Link to review here - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-vx-pro-1dd-8bas.25493/review/27336/

Smabat Proto 1.0 - $88usd, modular 1DD. I am a MASSIVE fan of this. Interchangeable bass filter, interchangeable nozzle filter, interchangeable drivers. This IEM is FULLY Modular and you can customize it to your liking. With one driver, you get a total of 6 different sound configurations. I have a total of 2 different drivers here so it means that I get a whopping 12 different sound configurations. For $88usd (+$15usd for another driver), IMO this is a major steal. No matter what your sound preferences are, you will be able to find a configuration that suits your taste and needs. A separate post for Smabat Proto 1.0 will be made to showcase the different filters and driver configurations.

Frequency Response graphs for all 4 IEMs are shown below. If you have any questions regarding any of these IEMs, feel free to let me know and I'll get back to you asap.

Full reviews for all 4 IEMs will be out soon. Stay tuned.

bryaudioreviews.jpg

KZ ZEX.jpg
TRN VX Pro.jpg

Cat Ear HITAM.jpg
Smabat Proto 1.0 (stock driver (green), gold bass port, no nozzle filter).jpg

Smabat Proto 1.0 (Red driver, gold bass port, no nozzle filter).jpg

Attachments

• 20211023_205152.jpg
    20211023_205152.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211023_205207.jpg
    20211023_205207.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211023_205234.jpg
    20211023_205234.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211026_014653.jpg
    20211026_014653.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211026_014704.jpg
    20211026_014704.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211105_165453.jpg
    20211105_165453.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211105_165506.jpg
    20211105_165506.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211105_165601.jpg
    20211105_165601.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #60,802 of 101,272
CatEar HITAM - $25usd, 1DD. Quite bad. lo-fi, boomy, hazy... eww. Left unit has driver flex. Packaging and accessories are cute though
Goddamn that channel matching lol

Nov 7, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #60,803 of 101,272
Nov 7, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #60,804 of 101,272
11620468.jpg

DQSM PD21, impression can be found here

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #60,805 of 101,272
Spent the weekend with the single DD SCB2 from Shozy + ISN. Never tried the B2 when it was first released, nor any other IEM for Shozy (I hear its been more miss than hits for them...) but I'm mighty impressed by the tuning here and the included SC-4 cable. The tuning is very unique and keeps me coming back for more. Switchable tuning nozzles aren't that useful though - stick with the titanium nozzles (the brightest tuning).

Tonality: L-shape, warm, organic, lower-mid centric.
Timbre: very accurate
Bass: powerful, midbass emphasis, good detail, very natural resonant properties, far from 'flabby'
Mids: lower mids emphasis keeps the note weight thick and the upper mids organic, not muddy with titanium nozzle, no shout
Treble: plenty of definition and extension to capture a natural decay for cymbals etc, not much air but it's not missed imo, not a hint of sibilance
Technicalities: brilliant for a single DD with a wide and very tall soundstage, deep layering and good instrument separation, tight dynamics

It seems to be versatile with genres - jazz, classical, electronic and ambient, metal etc. The full bass and midrange keeps all my library exciting and engaging. Truly this driver has some of the most organic and enveloping bass I've listened to. Every time I pick it up I'm just bowled over that this is a single dynamic for the detail it captures especially at the top end. It handles everything I throw at it. Admittedly this is a warm IEM that won't appeal to all but for those who want a musical single DD IEM and enjoy their bass, this is it. My Isabellae is going up for sale and this will be taking its place as the single DD in my collection.

_DSC2802.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #60,806 of 101,272
Spent the weekend with the single DD SCB2 from Shozy + ISN. Never tried the B2 when it was first released, nor any other IEM for Shozy (I hear its been more miss than hits for them...) but I'm mighty impressed by the tuning here and the included SC-4 cable. The tuning is very unique and keeps me coming back for more. Switchable tuning nozzles aren't that useful though - stick with the titanium nozzles (the brightest tuning).

Tonality: L-shape, warm, organic, lower-mid centric.
Timbre: very accurate
Bass: powerful, midbass emphasis, good detail, very natural resonant properties, far from 'flabby'
Mids: lower mids emphasis keeps the note weight thick and the upper mids organic, not muddy with titanium nozzle, no shout
Treble: plenty of definition and extension to capture a natural decay for cymbals etc, not much air but it's not missed imo, not a hint of sibilance
Technicalities: brilliant for a single DD with a wide and very tall soundstage, deep layering and good instrument separation, tight dynamics

It seems to be very versatile with genres - jazz, classical, electronic and ambient, metal etc. The full bass and midrange keeps all my library exciting and engaging. Truly this driver has some of the most organic and enveloping bass I've listened to. Every time I pick it up I'm just bowled over that this is a single dynamic for the detail it captures especially at the top end. It handles everything I throw at it. Admittedly this is a warm IEM that won't appeal to all but for those who want a musical single DD IEM and enjoy their bass, this is it. My Isabellae is going up for sale and this will be taking its place as the single DD in my collection.

_DSC2802.jpg
A comparison with Aladdin and 3DT please?

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #60,807 of 101,272
A comparison with Aladdin and 3DT please?

There's very little similarity with the Aladdin. The Aladdin is thin by comparison with a tighter bass, mids placed further back, with the coherency of a hybrid but it does have greater instrument separation. The 3DT I've just sold so can't A/B but from memory the 3DT is dry, uppermid centric and strident (to my ears). The SCB2 is lush, organic, lower mid centric. It's probably the 'richest' listen I've had to date.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #60,808 of 101,272
Supporting what Ian is saying about these. This is my take on the Shozy & ISN SCB2.
11620101.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/shozy-isn-scb2.25535/

These are the most western/ euro tuned IEMS from a Chinese manufacturer I have heard to date. It has a unique sound profile but one that is wholly engaging. The surprising aspect of these is their technicalities and timbre but it has a verticality and depth to the sound that is more closer a good headphone like in scope. Something I was very surprised about. These are fairly smaller IEMs too. I have a pic next to the Blessing 2 shell on the read.

There are so many IEMs with too much upper mids now a days I personally find it refreshing to have one with more lower mids. Some added thickness to your music. These are different than previous Shozy offerings. The price indicates a certain level of refinements yes but ISN has done the dirty job of matching up the perfect cable to go with them and so you get earphone and cable synergy right off the bat. The cable here itself is worth a $100 but what it does for the stock Shozy B2 sound signature is perfect in enhancing, stage, imaging, detail, layering with added clarity. While retaining what makes these so engaging in the first place a rich organic tone.

Neutral earphones can lack body and bass. More colored earphones lack detail and a proper treble extension. You get none of that with the SCB2. This is one earphone dynamic fans should take seriously. They do have some bigger bass for the sound profile so you have to be a fan of having 10dbs of mid bass but otherwise these get a whole bunch of things right to get you into your music. I would put these in the colored sound category but one that enhances your music enjoyment.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back