The discovery thread!
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #60,361 of 99,617
Sep 27, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #60,364 of 99,617
I was about to type a planar IEM.
The best "budget" planar even now: second hand Audeze iSine 10 (or if you can find a B-stock one) with the Cipher cable (which makes it iOS only). The Cipher V1 cable (much rarer) has excellent tonal balance and the Cipher V2 is more V-shaped but still technically great. Both have the best staging/imaging under $1000 (along with the iSine 20) and the bass is pretty good. Issue is: these are open-back for the most part and has zero isolation. Also they are very uncomfortable. I bought two of them and sold both so yeah despite having some good stuff I don't find any use for them. However, if you can deal with the fit - they are as good a planar IEM as any (with the Cipher cable, stock tuning is awful).

IMG_4979.JPG

Should I guess planar and closed back don't mix?
Not necessarily, since Audeze has a closed back iSine and those sound decent (though very expensive). But making closed-back headphones in general is more challenging than open-backs and in case of IEMs the enclosure is very small so not much room to diffuse the resonances etc. Also, small planar diaphragms in general don't sound any better than a competent dynamic driver or BA driver array. They are more novel than really good at anything in the sound department.

Sep 27, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #60,366 of 99,617
The best "budget" planar even now: second hand Audeze iSine 10 (or if you can find a B-stock one) with the Cipher cable (which makes it iOS only). The Cipher V1 cable (much rarer) has excellent tonal balance and the Cipher V2 is more V-shaped but still technically great. Both have the best staging/imaging under $1000 (along with the iSine 20) and the bass is pretty good. Issue is: these are open-back for the most part and has zero isolation. Also they are very uncomfortable. I bought two of them and sold both so yeah despite having some good stuff I don't find any use for them. However, if you can deal with the fit - they are as good a planar IEM as any (with the Cipher cable, stock tuning is awful).

IMG_4979.JPG

Not necessarily, since Audeze has a closed back iSine and those sound decent (though very expensive). But making closed-back headphones in general is more challenging than open-backs and in case of IEMs the enclosure is very small so not much room to diffuse the resonances etc. Also, small planar diaphragms in general don't sound any better than a competent dynamic driver or BA driver array. They are more novel than really good at anything in the sound department.
If my understanding of loudspeakers can somehow translate into a headphone. I like to think that the closed back is the acoustic suspension of headphones, or a bass reflex if the closed back has a vent, like my BLON BL-03 and most DD iems for example (hopefully IEMs are more similar than different in this regard). While the open back is either an open baffle if coupling is not airtight while it's an infinite baffle if it is. And to my understanding open/infinite baffle offers THE tightest sound of any type of speaker driver mounting.

I also wonder why open back IEM is such an alien concept. It's not like I ALWAYS need noise isolation.

Sep 27, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #60,367 of 99,617
If my understanding of loudspeakers can somehow translate into a headphone. I like to think that the closed back is the acoustic suspension of headphones, or a bass reflex if the closed back has a vent, like my BLON BL-03 and most DD iems for example (hopefully IEMs are more similar than different in this regard). While the open back is either an open baffle if coupling is not airtight while it's an infinite baffle if it is. And to my understanding open/infinite baffle offers THE tightest sound of any type of speaker driver mounting.

I also wonder why open back IEM is such an alien concept. It's not like I ALWAYS need noise isolation.
I wish for open-back IEMs as an innovation. The last days I tested out an open-back earbud which sounded very good.

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #60,368 of 99,617
I wish for open-back IEMs as an innovation. The last days I tested out an open-back earbud which sounded very good.
There are a number of “open” IEMs. The FiiO FD5 is pretty much open-backed, being the first one that came to mind.

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #60,370 of 99,617
There are a number of “open” IEMs. The FiiO FD5 is pretty much open-backed, being the first one that came to mind.
Although the degree of openess seems kinda underwhelming compared to the Goldplanar GL20 or the Audeze iSine series. More like a vented design rather than open. But I'd love to audition the FD5 if I could.

That being said I've heard the GL20 in particular offers unmatched technical performance at its price bracket at the expense of EQ being a MUST. I'd like to think that this is mostly due to how open it is. But what do you all think. Do you think being 28mm planar driver played a bigger role, or the open back design of the housing?

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #60,371 of 99,617
Open-back isn't really feasible for many IEMs as it doesn't really help with diaphragm back-pressure for dynamic drivers (and in BA drivers I don't think it's a feasible concept unless you're talking vented BA, even which mostly needs a small vent). The issue with earbuds is that most of them have poor bass response and the ones with good bass are still a far cry from the bass you get in IEMs (the ones with good bass, that is). Most of the bass reflex chambers in IEMs (or similar concepts) are of closed back variety (e.g. Sony IER-Z1R), though not all of them (e.g. Dunu's ACIS). In the end, there is also the part about market demand. People use IEMs to isolate themselves from the surrounding for the most part, very few would use IEMs that has zero isolation while commuting, for example. Demand dictates production.
Although the degree of openess seems kinda underwhelming compared to the Goldplanar GL20 or the Audeze iSine series. More like a vented design rather than open. But I'd love to audition the FD5 if I could.
FD5 doesn't really sound open to me. The Dunu Falcon Pro, for example, has a much more open signature due to more elaborate front-venting (and worse isolation, as a result).

IMG_1195.jpg

Speaking of Dunu, the OG Titan 1 is still one of the most open-sounding IEMs out there.

IMG_4798.JPG

Another IEM that was open-back before being open-back was cool: JVC FX700 (Woodie).

IMG_4895_cr.JPG

So yes, open-back IEMs are still in the proof-of-concept phase I think, and it will be a while (if ever) we see them being mainstream.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #60,373 of 99,617

Users who are viewing this thread

Back