The discovery thread!
Aug 1, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #58,667 of 99,828
I am fine with people sharing their thoughts on audio gears. Sharing is caring. However, there are some users who don't own any TOTL flagship IEMs yet acting as though they are always right (I am sure you guys know who they are), it's annoying from my perspective because if one has not tried the best the market has to offer, how will one know what's good sound. As you can see, chickenmoon disagree with my opinion yet I respect his opinions as he has the credentials.
You started it again.
Those who can hear the difference with thousand-dollars cables withot any evidence should have zero credibility. Period.
Understandably, the only way to convince anyone that those cables may matter is to try to instill empty shallow impressions of 'credibility" and "reputation".

There is a good classic tale about it:
http://hca.gilead.org.il/emperor.html
Those guys who advised on the king's dress were posing as "credible and reputable" enough :) :)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #58,668 of 99,828
Source: samsung tablet, lossless, youtube.

Listening level and time: 20/40mins at a time, high volume.

Listening environment: home.

Preferred sound signature: not necessarily tight bass but full bodied (no midbass lump/bump and no subbass). warm sound. In your face (forward), sweet midrange, upfront voices (not articulated, extended), sparkly high mids i guess (i don't mind harshness or shoutiness) and not a dull or dark low treble (again no soundstage, air or ultra realism for instruments ambitions here) no "ch" and "s" higher treble sibilance recommendations please. engaging, coherent sound (don't want higher treble distractions).

Preferred genre: rock, electronic, mainstream hits (not sad beats, hip hop, pop, R&B?)*, am not the type to sing along i just "bop my head" and take cues from vocals as filler, rhythm... , lounge, ambiance music. Fair amount of classical instruments used i guess but I'll attach my youtube playlist which you may enjoy as well* :) supposed to be 540 tracks (200 on head-fi) check out the arabic music if you can find it, am Algerian

Price range: ~300 usd though am interested to know what superior choices there are if double that.

Thank you so much and enjoy my playlist i made it just for this yesterday.

My recommendations request on earbuds thread but am not partial.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #58,669 of 99,828
Came across these pictures on WeChat. I guess the NE4 will be released soon. I am stoked.

photo_2021-08-01_23-24-03.jpg
photo_2021-08-01_23-25-52 (2).jpgphoto_2021-08-01_23-25-52.jpg

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #58,670 of 99,828
Oh nice. I am currently writing a review for their new NA2+ and I have to admit it is not enough of a departure to their previous NM2+ to really take notice. I think if the NA2+ came out before the NM2+ it would have been a different story but really is more or less the same earphone with a slight tweak in balancing.

Looking forward to these new earphones from NF audio.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #58,671 of 99,828
Came across these pictures on WeChat. I guess the NE4 will be released soon. I am stoked.

photo_2021-08-01_23-24-03.jpg
photo_2021-08-01_23-25-52 (2).jpgphoto_2021-08-01_23-25-52.jpg

Interesting concept with the changable faceplate. Looking forward to seeing how their FR changes...

Aug 1, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #58,673 of 99,828
After the initial trickle of Geek Wold GK10 recommendations, the tidal wave hit - just before I was scheduled to leave for a Summer Holiday.
So, now that I'm back home, it's time to order a set, and see just how good they sound.
I see that Penon currently only has the blue in stock ($45.90, Free Shipping) - https://penonaudio.com/geek-wold-gk10.html
And, HiFiGo on Amazon only has the red in stock ($54.99, Free Prime Shipping) - https://www.amazon.com/Earbuds-Earphones-Monitor-Piezoelectric-Audiophile/dp/B099K92JQP/
I'm trying to decide whether a week's quicker shipping is worth the extra $9?
And, for those who've heard them ... :ksc75smile: Which color sounds better? :wink: :sunglasses:

Aug 1, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #58,674 of 99,828
After the initial trickle of Geek Wold GK10 recommendations, the tidal wave hit - just before I was scheduled to leave for a Summer Holiday.
So, now that I'm back home, it's time to order a set, and see just how good they sound.
I see that Penon currently only has the blue in stock ($45.90, Free Shipping) - https://penonaudio.com/geek-wold-gk10.html
And, HiFiGo on Amazon only has the red in stock ($54.99, Free Prime Shipping) - https://www.amazon.com/Earbuds-Earphones-Monitor-Piezoelectric-Audiophile/dp/B099K92JQP/
I'm trying to decide whether a week's quicker shipping is worth the extra $9?
And, for those who've heard them ... :ksc75smile: Which color sounds better? :wink: :sunglasses:
My experience with penonaudio.com delivery was not great. Mine will probably arrive after 45-60 days if I'm lucky... I would definitely pay extra $9 or buy it from AE.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #58,675 of 99,828
My experience with penonaudio.com delivery was not great. Mine will probably arrive after 45-60 days if I'm lucky... I would definitely pay extra $9 or buy it from AE.
Penon are always uber quick with deliveries to the UK...can't explain why there's a delay incurred with UAE. The issue I have with Ali Exp is that the deliveries take one month - rather than via HK - less than two weeks! Also factor in that AE add VAT - the total price is an extra £10...i.e to recap it takes longer + is more expensive! - what's to like ??

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #58,676 of 99,828

My experiences with Penon, ordering directly, and through their AliExpress store, have been that when using DHL, they provided the fastest shipping of any vendor I've ordered from - the LZ A4 earphones that I bought in December of 2016, took only 5 days to arrived from China to my Dad's house in Mississippi.

The extra $9 is for ordering from a vendor (HiFiGo) that's selling on Amazon. It's probably still shipping from China (since they probably aren't stockpiling the GK10 in the USA), but they're apparently using a faster method than Penon.

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #58,677 of 99,828
I'd personally not buy from a company that I perceive to be charging more than retail price (assuming that $45.90 is RRP), but that's me and I have weird principals at times!

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #58,678 of 99,828
I'd personally not buy from a company that I perceive to be charging more than retail price (assuming that $45.90 is RRP), but that's me and I have weird principals at times!

I've definitely seen the same products costing more on Amazon, than they do from AliExpress, or directly from the Chinese vendor web sites.
One interesting thing is that - while HiFiGo is selling the GK10 on Amazon, there are no Geek Wold products listed on their web site - https://hifigo.com/collections/in-ear

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #58,680 of 99,828
I've definitely seen the same products costing more on Amazon, than they do from AliExpress, or directly from the Chinese vendor web sites.
One interesting thing is that - while HiFiGo is selling the GK10 on Amazon, there are no Geek Wold products listed on their web site - https://hifigo.com/collections/in-ear
I'm willing to deal with that cost if it isn't astronomical just to have an Amazon rep to deal with if things go south. I've been a Prime member for something like 8 or 9 years, and they tend to treat their longtime Prime members with considerable care. As much as I dislike the empire that Bezos exploited his way into creating, their customer service has been impeccable in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back