The discovery thread!
Aug 2, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #58,681 of 100,659
I have a problem guys. My weekends are taken up by reviews. Which is good and bad. I actually cherish my weekends and spend most of it with my family doing weekend stuff. Would love to spend my time enjoying a beer and watching some Olympics if I could, but lately I find myself sitting in front of my laptop pretty much all day one day or both on weekends now to catch up on reviews I am doing as I have a full time job. I can't do much review writing on week days. I even find myself writing stuff during my 1 hour lunch break at work with a sandwich hanging out of my mouth I am typing my notes about a sound. It is one earphone then another then another then another. I was busy last year but I have never been more busy with the review que I have now which brings me to my point.

What that means is I am noticing a clear uptick in manufacturing out of China. We even have new manufacturers that are new to the scene. Take CCZ for example. These folks has some relations to KB EAR as they use some of their accessories in their Plume earphone as I recognize the case and tips they threw on their packaging for the Plume. Earphones are probably coming from the same factory as where KB EAR make their goods. In any case. This is a first time offering and I know you guys have seen some reviews of these. The truth is these are good for a first time offering but the design on these are a bit annoying for me they have a protrusion on the bottom end of the shells that poke my upper ear to the point where I can feel it. First time a universal design that didn't agree with my ear shape. This aspect I can overlook but the tuning on these things is not as good as I would like.

What is great about these things is their large wide stage presence. It is very similar in stage to the Blessing 2 maybe even wider. But the tuning goes along with the golden motif. So take a wild guess what type of tuning would go with an all golden earphone. Overall it is a good hybrid at the price but not exceptional. They will have to go back to the drawing board and make a much more balanced sounding earphone before these can really compete in the price range. In any case you can read my take on the sound of these. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ccz-plume.25258/reviews#review-26416

1627877796483.png

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #58,682 of 100,659
I have a problem guys. My weekends are taken up by reviews. Which is good and bad. I actually cherish my weekends and spend most of it with my family doing weekend stuff. Would love to spend my time enjoying a beer and watching some Olympics if I could, but lately I find myself sitting in front of my laptop pretty much all day one day or both on weekends now to catch up on reviews I am doing as I have a full time job. I can't do much review writing on week days. I even find myself writing stuff during my 1 hour lunch break at work with a sandwich hanging out of my mouth I am typing my notes about a sound. It is one earphone then another then another then another. I was busy last year but I have never been more busy with the review que I have now which brings me to my point.

What that means is I am noticing a clear uptick in manufacturing out of China. We even have new manufacturers that are new to the scene. Take CCZ for example. These folks has some relations to KB EAR as they use some of their accessories in their Plume earphone as I recognize the case and tips they threw on their packaging for the Plume. Earphones are probably coming from the same factory as where KB EAR make their goods. In any case. This is a first time offering and I know you guys have seen some reviews of these. The truth is these are good for a first time offering but the design on these are a bit annoying for me they have a protrusion on the bottom end of the shells that poke my upper ear to the point where I can feel it. First time a universal design that didn't agree with my ear shape. This aspect I can overlook but the tuning on these things is not as good as I would like.

What is great about these things is their large wide stage presence. It is very similar in stage to the Blessing 2 maybe even wider. But the tuning goes along with the golden motif. So take a wild guess what type of tuning would go with an all golden earphone. Overall it is a good hybrid at the price but not exceptional. They will have to go back to the drawing board and make a much more balanced sounding earphone before these can really compete in the price range. In any case you can read my take on the sound of these. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ccz-plume.25258/reviews#review-26416

1627877796483.png
If you aren't enjoying the experience because writing reviews is too draining on your time, don't feel the need to do so. Unless you're beholden to someone to write these full-length reviews, then there's no need to force yourself into doing so if it isn't making you happy. Just write when you feel it's a worthwhile use of your time. I'd love if you could still manage brief impressions for the things you find interesting because they're unexpectedly good or bad, but it's really up to you. I'd hate for you to come to resent the community for stealing so much of your time.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #58,683 of 100,659
If you aren't enjoying the experience because writing reviews is too draining on your time, don't feel the need to do so. Unless you're beholden to someone to write these full-length reviews, then there's no need to force yourself into doing so if it isn't making you happy. Just write when you feel it's a worthwhile use of your time. I'd love if you could still manage brief impressions for the things you find interesting because they're unexpectedly good or bad, but it's really up to you. I'd hate for you to come to resent the community for stealing so much of your time.
Totally agree on you!

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #58,684 of 100,659

1627877796483.png

The CCZ Plume is quite nice for a first attempt. Accessories are premium, technicalities are good, soundstage is large.

Though, the negative area for me was I found the CCZ Plume was quite incoherent in the midbass, the midbass was too boomy/bled too much, and it ate into the other frequencies. So at times it felt as though the midbass was slower than the treble/mids. Bassheads will like this set, and some aftermarket eartips can possibly control the midbass a bit more than the stock tips.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #58,685 of 100,659
I started writing reviews on headfi a while back as I was writing impressions and comparing so many earphones so many times. I actually enjoy writing about a sound. You gotta like doing it or your in a pit if misery. Lol.

I am sure things will slow down to a manageable rate but as of now. It is getting to be a bit too much. Lol. Plus like I said I would probably be drinking a beer watching the Olympics. I suppose writing gives me more of an excuse to listen to a phone and hear their positives and negatives. Which is always enjoyable to do so I am so used to writing about stuff all the time now. It seems to be a part of my weekend routine.

My wife thinks I am goofy for always taking photos of boxes and earphones hanging from trees and such. She is used to seeing a new DHL or Fed ex package every week. It was a bit difficult to explain what all them boxes were at first but she is coming around the idea that I do this as a hobby every weekend.

I like taking photos in sunlight as it really shows the earphones in their true colors and finishes. So that gives me an excuse for being outdoors looking for natural backdrops for photos. I suppose it is a bit therapeutic for me too in that regard. My neighbor caught me taking a photo and I had to explain to them what I was doing. They probably though I was a weirdo for taking a photo of their rock in front of their yard. Lol.

Its all good. In the name of the hobby. It is ever evolving and it is good to hear whats new. And there is always something new.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #58,686 of 100,659
The CCZ Plume is quite nice for a first attempt. Accessories are premium, technicalities are good, soundstage is large.

Though, the negative area for me was I found the CCZ Plume was quite incoherent in the midbass, the midbass was too boomy/bled too much, and it ate into the other frequencies. So at times it felt as though the midbass was slower than the treble/mids. Bassheads will like this set, and some aftermarket eartips can possibly control the midbass a bit more than the stock tips.
Ya I fully agree with you there. That bass casts a shadow on the lower mids and is not the tightest sounding bass that's for certain.

There is an image on my review that is a subtle hint. These guys need to buy an Aladdin and hear what a top tier $200 range earphone sounds like. In fact the other earphone the Rose QT9-Mk2 on there is also a superior phone at the given price range at almost half of the shell size of the Plume.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #58,689 of 100,659
Weird question but have you guys tried mixing different iems that use the same cable? Wanted to try it out but not sure if it would somehow damage them
don't worry, it's okay,
just be careful when you frequently removes the connector,

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #58,690 of 100,659
I stopped reviewing...(& I'd only posted around 5 per year) - so I never felt the burden or pressure that Dsnuts has to contend with. I feel much better about the hobby as a result. GK10 & any future Geek releases will probably be my last reviews - as I'm now not beholden to any store... I only choose to review them, as a kind of closure. Thus reflecting upon what satisfaction Geeks continually provide (alas obvs not as an endgame set.) - but as a barometer of how the bang for buck vs quality ratio: is being improved exponentially as we speak! The budget high end set continues to flourish - whereby the amount spent is kept to a minimum - therefore fulfilling one's quest / desire to achieve near high-end TOTL !! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #58,692 of 100,659
I started writing reviews on headfi a while back as I was writing impressions and comparing so many earphones so many times. I actually enjoy writing about a sound. You gotta like doing it or your in a pit if misery. Lol.

I am sure things will slow down to a manageable rate but as of now. It is getting to be a bit too much. Lol. Plus like I said I would probably be drinking a beer watching the Olympics. I suppose writing gives me more of an excuse to listen to a phone and hear their positives and negatives. Which is always enjoyable to do so I am so used to writing about stuff all the time now. It seems to be a part of my weekend routine.

My wife thinks I am goofy for always taking photos of boxes and earphones hanging from trees and such. She is used to seeing a new DHL or Fed ex package every week. It was a bit difficult to explain what all them boxes were at first but she is coming around the idea that I do this as a hobby every weekend.

I like taking photos in sunlight as it really shows the earphones in their true colors and finishes. So that gives me an excuse for being outdoors looking for natural backdrops for photos. I suppose it is a bit therapeutic for me too in that regard. My neighbor caught me taking a photo and I had to explain to them what I was doing. They probably though I was a weirdo for taking a photo of their rock in front of their yard. Lol.

Its all good. In the name of the hobby. It is ever evolving and it is good to hear whats new. And there is always something new.
I concur. This hobby is never ending.

That's why I went on a hiatus writing reviews as it is draining. I understand not everyone can afford TOTL flagship IEMs hence I hope to introduce budget/mid-tier gems to others. Sonically good IEMs without TOTL flagship price tag.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #58,693 of 100,659
Here we go GK10!

OOTB the dynamic drivers are still bit dull, will burn in for a while, but the treble is already good enough to tell high resolving capability😳
it’s heart shape? maybe “ace of spades”♠️

BF1C9009-658A-4A03-92AE-1AB9EF52CAA6.png
33746276-AB38-40DC-8AFB-579B57013FAC.jpeg94E73A90-971E-441E-9156-E0143FDADED2.jpegE478B858-9732-4CBC-B4C8-B6BD02305292.jpeg
-very nicely tuned tonal balance
-highly resolving and dynamic
-no signs of harshness
-wider diffusion field
-dry side of the tonality, a bit like moondrop’s VDSF tuning with gentle bass floor like KBEar Lark’s
-sounds like Monarch with less sub-bass boost, pretty smooth overall, I may say bright-neutral with added upper treble spices 8k-10khz for diffusion field illustration, also it reminds me of ER2XR with less mid elevation and bit higher bass floor

A-class IEM with sub$50 quote is a shocking disruption😂 Mini-Monarch it is, actually it got better sound stage.

I can already tell only IEMs on the list below that can trade blows are Modded Aria and properly source matched AST

Will report back details on GK10 thread, and compare it to
-KZ ZSN PRO/ ZAX /AST / ZAS(incoming)
-CCA CSN & Moondrop Aria

I can tell this IEM is a great hit👍 Thanks @Dsnuts !

How are GS10 comparing to DQ6 sound?

Aug 2, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #58,694 of 100,659

Users who are viewing this thread

Back