The discovery thread!
Oct 17, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #50,956 of 102,805
Ya good question. I would have thought they should have just concentrated on tuning the Tape 2 and that would have sufficed as the Pro version of the Tape 1. LOL, maybe now the upcoming Tape 2 is a Tape 1 Pro Pro? Mind boggling.

Probably, the cynical answer is that 11/11 and Black Friday are coming, and 2 items on the market mean more $$$$$ for Shouer. Though it might dilute sales if they turn out to be sidegrades or marginal upgrades.
I think more options are good. I want a TAPE 1 with 3k fixed. If that's Tape 2 and Tape Pro is a different configuration to try something new, seems good to me.

Oct 17, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #50,957 of 102,805
I think more options are good. I want a TAPE 1 with 3k fixed. If that's Tape 2 and Tape Pro is a different configuration to try something new, seems good to me.
It depends. If the Pro is the fixed tape 1 (no 3k peak and better QC) at the same price (which it is), while the 2 is the successor and the one with improved sq and also higher priced. Then yeah, having both modells is better for us consumers because we can pick which one we want (based on price).

But right now without any information on the 2 it doesnt look good.

My fears of them milking us is probably true IF they are at the same price at least....

Oct 17, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #50,958 of 102,805

It depends. If the Pro is the fixed tape 1 (no 3k peak and better QC) at the same price (which it is), while the 2 is the successor and the one with improved sq and also higher priced. Then yeah, having both modells is better for us consumers because we can pick which one we want (based on price).

But right now without any information on the 2 it doesnt look good.

My fears of them milking us is probably true IF they are at the same price at least....

If the Tape Pro has a bass adjustment screw and interchangable filters as advertised (and assuming they ain't gimmicks), then potentially there are different sound signatures that can be obtained in the Pro. So that may give more versatility to the Tape Pro. But then the Tape 2 has to give an even bigger value add over the Pro to justify a separate purchase?

But yeah agreed, we gotta wait for more info like graphs etc on the Tape 2 before we judge further.

I don't have the Tape 1, but a few friends of mine do (and from reading in the forums), some had issues with the MMCX QC of the Tape 1, some also told me they didn't like the treble spikes (though they said the Tape 1 was a very technical set with excellent details). At least it's good news that the Tape Pro uses 2 pin, that should probably fix the MMCX problems in the Tape 1.

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #50,959 of 102,805
If the Tape Pro has a bass adjustment screw and interchangable filters as advertised (and assuming they ain't gimmicks), then potentially there are different sound signatures that can be obtained in the Pro. So that may give more versatility to the Tape Pro. But then the Tape 2 has to give an even bigger value add over the Pro to justify a separate purchase?

But yeah agreed, we gotta wait for more info like graphs etc on the Tape 2 before we judge further.

I don't have the Tape 1, but a few friends of mine do (and from reading in the forums), some had issues with the MMCX QC of the Tape 1, some also told me they didn't like the treble spikes (though they said the Tape 1 was a very technical set with excellent details). At least it's good news that the Tape Pro uses 2 pin, that should probably fix the MMCX problems in the Tape 1.
It does look like they tamed the 3k peak on the pro at least.

9EAF13E8-357D-4AE0-A86A-BD038F73FEE0.jpeg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shuoer-impressions-thread.916267/page-160#post-15921316

And yes, that driver in the tape is extremely technical and has tons of details (especially the micro-details) and can compete with the iems at the 300 usd range in that regard. (although instrument separation/imaging and soundstage are not in the 300 usd range and is more like above average for something in the 100-200 range.)

I have a lot of expectations from this, because even my own eq preset turns it into a beast.

No idea what to expect from the tape 2 though since there is no info yet.

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #50,960 of 102,805
Oct 17, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #50,961 of 102,805
Oct 17, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #50,962 of 102,805

That would make sense to consolidate their efforts into a single legit Tape successor. K thanks for getting confirmation.

Fix the QC issues (MMCX), tame the 3 kHz area, and provide bass and tuning nozzles (for different sound signatures), and potentially this new Tape may be a technical champion. I just hope they keep the price reasonable and not do a Tin HIFI P2 cash grab!

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #50,963 of 102,805
That would make sense to consolidate their efforts into a single legit Tape successor. K thanks for getting confirmation.

Fix the QC issues (MMCX), tame the 3 kHz area, and provide bass and tuning nozzles (for different sound signatures), and potentially this new Tape may be a technical champion. I just hope they keep the price reasonable and not do a Tin HIFI P2 cash grab!
BGGAR said it will be the same price as the original tape. So that should be around 130 usd.

So yes, it looks like they are doing everything correct.

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #50,966 of 102,805

My forbidden fruit moondrop s8.
My favourite clear front uncolored mids.

Just be careful when picking up the fruit and not eat the S8 instead. Those uncoloured mids would then 'colour' up your next day's dump BRIGHT RED! Haha :joy:
Excuse my lame jokes. It was hard to resist. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #50,968 of 102,805
Now I am confused....

Why is there a tape PRO AND a tape 2? What purpose does the pro serve then? just a replacement for the first one with fixed QC and some added features and the tape 2 is the true successor with upgraded sound and everything?

(Also doesnt help that both of them are identical looking...)

Tape 2 Pro X Waifu Edition

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #50,969 of 102,805
Oct 17, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #50,970 of 102,805
I know they're not exactly NEW new at this point, but I'm absolutely in love with the Tanchjim Hana.

Also, side note, really cool to see @Slater still around. Been a long time since the ZS5 days over in the KZ thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back