The discovery thread!
Oct 17, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #50,972 of 106,544
They claim ASIO benefits the sound quality. :)
There is something to it. Recently I noticed that the same DAC that was stellar on my desktop, was only meh when I finally got cable to connect it to my Note20U. Several BT devices also sounded vastly superior from Windows 10 through APTX via $10 BT4.0 dongle, compared to Android. I didn't have time to investigate this phenomenon, but the idea of a small Windows10 tablet to connect USB-C DAC wouldn't go out of my head now...
The new AAW A3H+ surprised me with a full-bodied presentation, sweet vocal, and organic sounding signature!
It is a three drivers hybrid (2BA, 1 Dynamic). The noteworthy features are the nozzle-less open vented armature (NOVA) driver and graphene dynamic woofer.
The soundstage is quite wide, timbre is realistic, and note size is big.
I also like that the bass hits very hard with great texture, only slightly less tight and rumble than the bass woofer from Empire Ears Odin or Valkyrie.
Pairing with the PW 1960s cable increases the resolution and density of the notes with a more forward vocal.
Overall, I find it to be an incredible all-rounder IEM that sounds great with any genre.
This looks more interesting than Thie L5. How is fit and Isolation?
You should NEVER use an adapter to try and convert an unbalanced cable to balanced. No issue the other way around.
It's doable with 2 resistors connecting GND to -L & -R. OI and battery life will suffer, but it will work. The question is - do I trust that it's done correctly? Hmm. :thinking:
I'm curious how this one is done?
1602976559415.png
Also, SQ wise - not worth it anyway IMHO, since balanced cable to me sounds better even when connected through adapter to SE output. I'm getting better soundstage, probably due to channel separation improvement.
That's why this is the best way to go:
All of my cables are 2.5mm balanced and I have an adapter for converting 2.5mm to 3.5mm if I need it. Works without problems.
I'm moving toward this as well. Kudos to Penon for Volt cable set! They understand!

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #50,974 of 106,544
There is something to it. Recently I noticed that the same DAC that was stellar on my desktop, was only meh when I finally got cable to connect it to my Note20U. Several BT devices also sounded vastly superior from Windows 10 through APTX via $10 BT4.0 dongle, compared to Android. I didn't have time to investigate this phenomenon, but the idea of a small Windows10 tablet to connect USB-C DAC wouldn't go out of my head now...

This looks more interesting than Thie L5. How is fit and Isolation?

It's doable with 2 resistors connecting GND to -L & -R. OI and battery life will suffer, but it will work. The question is - do I trust that it's done correctly? Hmm. :thinking:
I'm curious how this one is done?
1602976559415.png Also, SQ wise - not worth it anyway IMHO, since balanced cable to me sounds better even when connected through adapter to SE output. I'm getting better soundstage, probably due to channel separation improvement.
That's why this is the best way to go:

I'm moving toward this as well. Kudos to Penon for Volt cable set! They understand!

The way the (L-) and (R-) amplifier channels get damaged, when connecting a Single-Ended Load (L+, R+, GND) to a Differential Source (L+, L-, R+, R-) - is that they're "shorted together", which means that if they're not current-limited, the amps will burn out.
However - the connection would technically be OK, as long as the series resistance between (L-) and (R-) is high enough that the current flowing remains below a safe limit, when one signal is at the maximum positive voltage, and the other is at the maximum negative voltage. Adding series resistance can protect the (L-) and (R-) amp channels, but the extra resistance could possibly affect the audio performance of the amp, with certain kinds of earphones.

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #50,975 of 106,544
Looking forward to receiving my Hiby R2 and FD1 amp.

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #50,976 of 106,544
The way the (L-) and (R-) amplifier channels get damaged, when connecting a Single-Ended Load (L+, R+, GND) to a Differential Source (L+, L-, R+, R-) - is that they're "shorted together", which means that if they're not current-limited, the amps will burn out.
However - the connection would technically be OK, as long as the series resistance between (L-) and (R-) is high enough that the current flowing remains below a safe limit, when one signal is at the maximum positive voltage, and the other is at the maximum negative voltage. Adding series resistance can protect the (L-) and (R-) amp channels, but the extra resistance could possibly affect the audio performance of the amp, with certain kinds of earphones.
Exactly! That's why I said that OI will suffer. Also, there will be unbalanced load and that thought should make audiophile cringe. Not worth it at all. Any device that has balanced usually has SE as well. So I guess, we're just wasting time discussing it here, so I regret mentioning the possibility. Let's move on...:)

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #50,977 of 106,544
Penon has been surging with excellent IEMs with fantastic tuning and tonality. Even though the Volt is hogging the lime lights now the ORB is still one of the best earphone under $300. Excellent vocals and clarity with fantastic timber. The bass is full, sub-bass has excellent extension and has a full bodied thump to it. It is not hard but soft and satisfying. Vocals are very accurate. Treble has very good detail and extension for under $300.
The only problem is the slightly muddy floor.
The ORB with its not so busy set of drivers delivers something mature and unique. Here is my detailed review:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-orb.24440/reviews

Oct 18, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #50,978 of 106,544
I can only wonder how sub $10(?) earclip Shini speakers (for lack of a better name for this form factor) compare to the KSC75 since to quote Crinacle's comment:"Non-existent sub-bass and poor resolution. But it's so well-tuned you may not even care."
What are these you are talking about? :)

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #50,979 of 106,544
I can only wonder how sub $10(?) earclip Shini speakers (for lack of a better name for this form factor) compare to the KSC75 since to quote Crinacle's comment:"Non-existent sub-bass and poor resolution. But it's so well-tuned you may not even care."
tonality > technicality.

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #50,980 of 106,544

Attachments

• rBVaJFiRkk6AZPTpAAEIpMf5WtE550.jpg
    rBVaJFiRkk6AZPTpAAEIpMf5WtE550.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
Oct 18, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #50,981 of 106,544
$5, cheaper than the shipping cost. 😅
😃 SHINI + ??? = Profit
Edit: Are these really good or this is some joke? Are they on ali, I can't find them.
Edit2: Found them on ali and read some posts here, so decided to order them as well as Q940 😃

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #50,982 of 106,544
There's something about Sony Walkman NW-A55 that separates it from the rest. It's not the sound output, which is good but not the best in class. It's not as powerful as the Cowon Plenue V and Hiby R3 Pro as both gets louder. This also doesn't have Android like the Fiio M6.

It's more about the overall package. The build is stellar, display is sharp and has good contrast, the buttons are clicky and got little nubs on them to identify blindly, the headphone jack is logically placed at the bottom and of course it holds charge for a long, long time and you don't need to turn it off to achieve that. There's also BT receiver mode so you can stream from Tidal/Spotify running on your phone. The feel in hand is perfect and it's so easy to grip I didn't even bother with a case.

Really nice DAP overall and if you don't need to run power hungry headphones or Final IEMs with very low sensitivity - this will serve really well.

IMG_8763.JPG
IMG_8782.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #50,983 of 106,544
There's something about Sony Walkman NW-A55 that separates it from the rest. It's not the sound output, which is good but not the best in class. It's not as powerful as the Cowon Plenue V and Hiby R3 Pro as both gets louder. This also doesn't have Android like the Fiio M6.

It's more about the overall package. The build is stellar, display is sharp and has good contrast, the buttons are clicky and got little nubs on them to identify blindly, the headphone jack is logically placed at the bottom and of course it holds charge for a long, long time and you don't need to turn it off to achieve that. There's also BT receiver mode so you can stream from Tidal/Spotify running on your phone. The feel in hand is perfect and it's so easy to grip I didn't even bother with a case.

Really nice DAP overall and if you don't need to run power hungry headphones or Final IEMs with very low sensitivity - this will serve really well.

IMG_8763.JPGIMG_8782.JPG

the inherent weakness is the power. it will not power those 'phones that need juice. you need an amp with this DAP, but as far as easy of use, eq, and sound, this is hard to beat. that Sony house sound has been addictive to me for almost 15 years. i will always have a Sony player in my collection. always.

Oct 18, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #50,984 of 106,544
just a friendly reminder, i'm selling the Mofasest Trio, so make a best offer, and go to the link below, and put an EST in your collection.

i've been listening to my UE500 the last couple days. i bought them for $20 for the tips, but i'm impressed how good they are for metal. not very compared to most in my collection for all genres, but for metal and hard rock, they are impressive. lacking stage, which is why they rate so low overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back