The discovery thread!
Jul 21, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #48,436 of 99,884
DD/planar/EST sounds like a very nice configuration. Are there stuff out there with that config?
IMR had one planned, but I think it's been postponed at least until 2021.
Indeed IMR’s Semper should include those three; the monstrous DD first introduced in the Aten, the planar from the Rah, the electrostat showcased in the Halcyon, and probably still the good old IMR piezo on top but I’m not sure about that last one.

And it was supposed to come out in 2021, but was recently pulled forward to this year - the pre-orders open in 2 to 4 weeks, per the most recent e-mail.

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #48,437 of 99,884
Good call. I should’ve specified that I meant most affordable “Sonion” tribrid that includes DD, BA, and Sonion Electret drivers. The BQEYZ Spring 1&2 are also tribrids, as is the LZ A6.

So is the NX7

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #48,438 of 99,884
Indeed IMR’s Semper should include those three; the monstrous DD first introduced in the Aten, the planar from the Rah, the electrostat showcased in the Halcyon, and probably still the good old IMR piezo on top but I’m not sure about that last one.

And it was supposed to come out in 2021, but was recently pulled forward to this year - the pre-orders open in 2 to 4 weeks, per the most recent e-mail.
I think the price was pretty high on these ($1100 ? Minus the loyalty discount), but I'm glad to see they've actually been pulled forward. Hopefully others follow suit and some chifi brands have them in the pipeline.

If the Semper have IMR's signature "lack of isolation" I can't say I'm super interested in paying the asking price for them.

I like my Rah, but the lack of isolation is the most pronounced I've heard in IEMs outside of the isine20. Not ideal for me, and I prefer the precise imaging properties of more closed sets (I'm in the minority on that opinion). Can't say I'm a fan of the piezo in the Rah (regardless of nozzle/filter) but I think that's omitted in their EST sets. That's a plus...

So I'm kind of torn on it, and there is no doubt the hardcore IMR fanatics will love them.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #48,439 of 99,884
DD/planar/EST sounds like a very nice configuration. Are there stuff out there with that config?

What I’d like to see is a Plamsa/Radialstrahler/Ribbon driver configuration!

https://www.lansche-audio.com/products/plasmatweeter/

http://www.mbl.de/radialstrahler-mbl-101-x-treme-2/?lang=en

EFB2876D-B1D8-43FD-8286-0BDDBE100C8E.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #48,440 of 99,884
I think the price was pretty high on these ($1100 ? Minus the loyalty discount), but I'm glad to see they've actually been pulled forward. Hopefully others follow suit and some chifi brands have them in the pipeline.

If the Semper have IMR's signature "lack of isolation" I can't say I'm super interested in paying the asking price for them.

I like my Rah, but the lack of isolation is the most pronounced I've heard in IEMs outside of the isine20. Not ideal for me, and I prefer the precise imaging properties of more closed sets (I'm in the minority on that opinion). Can't say I'm a fan of the piezo in the Rah (regardless of nozzle/filter) but I think that's omitted in their EST sets. That's a plus...

So I'm kind of torn on it, and there is no doubt the hardcore IMR fanatics will love them.
I loved the Rah but sent mine back because of the leakage. They are even worse in that regard than the fully open-back Aten. The Rah are like the “ambient” mode on wireless headphones, they let you stay in touch with your surroundings... The Halcyon leak almost nothing even with the open nozzle, haven’t tried the closed port yet.

The piezo is in, so it will probably also be in the Semper. Many people dislike IMR’s piezo or think it's a legacy driver that needs to be upgraded, I’m not totally sure though, it can get way hot and screamy (as on the R1 Zenith) or give great detail and timbre when the overall driver topology keeps it tight. Plus the nozzle options help.

Price for the Semper hasn’t been confirmed yet...

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #48,442 of 99,884
Maybe someone could tell me why DD+Full range EST wouldn't work. The more i search the more unlikely the odds of a full range EST being available seems however.

MartinLogan EM-ESL is a DD woofer + full range electrostat speaker.

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #48,443 of 99,884

fuzz rock and punk sounds amazing with earphones with great bass weight and clarity, and strong mids.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #48,444 of 99,884
Jul 21, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #48,445 of 99,884
My video review about the M11 PRO is live now!! This is probably my longest video review, and it shows why for flagships I really need to write the review, it is just simpler to cover everything. This being said, the video review is really fun to watch, or at least I hope so, it has a lot of memes, jokes, sass, honesty, and even lots of pairings and comparisons. If you want to know more about M11 PRO, here's my full take!!

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #48,446 of 99,884
What i love about the Sennheiser's are the natural treble and timbre. Only the JVC's have a more natural timbre and treble presentation. everything else falls short.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #48,447 of 99,884
Jul 22, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #48,448 of 99,884
Jul 22, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #48,449 of 99,884

Users who are viewing this thread

Back