The discovery thread!
Jul 21, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #48,421 of 100,897
The SA3 is Dunu first all BA IEM debut and I am very impressed. For me, It is the most beautiful IEM at its price point. Bass is on the lighter side of things, midrange is clean and detailed, vocals are excellent, treble is smooth yet airy at the same time. Depth is very good while width is alright. This is another IEM I can highly recommend. :)

photo_2020-07-21_22-16-22.jpg

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #48,423 of 100,897
The SA3 is Dunu first all BA IEM debut and I am very impressed. For me, It is the most beautiful IEM at its price point. Bass is on the lighter side of things, midrange is clean and detailed, vocals are excellent, treble is smooth yet airy at the same time. Depth is very good while width is alright. This is another IEM I can highly recommend. :)

Price range?

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #48,424 of 100,897
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #48,425 of 100,897

give it to me
585596049326866432.png

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #48,426 of 100,897
Hmmmm.
I will test when I am free. Cheers.
No sibilance and harshness. Smooth and detailed akin to what you mentioned on the IE800. Cheers.
It will only get better with burn-in. :)
@Dsnuts @audio123 so you'd both recommend this set to wade into the sonion Electret world?

At $500 I think it's the cheapest I've seen. I'm less interested in them than before knowing they are just electrets now, but does this set allow you to differentiate a difference between good BA highs and this Electrets highs? Or is it basically just a crazy good value TOTL set that could sound like BAs?

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #48,427 of 100,897
I was just chatting with audio about the Mofos. I am gonna say these are punching way above what they cost and when I was listening to them last night. They just about blew my mind just how good. The bass.

Oh the bass!. That bass is something you can only hear from the likes of Sonys highest end in ears. I own the Z5 and the bass on the Mofos are about as good as it gets. The definition of the bass end is astounding. It hits every bass note with ease. It happens to use a Biofilm dynamic which is something similar to what Sony uses. So I thought that is what the dynamics were.

The treble is another aspect I was blown away with. Treble notes hang in the air like nothing I have heard before. It is not only defined there but proper. Nothing that pokes you in the ear like a lot of these try hard earphones I have gotten lately. The treble is definitley on the higher end of things. Fist time exlectrostatic Sonion for the highs for me and it is a memorable one. Mids has an airy quality to them that just hard to forget too.

Combine the 3 and you got one crazy sounding Mofo earphone. So much so I decided to make a thread based on them. They deserve it. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mofasest-trio-dedicated-thread-post-your-thoughts.937975/

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #48,428 of 100,897
I was just chatting with audio about the Mofos. I am gonna say these are punching way above what they cost and when I was listening to them last night. They just about blew my mind just how good. The bass.

Oh the bass!. That bass is something you can only hear from the likes of Sonys highest end in ears. I own the Z5 and the bass on the Mofos are about as good as it gets. The definition of the bass end is astounding. It hits every bass note with ease. It happens to use a Biofilm dynamic which is something similar to what Sony uses. So I thought that is what the dynamics were.

The treble is another aspect I was blown away with. Treble notes hang in the air like nothing I have heard before. It is not only defined there but proper. Nothing that pokes you in the ear like a lot of these try hard earphones I have gotten lately. The treble is definitley on the higher end of things. Fist time exlectrostatic Sonion for the highs for me and it is a memorable one. Mids has an airy quality to them that just hard to forget too.

Combine the 3 and you got one crazy sounding Mofo earphone. So much so I decided to make a thread based on them. They deserve it. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mofasest-trio-dedicated-thread-post-your-thoughts.937975/
Enticing. I'd love to get a set but I've got some wallet recovery time. Good to hear the mids are high quality. That's what I've been nervous about on a lot of these EST tribrids (in addition to the bonkers price of most sets).

It sounds like this might be one of the best and the cheapest set there is. Hopefully it'll put downward pressure on everyone else pricing wise.

I'd love to pick up a set but it'll likely be a month or two for me (*stares at my brand new 7hz i99 with very mixed feelings*).

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #48,429 of 100,897
I know about that not so fresh feeling you get when you buy something expensive and you get that well it sounds great but then again. Been there done that.

I gurantee there will be no such feelings on these. I was not kidding when I say these are at my Solaris level technically and it might do a few things better actually. Treble for one has this floaty dimensional quality to it. No other way to describe it. I have never heard such articulate treble before. And no it does not sound like a higher end BA. it has it's own character. That dimensional quality is a new one on me. It is too early on for me to do a proper head to head but they are pulling punches with one of my best all time favorites and this was out of the box. lol. Unreal.

I have two earphones and a cable to review before I get to the Mofos but all I am saying is I am gonna enjoy every bit of that burn in and time I get to use these in between. These are playing spoilers for a lot of my earphones right now and that kinda sucks but hey it is what it is. They sound fantastic. No other way to put it.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #48,430 of 100,897
Enticing. I'd love to get a set but I've got some wallet recovery time. Good to hear the mids are high quality. That's what I've been nervous about on a lot of these EST tribrids (in addition to the bonkers price of most sets.

It sounds like this might be one of the best and the cheapest set there is. Hopefully it'll out downward pressure in everyone else pricing wise.

I'd love to pick up a set but it'll likely be a month or two for me (*stares at my brand new 7hz i99 with very mixed feelings*).
The mids are great, the electret handles mostly treble at 8k and beyond with some of its character tinting the mids. To answer your earlier question, there is a significant difference in presentation between electrets and full BA sets, and the mofasest happens to a good example and showcases these characteristics well. There is definitely an initial wow factor as to how airy and detailed the electrets are relative to BAs, but it is to my ears more colored and may not be for everyone. The mofasest being one of if not the cheapest electrets, along with its good implementation, puts it high on my list of recommendations for anyone who wants to get a taste of the sonion electrets. You could certainly do a lot worse *cough* ej07 *cough*

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #48,431 of 100,897
The mids are great, the electret handles mostly treble at 8k and beyond with some of its character tinting the mids. To answer your earlier question, there is a significant difference in presentation between electrets and full BA sets, and the mofasest happens to a good example and showcases these characteristics well. There is definitely an initial wow factor as to how airy and detailed the electrets are relative to BAs, but it is to my ears more colored and may not be for everyone. The mofasest being one of if not the cheapest electrets, along with its good implementation, puts it high on my list of recommendations for anyone who wants to get a taste of the sonion electrets. You could certainly do a lot worse *cough* ej07 *cough*
Well, I've listened to the cheaper Electrets, but the sonion drivers seem to be a tier above the magnetostats nearer to the budget level, or at least when they're implemented well...

I am not very fond of the sound of the shuoer tape, for instance....

I've rarely found BAs in the mids to be good, much less great, and that's where these tribrids are losing me, especially for the price. I'd honestly rather see a single or double DD/EST or DD/planar/est than DD/BA/EST.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #48,432 of 100,897
Well, I've listened to the cheaper Electrets, but the sonion drivers seem to be a tier above the magnetostats nearer to the budget level, or at least when they're implemented well...

I am not very fond of the sound of the shuoer tape, for instance....

I've rarely found BAs in the mids to be good, much less great, and that's where these tribrids are losing me, especially for the price. I'd honestly rather see a single or double DD/EST or DD/planar/est than DD/BA/EST.
DD/planar/EST sounds like a very nice configuration. Are there stuff out there with that config?

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #48,433 of 100,897
DD/planar/EST sounds like a very nice configuration. Are there stuff out there with that config?
IMR had one planned, but I think it's been postponed at least until 2021. Other than that, I haven't seen anything with that configuration but I'm really looking forward to one!

Definitely something I've been keeping an eye out for.

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #48,434 of 100,897
It looks like we have another solid contender in the 100$ price bracket, the WG T-one.
In his youtube review (in Spanish), the Mexican reviewer Roys rates the T-one above Tri i3, Thieaudio Legacy 3, Audiosense AQ3, and Urbanfun YBF-ISS014, among others.
Check the comparison table at 11:12
What an interesting time for this hobby. Now I need the money...:beyersmile: So many options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back