The discovery thread!
Jun 30, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #42,691 of 100,670
I have the Sony xba40 and they don't sound like a mess, they are pretty totl
there is nothing saying that they cannot, in fact I liked several of the XBA-XXXX (I'm secretly a hard Sony fanboy, even if their marketing often makes my eyes bleed). with that said the only one I still own is a single driver ^_^. it's just that going for multidriver design without crossovers that's making things overly complicated for the designers without any really clear benefit. those who think crossovers are bad will typically go for single driver designs, and those who don't think it's too bad, they will just use them. but multidriver and no crossover that's special. the overall impedance will still tend to be messy and probably low. with the bands overlapping on wild frequency ranges while being different drivers, there is always some risks of unwanted interactions like maybe getting into partial cancellation somewhere. with some crossover you can band limit each driver so if things go smoothly in the transition bands, you're in control. and then to tune the all thing without crossovers, they have to rely entirely on picking the drivers(or for sony, go as far as making them if I remember correctly), and maybe add some acoustic filters and specific internal geometry. all that for a result that isn't even more stable or objectively better than what could be done and is done by most manufacturers. it amounts to taking the road less traveled while knowing in advance that it's through a giant swamp with gators. it's doable with a lot more efforts but the chances to get in trouble are bigger. so I'd say it's a ballsy and strange decision at the same time.

now that I think about it, are all the XBA models without crossover or was that only for the first ones(2-3-4)?

Jun 30, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #42,692 of 100,670
Jun 30, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #42,693 of 100,670
there is nothing saying that they cannot, in fact I liked several of the XBA-XXXX (I'm secretly a hard Sony fanboy, even if their marketing often makes my eyes bleed). with that said the only one I still own is a single driver ^_^. it's just that going for multidriver design without crossovers that's making things overly complicated for the designers without any really clear benefit. those who think crossovers are bad will typically go for single driver designs, and those who don't think it's too bad, they will just use them. but multidriver and no crossover that's special. the overall impedance will still tend to be messy and probably low. with the bands overlapping on wild frequency ranges while being different drivers, there is always some risks of unwanted interactions like maybe getting into partial cancellation somewhere. with some crossover you can band limit each driver so if things go smoothly in the transition bands, you're in control. and then to tune the all thing without crossovers, they have to rely entirely on picking the drivers(or for sony, go as far as making them if I remember correctly), and maybe add some acoustic filters and specific internal geometry. all that for a result that isn't even more stable or objectively better than what could be done and is done by most manufacturers. it amounts to taking the road less traveled while knowing in advance that it's through a giant swamp with gators. it's doable with a lot more efforts but the chances to get in trouble are bigger. so I'd say it's a ballsy and strange decision at the same time.

now that I think about it, are all the XBA models without crossover or was that only for the first ones(2-3-4)?
all the Sony multi driver in ears are without crossovers

Jun 30, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #42,694 of 100,670
I have the Sony xba40 and they don't sound like a mess, they are pretty totl

Nope. If we remember in actuality people liking the triple driver better and they quad was very picky and tip and source dependent. Very hard to work with. I sold mine. Yes, they could be excellent sounding but no one should lead people to believe that you should go and grab one cause they are pretty TOTL more than they should be warned that, while they have potential, but they have some risk to end up sounding from pretty "meh" to pretty damn sweet or somewhere in between.

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #42,695 of 100,670
yea, that zs5v1 is a monster, way more caveats than advantages. guess it needs around 50mA threshold components; cheap DAPs or most smartphones don't reach that
That`s why I noticed change after changing to opamps which provide ~80mA per channel with ZS5v1.

Anyway, I really like ZS5v1 when properly amped :p

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #42,696 of 100,670
Hey guys! Here is my review for the Tansio Mirai TSMR-4 Pro - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/22221

Let me know how you like it and if you have any questions.
Cheers! :D

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Jul 1, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #42,697 of 100,670
While waiting for my TFZ No3 Ti, an Audio-Technica ATH-CKR100iS arrived... :)

Jul 1, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #42,701 of 100,670
@chickenmoon what is your best iem for detail retrieval atm and soundstage?

I frankly don't really know. Those CKR100 maybe or perhaps the Flares. I've got an EX1000 too, that's supposed to be the best for both.

Jul 1, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #42,703 of 100,670
Jul 1, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #42,705 of 100,670
@Animagus Excellent review. Do you prefer them to the KXXS?

Thank you! It's a tough choice. I personally like both. To differentiate, if you want more boost in bass, choose KXXS. 4Pro has good fast bass which is very neutral in 020 and slightly north of neutral in 100. I like mids and treble in both. 4Pro's treble is what BA's are known for whereas KXXS' treble is Harman-ish. It totally depends which one you like more. The thing is one is a very well tuned dynamic and the other is a great 4BA driver with switchable tuning options. If you have budgetary constraints, then it makes the decision very easy.

Hope this helps. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back