The discovery thread!
Dec 15, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #40,786 of 100,732
Dec 15, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #40,787 of 100,732
So, I had some spare time and I did an A/B of the BGVP DM6 and the Whizzer Kylin A-HE03 with some tests songs that I often use to get a handle on a head/ear-phone.

Used 2 similar silver cables on both (though the one on the Whizzer Kylin had 8 cores, against the 4 cores of the one I used on the DM6), an A/B switcher, and the DX200TI with an Amp7 (switcher only has 3.5mm sockets, so no point in going balanced).

First of all, I actually did not much like either, oob – thought the Kylin had sort of an overwhelming bass, and the DM6 was a bit “disjointed”, you might say. Also, oob, I thought I liked the DM6 better (meaning, I did not really like it, but I disliked it less than I did the Kylin :) ) .

Left both on burn-in for around a full 200 hours (9 days straight, more or less). Both improved considerably, IMO, though neither changed from day to night: Kylin still has plenty of bass, but it’s overall more balanced (to my ears); DM6 is a lot better, no longer “disjointed”, though I hear the Kylin as being overall a bit more coherent, in sound. On the plus side, I think they’re both listenable bordering on enjoyable, now (and I did NOT think so, oob :)).

So, some details:
  • Sub bass – used Unquiet Tears by Mostly Autumn, and Intro/Set Me Free by Ken Hensley and Live Fire (Live Album): Kylin has definitely lots of sub bass, you can feel it. DM6 has less sub bass, though it’s still there. For both, sub bass is a bit loose, not very tight, though on the DM6s it’s maybe a bit tighter. This is one of the main differentiating characteristics, IMHO.
  • Mid Bass/Bass: used Mandelgroove by Blue Man Group: liked both more or less equally
  • Mids: used some AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Royal Hunt: vocals sound clearer on the Whizzer Kylin, to my ears – it’s as if the Kylin have a bit of an boost on the upper mids, that results in a bit more clarity on those frequencies, and it’s especially hearable on vocals, both male and female (though only female vocals I used are the ones on Unquiet Tears). By comparison, I hear vocals on the DM6 as being a bit warmer, but compared directly to the Kylin I hear them also as having a bit more of “veil” on them (they don’t, really – it only really shows by comparison to something clearly having more clarity) – that’s the second big difference that I hear between them. On a similar note, I thought the bells on Hell’s Bells sounded great on the Kylin, and (just) nice on the DM6 – I imagine due to the same reasons.
  • Treble: used some Tempest, and Rosemary Hill by Fresh Maggots (cymbals come in pretty early on, and frequently throughout the track): both are fine, but DM6 has a bit more sparkle on top, seems to me
  • Soundstage: nothing to write home about on either one – both are very in front of you, not 3D, neither one struck me as being particularly wider/taller, maybe the DM6 position you a bit nearer to the stage and the Whizzer a bit farther away, but it’s not night and day.
  • Separation: again, nothing to write home about on both of them. Not bad, but not their strong suit either.
  • Sensitivity: Whizzer need more juice, DM6 less: to reach similar listening levels, I had volume at around 80 on the Kylin, and at around 67 on the DM6 (and the Kylin had an 8 core cable, compared to the 4 core of the DM6)
  • Other notes: I thought the Whizzer were a bit more coherent, overall, and the DM6 were maybe a bit faster. Also, DM6 has more treble proper, to my ears, but due to the difference in clarity on the mids appeared to me as being actually warmer, overall. Whizzer Kylin has more bass, especially sub-bass.
At the end, I was surprised to understand I may actually like the Whizzer Kylin more :) (and I really didn't, at the beginning) - I hear vocals as having a more natural timbre on them, and having overall more clarity (though with a lot of bass – it’s not as overpowering as it was oob, but it’s most definitely there). Both can be nice, depending on personal preference.

I have a strong suspicion that I may end up preferring the Moondrop Kanas Pro to both, though it’s a bit early yet (the Kanas Pro have yet to finish their burn-in period – another 5 days or so) – but I liked the Kanas Pro from the very beginning, oob, and the few “listens” I snatched during the 4 days they’ve been burning them in have done nothing to make me stop liking them :).

One warning on the Kylin is that fit may be a bit finicky: they have short nozzles, and I could get a good seal with the Spiral Dots, but I can see some people having to hunt for the right tips in order to do so. The DM6 have an easier fit, and they isolate better, seems to me.

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #40,788 of 100,732
Diamond Like Carbon is what Campfire Audio uses on their higher end Dynamic earphones. Carbon Nanotubes. Vets of this thread should know all about. This drivers is a nice upgrade to the older graphene they used on the IT01. Early reports is that it is not a V shaped signature but more balanced.

I suspect these will push SQ quite a bit for the money. I have yet to be let down by an Ibasso earphone so I have high expectations of this earphone. I will most definitely let you guys know how it sounds once I get it in a weeks time. Looking forward to this. This is easily a day one purchase for me.
looking forward to your impressions of the ibasso IT-01s. did you order one yet?

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #40,789 of 100,732
looking forward to your impressions of the ibasso IT-01s. did you order one yet?
C'mon, drblue, the "once I get in a about a weeks time" had to be a bit of a clue. :)

Also saw elsewhere...
HTB1zj2hacfrK1Rjy0Fmq6xhEXXaA.jpg

Also noticed the A6 Mini is up at $180. Can barely justify keeping the A6 name on it though. Loses 2/3 of the tuning ports(only high end adjustment), loses all 4 of the armatures, and the loudness button. Once you drop all that it is not much of an A6 anymore.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #40,790 of 100,732
I agree 100%! Have you had a chance to try the T88k with jvc spiral dots yet? For me, the wide bore opens the sound up the best on the T88k, and they're comfortable as well.

I don't own the JVC spiral tips. But guess I have to order :)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #40,791 of 100,732
Been using the Momentum True Wireless and have to say these are very enjoyable. I know people are hearing artifacts or something over in the wireless thread but I am not able reproduce those issues at all so must have to old of ears.

But all the A/B/C testing is just making me really appreciate the MTW. The N200 is more balanced but just a bit to lean for me. The WF700N actually is a leaner than the MTW but lacks the micro detail and musicality. I wish I could hear the MW07 just to give a comparison but based on what I have the MTW is the best true wireless IEM I have heard by a good margin while giving 4hrs if use per charge at 50% volume and connectivity that is as good as most BT products I own.

If your wanting true wireless the MTW is probably as good as it gets right now unless you can live with the much shorter battery life if the MW07 in which case you might like it more sonically according to some.

For me I want at least 4 hours of play time so like the MTW.

I remember having to play my IE8 fir quite a while before they started to sound good. The MTW was a bit boomy out of the gate but did not take long for me to like them. I dont think they have quite that 3D special sound but they do remind me of that IEM without its negative aspects such as recessed mids or tinny treble.

Dec 16, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #40,792 of 100,732
I can finally say that I am at peace and it lies within the ostry kc07. As soon as I slapped on some double flange tips these iems transformed into something else for me! The vocals are exquisite because it is powerful and expressive which I would rate 10/10 to male vocals and female vocals are also really nice. Soundstage is great and has the same amount of width, height and good depth when using the double flange tips. When compared to the os v3 I would say the kc07 has better soundstage and much better vocals with similar resolution and separation. However, the os v3's bass and treble is definitely better and the best I've heard because of it weighty, engaging and addicting bass! with a very controlled, well extended and smooth treble performance aswell.

Dec 16, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #40,793 of 100,732
I have a strong suspicion that I may end up preferring the Moondrop Kanas Pro to both, though it’s a bit early yet (the Kanas Pro have yet to finish their burn-in period – another 5 days or so) – but I liked the Kanas Pro from the very beginning, oob, and the few “listens” I snatched during the 4 days they’ve been burning them in have done nothing to make me stop liking them :).

Thanks a lot for this comparison! Another note that I`m probably doing right with going for Kanas Pro. Though, I`m still wondering how IT01S vs. Kanas Pro compares?!

Dec 16, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #40,794 of 100,732
Well, it's kinda decent. Its neutralish with decent amount of detail. The low end lacks sub-bass extension but is actually pretty good for BA with good attack and decay. There is a peak in the upper mids/lower treble to boost the clarity but it can be quite tiring depending on the music. The upper treble is really laid back to a point there is zero shimmer and the overall presentation becomes very intimate and lacking openness, especially in height. This also affects the instruments making them lose their natural reverb. It is kinda fixable with a big eq boost of the upper treble though. Soundstage-wise it is about average but quite flat in dimension without the eq boost. It also can sound quite busy at times.

Overall, not a bad iem and I would pick it over something like the brainwavz b150, which it reminds me a bit of, but would be an easier recommendation if I knew it would cost 50-60 bucks and it will be double that. I am not here to hype gear as others and I guess you would be getting a lot of similar opinions from me if I was getting on all of the hype trains. So far I'm not impressed with that DIY chi-fi stuff I've heard. I guess I'll be sticking to the more renowned brands in the future and the chi-fi stuff will be limited to vsonic, flc, moondrop, colorfly, fiio, tfz, etc., rather than random OEM designs that released on daily basis.
Have received my Superbag too and listen to the DT600 right now.

Lacking experience with IEMs (have no more than some Flares a KZ ZSN and will hopefully soon own a DM6) and given the short listening time I nonetheless seem to hear what you did.

The DT600 delivers a very neutral presentation. But it is lacking bass and sub-bass for my taste and due to the tuning for details to me appears a bit unengaging from time to time. All in all the ZSN in comparison is more fun imo (but much more coloured and with a tendency to an almost bloated bass sound with bass heavy music).

Will give the DT600 some more time to burn in though and may try other tips (alas my wide bore Symbios don't fit the small nozzles of the DT600). But I fear it won't get much play time in the end....

Dec 16, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #40,796 of 100,732
I can finally say that I am at peace and it lies within the ostry kc07. As soon as I slapped on some double flange tips these iems transformed into something else for me! The vocals are exquisite because it is powerful and expressive which I would rate 10/10 to male vocals and female vocals are also really nice. Soundstage is great and has the same amount of width, height and good depth when using the double flange tips. When compared to the os v3 I would say the kc07 has better soundstage and much better vocals with similar resolution and separation. However, the os v3's bass and treble is definitely better and the best I've heard because of it weighty, engaging and addicting bass! with a very controlled, well extended and smooth treble performance aswell.

Glad to hear you've found the right pair for you :thumbsup:

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #40,797 of 100,732
sony 23.jpg

Dec 17, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #40,798 of 100,732
Just demoed the Massdrop HD6XX, paired with my Dragonfly Black.

This really makes me question if my next buy should be a open back headphone, or an IEM.

Vocals on these are so immensely realistic, treble is laid back - but more detailed than my Toneking T88k's ( quite a step up in terms of micro details actually ).

Not going to compare soundstage, as it wouldnt be fair.

I'm really feeling that the technical performance of my high end IEM's is lackluster compared to these.

Do you aqcuire IEM's for portability, or am I not seeing something that I should?

Dec 17, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #40,799 of 100,732
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/ranchowner.504736/

Much of the time headphones can effortlessly do what IEMs struggle with. But it’s not comparable as IEMs have a different soundstage which is more inside your head. Also some find IEMs more comfortable, but some find headphones more comfortable? It’s hard to generalize, as what’s more important is getting a sound you like. It’s also maybe more important to get whatever you use to match your equipment regardless of it being IEM or headphone.

Dec 17, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #40,800 of 100,732
At home I use headphones and earbuds mostly, but when out and about I use iems. Also in the summer when it is very warm I just use iems as headphones can make me too hot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back