The discovery thread!
Nov 29, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #34,411 of 100,498
My advice? Don't, they're nowhere near as refined or as exciting as their predecessors FX series, get the FX850 which you can still get on Amazon.jp for under $200 if the woodie aesthetics is what you're looking for

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #34,412 of 100,498
My advice? Don't, they're nowhere near as refined or as exciting as their predecessors FX series, get the FX850 which you can still get on Amazon.jp for under $200 if the woodie aesthetics is what you're looking for
That is indeed interesting advice. I shall check out the FX850. I was under the impression that the dynamic driver was refined on the FW02. Thank you

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #34,414 of 100,498
20171130_165023.jpg
These arrived today. Three days from HK to Norway with free shipping (e-packet) is certainly a new record for me (multi $$ priority shipping excluded). Very early impression are great, these are definitely the real deal and should be considered in the sub $200 (at least) crowd.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #34,416 of 100,498
Nov 30, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #34,418 of 100,498
Still loving my new AF140. The bass settled down after about 40hrs of use and these are now a bit more natural sounding. The bass is still very much present but not as over bearing and more nuanced versus the initial one note it initially had.

The midrange and treble have also opened up a bit more with the midrange gaining a bit of edge in vocals and for instruments like guitars but only in a good way, not in a shouty or sibilant fashion.

Here is an interesting thing though and maybe why these do not have a microphone.

I have an LG V20 phone which has a Quad DAC in it that I use with all earphones and headphones. I noticed the AF140 was sounding a bit weak so when I checked the Quad DAC had somehow gotten turned off. SO I enabled it and bam my music sounded great again. Upon further inspection the Quad DAC shows the AF140 as a high impedance device! The specs say it 38 ohms with 103db sensitivity which I guess makes these harder to drive. Good news for me because they are the first device I own that forces my V20 to go into high impedance mode :).

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #34,419 of 100,498
Exesteils. How goes my friend. We are good in the discovery thread. Speaking of discovery. I just found out Trinity might actually ship out my Hunters I ordered over a year ago. Lol.
I've been waiting over a year for those as well. Unfortunately, your chances of getting it are probably close to your chances of winning the lottery. That email looks like another last minute cash grab from them as there has been no reports of receiving tracking numbers to my knowledge. When I emailed them about it I only received a boilerplate response.

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #34,420 of 100,498
Ya I realized this once I sent them an email. I bet they are figuring out how many phones they have to get ready. We will see what happens here within a week or so. I don't have my hopes up however.

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #34,421 of 100,498
Ya I realized this once I sent them an email. I bet they are figuring out how many phones they have to get ready. We will see what happens here within a week or so. I don't have my hopes up however.
Pretty much written them off.......sad. However, my time has been taken up listening to my newly arrived Andromedas and the XDP 300R! These phones are on a completely different level to my other stuff; stellar imaging, resolution soundstage etc. Believe it or not, one of the best synergies has been with my Note 8. Adds the needed low end that the Pioneer seems to suck out a bit. These phones are notorious for being picky. I'm wondering if anyone here knows the z out of the Pioneer XDP 300R?

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #34,422 of 100,498
I like the Pioneer XDP-300r (seems to have some bad notices on Head Fi, both sound impressions and some reports of reliability issues. I've had no issues with reliability). I think it sounds very good, but I don't like the stock music app on it, I downloaded Neutron; think it sounds better, and lifts the player to another level. I don't know the "Z" (or the "X", or the "Y"), though...

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #34,423 of 100,498
Got 2 cables from the Black Friday craziness, but haven't had a chance to play with them. Mostly waiting for my iSine20, and listening to the Campfire Audio Orion, which is $349, but CA has "B" Stock often, at $299 or so, think they sound very good (will write them up one of these days...)

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #34,424 of 100,498
I like the Pioneer XDP-300r (seems to have some bad notices on Head Fi, both sound impressions and some reports of reliability issues. I've had no issues with reliability). I think it sounds very good, but I don't like the stock music app on it, I downloaded Neutron; think it sounds better, and lifts the player to another level. I don't know the "Z" (or the "X", or the "Y"), though...
I do like it now as well. I've been playing with it and originally bought it to use for Tidal. It's quite apparent that it has a very good dac......just a little lean on power unless your phones are pretty efficient. It really brings out the incredible high end and mid frequency details of the Andromeda, but doesn't provide the needed low end that these are capable of. Really it's probably more of an issue with impedance matching as the Andros are funny that way. I think I will try Neutron and see how that sounds. I've been using USBAPP as it talks with Tidal and even has some excellent EQ which helps a little.

Dec 2, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #34,425 of 100,498
I have usbAudioplayer as well, but I'm used to Neutron, and I thought the main benefit of the USB player was to be able to go digital out to another device. I tried the line out into an ALO National amp to drive my Campfire Orion: while I thought it sounded good before, the bass just became so much more tactile and powerful with the amp (I hate stacking portable gear, though).
Speaking of USB line out my Pioneer won't connect via Bluetooth to my car stereo, and the only other option is to connect via USB. I have an otg cable, but haven't figured out how to connect. Any ideas?
(been tempted to get an Andromeda...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back