The discovery thread!
Nov 13, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #34,231 of 100,119
Tiandirenhe Upgrade DIY MMCX Cable for Shure SE215 SE425 SE535 SE846 Earphone Headphone AUX 3.5mm Wire with Heat Shrink Tubing
http://s.aliexpress.com/YNZR77NJ
(from AliExpress Android)

Looks like a relatively decent choice. I've noticed some of the cables I was looking at are the same price as they were during the sale!

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #34,232 of 100,119
The graphene bass dynamics seem to tighten over some time but it is the BAs that change the most over extended burn in which ultimately balances out the sound over time. This is the reason why I cringe when I see reviews saying how V shaped the sound is. To me no one here on headfi has given them more head time and tried so many combinations of tips and cables and mine has a complete cohesive sound and imaging is fine on my pair as well. They sound more like a 2.1 in ear speaker presentation, similar to how Sony does their XBA earphones. They do have more of a fun musical sound signature than anything analytical in the end and are completely enjoyable but has a catch.

The one thing I dislike about the DM5 is that they do need a much longer run in period than most earphones. But in the end it will be worth the trouble to burn them in real good and try them with different sources. Once you get that synergy right. You will know it.

Excellent information here @Dsnuts ..
I will edit my original post if I can get them to be a bit more balanced sounding with more burnin.. I have already tried several tips including Comply T400.. I even cut some tiny foam discs and inserted them into the tips (securely so they don't fall into my ears!), but they are still very V'd.. I blew all my $$ on the LZ-A4 so I can't afford any copper cables yet, but I saved the ones on Amazon that you recommended (maybe they'll be cheap on Black Friday??).

But the one thing I can still do is plenty of burn in..
Trust me, I DON'T want to give up on these.. I paid $65 so I definitely want to get my money's worth out of them..
But thanks for all your advice on these. :)

Nov 13, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #34,234 of 100,119
Auglamour RT-1 with AG1-BT shipped with no issues (NiceHCK). It was insanely cheap on 11.11 with coupons, around 40$ for the whole bundle.
The thing is, it is still very inexpensive, it is 58$ for the colorful option with BT module. Initially I wasn't going to get the BT module but this ended up being just a couple of dollars more than just the RT-1 and I had to go for it just for the sake of trying it.
I am 100% sure now that this wasn't a mistake on their part, it would've been fixed by now, the colorful version probably has a promotional price, kinda weird that they are not advertising this all over the place.

E: I was corrected, this post was misleading, explanation is few posts below.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #34,235 of 100,119
i got the DM5 today and out of the box its a disaster. I didnt even bother giving it a try with both the stock cables and used a pure copper cable which i have had over a few months. Even with the burnt in copper cable the DM5 is a deep narrow V shape with very narrow veiled mids and i hope this veil will vanish with burn in. So i immediately took it off and as repeatedly advised by @Dsnuts am going to put it to a long burn in. Seriously, out of the box it shouldn't sound so terrible.
The isolation is really good and i dont think those are real vents and rather a cosmetic grill perhaps. Fit for me is also super and comfort is excellent, really hoping the sound shapes up with burn in.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #34,236 of 100,119
Auglamour RT-1 with AG1-BT shipped with no issues (NiceHCK). It was insanely cheap on 11.11 with coupons, around 40$ for the whole bundle. The thing is, it is still very inexpensive, it is 58$ for the colorful option with BT module. Initially I wasn't going to get the BT module but this ended up being just a couple of dollars more than just the RT-1 and I had to go for it just for the sake of trying it.
I am 100% sure now that this wasn't a mistake on their part, it would've been fixed by now, the colorful version probably has a promotional price, kinda weird that they are not advertising this all over the place.

Here is the link.

I talked with them. Here's the answer to my message where I pointed out the strange price differences:

"It is during the activity so we can not modify it,
Thank you for reminding, thank you very much."

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #34,237 of 100,119
I talked with them. Here's the answer to my message where I pointed out the strange price differences:

"It is during the activity so we can not modify it,
Thank you for reminding, thank you very much."

Haha, I just can't wait to see what I'll receive. NiceHCK has been amazing in the past and this whole thing ended up being slightly out of character. I don't understand why they didn't contact me and try to fix it in a proper manner. They shipped something, I'll report back when it arrives. Maybe it ends up just being my lucky day.

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #34,238 of 100,119
C1B380FF-7E53-4EC8-B000-358A7F05A8C3.png
Ya I know. I also know Aliexpress will probably have another big Holiday sale. I will keep tabs on it. As nice and good a deal it is on Amazon or ebay for cables. Both sites have nothing on Aliexpress for cables.
Case in point. I could have bought this thing here for $36!!! It is now double. Aha. hind sight is always 20/20!
I got the 2 pins equivalent

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #34,241 of 100,119
Wish I bought it at that price. Will do next time. In the mean while I am looking at a crazy 16 core hybrid for my old IM03
s-l1600.jpg
Might have to bite on this bad boy. Never tried my IM03 in balanced.

Just wondering how many cores are good enough for commuting usage. I didn't want it to be too stiff.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #34,243 of 100,119
I like 8 cores but 4 is fine as well. Depends on the thickness of the material. Some 4 cores is just as nice as 8 cores. 16 cores is a bit on the thick side but for my IM03 that 16 core cable was the best one I could find at a reasonable price. Seems it was meant to be I grabbed the last balanced version just now.

No matter the cores as long as you can wear the cable over the ear it should eliminate microphonics. Never had issues with an 8 core or 4 core worn that way.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #34,244 of 100,119
Didn't know graphene was a type of carbon type driver. The way they describe it, it seems to be a variation of the carbon nanotube driver. This explains why bass is so good on them graphene drivers. That Ibasso single dynamic sounds interesting. Wll keep a watch out for impressions of that one.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #34,245 of 100,119
Didn't know graphene was a type of carbon type driver. The way they describe it, it seems to be a variation of the carbon nanotube driver. This explains why bass is so good on them graphene drivers. That Ibasso single dynamic sounds interesting. Wll keep a watch out for impressions of that one.

Maybe we should level up abit. I'm looking at massdrop plus based on this Tier A- ranking
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cri...ies-lcdi4-isine20-cipher-updated-8-11.857498/

Not sure how accurate it is but I think it doesn't work to use it as a reference IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back